Comments By The Riot

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0959499001526511222-66010.jpg avatar
  • The Riot
  • Comments:

CFI CDL Training

Jmart or Big Scott, how is the health insurance plan at CFI?

Is it a decent plan and affordable? I know this a recruiter question, but what do you all think of it?

Becoming a truck driver with a disability?

Well I am happy to say I passed my CDL written test and received my permit. Will be heading to swift training in Memphis on Sunday. Super excited and nervous all at the same time.

Man, that's great news. Good luck!!

I see you're from Columbia, LA. I'm from the NOLA area. Getting ramped up for Mardi Gras for the next 5 days.

CFI CDL Training

Jmart, I look forward everyday to reading your remarks about your school progress.

I think your class started with 10 students, and one failed a drug screen, making 9 students. With 9 students, and I guess new classes starting, how many instructors are there? And how many trucks are available? Do you feel you are getting the instructor face time and truck availability to maximize your skills?

I saw that SW Missouri has been getting some cold, icy weather, stay warm out on the range!!

How can I private message someone?

Patrick, thank you for your response.

It occurred to me that I could go to my audiologist and have her give me a hearing test while wearing the hearing aid and see if the results exceed the minimum hearing criteria spelled out by the DOT.

And yeah, I'm becoming better and better at reading lips.

How can I private message someone?

OK Old School, I guess you're right.

Patrick, you mentioned in an old post that you have a lot of medical issues that trace back to your military service. I'd like to ask you questions on how you handle your hearing problems. I have almost zero hearing in my left ear, so bad that it's not even worth wearing a hearing aid.

My right ear has severe hearing loss, but it's corrected somewhat by a hearing aid. I can have normal conversations and use the phone most of the time if the person speaks clearly and doesn't mumble like a lot of people do.

How has your hearing problems effected you in your driving career? How did it effect you in CDL school? Have you had difficulty with passing a DOT physical?

And Thanks For Your Service and Sacrifice defending our country!

How can I private message someone?

PM function doesn't exist. Who do you want to contact?

We'll try to assist.

I'd like to message Patrick C.

How can I private message someone?

Thanks!!

CFI CDL Training

Jmart, what are class hours? And how many weeks is school?

Thanks for the training journal and best of luck!

CFI CDL Training

Are there classes on Saturdays and Sundays?

I read that you drove from Montana to Missouri. H ow will it work with you getting your vehicle back to Montana if you are assigned a truck?

CFI CDL Training

Is the dorm room double occupancy?

How many students in your class?

Good luck!!!

Prospects for a 60 year old applying for company school?

What are the prospects for a 60 year old being excepted into a company school?

I just made 60, work construction now. In good health, no drugs, haven't had a traffic ticket in 20 years, no DUI, no criminal record, have never been arrested. Divorced, older children out on their own.

For the last few years I have been thinking about getting a CDL , and going OTR to see the country. I think that after the holidays would be a good time for me to finalize my decision and apply and attend school.

Researching on this forum and others, I think that company training would be a good way for me to enter the industry. After following Big Scott's adventures at CFI, that is one company school I would apply to. Big Scott, were there any older students when you were there?

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice. This forum is very friendly compared to others, and all of you seem to be very good folks.

CFI company sponsored training through Truck Dynasty Driving Academy

Big Scott, how does CFI determine what students go to Crowther or Dynasty?

Most go to Crowder. If Crowder fills up they will send you to Truck Dynasty. Either way you will get the training you need to pass the test. You will train and test on 10 speeds. Most likely your finisher at CFI will have an autoshift. I hope that helps.

I may have missed it in your posts, but is the 3 meals a day included it the Dynasty school?

CFI company sponsored training through Truck Dynasty Driving Academy

Big Scott, how does CFI determine what students go to Crowther or Dynasty?

CFI company sponsored training through Truck Dynasty Driving Academy

Big Scott, best of luck. I lurk here, but am thinking about CFI school.

Does an OTR, solo Swift driver get dispatched on loads going to Canada?

Does an OTR, solo Swift driver get dispatched on loads going to Canada?

Is this info about Swift CDL school really true?

Thanks for all the responses to my initial thread.

I'm not afraid of the challenge of going to school to get my CDL, I just found it astounding that 16 out of 17 students taking the final CDL test could fail it. But now that I've read all of your responses, I realize that this guy may be BSing, or most of those students who failed the first time may have retaken the test, passed,and got their CDL.

It seems that a few people on this forum have attended the Swift school in Corsicana. Can any of you tell me if that is the location where Louisiana residents attend? I figure Louisiana residents would attend either Corsicana or Memphis.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum for the valuable info .

Is this info about Swift CDL school really true?

Amendment to my last post. Body Cams? Yes

BODY CAMS? Tell me you're kidding...

Rick

Yep, that was my thought too. Body cams seemed over the top. But I guess it is what it is.

And on the pass/ fail numbers I questioned, this guy gave the impression that out of 8 test takers at the END of school, that only 2 moved on to getting a CDL. And in the previous only 1 out of 17 moved on with a CDL in hand.

Is this info about Swift CDL school really true?

There is a guy posting on another site about his experiences at Swift school in Georgia.

He claims that in his class only 2 of the 8 students in his class passed the CDL test. And in the previous class only 1 out of 17 passed. Is the failure rate really anything close to this?

He also talks about how everywhere and everything at the Swift school is under video surveillance. Including all the Swift personnel at the school wearing body cams that records audio and video of every interaction with students. Seems a little overboard to me if true.