Comments By Vendingdude

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar

Hot Stuff!

Thumbs up for sharing. New guys and old guys alike love reading these.

First time pulled over

"My trainer had all of the papers ready to hand him should he ask me for them. "

Sounds like they were in his hands, while he was sitting in the seat. Hmph. Almost sounds like the trooper couldn't find anything to "bust" you on, so he just got creative to scold you on something.

Rewriting History

Yes we are in complete agreement good-luck-2.gif

Rewriting History

Look up the Interstate Truck Driver's Guide to Hours of Service. It's an FMCSA pdf that explains all this in black and white.

One thing it makes very clear is that any work done for another employer is considered as duty hours for the purposes of the 60/7 or 70/8 rule and needs to be in your rolling 7/8 day log. It's in there. It also affects your 14 hour window in terms of when you must get your next ten hour rest period. 8 hours at pizza, 6 hours driving, you must stop and reset. (for example) This is why it needs to be logged.

^^^ and this is what I was referring to when I proffered "didn't they cover that during class?"

Thanks for the kind words Big-T. Sounds like you're a very thorough guy, which will serve you well in this business. There are SO many things that can go wrong, the guy/gal that succeeds will be the one that plans ahead, sees the big picture, double checks everything and doesn't let anger, hurriedness, boredom, etc. get the best of him.

BTW, I went to a community college school prior to driving for ...... Swift.

For many years in my twenties I worked for ........ Domino's. Lol.

Welcome to trucking, brother. Avoid the Noid. (whoops, showing my age again using that slogan)

Rewriting History

Well I did say "in that case, they should require logs/work history for...". I assumed one would understand the phrase "work history" to be equivalent to "time worked statement". My bad.

Back in the dark ages when I went to trucking school, we actually kept a log book for the three weeks of school. Since I was under contract to the school and the carrier, I assume those were legally binding records, and not just "for practice". I don't know if that experience happens today, or more particularly for Big-T. I considered myself an employee of the carrier at that time, while in school, and not having been on the road for pay yet (though we did actually drive on the road around the community in the second week, logging those hours).

I was thinking of a case where for example what if you were hired immediately by a company to drive, and they were prepared to dispatch that second. They would have to know that you hadn't worked in the last day, and not need a reset, or a boatload of hours at your window washing job in the last week, before sending you out so you could legally complete the run.

This is similar to Big-T's situation where he worked for a week or two at a pizza job BETWEEN hire date(?) and "hit the road with mentor" date. The gap between those two events happened and could have been for illness, vacation, accident, paperwork snafu or any number of reasons. That is why I was wondering when his actual career begin date is, so you can determine what to account for for a week prior.

Rewriting History

Good grief, what are you talking about? No hijacking here. His question was about how to log his time, and being mildly upset that how to do it wasn't properly communicated. The fact that he's waiting to get behind the wheel, and why he's waiting (the birth certificate) is not really relevant. What was relevant was when was the actual date of hire (which could be anything from application date acceptance, or signing school loan papers, or beginning of school date, or school graduation day, or first day on truck with trainer, who knows??). Only by knowing his company determined hiredate can the first question (what dates to be used for the time worked statement) be answered. I asked, he replied. Future readers of this thread will be better armed to handle unsual circumstances like Big-T's, should they occur.

Rewriting History

To know the exact answer to your dilemma, we need to know the exact day you were hired. Today is 6/14 and the other date mentioned is 5/26. The way you wrote it it isn't clear to me if you're saying you were hired on 5/26 or if 5/26 is the date THEY say you need to start a log.

The actual hire date is May 24th, I have been home since the 25th after passing my exams.

In that case, they should require logs/work history for eight days prior to the 24th, which includes all work from May 16th to the present. That should have been covered in your class/training. Did they talk in logbook section of your training about how to account for hours while not in a truck? Sorry for your predicament, but it should have been covered.

Rewriting History

Struggling Making Delivery Times And Getting Sleep....

"Today and yesterday, I've been awake over all roughly 23 hours as of writing this post (0547 on 6/14)."

I didn't interpret this to mean he's been awake 23 hours straight. If he's counting a whole 24 hours of the previous day, plus six hours of this day that's 30 hours. If he logged 20 hours of driving, and ten hours sleeper, it's all good. Apparently, part of those ten hours "sleeping" is really dorking around at a midnight shipper, interrupting a continuous 10 hours off. Even many a veteran would get beat up running a schedule like this.

This is not to question at all that if Reaper is reporting he's tired, he's tired. Yes, all the previous advice applies: plan ahead, don't work too hard, communicate with dispatch, etc.

Wanting to post a Backing Practice...

...but don't know how.

Take screenshot of Google Earth image, it saves to Photo Gallery and then I add to a post as attachment, right?

But how do I draw the lines and signs on the image that says "this is the door" and "there was a car parked here"?

Does anyone know if safeway on E Stapleton in Denver has parking?

Squatch is correct. The staging area in front holds about 6 or 7 trucks and they don't​ open the gate until 4:30 or something like that. Mind the one way streets! Confusing as heck the first time I went there. There's a TS on the other side of the freeway. Be early or you won't get in.

