Comments By Papa Pig

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0143628001646949539-67010.jpg avatar
  • Papa Pig
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months ago

Anyone local to Denver

I am in Denver instructing and will have tomorrow night and Sunday off. If anyone wants to meet up I’m in the Arvada/Oldtown area. Would love to swap lies with one of y’all lol.

Posted:  3 months ago

Preparing for CDL school. Need advice.

Pay attention Be humble Have a great attitude Be willing to learn from your mistakes Pay attention be humble Have a great attitude! Go with the flow Remember every instructor you meet may have a different teaching style but they are basically saying the same thing. They all WANT you to pass. It’s not a given but they will do their best. Have a good attitude

Most of that applies to trucking in general and not just cdl school. Good luck!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

VA Apprentice Program

The apprenticeship program is not reliant on your route. It is all on the company. If you go with let’s say Schneider or CFI and they have the apprenticeship program you would get it whether you were local, regional,straight OTR. That being said a lot of strictly local companies are less likely to offer it. And different companies pay it out differently.

Also I would give a regional home weekly route a chance before I went local. A lot of local driving positions can be very tight maneuvering and kinda stressful.

Some of the big carriers might have local routes available but only after you are with them a few months. Because of the reasons mentioned above.

Good luck

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Pulled my last DG load

Anne and the gang

Things are going well but mostly it’s pretty repetitive. I do enjoy meeting a new group of students every week and it’s cool to see the lightbulb go off in their heads when they finally understand how to maneuver a trailer.

I describe it to them to imagine backing as one of those blurry pictures that has a sailboat in it once you look at it a certain way. It may take a minute , 5 minutes, hell may be a few different times and days but at some point you will see it clear as day and wonder why you couldn’t make it out before. Once you see the boat in the picture you won’t unsee it.

I finally got my instructor class completed with Ga DDS today. To be an instructor in GA you must be certified by the state. I had been waiting on the dang thing for a month. From what I hear ELDT requirements threw a shock in the whole system. But anyways I got the class and passed the test .

I have to travel to Denver to help teach at one of our sister schools soon and will be there for 2 weeks. So if anyone is in Denver and wants to catch a cup of Joe let me know.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Pulled my last DG load

I’m fine guys. Tbh the first day I had it was the day after a little imbibing. So I thought it was just a hangover haha. But my symptoms were mild and manageable . Today was my first day back at work. Teaching maneuvers and doing my thing.

Thank y’all for all the well wishes. It’s much appreciated.

I will share what I can when I can but there is a limit because of confidentiality agreements and whatnot. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I love my new job but would be lying if I said I didn’t kind of miss my daily hustle with delivering the dg loads. I do enjoy seeing “the lightbulb” turn on and the smile when a maneuver clicks in a students head and they comprehend all these words I am throwing at them.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Pulled my last DG load

Anne

It’s been going well just not a whole lot to update on. Been down with the rona past week so haven’t been on much. The new requirements aren’t that bad. But been having fun mostly

Posted:  5 months ago

Anyone Work For: Dollar General (the company itself, not a contractor) DG Fresh out of Ardmore, Oklahoma ?

I would call the carrier that also runs out of that dc and see what their pay package is .

If this is your first driving job I do need to warn you that it isn’t easy. Neither the unloading or the backing.

Posted:  5 months ago

Noob trucker starting with Dollar General.

What are your average miles per load? Unless they are crazy long I think 4 at least. Luckily I never had to do recap

Posted:  5 months ago

I did not work for dollar general but was on dollar general dedicated for Werner. I was friendly with a few dg company drivers.I primarily ran dry but had to help out in the fresh account on occasion. Your runs will be from 3-800 round trip and on those you will have from 8-15 stops. There will be a refrigerated and frozen section with about 2-3 rolltainers per store full of milk/ juice/non frozen dairy to be taken off the truck with a liftgate. And about 1full or 1/2 pallets frozen food in the frozen section to be broken down and moved to the edge of the trailer on the side (there is no ramp) to be placed on u-boat and pushed in the store. You will then be responsible to load up as many empty rolltainers of milk crates that you can fit at every stop. Your average load will take you 2 days. And will pull 3 loads on average per week.

As the name says dollar general delivers to only dollar general stores and those will vary from newer stand alone stores, older stand alone stores, dg markets , and the stores that are i the middle of strip malls. IMO it would be better to join a company like Schneider/ Werner etc that runs out of that dc because they have other accounts you can switch to if you don’t like it. So instead of switching companies you can do something else with the company. Dg only offers dry and fresh to dg stores.

