Comments By Remy E.

https://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p438/coldpaw111/unspecified_zpsorun8hja.jpg avatar
  • Remy E.
  • Comments:

Illinois felonies and applications.

So I've been putting in my apps through that Driver Pulse thing and was confused because it never asked about criminal history. Swift said that I had simply (somehow) missed the section, but US Express laid it out for me. It turns out that in Illinois an employer cannot ask about criminal history during the application process unless it is directly connected to the job. Like in this case They can ask you about driving related crimes. DUIs and the like. Just something I thought I would put out there in case anyone else is in Illinois and was confused about this section.

160 Driving Academy

Oh no, MATH, My only weakness!

Well I'm waiting for the final decision from swift now. Next time I talk to the recruiter lady I'll have her explain it and probably email the proper documents as Rainy suggests.

160 Driving Academy

Errol, are you saying that the contract is for 13 months but in order to pay it back in full it would take 26 months?

What's on your radio

Audiobooks. Mostly stuff I've actually read before. I'm learning to love Heinlein again.

Yes! I learned how to read longer books with Robert A.!

Someone handed me a beat up copy of starship Troopers the day I left Ft. Benning. I was blown away when I found out it was written in the 50s.

160 Driving Academy

Right, a contract in return for the training is something I am expecting. But, for example, swift will train you, contract you, and then take part of your pay to pay back the training. That's what I'm afraid they aren't telling me.

160 Driving Academy

I'm just skeptical of anything that's free. I just can't see them giving away 4 grand, y'know? I just need to see what they are asking in return, how long of a contract they want in return. But it's good to know someone has had a good first hand experience with them.

Company applications.

Yup. That's the one, Susan. I actually like it. I hate typing out the same info over and over!

160 Driving Academy

Thanks Landion. Peoria is probably the closest location to me if not their Champaign- Urbana branch. If I go with swift anyway. I was contacted by US Xpress today offering me "free" Training at Premier CDL. It sounds too good to be true though.

Company applications.

So are all the major companies using the same program to take applications now? Nearly all of my information is pre-filled now.

Anyone at swift have a moment?

2. The possibility of local is higher at some terminals than others. Mine in Albuquerque only has 2 local drivers the other daycabbers do shuttle so for example 2 drivers will drive to Bushland, TX to swap trailers with the Oklahoma city terminal and then drive back to albuquerque.

I just got this weird mental image of two trucks speeding down the highway side by side, Doing some highly choreographed figure 8 drift, while their trailers automatically unhooked just before slamming onto the new trailers and racing back home side by side again.

160 Driving Academy

That makes a lot of sense Brett, Survival of the fittest in school form I suppose. I think after work I'm going to get in touch with them and ask some in depth questions. What are the questions you would ask if you were in my place?

What's on your radio

160 Driving Academy

I believe Swift is outsourcing their CDL classes to a chain called 160 Driving Academy. Has anyone experienced them? I'd like to know I'm in good hands if I go through them.

Driver trainer

I know for class B and I would assume for A that they would have to hold a CDL and be able to operate the truck. If something happens they need to be able to operate it instead of the trainee.

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

8096_2.jpg

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

Lanyards maybe? Or would that fall under keychains....

Is it worth buying an older truck?

There is certainly a therapeutic aspect to work like that. It really hits home with me when I'm welding. Get a good bead going and it's like massage for my brain.

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Oh, without a doubt, Tractor Man, I love my toys and I love turning wrenches but I think it all stems from my need to be able to fix anything I own myself. So in the end I spend a ton of money in the pursuit of being cheap! You should have seen my first bike. couple hundred for the bike and then a couple thousand fixing it up.

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Well in that case I think we need kit trucks! A cool old school shell on modern equipment!

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Understood. Well thanks for going over those points despite the fact that it's not the point of this forum. You've given a lot of good points and it's not something that I planned to jump on until I had a couple years in a company driver anyway if at all. But again, I really do appreciate the response!