Profile For firemedic2816

firemedic2816's Info

Walton, KY

Considering A Career

4 years ago

firemedic2816's Bio

Retired Assistant Fire Chief/Firefighter/Paramedic of 22+yrs. Looking at getting back into the trucking world.

Death Smiles at EVERYONE....FIREFIGHTERS SMILE BACK

My first blowout

One of my fears when I got my permit was a blowout. I was afraid I would lose control of the vehicle or something.

Had my first blowout tonight. What sucks is this was a repower from a driver who drove it from Florida to Wi. He told me he was having air leaks but couldn't find them. Said his truck indicator would come on while parked. He never stopped at a TA to have it checked. Now I'm ping to be late for his 90 smh. Only 180 miles to go

sorry.gif

Headaches?

Absolutely heat can cause headaches. Try Gatorade or Powerade, MOST headaches are caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Just because you are "Hydrated" doesn't mean your electrolytes are balanced.

Can heat cause headaches? Air conditioning? The cooler we just got? (only the timing makes me question this...that and the smell of it the first day or two as it cooled down). I'm going on my third night, and my husband his second day, of a near blinding headache that Tylenol barely touches. We aren't dehydrated. We don't have high blood pressure. I'm at my wits end because I can't get it to go away!! Anyone have any suggestions or know of possible causes?

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

The Internet is FULL of USEFUL accurate information (if it's online it HAS to be true LOL) I don't know much about Swift except for they are one of THE LARGEST carriers in the United States and you don't get that way by being a BAD Company. If you want to know about a COMPANY Call THEM or ask drivers on here....When I was researching for a company to go to, I went to the local truck stops (there are about 8 with in 10 miles of my house) I simply researched them online, and when I found one I liked I headed to the truck stops. I would see them in the Restaurants and politely tell them my intentions and ask if I could pick their brain about their company for a moment. The ones that agreed to let me pick their brains, ended up getting the tab picked up by me. I learned a lot about different companies BY ASKING DRIVERS....Recruiters are there to get Tails in the driver seat, (many are honest, other's are just trying to make a dollar)

Don't trust EVERYTHING you read ON LINE....Put some miles on them shoes and ASK PEOPLE

I'm getting down to it. Well, almost. The bug has bitten me and I'm about ready to start applying, and I've narrowed the list down to either Roehl or Central. I'm looking for something with zero payment down, which I know is hard to find, but it's all I can afford right now. Only question is - I'm on medication (Prozak)...Will that blow my chances at becoming a driver?

I know Roehl requires you to take the CDL exam before applying, I've been through their site, watched the videos, yadda yadda.

DOT Medical Examination Report Form Questions 15, 31 and 32

The answer to those questions are NO...Simple Enough

Will I be washed up and unemployable if I answer the questions on the DOT Medical Examination Report Form as follows:

15. Fainting or passing out? Yes

Only 1 time. About 10 years ago I passed out for about 15 seconds while eating at greasy spoon restaurant but it has never happened again.

31. Have you used an illegal substance within the past two years? yes

If I take the DOT Physical say 6 months from now ( but am able to pass a hair follicle or UA test issued by my driving school which is required for enrollment ) however am honest about my past of smoking marijuana will I be sunk? From my understanding the DOT Physical does not involve a drug test yet I'm sure the results to the questionnaire would be available for the employer to read.

32. Have you ever failed a drug test or been dependent on an illegal substance? No I've only taken 1 drug test in my whole life about 16 years ago which I passed and have never been strung out on anything.

Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.

My Swift Journey, cont.

Maximum Effort...Maximum Reward

Been a while, so here goes...

Made quite a tour of the western part of the US...Washington, California, Utah, Oregon, etc. I did my first set of team driving from California to New Mexico, where my mentor took over. I woke up today to the word that we were headed back to Oklahoma for a 34 hour reset, then team driving running dedicated for Hobby Lobby. My mentor said we'll be running our butts off, but we'll make good money, I'll gain some good experience and we'll most likely be getting weekends off back at home. Sounds good to me! My backing is slooooowwwwllly getting better. I'm getting the concept but I don't think my trainer is comfortable yet with me attempting backups without him spotting. I'll get there though. I did my first blind side backing the other day and it went okay. Haven't hit anything yet! Lol

So far still loving the whole experience. I drove all night the other day and actually enjoyed it, minus not being able to see poorly painted center lines in Arizona. Made it one piece though, which is ultimately the goal.

