Profile For Train

Train's Info

Auburn, GA

Company Driver In Training

8 years, 9 months ago

Train's Bio

If you have been in trucking for a while and have been through the weigh stations in south Georgia or North Florida then you crossed a scale that my dad either worked on or installed. That was my first exposure to the trucking industry when I was a kid. When I was in my early 20's my dad drove for a few small outfits and even worked as a driver manager for a while. That was when the traveling bug bit me. I spent about 20 years in EMS around Atlanta before getting out of the business.Now after 10 years in transportation and logistics I found myself without a job and no good prospects thanks to the economy. A couple of months ago A sign caught my eye outside the local truck driving school. "18 days to 18 wheels" is what it said. My wife and two sons talked it over for a couple of days before I made the commitment. So here I am 49 years old, married with two sons ages 13 and 10, getting ready for another career change. According to my wife this is my last. We agreed that I would put in a year with a regional carrier that had more home time and then reevaluate our position. It won't be easy for my youngest. He is a daddy's boy. I know that God has a reason for sending me down this road. In the end I hope we all figure out what it is.

Starting a new career with Averitt Express

Henry, I have been with Averitt for the past 10 months and I am pretty happy. I don't know much about our flatbed division but those guys do work hard. You might be interested to know that some of our larger service centers have exercise equipment in them. Nashville just finished a refurb of the driver lounge that included the addition of a treadmill, elliptical, and free weights. Other service centers have Nautilus style machines. When you think about the distance to the service center remember you only drive there once a week. For me that means I drive 30 miles a week round trip. Since you are just starting CDL school the only option I believe that will be open to you is regional truckload. you have to be in that position for one year before you can transfer to dedicated, flatbed etc. I hope this helps.

Starting a new career with Averitt Express

I really meant to post about the remaining days of orientation but got busy with other things. Anyway, I am back home for a couple of days. The rest of orientation went pretty smooth learning policies, procedures, safety, truckload specific information, safety, payroll, safety, and other stuff. Oh! did I mention we covered safety quite a bit? :) I will be contacting my trainer this afternoon to find out when to report. For now, off to Wally world for a few supplies.

Is it truly hard to learn to drive a manual transmission rig?

Yes and no. A big rig's manual is different from one in your car or pickup. First, as you ease off the clutch with the transmission in gear the engine will automatically provide the fuel and rpm's to keep the truck running and moving forward. In order to shift you will need to learn to double clutch. search YouTube and you will find some examples. Unlike cars the transmissions are not synchronized so you have to watch your speed and rpms while shifting. I hope this helps. Some instructors will say it is easier to teach someone to shift an 18 wheeler if they have never driven a regular manual transmission.

Are there any company paid training that trains in Phoenix Az Where I can stay in my home during training?

Ron, Have you checked out Swift? I know they allow riders but I dont know about pets. I am pretty sure they are Arizona based.

Starting a new career with Averitt Express

Tracy, thanks for the words of encouragement. I will be watching my diet in the weeks to come. One of the great things about Averitt is many of their service centers have workout facilities as well as showers. PJ, good luck in Wisconsin I do not envy you.

Today's orientation was all about benefits. The short of it is they offer excellent health, dental, vision, etc. They are very family oriented. There is a husband and wife team running for the company and both of their sons are employed by Averitt as well. I like the idea of uniforms. It presents a very professional look for the company. Oh well tomorrow is another day. I can't wait!

Thank you for the replies another question I have a question do I have to have a home base meaning a apartment or place

Ronald, on of the channels I follow on YouTube is "Nrs aventures". This is a husband and wife driving for Swift. I have heard them mention in the past that they don't have a physical home, just a PO Box that they get to every month or so. Hope this helps.

Starting a new career with Averitt Express

I arrived in Cookeville, TN last night for orientation starting today; checked in met my roommate and settled in for a good nights sleep. We are at the Clarion Inn. It is not a 5 star but it is a clean facility with several amenities including an indoor pool and exercise room. I will say this,if you have the option of driving to orientation, take it. In the case of Averitt and Cookeville, things are kind of spread out and having your own wheels is nice.

The first day went well. DOT physical done as well as computer training. Since I am overweight and new the issue of my sleep apnea would come up, I decided to be proactive in the matter. I brought copies of my most recent sleep studies and the data card from my CPAP machine. The data card shows compliance with using my machine, which they really appreciated.

