Profile For Alfred G.

Alfred G.'s Info

FL

Preparing For School

3 years, 6 months ago

Alfred G.'s Bio

I'm searching, looking, and praying to find the best route to get my CDL. I am here because I want to be.

Is this common? (trucking schools baiting people to come in)

Do any/many others do this? I've seen ads for CRST, Celadon, and Roehl seeking CDL trainees lately. I'll double check the ads, as I don't like TDI presently fishing for students deceptively.

BTW, I've checked with Prime, Knight, and CREngland for sponsored training already. Closed doors there, and not all due to location.

I know that if Roehl is hiring in FL then they will train and pay you to get your CDL. Fill out an app with Roehl and then give them a call, you will talk to someone directly with Roehl and they will fill you in on the Get your cdl program.

A month back I did contact Roehl, specifically since they are up near Illinois (up north). I asked if they were hiring out of FL, she said yes, and said they'd fly me down (every 3-4 weeks) for hometime. I discounted it initially, but realized they took care of drivers. I replied to her email, but she didn't respond.

Hawk, do you work for Roehl? If so I'd like to ask you questions about them. I clicked on your name, but didn't see a link to PM you. I'd like to hear more, specifically about flatbeds, their specialty. I'd not been aware of it, yet I'm game.

Werner Regional Dollar General

I was a store manager for DG..trust me the jib is hard. The money sounds good but you are going to work for every cent of it. When they build the stores they couldn't care less about how the truck is going to get in position to unload....my store was VERY difficult. My opinion is pass on this no matter how good they make it sound.

Those warning words are gold MindFreak. Thank you!

Is this common? (trucking schools baiting people to come in)

And I just got a FL number calling me, but I let it go to voicemail.

I listened to the voicemail, and it was the same guy who I'd spoke to weeks back, the TDI recruiter saying he was calling for Werner. No thanks.

I'm grateful I'm not out there alone.

Is this common? (trucking schools baiting people to come in)

Yes, Brett, Werner does hire out of Florida. I spoke to a Werner recruiter right before walking into an (honest) school's presentation weeks back. Though I leaned towards OTR to get my initial experience, he kept pointing to the Dollar General account they'd recently landed in FL. I thought that'd be a good gig.

Then........someone asked here about the same offer. Seems it's all hands on, loading and unloading 2ce a week. Good money, but the physical demands can be daunting. I've unloaded trailers this last year, and it's no cakewalk. One of the mods forewarned us. thank-you-2.gif

Werner Regional Dollar General

I'm grateful I read this!

I spoke to a Werner recruiter 2 weeks ago, and I too was told DG regional routes were open once I got my CDL in Florida, my home state, which to me sounded good.

I had no clue as to the labor involved, which is rare. I really appreciate the imput here.

Is this common? (trucking schools baiting people to come in)

I've been planning and preparing to go to a CDL school, but I've been baited by many email advertisements looking for "CDL Trainees" in job email alerts. Considering the financial tradeoff of school, I've kept my eyes open. I looked up one today, it sounded legit, so I called one for Stevens Transport, a good company.

NOTE: I'm in Florida. Many companies don't hire out of FL.

Well, I called the 800 number in the ad. A woman answered, "recruiting". I asked if this was Stevens Transport. She hesitated, saying no, it was a CDL school. Trying to sound interested, I asked "which one?" She replied "TDI in Sanford (FL)". I said I was passing on this, then hung up.

I then called Stevens Trucking recruiting, sharing right off I was in Florida and was wondering if they were hiring out of my area. She neatly said they weren't hiring out of Florida at all. A 10 second conversation.

I'd been deceived 2 weeks back when a supposed "Werner rep" called, telling me to come for an interview in Sanford. The same address and phone number for TDI in Sanford. I asked here if it was legit before discovering that, and someone quickly replied Werner has no CDL schools themselves. My clue was when I asked some specific question to the rep, and he replied "everything would be answered in the interview". That smelled funny.

I love my family, but...

This is encouraging. I was a substitute teacher straight out of college, and did it for 10 years. I never got certified since, IMO, I would be selling out to gain family's approval (on/off/on/off). I loved subbing due to the freedom it allowed.

I even signed up for a masters in elementary education (my best age group) last fall. I "jumped in". But........I began.......and froze. Completely froze 2 weeks in. An absolutely honest heart check said "this is NOT what I want to do". I almost sold out. I was true to me, and I backed out. I can only change myself, noone else.

FL boy going to Iowa for CDL training (Iowa Central Community College)

I began looking into trucking 6 years back. And since I'm working around trucks now (Waste Management), I asked driver after driver about their experiences. I decided this was what I wanted to do myself considering all the factors.

I'm in Florida, and CDL schools abound. I looked, found out prices and offerings, and gratefully, I went to a good local school for a presentation. He told the truth, as many people had gone to $1000 schools, but they couldn't find jobs. We even had a guy listening to the presentation who'd gone to a $7000 school; he was still having trouble with maneuvers (lots of watching vs. driving). The one challenge for me: I needed a cosigner since the school is $5000. I began doing my CDL studying, as I wanted my permit before asking people to cosign.

