Profile For Freebird

Freebird's Info

Mesa, AZ

Rookie Solo Driver

6 years, 3 months ago

Freebird's Bio

Attended AIT in Phoenix, AZ and recently passed the test. Starting my career with May Trucking. Look forward to the adventure.

Barr nunn, marten transport or crete carrier!? :)

So, I've come to the decision that I'm going back over the road. I've looked into companies and like crete, barr nunn or marten.

Crete offers otr 21 days out 48 states at .47 cpm and say avg of 2700-2900 miles a week. No bonuses that I know of.

BARR nunn has .51 cpm and as a new driver you get an extra .05 for the first 90 days. Seen and heard an avg of 2500 miles per week. Only east coast but their main terminal is a suburb of my home town.

Marten cpm is like .38 BUT they offer nice hourly pay for weather issues, detention, and layover.

In all honesty the pay will probly come out to closely the same +/- few thousands.

I plan on staying out 2-3 months at a time for the year of 2018. Working and just stacking paper.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out who to go with. I'm a good driver. Drive hard when given the miles.

What are your thoughts or insight into some of these companies I'm deciding from?

Thank you!!!

Any current barr nunn drivers?

I appreciate all of your guys response and honesty. That's what's great about TT. You get "real" responses. Not ppl going off on a rant about the good or bad.

I spoke with a recruiter today more in depth. I'm one who has a hard time trusting them because the business they're in is to get you in the door and they'll do whatever it takes.

I like the pay scale, the main terminal is 20 minutes away, the bonuses and their equipment sounds good. However, their layover pay and detention pay (although it is after only an hour) doesn't sound promising.

Layover is $50 the first 34 hours, then 50$ every 24 hrs after that. To me, that is horrid. Slow freight and your out on the road getting $50 a day, say something that the planner or dispatcher takes the wrong way, your starving.

They've offered me a job band set up an orientation but I'll be taking some time to think about the switch.

That layover pay worries me, cause I know there are slow times where you sit and I'm not one who really wants to be sitting out there for only 50$ a day. I'm wanting to make the 1500-1700 They claim their drivers average on a weekly basis.

Thanks again guys!

Any current barr nunn drivers?

Lol they might. I don't wanna get tied up to a chair in the dungeon man.

True about the miles. But with .51 cpm wasn't sure if the average miles even good drivers get would me much lower than with a company paying .41 cpm.

Thanks for the response.

Any current barr nunn drivers?

Looking for what's the miles like weekly and if their reputation is good? Your thoughts of company? Is the pay as great as they advertise?

Thanks for your time and appreciate the info!

May Trucking

I'miss on my last week and half of my first three months solo with May. I chose the flat rate pay option when I started. I was getting great miles the first 10 weeks I was out. Went on home time this past week and just got back on truck October 31st. I am now getting short hauls and sitting quite a bit. Giving me 500 mile run that can be done in 1 day but doesn't deliver for 2 days.

What im getting to is I'm actually losing money right now because these short hauls are decreasing my bonus money I get at the end of my 3 months. I had a feeling the company would do this when I first started. I'm very upset that they would do that. Whatever can save company money they do. Greed.

I'm biting my lip and keeping my mouth shut but I'd love to say something to the company. I know it'd hurt me in long run so I decided to vent on TT and let future may drivers know they may also do this to them.

SF/Oakland Bay Bridge

Thank you guys for responses. Appreciate it. Going with the atlas.

SF/Oakland Bay Bridge

I'm 33 miles away going Bay Bridge. Other route is 78 miles. So about 45 minutes to hr

SF/Oakland Bay Bridge

2017

SF/Oakland Bay Bridge

Quick question. I've got 14 ft trailer and needing to go into downtown SF. My deliver just after crossing Bay Bridge. I got my gps set at 14' buy it keeps routing around it but if I set it at 13'6" it takes me over it. I looked up the clearance on Google and I think it was Wikipedia had clearance 14 ft. However I look at atlas and it don't have it listed as a low clearance under California low clearances. I know they redid the bridge sometime but not sure when that was. Maybe Wikipedia got wrong height. Idk. Just thought I'd ask TT if anyone knows for sure? Just a bit confused. My routing directions tell me to cross Bay Bridge.I've asked company to confirm but no answer yet. Thank you

Posted:  6 years ago

Waiting on load

I was suppose to pick up a pre-load at 1300 today. It has now turned into a 7 hour live load. This is crazy. Lol.

First time I've had to wait more than 2 hours to get loaded in the short time I've been solo. How often has this happened to you?

Posted:  6 years ago

Load/tandem movement question

Stupid question real quick. Lol Does it matter rather truck is loaded half or full on where to put the tandems if both loads weigh exactly the same?

