Comments By Remy E.

https://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p438/coldpaw111/unspecified_zpsorun8hja.jpg avatar
  • Remy E.
  • 3 years ago
  • Comments:

160 Driving Academy

I believe Swift is outsourcing their CDL classes to a chain called 160 Driving Academy. Has anyone experienced them? I'd like to know I'm in good hands if I go through them.

Driver trainer

I know for class B and I would assume for A that they would have to hold a CDL and be able to operate the truck. If something happens they need to be able to operate it instead of the trainee.

Posted:  3 years ago

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

8096_2.jpg

Posted:  3 years ago

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

Lanyards maybe? Or would that fall under keychains....

Posted:  3 years ago

Is it worth buying an older truck?

There is certainly a therapeutic aspect to work like that. It really hits home with me when I'm welding. Get a good bead going and it's like massage for my brain.

Posted:  3 years ago

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Oh, without a doubt, Tractor Man, I love my toys and I love turning wrenches but I think it all stems from my need to be able to fix anything I own myself. So in the end I spend a ton of money in the pursuit of being cheap! You should have seen my first bike. couple hundred for the bike and then a couple thousand fixing it up.

Posted:  3 years ago

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Well in that case I think we need kit trucks! A cool old school shell on modern equipment!

Posted:  3 years ago

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Understood. Well thanks for going over those points despite the fact that it's not the point of this forum. You've given a lot of good points and it's not something that I planned to jump on until I had a couple years in a company driver anyway if at all. But again, I really do appreciate the response!

Posted:  3 years ago

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Huh, That's... A pretty good point. Just like it here so I'm like "ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS!"

Wil-Trans-The First And Only Company I Called

I was passed over by them but it's understandable. They were very professional about it and didn't try to feed me any bull before looking at my apps and such. If you get a chance though check out Allie Knight on youtube. She drives for them and makes a great impression for the company.

Posted:  3 years ago

Is it worth buying an older truck?

Like the title says, is it worth it? I have a deep affection for old cabovers. Would it be worth it in terms of Miles per gallon and upkeep or would I just be buying a new way to burn money? I'm talking late 80's to 90's like a 93 K100 or something along those lines. Also asking this with the assumption that in addition to the purchase price there would be an initial investment in repairs and paint and other things like that.

Family for OTR.

Verizon offers a data thing where you get half an hour of unlimited 4g for 2 bucks or an hour for three bucks. Doesn't touch your monthly data.

**TruckingTruth's 10 Year Anniversary!!!**

Sweet. Happy anniversary.

Family for OTR.

That also brings up a good point. We live in the age of facetime and skype. Just because you can't tuck them in doesn't mean you can't spend time with the kids. And a spouse you hopefully like.

Family for OTR.

I traveled in construction for many years. I was usually gone for months a a time. I always missed my kids and motorcycles. Now that I have a wife that I like making the decision to give up my local construction job and start traveling again is very hard. Part of why, even though driving a truck has always been a dream of mine, I haven't taken that step. My wife will support me in any decision I make. We were discussing it last night and I can make more money pulling freight than what I do now. I would be home more often driving than i was when traveling in construction.

Well having a wife you actually like is always a bonus LOL. I also know the feeling about the bikes. I miss my fatboy and it's only 10 feet away. I really should move to someplace with ridable winters. I wish you luck in whatever you decide though. Who knows, you and your wife might be able to travel together.

Family for OTR.

I'm about to be OTR and I can tell you, from my point of view, they are very much my motivation. Being away will be rough, but not as rough as losing a house.

Yeah, I can understand that. Best of luck.

Class B to Class A

It probably doesn't matter that much as long as you make sure you get prehires if you decide on private school.

Also a very good point.

Family for OTR.

Here's an interesting question for you current and past over the OTR guys. Do you think having a family at home makes your time out there better or worse? Are they a motivation for your work or do they make you homesick? I know it's an odd question but I currently have no real tie downs but it's a consideration I'd like to make if I settle down in the future.

CDL Class B

As an aside, air brakes are not an endorsement either. Class L restriction if I remember right.

Class B to Class A

Don't forget has a great resource for getting your application out.

Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

That may also be of use. Just shotgun your app out. Kinda like throwing spaghetti at a wall. See what sticks.

Thanks Patrick, I'll give that a shot!