Comments By Troy S.

https://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh622/Troy_Stevens/Troy%20and%20truck_zpsdgyjb9kk.jpg avatar
  • Troy S.
  • Comments:

NTTS training day 1

Stacie its definitely nice to know we have choices. At our school students are often pre-hired before they graduate. Also each week different carriers come to speak to students in hopes of getting them signed on with them. It's nice to be wanted!

NTTS training day 1

Thank you Stewart! Hopefully I can share more interesting information soon once we get through the written test. Thanks for the encouragement!

NTTS training day 1

NTTS training day 1

No sure if anyone's following this but here goes:

Day 2 was pretty much like day 1. We continued studying the CDL manual in preparation for the written test to get our learners permits. This is definitely a slower pace than any company sponsored training, but if you're a slower learner or want to take time to discuss each topic in depth, its a great way to learn. NTTS has several options for obtaining a CDL of whatever class you're interested in. The most popular course is the 18 week advanced course. One thing I like about this type of training is that I am not locked into any one company when training is complete.

This Friday we have the first of many companies, Gypsum Express, coming to speak to us about what they offer. There are several companies that frequent the school to talk to students and in some cases pre-hire. The limitation of course of this type of training is, like any school its not free or paid. I personally was able to go with a combination of the Pell Grant (thank you unemployment) and a student loan. Fortunately, many companies have a student loan forgiveness benefit of some sort, so in the end it will still essentially be no cost, I just wasn't paid to go as you would be going the company sponsored route.

Well that's all I can think of to add for today, tomorrow (day 3) hopefully we will finish the general knowledge portion of the CDL manual and get into endorsements. Of to studying I go!!

Troy

NTTS training day 1

Well yesterday was my 1st day of the 18 week advanced CDL program at NTTS in Liverpool (Syrecuse for those who don't know the area) New York. So far it's been interesting but a tad boring as we are studying the Commercial Drivers Manual in preparation for taking the learners permit written exam.

My first impression is people are friendly and the class is not too large so it's much more personable. Also the speed is definitely a slow and steady pace (sometimes too slow) with lots of breaks.

I'll update as we proceed but it will be slow going for the first little bit so bear with me. Day 2 is about to begin!

Troy

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Blessings to you on your journey. Hope to see you out there!!

Thanks Maurice! Perhaps you will!

Ya know, many apps will give you what you need instead of calling on the radio. Google maps gives you an advanced warning, there's Waze and INRIX, and others. You just don't get that CB personal touch.

I was actually wondering about apps and technology in general as well. Does anyone use backup cams/ rear view cams like that on a bus? And whats a good gps to look at , or would a cheap android tablet suffice?

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Do truckers still communicate with each other like the old days with CB? My trucking experience is limited to Smokey and the Bandit movies lol so I have no clue how things are in reality.

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Wow thank you G-Town and Heavy C! I appreciate hearing from seasoned vets! Will definitely prepare myself for mistakes. Thanks again for your kind words!

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Thank you Jeffrey, I'll keep an eye out for U.S. Express, I think they may have a route near here.

Sue, that freedom of choice, and the close to home training are what sold me. How has your rookie experience been so far?

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Thank you Sue!

Actually the trucking school is a private accredited school, so I'm not tied to any one company. The course is also a little slower paced at 18 weeks so it's more like a slow smolder instead of trial by fire lol! Can't wait to start, and I'll send updates as I progress :-)

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Thanks MissSippi, good luck to you as well!!

Trucking newb, super excited with a touch of terrified!

Howdy all!

I'm about to embark on this career in trucking that I've pondered many times over the past several years. I've been researching, studying the High Road training, and doing lots of reading of different blog and forum posts. Today I decided to have a look at a local Trucking school here in Syracuse, NTTS, and see what that was like and what they offered. What I thought was only going to be a quick tour, turned into me enrolling in the next class on 8/8/16!! WOW did that ever happen quickly, my heads still spinning. I'm both excited for the new career, and terrified about the drastic life changes it entails.

While I await my first day, I was wondering some of you would be willing to share a story or two of some experiences you've had on the job, good or bad and what you love most about this job or hate. Maybe ill run into some of you (provided I pass) in the months to come at some truck stop on the way to who knows where and we can exchange some more transportation tales!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Troy