Comments By Adam B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar
  • Adam B.
  • 3 years ago
  • Comments:

Got placed out of service

I fueled up and took my 30 break at the same time. I logged the fueling as off duty and I'm sure you see where this is going.

I got pulled over a few miles from the California border and received a level 2 inspection. I got hit with falsifying logs and placed out of service for not logging my fuel stop. 10 min cost me 10 hours, a hit to Primes CSA score, and this load getting delivered on time. Plus I expect some sort of punishment from Prime.

I can't really make any excuses on this. I did it to save time on my 70 and I told the officer what I did when he asked if he would find anything before searching my logs so I was 100% honest. The only bright spot is no citation.

Lesson learned, I'll be 100% on point about logging my fuel stops.

Qualcomm depart from shipper

I don't drive for Prime, but taking a SWAG at it; my thoughts is it is for multistop deliveries and pickups. I know produce tends to have multiple stops. The seals get broke and a new seal gets put on. It is keeping track of which seal is on when.

I am sure one of the Prime drivers can tell you what it is for exactly.

Prime driver here, it's exactly this.

Have a 2 stop load. After your first stop, you put on the second seal on the trailer line. Original seal is seal in, second seal is seal out. Make a note of it on the bills as well. It's to maintain a seal record and protect against a claim.

Most miles you've driven in a shift?

I've been running super hard these past 2 days. Yesterday I ran a personal best 640 miles and today I topped that by running 648. In a governed 58/62 truck.

How many miles have you ran in a shift?

New Article Now On TruckingTruth: Truckers And Guns

Obviously company policy trumps everything. Even if it's legal in your state, your company may disallow it. With Prime, getting caught with a gun on board is one of the quickest ways to be out of a job. They literally fire you on the spot without letting you drive the truck to a terminal.

Road Assist: I love you!

Yeah I think I am probably one of those that get on there nerves, especially as of late. I'll contact them for the most minor of issues that I probably shouldn't do. I sent them messages about a tiny crack in the windshield, a dashlight, and other tiny issues.

New Article Published: Your Best Advice To A Driver Preparing To Go Solo

I went solo 2 and a half months ago. Let's see if I can tackle these questions.

How many miles should you try to run those first few months?

Some will say to slowly ease into the miles. I say get a running start and show dispatch you want to run. I probobly average 2500 a week. One of my first week's I ran 3300.

How is dispatch going to react if you shut down for bad weather and wind up late for an appointment?

Hasn't happened to me yet but Prime constantly says we're the captain of the ship. If it's dangerous to run because of weather, dispatch should understand. If it's only rain and you hate driving in it, you may get a different message from dispatch.

How many hours should you be trying to drive without a break?

I usually aim for a 30 around the half way point, though sometimes I run that 8 hour clock down so I have less driving on the other side of the break. If you're tired that's a different story. IMO it's something you need to find out for yourself.

How many miles make for a solid week?

2500-2700. Anything higher is a really good week. Just know you won't get 2500 every week, some weeks you may only run 1600-2000. Depends on a multitude you factors including your 70 hours, taking a 34, hometime and freight in the areas youre in.

When you guys were new, did you find yourself getting tired long before your shift was up?

When I was training and running nights, yes all the time. In the day time I rarely get tired if I get a decent sleep. There are hard days that will make me exhausted, such as mountain driving, multiple stops loads.

Also, what type of schedules did you guys try to keep?

Drive in the day, sleep at night. More specifically, start at 4-5am and shut down around 3-4 pm. You'll still have tons of options for parking and you'll avoid evening traffic.

Was it difficult adjusting to driving at night in the beginning?

I avoid driving nights whenever I can. My body never adjusted to it in training.

Did you try running mostly during the day, or leave really early in the morning and get parked early? What type of schedule makes sense if you have some flexibility to work with?

