Profile For timerider

timerider's Info

Nixa, MO

In CDL School

3 years, 5 months ago

timerider's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  6 months, 4 weeks ago

Back again and looking for some answers...verifiable work history

How funny is that. We both are on here looking for some info and end up going with the same company. I also started on the 21st. This is more of a refresher for me but still exciting none the less since I haven’t driven a big truck in what seems like a very long time.

Today we started performing in line backing exercises and practicing pre trip inspections. Mostly everyone is doing good so hopefully we move in to some more challenging exercises soon. To be honest my mind is already out with my mentor and driving, that’s all I can think about.

I might make some sort of training diary depending on how busy I am.

Posted:  7 months ago

Back again and looking for some answers...verifiable work history

Hello. Yes I did find a place that is more than happy to bring me aboard. I have already started my training at C1 Truck Driving School in Stratford Mo. Swift Transportation is paying for my school, 3 weeks then I’ll be paired with a mentor for 200 hours of training OTR. I already have the first week completed and everything is working out great, passed my physical and permit test with all endorsements except Hazmat. We begin backing skills and shifting starting Monday. I’ve done a lot of research and feel a alSwift is a great place to start out. Really looking forward to new beginnings!

Josh

Absolutely true. So have you found anything as of right now? Have you tried applying for Pam Transportation? That is a good place to start, or Decker Transportation.

Thanks Victor C for reaching out and giving me some advice! I’ll look into the hire right website you shared with me. I Definitely want to be as honest and transparent about my past to companies considering me for employment. I’m not trying to hide nothing.

My biggest hurdle is verifiable work history. From what I’ve read, it’s a dot regulation to have at least 36 months verifiable work history. I don’t know if every company abides by these standards or not, or if it even is a standard? I CAN account though what I’ve been doing with my time these past few years through my college transcripts.

As far as driving jobs go I would either like to drive flatbed again or pull a reefer for a couple years to get my experience again. Everyone needs to eat, so reefer seams like a good stable gig. Flatbed was awesome because how much time I got to spend out side the truck securing loads, good exercise to make up for sitting on your but mostly.

I understand though since I have some dings in my MVR and I have been unemployed for a stretch I might not get to pick my first job and I am alright with that so long as I can get back in the game. Eventually I would like to relocate to a bigger city for more work opportunities and there’s nothing like having a CDL when it comes to job choices.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Finally chose new gig

That's awesome!

looking back, did time fly or drag durring OTR?

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

What's the most exciting thing you've ever seen or done as a driver on the road?

Driving down the grapevine for the first time in a curtain side with the wind trying to blow me off the side of the mountain. This was an old single stack smashed nose Mack truck from the early 80’s and I was driving this in 2006, only semi the company had. I had no otr experience and was just about fresh out of school. I was pulling a fully loaded curtain van crammed full of new atv’s in crates coming out of Bakersfield headed to L.A. The load had shifted and one of the crates slid out pushing the side of the curtain, I could see it in my mirrors and I had no way of getting over to bring the truck to a stop because my breaks were fading and I was scared to try a down shift for lower gears, as this trucks transmission was very specific on its shift points. Engine break was on but it was very weak as I remember so I had to pump the breaks the whole way down and even that was making them fade.

I’ll never forget my ride down that mountain thinking every run away ramp was my sanctuary, but I held in there till the bottom. I had to pull over as soon as I got to some what flat terrain and stretch my whole body because I was so cramped from puckering all the way down.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Back again and looking for some answers...verifiable work history

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Back again and looking for some answers...verifiable work history

I thought about getting my CDL a few years back and decided to get a degree in Industrial Maintenance instead. Well I got the degree and now I can’t find a job in my area because I have no experience. So here I am again looking to get my CDL.

My problem is verifiable work history. I was a full time student and stay at home dad. How hard will it be for me to get a driving job out of school? I plan to attend a 160 hour course in my hometown. I’ve been at home since November of 2015. Worked at a manufacturer building electronics for 3 years before that. I started school in January 2016. On my summers off from school I mowed for cash around my city. I use to drive a flatbed back in 2005-2007 and lost my license because a dui in my personal vehicle. I have a couple speeding tickets from 2014-2015, both were for 10 over the speed limit.

Just being honest, and letting it all hang out. I want to drive again, because I enjoyed it! Most of my experience was local work, hauling a 53’ curtain side up and down the coast on hwy 101 filled with new motorcycles, going to and from dealerships. I’d love to do that job again.

If you could pinpoint one area in the U.S, do you have a favorite place you enjoy driving through?

I have driven through Arizona and I absolutely agree, beautiful place but man it would suck to break down out there.

Do you have a favorite place you enjoy driving through or is it all just a blur? Try to be specific as to where it is and why you like it.

