Comments By Isaac H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truckin.jpg avatar
  • Isaac H.
  • Comments:

Mentoring Now - Boring

From what i understand.

The student gets paid a flat salary. I got paid $450/wk.

Trainer gets his miles +the students miles *his pay per mile.

I think when i ran with my trainer we were getting 5-6k miles per week.

Injured Left Ankle - Fell Out Of The Truck

I fell out of my truck a couple months after i went solo. Just knocked the wind out of me, but it's a steep fall looking at it from the ground.

If you're going to go anywhere to get it xrayed, I'd suggest using uber to ride there. It's a good sign if it's not swollen. I hope you get better soon.

Frustrations training with Prime on the road

There's a couple things that can help you with the layout of truck stops.

First, you can sit tight and watch where the other trucks are exiting. Second, you can google map and use satellite view. Third, you can ask any other driver. Fourth, you can ask the cashier.

All these are acceptable to do and you shouldn't be ashamed. What will bring you shame is if you can't figure it out, refuse to ask for help, end up circling the lot and hitting something because you're going the wrong way.

I-81

I drive i81 all the time. Is there anything specific you want to know? I find nothing terribly exciting about it.

Jmu in harrisonburg, white petro in raphine, 64 split to the turnpike sticks out i guess.

Weigh stations, truck stops, roads, people, cars. Lol.

OMG my current load is soo

That's one of the things i like about my dedicated account. You don't have to deal with all the other hacks.

The last load i swapped with someone after i was about to leave he tells me, by the way... This trailer is overweight. Oh, really, thanks.

Good luck on your load i know how you feel with a bunch of preassigned piled on to you. Lol.

First year pay totals with Prime

I pulled a load of pillows one time and it was like 3000 lbs of i remember right. Lol.

No recent job history

Hahah omg ..I thought u were going to say u like phone sex. Lol

Smh, not even going to ask where that came from. Lol.

No recent job history

Doubt any strippers would be truck drivers, they make like 5X's more money unless they're terrible. At least the ones i know.

Also rainy, we should get together because that's my plan also after truck driving. Buying a boat and living on a slip. Somewhere in Florida. Maybe we can be neighbors, lol.

Scaling After Loading, And Why You Should Do It

I scale everything because i don't have to pay for it. Lol

How to survive Phases of CR Englands training?

If i were you i would try and have a few months of savings to live off of before you go then.

I didn't have much money left over after food, laundry, misc... Etc.

Living off of granola bars and vitamins sounds pretty terrible and your really going to want to be in good health because driving for 10 hours a day will be pretty rough.

Game: Vent and Brag About Life On the Road

Vent: planned a trip to a Walmart. When i got there i was going to go in through the front entrance. Half way through the turn i see that I'm not going to make the curb by a long shot. Then i notice the stop sign had been hit by an idiot trucker who didn't care and dragged his trailer over the curb. I stopped, put on my hazards and backed out and found another way in.

Brag: next week I'll have my 100k accident free miles. I'd better not screw it up until then, lol.

Posted:  3 years ago

Control your future

Jukebox, it is very admirable that as a millennial you are looking and planning for your future, however i will assure you that when you get to that point the world will be a completely different place.

The issue of retirement will addressed long before you have to worry as in it's current state is unsustainable . But don't worry we will figure out a new system. Have faith.

Be forward thinking. Can we address pollution from cars by getting rid of them and go back to horse and buggy? Sure, but how about instead use technology to build a self sustaining hydrogen car that also cleans the air.

Embrace change and think positively. You'll be happier. :)

Posted:  3 years ago

Control your future

Hey jukebox, unions, pensions. Tenure... Etc. All that stuff is a thing of the past.

Wake up and smell the cappuccino.

Posted:  3 years ago

What's on your radio

Elvis

Posted:  3 years ago

How do you feel about driver facing cameras?

Rick, i will agree it will all boil down to money. Always has, always will.

Posted:  3 years ago

How do you feel about driver facing cameras?

I'm just stating that time and time again companies (not just trucking) have pandered to the vocal minority and implemented something and not gotten feedback from all parties and have not examined the full effect and this has led to disastrous decisions.

Your argument is that this is where the industry is going and there's nothing you can do about it which i guess is somewhat valid because it may be true. But until then people do have a choice who they work for and we can have our opinions too.

Posted:  3 years ago

How do you feel about driver facing cameras?

This issue, like many other issues will be settled by the silent majority as right or wrong the issue may be.

Sure, the owner of a trucking company and his 3 lawyers and a handful of vocal drivers might think it's a good idea but when 500 drivers quit and your loads are late because you can't find anyone to drive for you, then you'll finally understand.

I've never driven with a camera so i don't know what it's like. But my first impression is that i would be handing in my keys the very next day and driving for someone else.

Posted:  3 years ago

What the heck more questions

Hi matt.

I can only answer your questions as to my situation with my company.

In order to get paid i have to scan in all my documents to the company. Bills, receipts etc. (this usually takes a few minutes) once they get it and process it i get paid. I get paid every week.

As far as your mechanical question I'm not sure what your background is but let me tell you this. I am ASE certified in many fields in automotive and i wouldn't do anything besides filling up the coolant on these things. Sometimes i have a light out on the top of my trailer and i have to bring it in to a shop because i can't reach it.

If you go with a big starter company chances are you will be driving a very new truck. I think the average age of our fleet is like 1.7 years old so breakdowns are usually few and far. I go in for truck preventative maintenance every 60 days and also full service ever few months. These trucks are very well taken care of.

In your home time situation i may ask my FM for an extra day off as i would spend my first day of home time with the truck but that's just me.

Posted:  3 years ago

Serious questions from a newbie.

Hi matt welcome.

If you want to see the country you would want to consider one of the major carriers and run a 48 state account.

As for Canada I've heard that if you tell a carrier that you have your passport and are authorized in canada, then they will stick you up there forever so be careful. Lol

Posted:  3 years ago

Trainer in need of insight

Tell him when the clock reaches 0:00 the truck is going to explode.