Comments By Aaron M.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bluekw.jpg avatar
  • Aaron M.
  • Comments:

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

I forgot to update this.

I did it with no issues. Well I went to the wrong address but where I needed to go was only a few blocks down the road.

Lots of signs pointing me in the right direction but you still need to be careful driving out there. Very tight quarters even at the reciever I went to. It was pan hellanic.

I really don't want to go back but if I had to I will. Just plan plan plan and u will be okay.

I am a rest area attendant. Ask me anything.

What is ironic to me is that major truck companies will tell you that you must take a sleep apena test if you're overweight but there isn't a lot of healthy choices out here on the road.

I have heard of drivers who were thin and fairly healthy before and after some years of OTR they became overweight and diabetic.

It does take serious discipline when out here to try and maintain a healthy weight. I try to stay away from fried foods. I try to only eat subway and drink lots of water and since its warm out I like to walk around the truck stop parking lots a few times.

I don't have sleep apnea or diabetes but out here it is possible to get just based on the nature of the job.

I wouldn't lie just to get a job though.

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

I am on my way to the Bronx. I will get there sometime before 1am sunday morning and after I leave tell u guys how I did.

Funny because I live in chicago and those streets and traffic are bad too but NY is a different animal. Kinda nervous.

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

Aaron, don't be accepting loads if you don't have the hours to complete it.

This is exactly how you end up on your DM's bad driver list. Bad bad bad

I need to learn to check my hours but usually when I get down to about 14 hours left of my 70, recaps start coming in.

That was the only reason I went ahead and did them this favor but my recaps didn't start until I was down to five hours which I wasn't expecting.

I really have to watch my hours.

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

You are punishing new Yorkers : No mash potato for them lol .... that is so mean lol

😂

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

My bad yall lol. Sorry for the late reply.

No I am still actually at the swift terminal and haven't even headed out yet. I do have the load though. Why? Because I didn't realize my 70 was running REALLY low lol. I have just under 5 hours left. I will be getting back 8 hours tomorrow in recaps but my DM told me that he will try to see if he can have someone else take this load because he isn't sure the receiver will take this load so he has to wait for a message from CSR. If not, I will have to do my 34 and then deliver this load when its done. I am not happy about that at all.

The load was picked up in idaho on may 9th and was suppose to be delivered on the 12th but was rescheduled for the 14th and now looks like it will be late even more. Its nothing but potatoes. Strangely, the BOL says this load is 41500lbs but the person who had it before me got a scale ticket that says this load is 79000 lbs total. In addition to that, the cat scale they provided has weights of:

steer 10960 drives 34080 trailer 33960

Clearly they were 80 over on their drives and yet they drove all the way from Idaho to Ohio like that and didn't bother to get the load reworked or something. It does look like they may of had their fifth wheel all the way back or maybe half way back and they didn't care to move it forward to take weight off the drives. I don't know.

But yeah, just waiting at this terminal for them to tell me what they want me to do. Today is friday of course and I really need a response before 2pm mst because that is when my dm goes home for the night.

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

Damn lol. Thats interesting.

My first run in Bronx New York to jetro

I've been with swift 7 months and I always dreaded the day they would send me a load to NYC. I have never been to nyc before a day in my life.

That day has finally come.

The load isn't due until the 14th since I am currently on another load that goes into ohio first so I have some time to plan this thing out and prepare myself mentally.

Interestingly this is a t called load meaning someone else was suppose to take this load in but couldn't because he had truck issues. Lucky me was chosen to take it. Yay.

The place is jetro cash and carry. Its due at 1am. Thats good since its so early in the morning and hopefully traffic won't be as bad. But its not good because it will be dark and more than likely there will be more cars parked along the roadway even though this place is right off i-278.

Looking up the directions, once I get near the GWB, I go up on the upper level, take that for a bit, exit 4A to 895 south, then turn right on westchester ave, then left on southern blvd, slight left onto hunts point ave, then right onto bruckner blvd, take that till i get to leggett ave, make a left, then, finally make a right on barry street. The place is at the end of the block.

Has anyone been here before? The address is 100 oak point ave, bronx, ny.