Maximum Effort!

My Swift Journey, cont.

Was gonna say Hell's Kitchen is in NYC last I checked, have couple buddies on the engine company there...Safe travels

I also meant to say Hell's Canyon, not Hell's Kitchen. Two totally different locations...stupid auto-correct.

Got my CDL Permit n' Ready to Roll!

I always say it ONLY Becomes a Mistake if you FAIL to learn from it...Everything else is a learning and growing opportunity ...

The best piece of advice I can give is to RELAX! The more frustrated you get at yourself, the more you will struggle.

School will be incredibly hard. Then you go to training. And that's even harder. Then they send you out solo. And that's the hardest of all.

But it's all a learning experience. If you make a mistake, learn from it! And don't make that mistake again...

But most importantly, HAVE FUN! This is by far the coolest thing I have ever done. And honestly, I can't imagine ever doing anything else!

Millis Transfer - Eden, NC - Start Date: 5/31/2016

Woo Hoo have fun. Let me know who your trainer is... I went through Trenton but no longer with the company for medical reasons. I am currently it talks with Jim Palmer Trucking out of Mizzolu Montana, they are owned by Wil-Trans and haul Reefer units with Prime. The next 6 weeks are going to be the HARDEST time of driving. (depending on your trainer) you are either going to love it or hate it...just push through it and remember the big picture as to why you are out there..to get your own truck. Most likely when it's said and done you will probably get a 2014 T-680

Week 3

My third week at Millis's CDL school was all about driving... learning/practicing smooth take-offs, shifting, down-shifting, braking, turning... and, of course, using the Qualcomm. The truck seating arrangement was student driver, instructor in the shotgun and the other 2 students in the sleeper area, which is outfitted with seats for road-training. Millis runs Kenworth 10 speeds... we drove a T700 all this week.

All three of us, in my class, drove everyday... Mon-Fri... typically a little over 100 miles each, each day. Plenty of time to feel good, and bad, at various points throughout the week about one's performance. Four of the days this week, we headed out in morning and drove country roads, city roads, State highways and Interstates. One day this week, we timed our departure so as to complete our "night-driving" requirement. We drove in no traffic, lots of traffic, long stretches at a time and in stop-and-go/traffic light after traffic light situations. We drove on flat straight roads and on roads with lots of curves and hills.

I think all of us, students, would agree that the most challenging situations faced this week was driving at dusk (and after dark) in/through a very heavy thunderstorm. With the rain coming down in buckets... and the wind blowing us about a bit... driving/navigating in stop-and-go traffic was a bit nerve-racking. Luckily... our instructor had a good plan. Just about the time we all needed a break, an opportunity to get out the truck for a bit and collect our thoughts... he had just happened to have navigated us to nice little "distraction" for dinner, the Tilted Kilt in Raleigh :-).

Bottom line, another great week at Millis. After three weeks of instruction, I am still impressed with the program here in Eden, NC. Next week, Monday and Tuesday, will be our "orientation" days. After that, we will coordinate/meet up with our trainers/mentors and join them, in their trucks, for our 15,000 miles of OTR training.

Cash or credit

Proven fact if a "Gas station" JUST Sold GAS it would go OUT of business, they make ALL THEIR Money on the INSIDE.

I believe "in my opinion" that the reason the price is cheaper when paid by cash is because more than likely when you actually go into the store to pay cash you are more likely to pick up a few other items. Such as cigarette, lotto ticket, candy, gum, soda, anything. Like I said my opinion.

What's a good company to start out with?

The UNIBOMBER??? REALLY??? That is the best you could come up with comparing yourself to a domestic terrorist. Sir I have SEEN Theodore and thankfully YOU ARE NOT HIM

Blue Hotel,

I’m not judging you, but I feel sad for the way you view the world. We all get to choose, and you have obviously made a lousy choice. But it’s your right to choose. And at this point….that’s OK.

If you read what Old School wrote and all you can say is you're wrong, then you plain refuse to believe the truth son. And actually, I consider you being down right disrespectful to someone who has earned your respect.

The folks I read in this forum are trying help people out by telling them the truth.