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Good job, congratulations on completing! I tried to go to the school through Wil-Trans but they turned me down because I had training before from another school, at least that's what they told me.

Does this sound right?

There are plenty of companies that do not require team driving after training. Keep researching and applying to different companies.

For what its worth, I applied to 30 different companies before I selected the one that I'll be starting with next month.

Yeah I decided against signing the contract and running teams. I've turned over a couple of rocks since my first post and decided to fund my own schooling and do pre-hires with a few companies around me. Most of the companies I talked to sounded like they would be more than willing to give me a shot at training if I had the school done. These companies don't offer school but they will train someone if everything checks out alright......work history, mvr, background and so on.

Thanks for the advise and I will keep you guys posted!

Does this sound right?

Nearly all companies will put new CDL/ recent grad people on a team truck for at least several weeks. Often it's with an experienced instructor. Then you get your very own truck!

You didn't say what company gave you the thumbs up. With that information you'll get a more detailed answer. In this forum you can be open with company names, we have members from lots of companies who can give you the low-down

You have a point. The company is Trailiner out of Springfield, MO. I've read a couple reviews on here from people who went through the school and everything sounded good to me, that's mainly why I applied there. Overall though there's not much information on them since they are a smaller company I guess.

Does this sound right?

Hello everyone,

Today I called and talked to a recruiter here in my hometown after filling out their online application. After a brief conversation and questions pertaining my past he said I would qualify for their cdl training program. Only thing is, Instead of running solo after my training they want me to run teams for a year before I can go solo.

I do have a couple of spots on my record so I feel this is why I was offered team instead of solo, but I could be mistaken, maybe that's just what they need most! This company hauls reefers from coast to coast and he said I'd be paid 19 cpm up to my 6 month mark after training, and then it would increase to 24 cpm till the end of the year. This company also said that average I will be running 20,000 mi. per month.

To me it sounds like a pretty good deal, I'll get some more experience and get to make a little more money than I would be driving solo. I get along with people pretty easy so I'm not to worried about personality issues and the way I look at it, it's only for a year, if it doesn't work out I can jump over to be a solo driver. Does this sound like a reasonable offer?

At this point I don't feel it responsible for me to give names. If when I do decide to take the offer and begin training I will share more details with everyone. Thanks.

JS

Got pulled over!

I would think state law trumps what your employer says, but then again it is a positive for your employer to be backing you up. Good luck, hope everything goes smooth for you or at least in your favor.

What are my chances of securing a job?

Hello everyone, new guy here and hopefully soon to be truck driver in the future! How does my record look to a potential employer, I know its not perfect but I honestly don't think its terrible either.

I used to drive a truck, did it for 2 years then quit. Soon after I quit, I received a DUI in my own vehicle, this was in 2008. I completed some AA meetings, and paid all my fines, after this incident I quit drinking and never looked back.

Here it is, several years later and I want to get back on the road. Since that incident I got 2 speeding tickets, one in 2014 and another in 2015. The 2014 ticket was issued for going 19 mph over the speed limit of 65. The 2015 ticket was issued for going 10 mph over the speed limit of 35.

I've been unemployed for the last year. Before my unemployment I was working for the same employer in manufacturing for 3 years and 11 months.

Also, don't know if this will count for anything but I did attend school while I was unemployed and started a volunteer program with the Missouri Department of Conservation. Anyways, its not like I was at home sitting on my but, I thought I had a good plan and a goal but things changed.

I hope to get a job with either Jim Palmer, Wil-Trans, O&S trucking or Trailiner. These companies offer CDL training and I feel like they would make a good fit for me.

So what do you all think? Is it going to be a uphill climb or am I worrying about nothing? I know there's mega carriers out there that are more lenient on new hires and have terminals close by but I'm trying to stick to a medium to small size carrier.

Please comment and let me know what you think, Thanks.

JS

Wil-Trans CDL Training

Glad to hear you're having a great experience. I am getting all my ducks in a row before I start calling and talking to some of the companies here in Springfield Mo. for my cdl training and Wil-Trans is #1 on my list. What was your deciding factor in choosing this company for training? I am also looking at Jim Palmer but have read on one of the comments in this forum that they can be picky sometimes. Do you think company paid CDL is the way to go? Are they giving you the miles they promised? How long do you stay out? Sorry for bombarding you with a ton of questions, I just want to make sure I can get with a good honest company. Look forward to your future post. Good luck on the road!

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

I managed for Home Depot for 8 years, quit in 1998. Started my own handyman business which led to 16 years of home repo's for multiple banks....economy turned around, foreclosure's slowed down and at 55 not too many options for employment......so now I drive a big truck all over the place!

Do you enjoy truck driving now?