Something happened during my time of waiting and studying. I prayed for guidance. I don't always, but this is a major decision, and I'd affect those closest to me; specifically, my 11 year old daughter. Well, one morning I was on the john, with my bible in front of me to Proverbs. I was NOT looking for anything specifically. My eyes caught 2 verses on 2 different pages. Both spoke of the danger of cosigning someone's debts. I thought "if it's bad for them, it might not be kosher for me either". I said "God, I think you're talking to me. If you don't want me to go into this, close the door. Otherwise, open it and give me eyes to see it".

That afternoon, I called 2 companies for sponsored training. One went to a recruiter's voicemail, and I spoke to the other. I'm in southern Florida, this company only hires out of northern Florida, but he recommended a website to keep looking (I honestly don't know it, plus I've cleared my cache numerous times since).

I checked the site for Florida jobs. And I saw a CDL school within the job listings: Iowa Central Community College's Transportation Technology Center. They train people from all over the nation constantly. But what caught my attention for this school is something I have NOT seen anywhere else yet: they take federal financial aid = no cosigner. Wow.

I stayed on the site for an hour or 2, considering all things affected. I realize I'd been given my answer. I'm almost in (still have to fax my paperwork), but I've done my financial aid paperwork and have been studying for my FL permit. I have no legal or medical barriers. Here is my list of pros:

3rd best school in the country 10 weeks of training vs. 3-4 = less fear and hustle; more thorough training Lots of OTR trips with trainers (2000 miles or more) Will be offered very good jobs upon completion due to reputation only $500 for housing (covered by financial aid) school is $5500 plus $800 for fees plus housing at $500 = $6800 6 month deferment is standard for all federal student loans Less uncertainties I'll have while out there (FL has no ice, mountains, or snow AT ALL) Plus the 3 weeks following training, you're hired on with a company for OJT, given credit for it, meaning you have some experience already for many employers.

This took so much stress off me. I've been asking questions to Jamie, the first contact, and she's been very helpful. This is my plan, and I'm heading towards it. Has anyone else been there?

Nitty gritty on Werner?

I'm grateful I read this. I called Werner about new grad offerings, and he mentioned the Dollar General account in FL, my home state. Thanks guys for the comments.

High Road Training question: how long might it take to get through it?

I just wanted to ask this since I'm prepping for my CDL schooling in late June, and I'm needing my permit.

I've spent nearly 8 hours so far studying and testing. I'm wondering how much more I'll need to study since I'm only 20% done, and I just finished the Driving Safely section. It's been 2 weeks since I began, working a lot too.

I actually didn't think there was so much information. I like school, I enjoy studying, but I don't wish to put myself in a corner by not being ready. How long might it take to go through the High Road training program?

Werner Student Driver Program--Seeking specifics

Werner does not have a sponsored training program. You would go to a school and Werner would reimburse you. In my case, I got a loan for school and Werner pays a certain amount per month and then two large amounts at your 6 month and year marks.

There is no amount of time that you have to work for them, but if you leave, they stop reimbursement at that point.

Thank you for informing me! I was not given enough information on our call. I'd been studying (and still am) for my CDL permit since Sage advised getting it, along with pre-hire letters, to approach possible co-signers, as I'll need one.

Essentially, TDI would be sharing all their info with a requirement to get a cosigner for a student loan. I'm going to stick with Sage: it's less expensive, and it's 1 on 1 instruction. He didn't hide info either.

Again, thank you! I was spared a lot of time, and disappointment :-)

Werner Student Driver Program--Seeking specifics

I suspected TDI was their training school, so I looked up "Sanford CDL". The phone number and address the Werner rep gave me match TDI's number and address.

I went to Sage for a seminar last week, and Sage focuses on 1 on 1 training, citing other schools as counting your time watching (on the sidelines) as instruction time. One attendee at the Sage seminar said he went to TDI, and he confirmed it was true. I didn't hear why he was at Sage that night.

I know school's main job is to have you pass the CDL. I'm just wishing to be aware of pros (financial) and cons (not being trained adequately). I will look up TDI here on TT

Werner Student Driver Program--Seeking specifics

While sitting here studying for my Florida CDL permit in TruckingTruth, I got a call from Werner. I'd contacted them recently for driver training offerings (first), then about positions open once I have my CDL (since I've looked at schooling privately too).

He called regarding the Student Driver Program, and wondered if I was still looking. I said yes, and in 5 minutes asked me basic background questions and gave me a meeting location for a personal interview, 2 days from now.

I'm writing here since I am seeking specifics on my personal requirements. The recruiter neatly said all my questions will be answered at my interview, but since my actions affect my family (time commitments) I'm seeking answers here. I did not find Werner on the Company Sponsored CDL training page--and if I missed it please point me to it.

How long must I drive with them if I commit to their program? How much does their training cost? I'll likely be training in Sanford, FL. I spoke to a Werner rep last week, and he said regional routes were open to me in my state. Might they still be offered if I go through their training (vs. private training)? Any monies needed for lodging or food while schooling?

I know most other basics. And I am grateful this support lies here.