No matter what, you’ll never hear it. If you took that same determination and applied it positively to your life, the sky would be the limit. You are blinded and there ain’t anything any of us can do about that.

In my opinion, your not worth the risk of negatively affecting anyone else in here.

I don’t hate ya Dude, its worse…I don’t respect you.

I’m done with you, and it's your fault.

I don't need your respect. I'm an internet person who you don't know, "respect" outside of common courtesy is irrelevant here. Expressing a disagreeing opinion, no matter how negative, isn't disrespect. It's just a differing opinion. I've been through hell and back in my life, so I feel I have the right to weigh in on the realities of work and life in America. Will I always be right? No. And neither will anyone else. The opinions I expressed were polite. You, on the other hand, are a bit rude (just a bit).

If blindly agreeing with whatever someone says is respect, then I want nothing to do with it. That isn't respect, that is thoughtlessness. I don't even want anyone to blindly agree with me.

A lot of times there will be things, places, people, jobs, situations, etc that are just bad. Is it like this all the time? No, but we'd be stupid to act like bad stuff never happens. It's tough kid, but it's life.

If you can't stand "negativity" then you won't make it in any job anywhere doing anything. Toughen up. Grow up. If other people on this board are going to be drastically impacted by anything anyone here has to say, then you have to wonder about their mental state. We're forum posters, not gods. Nobody even really knows us that well. I could be the unibomber and you could be some inmate somewhere using a smuggled smartphone to post. Take everything everyone online says with a grain of salt or ten. It's so impersonal, "respect" barely comes into play.

If you don't acknowledge the bad, you won't be prepared to handle it when it comes. And it does come, it's part of life.

But I apologize, let's get back on topic out of "respect" for the original poster.

What's a good company to start out with?

So you believe EVERYTHING You READ ON GOOGLE?

If this is illegal, then it doesn't happen.

Firstly, companies do illegal stuff all the time. You can just Google this, look up "employer labor law violations." Do you honestly believe companies are managed in the most squeaky clean way? Illegal stuff happens, even in trucking. I don't know how often trucking companies do try to pressure people into lease-purchase, but enough people are saying they try. Of course, they can't force you to do anything. All they can do is treat you differently for not accepting a lease-purchase offer, or fire you for a made up reason. This happens across the world in every industry and every field of work all the time.

This is corporate America we're talking about, the law doesn't matter to them. They have company lawyers and contracted law firms on retainer and politicians in their pockets.

As far as contradicting myself goes, I don't see the contradiction at all. There are bad workplaces in the world, plenty of them. But instead of blaming management, which often plays an active role in making workplaces bad, too many people blame the workers for being "bad workers." And, in your mind, the company and management are squeaky clean.

#Upgrade...ah yeah!

Sounds like a country song.....NO??? Ok maybe just me...CONGRATS BROTHER We wanna see the new pickup when you get it

Oh my god...someone please auto correct this post LOL.

*Gave me advice & *Darkest hours

Sorry...I'm celebrating tonight before the Greydog ride.

Pam/Driver solutions Contract

I talked to PAM Transport and you HAVE TO TEAM your 1st 6 months to a YEAR. And usually you are not 2 rookies on a truck.

Javon, when you talked with your PAM recruiter, did you talk about team? I know you started out thinking team would be good then changed your mind.

I'm guessing at PAM's policies, but are they a "team only" company? If not you should be able to say "No, tanks" and stick to your guns. In reading about teams in TT, I've come to the conclusion that solo makes about as much money, and you don't have the headaches of living in a small box with another human.

I'm feeling better

Any time we did AB outta St. Louis we always topped our fuel tanks off. 1st time we rolled across the scales we where at 76500 so they had us go around fork lift came out and opened the trailer put some more in and closed it up, went across the scale at 78950...They said "Good enough I guess" and of course we where driving a KW with that stupid PACCAR Motor that couldn't get out of it's own way. But we got'er done

Get ready to be there a while. They'll work and rework the load to get as much as they can on the truck, you'll be leaving as close as you'll ever get to 80k so make sure you follow any notes you've received regarding fuel level because they can be sticklers about that too.

