Profile For Larry K.

Larry K.'s Info

Cape Coral, FL

Company Driver In Training

2 years, 6 months ago

Larry K.'s Bio

Looking to start a second career, have had 1 brother drove for many years ( lost to cancer), another brother for Schnieder and Bro in Law for Werner, both for less than 2 years. Drove for a year right out of Military back in late 70's, but opted to go the more technical route.

So back full circle, i always did enjoy driving, see the sights, new place every day etc.

Prime Inc PSD and TNT training program

Just another quick update on the TNT training. It's really starting to fly by I am in 4th week now so it's a little over halfway over for me. I'm learning a lot about the flatbed securement and a lot of other things. My training is going a little slower as we're not really getting miles for some reason. I think our biggest week was 3800 miles and we're a team truck so that's a little concerning for when I go solo. My trainer is great but with that being said I may have to bite the bullet and request a new one when we get routed through Springfield in the next couple of days to take care of some things. I mean we're doing flatbed and going 6-8 days between showers is just completely unaceptable to me especially with the few miles we're actually running. I'm not trying to complain or sound like a like Diva but something has to give. It's just embarrassing going in anywhere wondering if people can smell me. That's all for now I will update again whenever possible.

How did you make out on the hygene challenged replacement request?

Dispatch times

Trying to get my head wrapped around appt times.

So example... We picked up a load from fedex in calif., load goes to nj. We have 64 hours from time dispatched to when it must be there.

Our home office sends a corrected appt time after we are enroute. Now question is, is times give to be delivered by, in central ( our home office time zone) , or EST the 90 destination, or the 01 time zone ( pacific)

BTW appt times i an referancing are in a msg via qualcomm

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

Bigger hammer needed?

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

Btw his qc is an older unit, no GPS.

Heck, he dont even have an APU, and wont use a plug in inverter.

Very old school here, he is under truck as we speak beating on something. 😨

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

Only 12 days into tnt, so most everything is odd to me...

We are currently running a FedEx expidite load from Ca to Nj. And now we get to do it with a bad qualcomm ( on paper logs) And a non functioning speedometer. And now the Tach is acting odd, occasionally jumps 50 rpm indicated. In past week, have seen it freeze a few time.

Yes sir, just having a ball. 😈

You have enough going on there to warrant a stop at the next terminal. But your trainer knows that.

In the meantime if your QC GPS works, there a GPS based speed indicator at the bottom of the map. That should keep the Troopers from noticing you.

Bad part is, we did, lastnight, he opted to continue. ( O/O)

Now he is under the truck and broke something else. He is not a happy camper right now.

Not shaping up to be a good day

Funny, why is it...

Same reason groc stores run you past the impulse stuff to get your staples.

Marketing baby.... Marketing.

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

Only 12 days into tnt, so most everything is odd to me...

Yes sir, just having a ball. 😈

Elizabeth, NJ

Rerouted based on above suggestion, seems much cleaner I95W TO exit 13 which is North/Dowd st.

Yes a neater elegant solution. A little longer maybe, a toll, possibly. But neater.

Elizabeth, NJ

I don't know Larry. I used to run in Jersey all the time. Depending on what time of the day/night you'll be getting there, I'd be half-tempted to take 280 to 95 straight down to where you need to get to. 1&9 can be a mess, and I prefer interstates if it's not too out of the way. Depending on how 21 goes, your extra distance due east on 280 to get to 95 might not put you that much behind. Just a thought. Highway speed vs traffic lights is what would make me consider that.

Point taken, appt is for 22:14 cst on 11/12.

Elizabeth, NJ

Finally found it.... Exit off I80 at I280 I280 to S.R. 21 S.R. 21 to Rt 1&9 Rt 1&9 to Rt 81 Rt81 to Dowd

Now my next question is more specific to prime, how to update the directions recvd from macro 19, cause they are seriously messed up.

This is second one i would change, had one in Pheonix was wrong. Had you turn left at exit from 10w, should have been turn right at exit from 10w, or turn left at exit from 10E.

Take away, trust no map, no direction. Use multiple sources.

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

Larry seems to have reservations

Do not worry about having the absolute latest Atlas edition. I have a 2014 and have had no real issues. Don't sweat it.

Reservations/concerns ehhh Tomato/Tomaato

Syntax and inflection.

Just new, and asking what is the norm, did not see any mention in previous threads.