I avoid night driving. I know the benefits of it but my body could never adjust to it. Instead I'd run really early. I've ran as early as 1am. Usually I try to start around 430-5am on a typical day. Obviously appointment times will decide when you can drive. Starting at 8-9am is probably the worst time as you'll be driving through rush hour twice and parking starts to be hard to find around 5 or 6.

Drivers releasing locking jaws at truck stops.

I have words for those people that are inappropriate for this site.

It does happen, it's rare but it happens. That's why you always inspect your truck before you start driving, even if you were just in and out.

Prime drivers....

Prislc is prime Salt Lake City. Pripit is Pittston Prispr (just as guess as I haven't been to Springfield yet) is Springfield?

Alternatively you can just do an address search for prime springfield and it'll pops up.

P.s anyone in SLC tonight come say hi to me.

Anyone at the Pittston Prime Terminal?

Stopping there later today to get work done on the truck. Will be there until tomorrow. Anyone else there?

Prime reward points

I've never gotten points or surveys and I've been solo for a few months. How do you get them?

Bonehead Moment

I think it happens to everyone. Sometimes our brains shut off for a moment. Though not as big as yours, I had a similar thing. I was at a shipper and got assigned a door. There was enough space to back in drivers side and thats the direction i approached the dock. For whatever reason I decided to make a U Turn and blind side it before it occurred to me what I was doing. Yeah, I went around the lot again and did it drivers side then.

Game: what forum member impressed you it made you proud?

I've been on this forum for a little while and have seen quite a few drivers go through school, training, and then go solo. Some of them went through school the same time as I did and what do you know...we are still here lol

I thought it could be inspirational to newbies for us to name some members who have been a pleasure to watch them grow and benefitted from some guidance

Adam was frustrated and wanted to quit training. Things weren't going well with his trainer and he questioned his decision to get into trucking.

Now he's been driving solo for a couple months, doing great and even ran Hazmat his first load!

Figured I'd take the time to say how proud I am of him that he toughed it out. And he made some good money on his first week! Way to go!!

I did it, he did it...and any of you newbies can too. :)

I think I owe it to you I did not quit lol. Was pretty crazy my first load was hazmat, since I never ran it in training. Glad I stuck through it though.

Truck Stop Etiquette

I used to be one of those people that took 30s in the fuel island, before I was confident enough to back at truck stops. Now whenever I pull up to the line, I try to get what I need done (usually just fuel recipt) ASAP for the driver behind me.

Mobile phone service

Don't forget to check with your company if they offer deals with a cell phone carrier. For example, Prime gets a special plan with Sprint and deducts the phone plan from your paycheck.

On ramp etiquette

People may hate it but I always drive in the middle lane in cities. Yeah I'll have traffic passing me on both sides but I don't have to deal with the dangers of merging traffic or changing lanes when the right lane turns exit only.

One time i was driving in TN, was in the right lane. Car is coming down the entrance ramp. I can't move over so I slow down to let the car in. The car merging also slows down, being afraid to merge in front of me. Eventually the car stopped on the ramp since she now had to wait for another opening.

Question for Prime drivers...

I think Prime mainly wants to see you're not jumping jobs alot. Honestly I would probobly call them and speak to a recruiter and see what they're say.

Reefer is more night driving?

I despise night driving but I found a happy medium. Start early morning, say 230-3am. You'll be done before the afternoon rush hour and all the truck stops will still have tons of parking available.

Suggestions needed for getting through Chicago tomorrow.

Honestly as long as you're not going straight through downtown, Chicago isnt that bad, even during rush hour.

Any good trucking simulators out there?

Euro truck simulator and American truck simulator are the most popular ones.

To get the best experience you'll want to buy a steering wheel with a clutch pedal, otherwise you'll have to use the keyboard or controller which is no where close to being the same.

The games can really help with backing and learning how they trailer responds when turning the wheel. You cant GOAL in the game but there's multiple camera views (including top down) to help you.

Prepass/scales question

No one has mentioned hazmat so ill bring it up. Some weigh stations require hazmat to pull in, regardless of what prepass or the lighted sign days (unless closed of course.)