Prime's CDL apprentice school--preparing to go

Ok, I signed up today for Prime's CDL training program today. I got a call from 2 people in their office, and I'm set to start 2 weeks from now. I've thought of my vehicle, my house goods, my relationships, my present job....and those are all things HERE. I'm seeking imput on being ready for the trucking lifestyle OUT THERE.

1. I've learned bringing one's own food is smart, as one can't survive well off truckstop food. Do any truckers travel and use crockpots? I've survived off one for 5 years now, so I'm wondering. Food ideas are important to me, for if I eat well, I feel good about myself.

2. I've been a Florida boy my whole life, but I'm hearing it's snowing still in NY--and it's April. I am wearing longjohns at this moment (I rode motorcycles 10 years, and it hit 65 this morning--cool for humid FL), but what clothing might I need now in Northern states in spring? I'll pick up more clothing in time, but baggage space is limited presently :-)

3. Are phone headsets legal while driving? I'd heard no last year, so I'm wondering.

4. Last one for now: I drink a lot of coffee now, yet I know it can dim awareness in any arena. How do truckers stimulate their physical bodies to remain alert for driving? I've planned on walking some each rest stop (even 5 minutes), and I am open to ideas not commonly spoken of, the "good" ideas some dismiss. I'm into supplements and naturopathic remedies myself.

Thank you for replying!

Alfred

Newbie seeking imput: "free" CDL training with companies

Question about Prime I'm considering:

Will I be strongly advised/pushed into a lease once finished with my trainer?

I ask since I read this from Ranting Warrior:

"It turns out there was a catch. This trucking company offered me schooling if I stayed with them for a year, a free bus ride to the state of the school, advance money for food and housing, and they would pay for the CDL fee. Well hot damn - I was there!! I wouldnt even need to bring my bank card. But wait....you get all that alright, but after training, you are only a company driver for 6 months, at which time they offer you a leasing deal. If you refuse the lease to become your own boss, than they can not guarantee you a company driver position, which means you will be 6 months short of paying off the schooling. Which means you had better find another job ASAP. I dont know too much about the whole leasing thing, but I do know its not for me. I think the lease they were offering was anywhere from $690-$900 a week depending on the truck. In a business I know next to nothing about, I do not want to risk it. Brett has a great article on leasing called So You're Thinking About Becoming An Owner Operator?, and I agree 100% with him. You should check it out."

I am looking into Prime currently, so I'm wondering if I should be aware of this myself.

Career training: is there funding for CDL training?

In 2010, I was unemployed. Looking for work, I somehow learned that since I was unemployed, I was eligible to be trained for another vocation, for free by the US government. I looked into trucking then. I was as good as in, but I had one medical block, and I couldn't go through with my CDL. I've since cleared my medical block and have recently done my DOT physical just to be sure.

But I've read some posts on here about people getting funded by these sources. Is this correct? I'm in FL, and am seeking CDL training possibilities.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Newbie seeking imput: "free" CDL training with companies

Hey I just finished going through Prime's training program and am waiting in the hotel for my company trainer right now. I have heard bad things about CRST but I don't know, maybe I just got bad information. CRST, Swift, Prime, and CR England were the companies I was choosing between when I was in your spot a few weeks ago; I ended up choosing Prime in the end. I came in never driving a manual in my life and knowing nothing of trucks/trucking. I had a good recruiter who would text me and stuff, the hotel, food, and bus fare was all paid for. After 1 year you are free of any payment for the training program, there is a 7 day grace period if you decide trucking isn't for you. I think I made the right choice

Thanks. I'm looking at Prime now. I'd originally dismissed it for one reason: being away from home (and my daughter) for a full year. But even on their site it says one can pull out in 6 months if needed (and they'll have some tuition reimbursement though). I originally told her 6-8 months I'd be gone, so I'm looking at them now. CRST says 10 months minimum, no alternatives.

Also, I looked up the team driving reading: it did ask some good questions. Team driving may make some choices less possible with a stranger. I'm grateful I was given that reading.

Newbie seeking imput: "free" CDL training with companies

This is my first post here. My name's Alfred, and I'm looking into trucking. I am working for peanuts currently (though my bills are paid), yet I'm moving towards getting my CDL-A. I'm working for Waste Management as a temp (not driving), and I'm looking at returning within a year as an experienced driver. I know I'll have to do some time OTR.

I looked into 3 local schools. My biggest block is my credit. Trucking schools don't use federal financial aid, so I'd be dependent on my personal credit. It's not too good, not too bad.

And I looked into company sponsored CDL schooling. I called Swift first, but they're not recruiting in FL, my home state. I looked into Prime and CRST too....and CRST seems more attractive to me, mostly since a recruiter called and texted me (just being honest :-) ) However, I'm curious if team driving, CRST's norm, is best for me or not. I think it'd be nice, but TT's founder did not advise team driving for new drivers. Can someone explain the "not so obvious" reasons?

And more simply: it doesn't truly matter which company I'm working to train with. I've looked over the company sponsored CDL training page (though I've not looked over every company). I'll relook once I've posted this.

I am open to feedback. I've eyed CRST simply since.....it's an open door. I'll take any cues here.

Thank you all for your help, as this forum offers a LOT of help.