Comments By IR0ND0G

https://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/Grizzly228/image_zpscrs2iej5.jpeg avatar
  • IR0ND0G
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years ago

Family for OTR.

I'm about to be OTR and I can tell you, from my point of view, they are very much my motivation. Being away will be rough, but not as rough as losing a house.

Posted:  6 years ago

Hello everybody. I have a question about CLP.

I think you simply misread or incorrectly interpreted the wording they provided.

Posted:  6 years ago

Hello everybody. I have a question about CLP.

They are clearly stating that the CDL learning course is recommended, not required. The Commercial Learners Permit is required, period.

Posted:  6 years ago

Commercial Learners Permit Exam

Thanks Brett, passed my tests early today. The High Road is awesome, passed all my required tests including endorsement tests with ease. Wisconsin did ask a handful of questions that were not covered and I had to make an educated guess at, but nothing too difficult. I have submitted my application to a reputable company and await their reply. Again, thanks to all here, especially the High Road.

Posted:  6 years ago

Commercial Learners Permit Exam

Feeling pretty confident after my second run through the High Road. Going for my permit next Wednesday so I can get going on getting interviewed and scheduled to start school within next few weeks. Thank all of you who contribute information here. I don't frequently comment, but I do read most postings on this site. Hopefully I will do well and get the show on the road. Looking forward to changing status to 'in school' soon.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Embarrassing

As I prepare to head to school next month, your concerns about your kids are similar to mine. While I do care what they think and how they feel, there are only so many things we can do. It's a balancing act. For me, knowing that my decision to go OTR will ultimately help us (as a family) keep our house outweighed how anyone felt. Our home will be preserved, the heat will stay on, and there'll be food on the table. In the longer term, I'll gain the necessary experience to eventually find something that may accommodate more home time, but until then I will do whatever is needed for the overall betterment of the family as a whole.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Laws about tasers

Not sure exactly where I saw it, but someone recommended just carrying a can or two of long range wasp spray. Comes out in an expanding foam spray that won't end up in your face in most wind conditions. It won't force you out of the truck like OC or OC/CS combo sprays will. It won't be noticed as a weapon as your simple reasoning is 'I carry it to keep the wasps from building nets that interfere with me inspecting the truck' or to keep them from building nests under the fairings. Yes, it may blind someone, but if you actually reach the point to where you'd have to use it to defend yourself, that's the least of your worries. It's cheap, attainable, and replaceable at any Walmart.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Rand McNally TND 730 lm

Travel Centers of America (TA Petrol) refueling stations with a lot of road essentials and non-essentials.

Studying for the CDL

I will be getting my CLP in January. I have been studying and taking tests on The High Road for the last month or so. I can tell you that it has helped me retain materials way better than reading a manual and a highlighter ever could. The simple, straightforward presentation of materials, and the random questions (more random as you make progress) have helped make the information stick rather than 'pass and forget' like some tests tend to do. I am very grateful for this site and those people that contribute no bull**** information to those of us preparing, those still learning, and... OK that last part covered everyone. I have recommended this site and THR to 3 other people I know looking at entering this profession. I guess my ramble basically says 'Why waste the opportunity of such a valuable tool?'

Company Performance

Considering they just bought BarrNunn, I'd have to say they're doing well and will continue to do well. Also factor in that the industry as a whole will need in the ballpark of 1 million new drivers in the next decade. I'm not yet a commercial driver, but through my research as I prepare to do so, I have learned that it is a roller coaster for companies and drivers. It has it highs, it has its lows, but it's not going to go away anytime soon. IMHO, you are overthinking or reading into something you read a little too much.

Thank you for this site and all of you who take the time to post valuable information.

I will be starting company paid training when they get me in after I hit my 20 anniversary where I work now (need to hit the 20 year mark for retirement upgrade). I have worked the last 20 years in maximum security prisons. I've had my fill of corrections and am ready for the change.

Lol, thx. I bleed Green & Gold, die hard cheese head.

A month or so ago I decided it was finally time for a career change. I have been leaning towards trucking for a while but my decision to do it has been on hold until I hit my 20 year employment anniversary in January and after I get a new hip at the end of this month. I apparently fractured my hip when I was younger (I'm 46 now) but my surgeon told me I'd be good to go 10 to 12 weeks after surgery. I was recently conditionally accepted by a company that will train me to get my CDL again. When I called them to tell them I could not immediately start, and explained why, they were very understanding and asked me to please contact them when I'm able to go. Honesty and good communication can pay off. The point of my post is that after reading stuff on here for several months, and then recently joining it, I have been impressed with the quantity of people who give professional opinions and advice to assist others. Again, thank all of you who have offered advice, tips, opinions, and even the dry sense of humor (which I can relate to). You have made my decision easier. I am looking forward to meeting a lot of new and obviously very interesting people. It is a step up from what I'm used to.

Seriously considering becoming a trucker

No one else can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Likewise, no one else can tell you what you can or can't succeed at. You yourself hold the keys to the answers of those questions. Do what your heart, mind, and gut tell you to do. When you do it, do it with the attitude and work ethic that make it happen. I understand your view regarding your parents, I was there once. I also understand them as I long ago became the parent. It's a growing and learning process for all, and it never stops, you just switch rolls. Irony is not without its own sick sense of humor. I have recently decided to leave my career of 20 years in corrections to hit the road myself. I have already been conditionally accepted at a certain company to get my CDL and drive for them. I have to shake of 26 years of rust since I last drove a commercial vehicle, but as with anything, it'll come with some studying and some max effort. I hope you find that approval or support from others is nice, but not required to succeed. Fortunately for me, my wife and kids are 100% supportive, but that support is a result of years of earning it. Financially, we are going to take a few lumps until I get going, but the duration of those lumps is on me, so i will not be second guessing myself, or worrying about it. I will just adjust, adapt, and move forward. I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals.

Realistic take home wages.

Thanks for all the input. My wife and I have been discussing it for some time now. I have to wait until early spring to make my decisions so I have time to keep getting more information and getting prepared if I do make the change. Thankfully I have a supportive wife and kids who would rather have a house than a waxed cardboard box to live in.

Realistic take home wages.

What are the realistic take home wages for a rookie driver in Roehl's national flatbed fleet. I'm talking about 110% commitment to long stretches away from home. I don't require health insurance (spouse has coverage). I do need their training to get my CDL as I have never held anything other than a CDL learners permit 26 years ago. I have peaked out my wages in my current career at a measly 35k after 20 years. I am under no illusions of making myself or family 'rich'. While my family is important to me, I can't move to find slightly greener pastures, the pastures where I live are even more bleak than the one I'm in, and the mortgage and other bills aren't going to pay themselves. That being said, I am looking at a final career opportunity for me. I am asking for no BS, just facts as best they can be provided. Thank you for your time if you have read this.