In Alabama Werner raised the fresh mileage to around 60 something cpm and 18 dollars a stop for fresh. While on dry I was making 61 cpm , 55 per trailer , and 30 per stop. From what I gathered we were making more than our dg counterparts on both dry and fresh. Different distribution centers have different pay packages. My checks averaged between 1700-2000 per week but I was a runner and knew how to work my clock and manage my time.

I will say that their driver retention rate was not very good . I don’t know if it was due to pay or culture. If you want specific pay for DG at that Dc their recruiters will be pretty honest with you. Don’t ask for the average. Ask what the mileage and stop pay is. The rest of the information I gave you is spot on as far job description (I assure you)lol If you have talked to them what info have they given you so far?

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Will Major Foot Cramps (that temporarily may impair driving) mess up getting a trucking career going? (schooling, hiring, training, etc)

It depends.

Does it cause a distracting pain that will cause you to spasm and not be able to push a break pedal? Would the cramp keep your attention off the road ? If not then it shouldn’t hurt your chances. If so then that could be a big problem. Your attention must be on the road 100% of the time and not somewhere else. Not sayin that to be mean but you will need to take a realistic look at it. Is there an underlying problem? Is it treatable to where it wouldn’t be as severe? I hope things work out for you. Good luck!

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Pulled my last DG load

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the kind comments and well wishes. I don’t consider myself all that good. I had some luck and wore the tread down on a lot of good work boots by all of the damn GOALing . Lol It’s a process to get certified in the state I am teaching in but I have some pretty good dudes that are showing me the way and what’s expected. Pitching a full form pretrip, coupling system and in cab in front of students ins way more nerve wracking than getting the initial cdl. That and being evaluated at the same time. Sheesh. I wanted to start shaking like a hound dog crapping a peach seed but got over it and was able to get through it without looking like too much of an idiot lol.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Pulled my last DG load

Thanks Anne. I don’t think I have any relatives in Tn but who knows. My dad was a Door to door vacuum salesman at one point and was fairly successful 😂🤣

Here is my view at work this morning

0945884001642563830.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Pulled my last DG load

It’s going pretty well so far Harvey. I am currently in the certification process to be an instructor at a pretty good (IMO) CDL school. It’s taking some getting used too but I genuinely enjoy teaching. I figured I might as well pass on some of that hard earned DG backing knowledge to others lol

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Better Schools If Price and Length No Issue

If you are wanting to have your gi bill pay for school then the Troops into Transportation program might work for you. The closest location to you currently would be Ft Hood, Tx . Most if not all of the instructors are also vets and your fellow students will be vets as well.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

How has trucking effected your health?

0544773001641924778.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Broke my truck and other c**p

That sounds like a rough week man. I almost got my truck stuck in my yard once. Thought the ground out back was solid enough but I was mistaken. I left the big rut there as a reminder for awhile lol. It be like that sometimes Just remember that we truckers are like a good fishing bobber. We might get pulled under from time to time but we always pop up again. I hope the next few weeks gives you some relief. Drive safe brother.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Took one for the team!!

Boonsboro Shopping Center Lynchburg, Va

Now I'm confused. Please use a map to show where he almost hit the building, and how he was trying to get out. Off this map getting in looks self explanatory and not too different than many retail stores I deliver to.

0570281001641066649.jpg if it were me I'd pull in as I outlined, hook a left after you make it down the aisle, then a right to get behind the store. After done unloading it looks like you can loop around the entire shopping center on the back side. If for whatever reason you can't then I'd come out the same way I went in or I'd go in front of all the stores in the shopping center. I guess I just don't understand where on the map this all occured. Also, going into a downtown area isn't ideal but local drivers do that multiple times a day.

#facts Plenty of times I would have killed for that much room.

Posted:  6 months ago

Took one for the team!!

No sh@t there I was. Knee deep in hand grenade pins and surrounded by rabid circus clowns

Posted:  6 months ago

Welcome, NEW YEAR, and A HAPPY ONE, to Y'ALL ! :)

Happy new year!

Posted:  6 months ago

Advice for my CDL test

To keep it simple. Take your time, try not to oversteer. Imagine lines extending from whatever box you are trying to get it into and use them as guides.

If you have to do a pull-up use all the room you can to try and get yourself straight with the box as you are pulling up.

You aren’t the first one to have problems and won’t be the last. Don’t give up on yourself or the job. It’s a new skill and given time it will come easy.

Good Luck!