I'm feeling better

How long ago where you in the NAST...Cincinnati? I use to work security there, curious what company has security there now would LOVE to get back. Yes that is a very unsafe neighborhood, I watched at least 3 homicides IN BROAD DAY LIGHT in my 2 +yrs there. Still not as scary as the places in South Side of Chicago I use to hang out in but still keep your head on a swivel

I had one from Samuel Adams in Cincinnati and it was a scary place... the truck were outside the gates and cracked addicts were approaching the drivers. I carried a hammer to slide my tandems and check the seal number. The 3 stops on that were TINY lots with one door and hard. So GOAL.

That one was in totes and every once in awhile I could feel a surge like thw tankers. When I did bud lite it was just like any other load and the customer was easy.

Well NOW I'M CONFUSED

Heard a ton of talk about going with Jim Palmer Trucking, was all set to get the ball rolling and then someone suggested PRIME....I have ZERO Intention of doing Rent-a-truck or O/O just want a decent company I can run my wheels off, take EVERY LOAD I can get and get home to the Family. Not sure who to go with. The both basically offer the SAME to newbie drivers. Any suggestions ONE OVER THE OTHER????? NO I DO NOT HAVE a CDL so need a DECENT Company that I can School with and hang out with for a year or so. Thanks In advance

Lazy truckers?

Agreed. Had a buddy of mine dispatched on a load that was going 80 miles down the road. Well being the arrogant A HOLE He told dispatch to have regional driver do it. There was another driver that took that trip. When she marked empty avail after the 80 mile run she had to dead head 10 miles down the road and got a run going from Georgia to California....That other guy would have had that run but he didn't want to do the little 80 mile run. Don't refuse runs EVERY Mile counts. Sometimes your dispatcher may need to you to do a little sprint to set you up for a marathon run...SMH Some people's children

I'm starting to realize that the more I'm at the terminal or truck stops I hear some drivers complain about how they are not miles & this company sucks, that company sucks but then I later head them say "oh they gave me a load out west, I don't run out west" or "this load is only a few miles I'm not doing it". This leads me to believe all these guys who bash companies or complain about miles probably are either lazy or just too dang picky. You can't complain about miles then you get a 800 mile load to Oregon & then say I'm not taking a load out west because I don't like the mountains....crazy. This is why I separate myself from the crowds at the terminal or truck stops. I have no problem getting miles & I accept ALL loads. Just a thought I had on my mind. What do you guys think?

Western Pacific Truck School - The Road to Failure

Gonna get to know the truck stops real well

No one will care to help you and trust me you will need it, especially in the beginning.

That should already be evident from the results so far. And this is the easy part! The schooling is nothing. Wait til you're in Downtown Chicago during Friday rush hour in a thunderstorm or trying to ease 78,000 pounds down an 11 mile long mountain grade in the Rockies in mid-January at night on snow-covered roads when you can only see 100 feet in front of you. Sure is gonna be nice to have someone there making sure you don't kill yourself, ya know?

Attitude is everything.

And you'll like this G-Town.......the other thing people don't realize is that truckers are at the mercy of everyone they come across. Everyone from four wheelers on the highway to traffic police, DOT officers, dispatchers, load planners, safety officers, shipping clerks, dock workers, waitresses and cooks, and fuel island attendants. Wait until Ryan gets out there and starts telling everyone just how stupid and incompetent he thinks they are. That dude is gonna sit around on his *ss doing nothing more often than a kangaroo without legs! He's gonna get traffic tickets, fail DOT inspections, sit in parking lots for hours waiting to load and unload, get his food spit on, get the fewest miles of anyone on his dispatcher's board, and get home late every single time.

I've seen it a million times. It's so predictable it's not even interesting anymore to wonder how things are going to turn out.

Western Pacific Truck School - The Road to Failure

I just found this post and my head hurts. I am no way a professional Driver, but went through CDL School AFTER Doing TONS Of Research. Every Minute I was NOT behind the wheel I was Watching and Learning from THE OTHERS...This guy has issues.

Flattie is Officially leaving for Company training!

I have to pay Millis Back $5200 and they just kicked it to Collections and I am paying that back over time. If I can get back on the road I will pay it back faster

I have to add aditional 30% to whatever I owe them plus the $4,400. When Maverick verified my school they called and send info to Swift that actually took 2 days to make sure I'm not in contract with them. Swift verified it, as long as I pay them back it's all good.

Maverick then approved me to go for their orientation but I joined Abilene instead.

$5720.00. Wow,...I am sure you have your reasons.