Some info will be helpful

Dewey, I will be starting with Averitt Express this coming week. This is my first truck driving job but my reason for going with them was in part due to the business relationship I had built with them over the past ten years as a warehouse manager. Everyone I dealt with was courteous and professional. When I was in school I met a couple of drivers at a truck stop we went to while doing our road driving. They had nothing but good things to say about the company. You might also look for posts by Rolling Thunder and Trafficjam. They posted about their experiences with orientation and training.

I need a job

On my first day of school I told the instructor I was considering CR England. He looked at me shook his head and said England stands for "Every New Guy/Gal Lasts About Ninety Days". Take the other advise and call Swift.

If every driver lasts ninety days then CR England wouldn't be as successful as they are now. How would they satisfy their customers with every driver having less than 90 days experience? Sorry, but you are terribly misguided. Basing your decision because of an acronym is just about the worst thing you can do.

Daniel, my comment was a little short sited and I apologize for that. More completely I did investigate multiple companies including England. One of the resources I used was the company reviews on Indeed.com.

I need a job

Red Sovine: Truckers Prayer

Thanks for the song Tracy. I have a Red Sovine channel on my Pandora list. My favorite is "Giddy up go".

Ready to Roll!!!!!

Well I got my CDL-A a couple of weeks ago. I passed the TSA background check for the HAZMAT. Today I took and passed my endorsements for HAZMAT, Tankers, and Doubles. Headed to Tennessee this weekend to start orientation with Averitt Express. :)

Questions about getting into trucking...

Keenan, I just finished school a month ago and will be starting my first job this coming week, so my experience is limited but here is what I have found in talking to other drivers and from this sight. You are required to have a 34 hour reset each week. As I understand the hours of service rules you can be on duty for no more than 14 hours per day and many companies don't want you to drive more than 10 of those. Home time depends on the company. Coming straight out of school it will be hard to find a local job that pays well and lets you be home every night. When you get your first job you will spend anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks with a trainer don't expect much hometime during that time unless you are with a regional carrier or someone who does dedicated routes. You asked about a balance between home life and days off and making a good income. There are companies that will try to get you home every week and and some even pay well. A good example would be McElroy. They are a flatbed company that starts around .40cpm. On their website they even guarantee you will be home on the weekends. If you like to workout then consider a company that has their own facilities/terminals. Averitt Express is a regional carrier in the Southeast with over 100 terminals and many of them have shower and exercise facilties. Since you like to workout a flatbed carrier might be a good fit. I hope this helped.

Traffic Jam and Averitt Express

Hey Trafficjam! I start with Averitt next weekend 11/03. Do you know if anyone drove their themselves to Cookeville? I live in Atlanta and it's 3 hours or so by car versus 7-8 by bus. I will be a student driver as well and my driver training will be out of the Atlanta Terminal.

New Hire Orientation

Brett, Thanks for the reply. I am going to talk to my recruiter today to get the details. I have a couple of weeks, so I will take the time to start practicing what I saw and heard online.

New Hire Orientation

I am starting my first truck driving job with a regional carrier in a couple of weeks. I have to go to Tennessee for one week of orientation. I am concerned about the possibility of a physical assessment. I am 6'2'' and on the high side of 300 lbs. I passed my DOT with only a minor elevation in my blood pressure.(the doc used the wrong size cuff) I know I can do the job should I be concerned they are going to send me home if I cant do a one minute "step test"? I can lift, carry, climb, and crawl, but my knees may be a problem. any thoughts?

Which companies should I look into for...

Mistelle, Hi! I haven't started school yet but I understand your concern. First,I have been involved in Transportation and Logistics for many years. You and your husband sound young so enjoy this time and the adventures you are about to have. Don't look at working at CRST as being "stuck", we all have to start somewhere. I have encountered many CRST drivers over the years. they have been very professional and never had anything bad to say. After your contract period you might look at companies that offer many different career paths. Companies like Werner and Swift offer over the road as well as regional and dedicated local runs. Take a look at the LTL carriers as well. I don't know where you are based but in the south there are several regional carriers that have LTL routes as well. Best wishes to you both in your careers!