So one load is filled half or 3/4 the trailer and weighs 40500. The other load is loaded clear back to doors and weighs the same 40500.

Would you put tandems in same hole on both loads or move it back a couple on trailer that filled to the doors?

Posted:  6 years ago

Load temp

Freebird on top of what g town mentioned, there are a few other thing that could have happend as well, did this load go to the roof? If so one of the pallets might have blocked the air shoot. The air shoot might not be properly attached at the back of the trailer. Your in FL, it's hot if there was a temp sensor on this load, and it's at the back of the trailer and on top it could have been High 40s. I used to haul out of AZ all the time in the summer we had to run the trailer 10 to 20 degrees cooler then was recommended on frozen loaded. To keep them at or below 0. For produce we had to run on continuous, to keep are temps between 34 and 36, Walmart would put the tattle tale on the back box on top. Did the paper work say to maintain 34 or set at 34? Can I ask what you have on board, dairy or produce? Also anytime your going to change the temp on a load go thought your Dm, or get the shipper to change it on the paperwork.

It wasn't loaded to roof but clear back to the doors. It said maintain 34 degrees. No higher than 41 degrees. Doing live load call dispatch mentioned 34 start stop so that what I put it on. I was hauling yogurt which I'm bout to pour out and make a huge yogurt pool cause they just told me they rejected. Smh. Expensive trucking lesson for me. Feel bad as crap right now. I'll learn and move on and not make mistake again.

Posted:  6 years ago

Load temp

Yes, I contacted them asap. A lady in our claims department has also contacted me to let me know they sent the trailer Temps to shipper. The set point has been at 34 degrees. The actual has varied every time I looked at it on the reefer display when I stopped ranging from 34 to 38 degrees believe it or not. Must been leak somewhere that I don't see. I've walked around trailer looking. I switched it to continuous and the actual temp on display is staying at 33-34 degrees. I feel bad. Hope it all works out.

Posted:  6 years ago

Load temp

Arrived at consignee here in Florida with no problems. Backed into door and get a call from receiving office temp was out of range to pull out and park untiL further notice.

The load was to be setc at 34 degrees start stop so I set it there for trip. Had no warnings or alerts telling me of a temperature issue whole trip. Light was green whole time. Consignee is saying it was in high 40s the whole trip. Now been stuck for 8 hours waiting on if they gonna reject or accept. I'm freaking out as I'm a newbie and upset that a whole freaking load could be rejected. I'm just not sure how this happened. Anyone know how this could be possible?

Posted:  6 years ago

Florida axle/weight limits

I'm headed to Florida and was looking up their axle and gross weight limits. I'm confused. Not sure if I'm legal. My gross is 75380 I got tandems set at 6 holes from front so center of rear axle is just to rear of the 40 ft mark. Can someone explain Florida's weight limits and if I'm legal? I was thinking as long as each axle below 34000 and steers below 12350 and not over 80000 you're good for the weights.

Posted:  6 years ago

May trucking

Thanks, the comparison tool is nifty. So yah Freebird, I will probably do flat rate as well to start. Do you do all refrigerated? also, are you western 11 or all 48? thanks!

I do all 48. I'll mostly run refrigerated but you'll get dry loads once in awhile as well. The load I picked up in Dover, DE and repowered to Denver Terminal on Monday was a dry load.

While truck getting fixed company put me in hotel with breakfast and shuttle. All paid. Thank God. Didn't wanna sit there at the freightliner like some guys were. There were guys there for 4-5 days.

Posted:  6 years ago

May trucking

I decided to take their flat rate pay for now until I get some more experience out on road and find out what type of driver I am. I'd really like to go cpm but I'm a bit hesitant with being new and the winter right around the corner. If you do the flat rate you will get paid a bonus of the extra miles you drove every 3 months.

Posted:  6 years ago

May trucking

I'm with May. Got my truck august 16 and just repo were dropped my 3rd load earlier today at the Denver yard. I've been driving non stop since August 16. In that time frame I've got 5600 miles. I'm at a freightliner right nown due to a 'recall' that is only for may trucks. Wouldnt tell me exactly what it was though when I asked them. My dm is great and everyone I've met in the company are great. I've had a good experience so far with them and really happy I chose them. I'm very new but if you got any questions you'd like me to answer I'd be happy to. If I can't answer I will contact someone to get answer for you.

Posted:  6 years ago

On Duty Time- Real World Estimates

I do 10 min odnd for each thing I do.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Help..tandems?

I know this is on here but this may be quicker. For 43300 lb load good place to put tandems? I'm in delaware going to colorado. My 5th wheel in 3rd hole. Right now have tandems in 6th hole. Loadded with leveling compound to back with about 5 ft from doors. Thanks