Profile For Dave

Dave's Info

Springfield , MO

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years ago

Dave's Bio

Mid life career change to trucking. Currently in training with Wil-Trans. Learning so much each & everyday!!

Dave's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

I attended and graduated the Wil-Trans "On Boarding" training and have been officially promoted to a full "A" seat driver.

I am currently in Southern NY getting snowed on.

My backing skills have improved some but still need a lot of improvement. Honestly when I'm alone or at a place where it's not very busy I do pretty good. If it's busy or a lot of traffic then I seem to struggle. I know it's mostly mental and nervousness.

Winter weather has given me more than one close call. I know driving in varied weather is all "part of it" but I'm thinking a route in Southern AZ or Florida is sounding pretty good right about now lol

Hope all is well and everyone stays safe!!!

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Honestly I have just become eligible. Soon as I have some info, I'll try to pass it on.

Hey there. I've noticed on Wil-Trans and Jim Palmer's website that their health benefits are offered through something called True Choices marketplace or something like that. Can you briefly speak about this? I apologize for prying, but can you give a ball park of what your premiums are? I'm currently on the general government "affordable" care act marketplace and it's anything BUT affordable! ;) Thanks for any insight

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Lessons a Rookie learned in Maine....

I'm in Maine, dropped off a Tyson load and get dispatched to pick up a paper load to head back to mid west.

Just before I get to the shipper it snows 16 inches. I get my drop & hook done and the trailer has at lease 6-8 inches of snow on top. Shipper doesn't have any snow removal. I drive to closest cat scale :

overweight scale ticket because trailer is covered with snow

FM advised to try truck wash to get snow removed. Nope, they watered my snow.....making things a bit worse lol :

overweight scale ticket because trailer is covered with wet snow

Finally get to a place that will remove the snow :

acceptable scale ticket after wet snow removed from trailer

Sadly there are not many places in our network that remove snow, even in the NE. Obviously the weight was an issue, but so is safety. That's a lot of frozen solids to be tugging around unsecured.

PS: They charged $180.00 to climb up w/a ladder & shovel the snow off. There seems to be money to be made..... lol

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

What's everyone's thoughts on starting with prime?

This will be a life changing, for I have been a emt/Paramedic for 18 years now. I'm just to the point where I don't want to see that much pain any more.

I'm a Paramedic also, 28 years. It was time for a change. So far I'm very pleased that I did!!!

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

My first......

new black Wil-Trans tractor-trailer semi truck

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

My first......

Well my Solo time is drawing to a close. I'll be headed to Springfield this weekend.

I'm being assigned the very first truck I drove on the road. My 1st trainer quit, I asked and they gave me his truck.

I'm super duper excited!!! It's a very nice truck, especially for a rookie.

I haven't decided if I'm going to name "her" lol.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Dave

new black Wil-Trans tractor-trailer semi trucknew black Wil-Trans tractor-trailer semi truck

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Nice truck. I think it's the same as Lazarus. Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted. If you don't mind, when did you receive your first pay? How soon after you started? Did you get the $200/wk advance? During training is your pay direct deposited into your bank account? Hope you can answer these questions.

Hi!

Thanks. I'm super excited to get into it and make it "mine" lol. Haven't decided if I'm gonna name "her" or not ;-)

I got my first pay the Thursday the next week after getting back on the road w/my trainer after passing the CDL. First 10,000 is $0.12 per mile or $600 whichever is greater. After 1st 10K it went up to $0.14 or $700 per week. I started 9/26 and got first pay 11/10.

I did take the $200.00 advance for 5 weeks. They are deducting $25 per week now to pay it back. Pretty painless really

My pay goes on my comdata card, I have deposit to my bank set up. Soon as it hits my card, I can get online or call Phone # and deposit as much as I like to my bank. It works pretty well.

Feel free to ask anything that you would like. I'll do my best to give you the straight poop 💩 on it lol

Happy New Year

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Hello all! Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas.

My Solo time is wrapping up. I will be back in Springfield over the weekend and will start the "on boarding" upgrade training next Tuesday.

Solo time has flown by. I've put lil over 4500 miles on this Freightliner since I recovered it in PA back on the 14th.

I feel good about everything EXCEPT my backing skills. They are horrible. I know they will improve with time & experience. In the meantime, G.O.A.L is my BFF and I use it frequently. I'm surprised none of my backing fiascos have made it to YouTube or one of the "Shame" FB pages lol. While back in SpringMO I am going to spend a lot of my down time on the practice pad backing, backing, backing and then I'm going to back some more.

I am also getting assigned an amazing Truck. It's my first trainers truck, the very first truck I drove on the road. My 1st trainer resigned and I requested the truck. Low and behold, Wil-Trans became my Santa and approved it. I'm super excited to be getting such a nice truck as a rookie.

Hope everyone has a very Happy New Year!!!

Dave

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Prime Inc. CDL training. Springfield, Missouri

Congrats on the permit.

I'll be back in SpringMo end of this week or latest Monday of next. Holler if you want grab a soda or anything. I will be getting my assigned truck & will be in town through Thursday.

Dave

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

It's........SOLO time

Thanks you everyone for the kind words & encouragement.

I'm almost to my 3rd delivery. I've dealt with bad winter weather (ice), I parked and waited lol.

