Profile For John B.

John B.'s Info

CA

Preparing For School

7 years, 2 months ago

John B.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  7 years ago

Prime Company Sponsored School

So once you make the initial investment you take them with you wherever you go and never have to buy another set again. I gotcha. Just some of the tools that go along with the trade like a tire gauge.

Learning as I go.

Posted:  7 years ago

Prime Company Sponsored School

Wow. You have to pay for their locks? 130 bucks for 3? Is that with all the companies or just Prime?

Posted:  7 years ago

Good hygiene and trucking

Brushing your teeth three times in a day isn't difficult. And flossing you can do while driving.

However, I think it's pretty much impossible to shower twice a day. You won't even have enough shower credits to support that so expect to be paying most of the time. I would plan on just one shower a day.

Floss while steering with your knee?

No, buy those floss picks. The ones that are plastic and have an inch of string for you to floss with. Those are used with one hand not two hands like the typical box of rolled up string.

I forgot about those.

Posted:  7 years ago

Prime Company Sponsored School

Reefer drivers will need to purchase a lock set, consisting of Abloy locks and Cuff locks before going solo.

Can you explain those? Thanks

Posted:  7 years ago

Good hygiene and trucking

Floss while steering with your knee?

Is trucking sustainable?

Todd I cant tell you what company would work for you. Its an individual choice. We all have different needs. I chose private school. Its slower paced thsn company and more individualized. I also got funding thru WIA so it was free. Alot of companies do tuition reimbursement if you do pay for it out of pocket. Research all companies that hire out of your area. Dont limit yourself to a specific location. Also think about what you want and need from trucking? And if its REALISTIC? I love my job and I love this lifestyle but it comes at a personal sacrifice. No trucker is solely in it for the money. We have "diesel in our blood".

RedGator, Who do you work for?

Three Weeks into new Job and Career

Which Company?

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

How Many Miles Do Truck Drivers Get Per Week?

Thanks for all the replies. It gives me a good idea what to expect on the paycheck.

Trucks

I trained in a volvo. Only down fall is the blinker doesnt stay on. I drove a freightshaker for months both columbia and classic. Loved the space put it pulls like crap on mountains. But Its an awesome starter truck. Really easy. Now I drive a KW T660. No damn room and it has tons of blind spots but it drives oh so well and backs up in a pinch just gotta open the door to see. Not a rookie truck for sure but its a nice truck and made for men lol Cause a woman needs more space;)

Are you talking space overall? I'm 6'3", which truck would work for me? (Or not work?)

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

How Many Miles Do Truck Drivers Get Per Week?

Thanks. That was my next question, how much you can log in the given hours.

May trucking advertises 13,000 miles a month average for solo OTR drivers, 10,000 for west coast regional.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

How Many Miles Do Truck Drivers Get Per Week?

Editor's Note: We have some fantastic information about truck driver miles:

This goes out to the experienced truckers out there. What has been your highest miles in a week or month, legally.

I hear a lot about averages but I'd like to hear about what your best week or month was.

Let's be honest now.

Lost Weight

Reading this thread is making me hungry.

Non-Team trainer/student period.

The Werner recruiter says the trainer is awake also and doesn't drive. They also match you up with one the same age.

Smoking/Non Smoking

Thanks Daniel, The recruiter from May said it was a big issue with their company and that all the trucks were labeled smoking or non smoking and non smokers would get non smoking trucks. I'll be asking the other recruiters as well. It will certainly be a factor in my decision on who to drive for.

I was shopping for used cars a year ago and came across a fantastic deal on a Subaru Outback. The stench was so bad I didn't even test drive it, and nothing gets rid of the odor. I guess that's why the good deal?

I Have Made My Decision

Maybe if they paid more they would stay.

The reason so many people leave has very little to do with pay. It has to do with the fact that 90% of the people who get into trucking have no idea what they're getting into and shouldn't be in the trucking industry to begin with.

Yeah I know. That was an attempt at humor.

Smoking/Non Smoking

Just curious how the companies treat non smokers. I'm a non smoker and plan to go solo. Are they going to issue me a truck that has not been smoked in? The May recruiter said they do. No offense to smokers but that's a pretty nasty smell. Plus the second hand smoke health issue.

I Have Made My Decision

Maybe if they paid more they would stay.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Weight of truck and trailor

What exactly is a lightweight rig? Where do they take the weight out?

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Oh man...its finally real!

Good luck, Britton. Are you wanting reefer or flatbed? I applied to Prime last week, but have yet to hear from them. I have already had contact with Swift and Stevens. I like Prime's starting pay, and other things about them. I think they are a good company from everything I have been able to research on them. I am leaning toward dry van as a better fit for me though over reefer. If I thought I could handle flatbed, I would really love to consider Prime for that. I am just not sure that the extra climbing and squatting is right for a 58 yr old really tall guy that could be in better shape. If I thought I could handle it though, I think I would probably prefer flatbed over anything else. It just seems in general, flatbed drivers are happier with their jobs, although I don't have any stats to back that up. It may just seem that way to me.

I'm with you Tim, I don't think my knees would handle the rigors of flatbedding, so I'm pulling for the reefer division. I like the idea of driving coast to coast, and, I think it was starcar that mentioned the naps while waiting to load unload the reefers. I like my naps too ...lol. PLus the turnout pay is the best I have found so far, they have good benefits, and I like the home time they offer. It just seems to all 'fit'. Now, if I can just get my recruiter to call me back. lol

I guess I'm not the only old newbie with bad knees. I would rather do flatbed but I think it just be too much. I'm also looking at Prime, every time I think I have it nailed down to 3 or 4 another good outfit comes along worth considering.

Not trucker friendly