Embarrassing, but I gotta fess up

You know how some people just naturally tell a good story, with interesting vocabulary and engaging style. That's Turtle. Now put a drawl and body language in with this story and Turtle's got a backup job as a comedian. Keep em coming!

Turnover

(raising right hand). I second everything that has been said here. This is one of those threads where several people hit the nail on the head and built a masterpiece. Brett's advice is so true and universal. I feel like we all just a big group hug.

Now get out there Kyle and kick some butt for the Gipper!

It's probably not a secret but a great little truck stop

This the place?

Unreasonable request?

If you really can't park your truck closer than eleven miles away, is it possible to park it somewhere where a trusted friend, relative, etc can start it a couple times on their lunch break or whatever. Even if it was further away it would be irrelevant because it's not you driving out to the truck anymore.

Approved Footwear For Trucking - The LAW

Yes, private property apparently. No signs, no warnings, nothing. Signs are all over the place on other streets saying no commercial vehicle parking, but not on this street or in front of this lot. It literally is just a twenty acre lot of dirt and weeds behind a quarter mile of commercial businesses. I wouldn't argue about the principle of law, as you put it. Obviously, a city has every right to make and enforce whatever laws they want. My objection is the lack of signage, which should be expected as a minimal courtesy. Would it be fair to issue me a speeding ticket if there was no sign saying the speed limit is changing, I just "should have known", or a ticket for making a right turn on a red even though there's no sign saying it's prohibited. (Aside from the fact that there ARE states where it's prohibited, but not in the city and/or state I'm referencing).

I used to stop there every week to get a meal at a choice of an In-n-Out burger, Popeye's Chicken or Jack in the Box. I would also stop at that city's Pilot to fuel if needed. I have now changed my habits and do these activities at the city 50 miles down the road. I wrote an email to the city code enforcement telling them of the tax dollars they've permanently lost by this chickshirt policy. Other drivers in my company have been made aware of this as well. No response, not holding my breath.

Funny thing, a parking ticket goes against the truck, not me the driver. I asked the boss about it and even though we both agreed that morally I should pay it, ultimately he said "screw em, what are they gonna do?". I read to him the fine print where it says they can put a fine and a hold on his registration. He laughed and said let em try, that's California and they can't do squat because our trucks are registered in Utah. So the city isn't getting their $100, and a whole lot more.

Approved Footwear For Trucking - The LAW

"Same principle why - if there isn't a "No U-Turn Sign" at the intersection, you are ALLOWED to make a U-Turn. "

Well, I got a parking ticket for taking my thirty minute break in an empty lot at the edge of a commercial area that has obviously been used for years by cars and trucks as a parking area. No city ordinance signs, no "No Parking" signs, no fencing, nothing. I was in the truck napping and code enforcement didn't even have the courtesy to knock and tell me to move on. Found ticket stapled to door handle four hours later at next bathroom break.

To know this was a no parking area one would have to be a local resident, or be curious enough to Google a city's website before shutting down. Clearly a bush league money grabbing tactic right out of the movies. Property is probably owned by a city councilman's brother or something.

So just because something isn't posted as prohibited doesn't necessarily mean it's ok.

Tanker crash

Many of the exits off 99 in California are very sharp 90 degree turns with NO deceleration lane. You literally need to slow from full speed to 25mph in a few yards. Very unsafe, and if traffic is stopped just around the corner, it's even worse. If you forget for just a second and commit to the exit, there's not much you can do. Especially with liquid surge. RIP Driver.

Looking for a career change; Need some guidance

Bob, Brett has given you the Truth, for sure. You're in an interesting position, and I feel for ya. Short answer, you're not gonna exactly replace 78k out the gate. It could take years to get to that level, either by working your way up in a company or acquiring tenderfoot experience with company A and jumping to company B that pays better for experienced drivers.

I'm kinda curious about the other side of the equation. Namely, do you really need to make 78k? Can you cut down on lifestyle expenses? Can you move? Can you sell toys, eliminate lattes, whatever? Where do you live? Is there any way you could get by on a couple hundred dollars less per week?

I am a rest area attendant. Ask me anything.

This thread swerves again:

It takes a certain level of drive and crazy to get out on the road and stay out there all the time driving hard

rofl-3.gif

Very well said, and very true.

And I must say that the guys who do it nowadays on elogs are even crazier than guys like myself who did it with paper logs. I could cheat all I wanted to on paper, which for me meant I could drive whenever I wanted to and sleep whenever I wanted to. I didn't have to keep pushing through for super long stretches at a time like guys have to nowadays.

I would give anything to eliminate that stupid 14 hour rule. I still can't believe they ever created it, and I'm even more appalled that it still exists today. I thought for sure they'd come to their senses and realize you shouldn't make someone cram all of their work into one super long stretch like that.

So kudos to all of you pushing 3,000 miles a week on elogs with that awful 14 hour rule. It really is impressive.

One of the things I'll miss about being on paper logs is being able to park at a truck stop or Walmart 5-10 miles from my delivery. I can drive there without starting my clock and sleep near food and bathrooms rather than outside the receivers gate on the street with no services. Just to deliver without starting my 14.

rofl-3.gif

Very well said, and very true.

I agree in totality here. Brett, and others, are there discussions on this site about what a better solution would be? I have some thoughts on this and would be curious to know what other drivers have to say. Alternatives, not just complaints.