I've made a few silly rookie mistakes (make sure your ENTIRE trailer is on the scale or you will get a really strange look on your face when they hand you the scale ticket)

I'm taking my time & making sure I do and cover everything.

Merry Christmas!! 🎄🎁

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Tips, Tricks, And Techniques For Rookie Drivers

When I'm backing into a spot, if I am straight, out of my driver's side mirror (the flat one) the back of my trailer will look closer to the line than the front of my trailer does. Out of my passenger side mirror (again, the flat one), if I'm straight the side of the trailer will appear parallel with the line.

Good to know. I thought I was going crazy or cross eyed or both. I've always noticed that one mirror the trailer will be parallel and the other it seems slanted. I thought it was me lol

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

123518lvuy3rkxxr.gif"

Thank you!!! :-)

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

It's........SOLO time

Well the time is finally here!!! I pick up a truck tomorrow and am gonna be SOLO!!!! Woot Woot!!!!

Yes, I am nervous but also VERY excited!!!

I want to thank EVERYONE on here for all the great information, questions & advice. I've learned so much from reading all the posts & associated comments.

Not to mention the online training provided here, which is simply AMAZING!!!

Be safe everyone & Merry Christmas!!

Dave

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Hello

Well tomorrow (12/14) is the big day! I'm graduating to my Solo training. Will be picking up at truck at Terminal in PA & leaving the nest on my own :-)

I'm a nervous & excited at the same time!! 😁

Fingers are crossed lol

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Hello All

It's been a bit since I posted an update. A lot has been going on. I've been out on my training run since obtaining my CDL on 10/01.

I'm now well into my last 10,000 miles before going out on my Solo run. I can't wait.

Had a small glitch, I had to request to switch trainers (won't go into any details) It took me some time to finally come to the conclusion that I needed to ask. Once I did, those involved at Wil-Trans listened to me, my concerns & reasoning. I was put with a new trainer in a little over 24 hours. Not once did I receive any push back or negativity at all.

Since then we have been running hard. The new trainer is excellent. Very experienced at training and has been helping me polish my skills all while continueing to teach me many new things.

I have yet to regret, even once, the career change or the company I chose. Wil-Trans continues to be an exceptional company for a driver who is in training.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year

Dave

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Glad to hear you're having a great experience. I am getting all my ducks in a row before I start calling and talking to some of the companies here in Springfield Mo. for my cdl training and Wil-Trans is #1 on my list. What was your deciding factor in choosing this company for training? I am also looking at Jim Palmer but have read on one of the comments in this forum that they can be picky sometimes. Do you think company paid CDL is the way to go? Are they giving you the miles they promised? How long do you stay out? Sorry for bombarding you with a ton of questions, I just want to make sure I can get with a good honest company. Look forward to your future post. Good luck on the road!

Hi

I have had nothing but good experiences here at Wil-Trans. FYI: Jim Palmer & Wil-Trans are one in the same. Both owned by Wilson Logistics. Essentially JP runs mostly western US & WT runs east. As far as I can see pay, training, benefits, equipment are all the same. Matter of fact the new black trucks have very similar paint/striping packages

I chose WT BC they have similar pay, training etc as working for Prime but it's a smaller company and I wanted the more personal experience. WT will usually have 4-6 students in their training classes. I was the only student the week I started.

As for miles? Yes! My training is almost over and it's literally flown by. I will be going solo pretty soon.

As for company paid vs CDL school? I think there are pro's & con's to both. While I will owe WT a year of service to pay off the training, the way I looked st it was that getting a job w/o experience is difficult at best. At the end of s year I can decide to stay or if I choose another path, I'll have a year of OTR to help me be more competitive.

Everyone I've dealt with at WT from recruiters, office staff, training staff, you name it, they have all been amazing & helpful.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can help or by all means give them a call. I'm sure you'll find them as helpful as I did.

Good luck :)

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

JIM PALMER TRUCKING

I hope I get accepted at this company. Just talked to a recruiter named Luke. I will find out in a couple of days. Any insight anybody can give me?

I started at Wil-Trans ( sister company to Jim Palmer) at end of September. Just about done w/my training.

It's a great company, Wilson Logisitcs, owns & runs both.

Essentially the only difference is name & JP runs mostly west half & WT runs east half. Pay, benefits etc are all the same.

I have had nothing but good experiences so far. Any concerns or issues I've had are delt with quickly & properly.

I'm excited to be finishing training soon and heading out solo.

If you have any questions or I can help don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck & Mery Christmas

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

In Springfield @ Prime 11/17? dinner's on me ;)

Does this apply to your cousins at Wil-Trans? ;-)

I think it's awesome you are doing this. Very cool indeed!!

Fire & ice is amazing! Yummy :)

Have fun and be safe

Suuuurrrreee. ;). Come on down

Awwwwe thanks for the invite. Sadly I can't be there this time. But I'd gladly hang out sometime in Springfield. Between the Prime & Wil-Trans crews, the Fire & Ice would be a blast!!

Be safe Rainy D.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Who's parking where tonight?

Flying J, Sullivan MO on I-44. Headed to northside of St Louis for a 0500 appointment time

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

In Springfield @ Prime 11/17? dinner's on me ;)

Does this apply to your cousins at Wil-Trans? ;-)

I think it's awesome you are doing this. Very cool indeed!!

Fire & ice is amazing! Yummy :)

Have fun and be safe