Profile For Jesse A.

Jesse A.'s Info

Bay Minette, AL

Considering A Career

Jesse A. On The Web

6 years, 3 months ago

Jesse A.'s Bio

I'm 46. I currently work at Tractor Supply. I've always wanted to tour the country. Why not get paid while doing so.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

PackRat Thank you Sir. I can pass a physical.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

@G-TOWN Thank you. I'm finding out that I'm still a youngun compared to some of you guys. Stay Safe.

Posted:  3 months ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

John M.

Thank you sir. I will definitely look into to Bishop State. Stay safe.

Posted:  3 months ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

@Anne&Tom Thank you. You would think at my age, I would be more confident. It's not one of my best traits. However, working hard is my strongest trait. I appreciate the positivity, and the age humor. I've spent time overseas working for KBR, so time away from home isn't an issue. I guess all that's left is making one of the most important decisions in my life.

Posted:  3 months ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

@Real Diehl Thank you for the input. I will keep this in mind.

Posted:  3 months ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

Mr. BK, thank you for your reply. It means a lot. My back pain is stimulates from an injury I occurred when I was 8 years old. But, after reading your reply, it's no longer a concern. As for my age, I took the liberty of reading your profile. I see you started later in life as well. Seriously, I am thankful for your feedback. Stay safe on your travels.

Posted:  3 months ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

@Banks Thank you. I don't see a doctor for my pain. I just take Tylenol or Motrin. Just more concerned with my size.

Posted:  3 months ago

Curious - too late to become a truck driver?

I'm 46. 5'7" tall. I weigh approximately 140 pounds. I have back pain, sometimes. Is it ever too late to become a truck driver?

Clothes to take

All I pretty much wear are ****ies short sleeve workshirts.

Comfortable, durable, not that expensive. They look like "work attire" with a collar. And you can find an assortment of sizes and colors at pretty much any Walmart.

Rick

Thank you Rick. I didn't even think about that. Stay safe

Clothes to take

I went to the Memphis Academy about a year and a half ago. Wear "industrial" clothing. Collars are not necessary. You will be standing outside a lot, so comfortable shoes especially. A sun hat would be handy and a water bottle. Probably short pants would be fine.

Hey, I appreciate that Erroll. Stay safe out there.

Clothes to take

Best of luck at the academy. You know us Florida boys like to hard time you Alabama boys. No hard feelings.rofl-2.gif

No problem. I'm actually from Milton FL though. Stay Safe.

Clothes to take

I'm sure one of the Swift guys will answer, but I am almost positive they want you to wear pants and shoes as well.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Lol I was more or less asking about the shirts. Do I have to wear shirts with collars?

Clothes to take

I finally got my act together. After all of the research and getting things organized, I leave this Saturday for Memphis, TN. I will be attending Swift's Academy. I have read the manual and it says something about wearing shirts with collars. Is that all we are allowed to wear?

CDL permit

I spoke with a recruiter at CRST. She said that if I get my permit, since I would not be able to transfer it to Iowa, I would have to retake the test in Iowa. Therefore, they will help pay for it.

CDL permit

I know there are some company schools that pay you for training. Or at least feed everybody.

As for the DOT physical, they run $80-120, so ask around. I went to Swift (you buy your own grub with them) and they added a physical W/the company Dr ($40) to some people's tuition.

Thanks Erroll. Yeah, I've checked quite a few companies.

So, after a lot of research, I have decided to go to training with CRST. They will help me with my permit. Yes, I have to team drive, but we have to start somewhere. Thanks for all of the advice. God bless and good trucking.

CDL permit

Thanks Erroll. Yeah, I've checked quite a few companies.

CDL permit

How much is a permit in Alabama? In Virginia it's $3, and you have to take a few multiple choice tests at the DMV. They give you a book to study for free at DMV too. Alabama can't be that different.

$15.00 for permit, $100 for DOT physical. If you read what I wrote, I have no money due to being unemployed. I don't have help. I'm doing this all on my own.

CDL permit

I've run into a problem. I'm currently unemployed, lack funding to obtain CDL permit, and no one to help. I've checked with companies that have sponsored training, like Maverick, but because I live out of their area, I have to obtain a class a cdl first. Are there any companies that could help with obtaining a permit?

Size

Cool, thank you.

Jesse, your age is right in the average for truck drivers. I didn't start doing this until I was 53, and the week I got hired the same company hired another gentleman who was 73! Around 40 is almost perfect!

Size

Thank you for your response. It has helped. Stay safe. .

Jesse, it won't be a problem at all. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 120 and I don't have a bit of trouble. It actually makes some things easier like getting underneath the trailer.

Maybe the only thing I have trouble with is raising the hood. But I have found a way to do it that's easy for me.