Was going to get my own atlas, his suggestion was wait.

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

So yesterday my trainer told me for the next 2 weeks i can only use his 2016 commercal driver atlas, the trucks fuel book, and the qualcom to route plan. I cannot use the prime mobile app, not even to get the macro 19 messages.

He also proceded to tell me he knows the atlas has some "issues" but will not buy the 2017 yet.

And he has an older qualcom.

Is this some kinda part of TNT training?

He's letting you use the Qualcomm? That's nice of him. There are some places in the US where the Qualcomm does not have internet access. For instance some southern stretches of US 287 in Colorado that I can think of right off. A few places in Kansas that I've found too. You need to know how to do it old school, because sometimes that might be the only way. Sure your GPS might store the map, but what happens if it falls off the GPS mount and the touchscreen hits something conductive and registers a command to shut the map app off? Or, if it's voice activated, what if some radio person says a phrase that your GPS doesn't like? Your Qualcomm might suddenly decide to restart itself for an update, and when it comes back up, you aren't in signal range of anything, or, it doesn't come back up.

I had to do my trip planning with an atlas, pen, paper, and ruler. Once I showed my first trainer I could do that for a few trips, I was allowed to use other tools.

That fuel book might be gold though, he might be checking to see if you realize it. If the fuel book tracks by trip, with stops, you might have everything you need right there for common routes, or parts of uncommon routes. Neither of my trainers had anything you could call a fuel book.

Am liking it so far, but then as noted, i always did enjoy digging for facts....

What i am understanding is one use of the fuel book is to locate and plan my rest stop, and final stop.

Guess i am surprised none of this was touched on in orientation, but then guess they cant hit everything.

Am thinking this all would maybe be good to compile into a single tnt training thread of the process /progression through the tnt phase of training, dont think i have seen any of this mentioned in any thread, so, I ask. Ya dont know, what ya dont know.

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

Beware ... KY at I 69 is different in 2016 than 2017. ;). Found that out. Exit numbers changed.

Be glad he is doing this. Many trainers care only about u driving and getting them miles. Many don't do trip planning ... Be sure to ask about SOKO time management.

The new QC have GPS in them with useful things like "find fuel stop"

SOKO time managment?

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

They simply need to know that you can route plan and read an atlas.

During training for new cdl grads, my company doesnt allow gps.. Only atlas and qualcomm written directions, if any and the given route suggestion

Sounds like you have a good trainer.

Cool beans, was thinking it was a little odd, but then, i like doing research. 😊

Elizabeth, NJ

Question for anyone who has gone to the FedEx on Dowd.

Did a macro 19 for directions got back directions that start at Rt1&9, and some apperantly bad directions from I95 N, ( exit 4??? Seriously !!! )

Am coming in from I80 east, i have not yet settled on how to get from I80E to Rt1/9 s.

That is a huge spagetti bowl....

Anyone..... ideas ☺

Ok, it this maybe a little odd?

And he has an older qualcom.

Is this some kinda part of TNT training?

Wellbutrin - hair follicle test

I took welbutrin a couple of years ago to quit smoking.

Ditto, tell them as such, it is not just for depression.

Smoke free for just over a year now.

MPG

Good point Rainy, my trainer is real anal on mileage, started on day one.

Week or so back we did a 18k load, but over teton pass, he complained about my fuel mileage. We just did a light load he insisted on attaining 10mpg.

Guess in light of what you just commented, i get it a bit more now on the "load by load" basis.

Has been very helpful, knowing the full size are very capable of 10 - 11 mpg.

Expect by the time i am solo, will be real stingy with the fuel. Just bot at my trainers level ☺

Mp3 players and such

Great tips guys, never thought of some of the repurcussions, well short of full headphones.

All good info......

MPG

What kind of fuel mileage is a good target/ expectation.

I get differant trucks larger, lightweights etc, just a kindageneral expectation.

I understand various companies reward better fuel mileage. Just eant to see what kind of target to shoot for during tnt phase.

Having no experience at all in the trucking industry I was amazed at how good the fuel mileage is, especially when compared to the diesel ambulances I used to drive

My trainer has a Peterbuilt 579 w/a PACCAR (sp?) even with me driving on a permit and struggling to shift it got 8.7 one week and 9.3 the last week of my permit driving phase. Both times we were well above Fleet average

Didnt happen to be wi5h prime was it? 😀