Profile For Jesse A.

Jesse A.'s Info

Brewton, AL

Preparing For School

Jesse A. On The Web

3 years, 4 months ago

Jesse A.'s Bio

Hey. To start with, I have always thought of driving a truck starting from childhood. I've had different jobs over the years, but none have taken me across the country. I turned 40 on May 10, 2016. Right now, I am unemployed, I have two children, daughter 17, and son 11. I don't get to see them as often as I like to, so I figured being out for several weeks is about the equivalent to the timeframe. Plus, in a couple of years, I should be able to take my son with me when he turns 13. That's enough for now. God bless each and everyone of you and stay safe out there.

Clothes to take

All I pretty much wear are ****ies short sleeve workshirts.

Comfortable, durable, not that expensive. They look like "work attire" with a collar. And you can find an assortment of sizes and colors at pretty much any Walmart.

Rick

Thank you Rick. I didn't even think about that. Stay safe

Clothes to take

I went to the Memphis Academy about a year and a half ago. Wear "industrial" clothing. Collars are not necessary. You will be standing outside a lot, so comfortable shoes especially. A sun hat would be handy and a water bottle. Probably short pants would be fine.

Hey, I appreciate that Erroll. Stay safe out there.

Clothes to take

Best of luck at the academy. You know us Florida boys like to hard time you Alabama boys. No hard feelings.rofl-2.gif

No problem. I'm actually from Milton FL though. Stay Safe.

Clothes to take

I'm sure one of the Swift guys will answer, but I am almost positive they want you to wear pants and shoes as well.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Lol I was more or less asking about the shirts. Do I have to wear shirts with collars?

Clothes to take

I finally got my act together. After all of the research and getting things organized, I leave this Saturday for Memphis, TN. I will be attending Swift's Academy. I have read the manual and it says something about wearing shirts with collars. Is that all we are allowed to wear?

CDL permit

I spoke with a recruiter at CRST. She said that if I get my permit, since I would not be able to transfer it to Iowa, I would have to retake the test in Iowa. Therefore, they will help pay for it.

CDL permit

I know there are some company schools that pay you for training. Or at least feed everybody.

As for the DOT physical, they run $80-120, so ask around. I went to Swift (you buy your own grub with them) and they added a physical W/the company Dr ($40) to some people's tuition.

Thanks Erroll. Yeah, I've checked quite a few companies.

So, after a lot of research, I have decided to go to training with CRST. They will help me with my permit. Yes, I have to team drive, but we have to start somewhere. Thanks for all of the advice. God bless and good trucking.

CDL permit

Thanks Erroll. Yeah, I've checked quite a few companies.

CDL permit

How much is a permit in Alabama? In Virginia it's $3, and you have to take a few multiple choice tests at the DMV. They give you a book to study for free at DMV too. Alabama can't be that different.

$15.00 for permit, $100 for DOT physical. If you read what I wrote, I have no money due to being unemployed. I don't have help. I'm doing this all on my own.

CDL permit

I've run into a problem. I'm currently unemployed, lack funding to obtain CDL permit, and no one to help. I've checked with companies that have sponsored training, like Maverick, but because I live out of their area, I have to obtain a class a cdl first. Are there any companies that could help with obtaining a permit?

Size

Cool, thank you.

Jesse, your age is right in the average for truck drivers. I didn't start doing this until I was 53, and the week I got hired the same company hired another gentleman who was 73! Around 40 is almost perfect!

Size

Thank you for your response. It has helped. Stay safe. .

Jesse, it won't be a problem at all. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 120 and I don't have a bit of trouble. It actually makes some things easier like getting underneath the trailer.

Maybe the only thing I have trouble with is raising the hood. But I have found a way to do it that's easy for me.

Size

Hey Mr. Old School, I am actually glad you asked about the age. That was a slight concern. Thank you for your response.

Okay, Jesse, and sorry to bother you about the age. Often times it is these young guys who are so small. I would not worry about your size - you will be a minority, but you are probably accustomed to that already.

Like I said Daniel B. is not a big man, and he has done just fine.

I don't know if you can tell anything from this photo, but here is a shot of Daniel and I at a restaurant together. He is the younger dark haired one.

20150428_150856_zps6dutdy2v.jpg

Size

Thank you all for the responses. That helps tremendously. Oh, and no worries about the age, if you were to see me, I don't look 40.😂

Size

I just turned 40.

Jesse, my first question is how old are you? If you are really young that could be more of a problem than your size.

One of our moderators here (Daniel B.) is just about the same size as you, he has been a very successful truck driver. I met a young lady who was a flat-bed driver, and she couldn't have weighed 105 pounds - and I know she was shorter than you.

Size

Ok. This may seem dumb to some people, but I am 5'7" and I weigh approximately 120#. I know I will have to pass a DOT physical. My question is, in your professional opinion, will this be a factor as far as driving?