Profile For Offset Rookie

Offset Rookie's Info

NC

Company Driver In Training

3 years ago

Offset Rookie's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

PRIME NEW UPDATE

I just got a response from Stan Kasterke, head of PSD training. He states that due to new federal rules you MUST come to Prime with your permit from your home state. You will pass the test for the CDL and be given the test scores to take home. You will be routed home once you pass. They have been doing this for a year in the Salt Lake city terminal and have apparently worked out any kinks.

Keep in mind how fast these people respond. I emailed them an hour ago at my customer and I got the response already.

Does that also apply to the CDL training for Jim Palmer in Missouri too? Just curious. :)

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

Prime has changed this policy now. If you speak with a recruiter they will let you know not to get your permit now before you come as Missouri will not let you transfer it over, so you end up having to retake it when you get there. The only people they have get them before coming in Missouri residents. Hope this helps you some.

Thank you for the heads up! I was unaware of that. I guess I'll get in contact with a recruiter and figure out what I will need to do. You have definitely saved me time and money.

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

Yeah, the first part of JJ's comment says permit, but going through the High Road Training Program on your own isn't any rush. (Except the rush you get from passing the test on the first go! 😁) I also had my permit in hand my first day at Swift's Academy.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing lol. The High Road Training Program has been real helpful so far. I'd rather go at my pace than be rushed if I get my permit at school. I would like to experience passing the test on the first go! :)

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

Errol, I think he's only talking about getting his permit on his own. Of course now days many times you'll have to re-do it if you go to a school outside your state.

Yes, what Old School said. I just want to get a head start before I go to the Prime CDL training. :)

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

Follow this link, (copy and paste if needed then use search feature it will provide you with all the registered doctors in your area.

Its the law that they are registered - easiest to start here,

Well thank you! I had no clue this was available.

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

I have a chiro by me who does them for $40.

Most other places are $80-120.

What are you PLANNING ON DOING with this Permit?

If you are going to a "company sponsored school", that doesn't REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE A PERMIT when you show up - you are wasting your time & $$, as they are going to have you get a new permit and require you to take THEIR PHYSICAL anyways.

There's no "rushing though it". If you do the High Road Training Program here on this site - you will be more than ready to pass the permit test WHEREVER YOU GO.

Rick

Well, daggonit, I might have to check my local chiros and see if they would be any cheaper than my other options. I do plan on going with Prime and from what I read they recommend that I get the permit before going to training. They only give four days to get my CDL permit if I don't have it yet and I don't believe I'd be able to pass as well as doing it from home. I also think the transition from already having a permit to on-the-road training would seem a lot less stressful than having to instantly study as soon as I get there. I have been doing the High Road Training Program lately and it's been very helpful thus far. I'm just trying to get everything together ahead of time.

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

Check with the Company you plan to go with. I know Swift has a list of their approved Clinics. I used one on their list, got my card, got my permit, went to the Phoenix Academy, no problems. Some people had to re do theirs at Swift because the Doctor's/ Clinics weren't on the "Approved" list.

Good luck!

That's awesome that Swift has those resources at hand! I will have to see if Prime might have similar resources that I could utilize as well.

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

To me that isn't too bad of a price. You could also check with some of the local Walk In Clinics or Urgent Care walk in clinics. There is one by my house that does them as low as $79. I live in Tennessee. Also your personal doctor my be certified to do them. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you for the advice! I will have to look into those options and weigh out the best choice. $79 sounds a lot more reasonable to me but then again I will have to see what my state typically charges.

Posted:  3 years ago

Where To Get A DOT Physical

Hey all! I am considering getting my CDL permit on my own time instead of rushing through it if I go to a school sponsored CDL training program. It requires that I get my med card before doing anything else. I have seen that CVS has their MinuteClinic service that provides a DOT physical which meets DOT and FMCSA requirements in most of their locations. It costs $109 according to the website. Are there any other places that provide convenient DOT physicals that are also possibly cheaper? Thank you in advance!

Posted:  3 years ago

Companies That Pay You While Getting Your CDL

Welcome to the forum JJ.

Not sure if you had a chance to check out the below links:

These will provide you an excellent information primer; set realistic expectations, and help prepare you for passing the CDL permit exams.

Good luck!

Awesome! Thank you for the links. There is so much I knew little about going through them. I really do appreciate it.

Posted:  3 years ago

Companies That Pay You While Getting Your CDL

Be sure to ask what "training" means. At prime they will advance you $200 per week while you have the permit then when you test and get the CDL you get $700 gross per week for the first 30,000 miles while you team with a trainer. Once you go solo depending on the truck you get it is 41.5 CPM or 46.5 CPM.

The permit is usually about two weeks so if you can put off the creditors for a couple that would be great. Keep in mind that some schools have you pay them back a portion until you complete the contract then give it back to you at the end of the contract. With prime you sign a contract for $3200 or one year employment. I never paid a dime towards that. I needed $155 for admin and permit fees. The hotel and bus was paid for and food during orientation. Once on the road with the permit I was advanced $200 per week which gets paid back $25 per week once you get hired.

Keep in mind there are other costs.,. TWIC was $165 I think.....they took that out in two payments. If you need an apnea test its another $25 per week.

Here's my thread about primes student driving

my prime PSD experience

Paid CDL Training Programs

This will help you study for the test. Despite what many think, school does not include prep for the written exam. It includes driving from almost the point you get your permit. You need to study on your own so here is a great tool from this awesome site.

High Road Training Program

Thank you so much for the info! I knew very little about Prime's CDL training and how awesome it appears to be compared to some other training programs. I really appreciate it! I have also read the posts about your experience with them and it has really helped me with some other questions that I was going to ask. I will use the link you sent regarding the permit test. I am now wondering if you have to switch your home state to MO if you're getting the Class A CDL from Prime and then back to your home state. I am sure that's going to be more additional costs too.

Posted:  3 years ago

Companies That Pay You While Getting Your CDL

Hey all! I have been researching to find out which companies start paying you on your first week of CDL training. So far I have come across Roehl and Knight. From what I have read, Roehl pays $500 a week while Knight pays roughly $400. Are there any other company sponsored programs that offer such a similar training program? I am curious to know because I simply can't afford to take off work for a month without working to pay bills (paycheck to paycheck). I am sure there are others with the same situation that may find this post useful. Thank you kindly!