Nervous is not the proper word. Terrified is the proper word, but I accepted the load and im gonna take it and do it well. I hope.

Automatic Tractors.

I trained on a 10 speed, but for the last 7 months I've been in an automatic.

Going up and down hills, mountains, snowy weather, this trans has held up beautifully.

Before I got into this I was listening to a lot of truckers who said autos are terrible in snow and hilly conditions. Maybe the last time they drove an auto was in 2002? I don't know. I drive a 2016 freight and this trucks transmission is great. Different manufacturers have different transmissions so that also may play a factor.

The only bad thing I can say is creep mode sucks. It doesn't last and keeps shutting off but I've gotten used to backing without using it.

Not to mention my left knee loves me again.

I prefer a manual in a car or bike. They're faster and more fun anyways.

Worst Day Ever

Wow that was scary. I'm glad you're okay. That's a fear I have too. I'm on the I70 on my way to Pennsylvania too. I'm going to heinz.

Anyone interested in getting a CDL in Indiana, check this out..

Illinois has WIOA. I live in Chicago and went through their program. I passed everything but unfortunately the area Ilived in had no funding available and they had no idea how long it would take to get it.

I started the program in January 2016. By August 2016 the money still hadn't released for my area and I didn't feellike waiting anymore So i signed a 1 year contract with swift that same month.

The money finally released in Novemeber but I already had 2 months experience with swift.

It would have been nice to get my cdl for free but I am almost 7 months in with driving and I am glad I did what I did.

Parking at a truck stop, back in or nose in?

I know this thread is old but I can't resist the temptation to reply hehe.

I've nosed in several times but EVERY time I've nosed in, either the truck in front of me was gone when I woke up so I just easily pulled forward, the surrounding trucks around me and in back was gone so back out was SUPER easy or I was able to nose in in a place to where I can do a straight back out.

Now I try to back in as often as possible. I really need the practice. Been driving swift 6 months now.

Had my first level 2 inspection

Or worse..didn't knownyoi dragged the tires down the road and pulled into a terminal where they said "wth???"

Lol

Oh I have a story to tell 😂😂😂😂😂

Had my first level 2 inspection

Congrats on noticing you had stuck brakes. At least you didn't have to call dispatch and tell them you need 2 new tires cause you dragged them down the road.

Uh actually.....😂😂😂

Had my first level 2 inspection

Daniel B, that I did not know lol.

Had my first level 2 inspection

At least nothing was found but the light! Good example ito always pretrip.

At prime we get paid for passing the inspections and are told to scan the paperwork in with the loads. So who knows you could get a bonus ;)

That would be nice to get a bonus but I'm not sure swift does that.

Had my first level 2 inspection

Aaron if you haven't already, make sure you let your DM know you passed a level 2. It will have a positive affect on your safety score.

Stay safe.

I did. I even scanned in the report they gave me too.

Looks like I'm gonna be a Swiftie!

Welcome to swift. I've been with them almost 6 months now. I do regional now. I was told u can't have microwaves in company trucks but Im not 100% on that. Others might give a more definitive response. I have a small 12v cooler that I use. The newer trucks should have a 110 v outlets installed behind the passenger seat.

Had my first level 2 inspection

Well I had gotten my first inspection done. A level 2 on March 14 out in Quincy, Michigan.

It was a cold morning (12 degrees) around 6am. Still dark of course. First problem I had was a stuck trailer brake but it eventually loosened up itself.

I was already a day late picking up a load from the shipper so I was in a bit of a hurry.

I was 2 blocks from the shipper when I spotted a state trooper sitting at an intersection. He saw me, backed up into a service station (I thought he was giving me a bunch of room so I can turn lol) and sat there.

I made my turn and sure enough he got me.

The road I was on was small so there was no shoulder but I pulled as far over as I could.

He got out the car and asked to open my door. I did and he stepped up and said he pulled me over because I had a burnt out headlight.

I did not do a pre trip that morning but I did do a post trip the night before and the light was working. I'm guessing the cold knocked the light completely out. Whatever the case is ALWAYS DO A PRE AND POST TRIP!

Anyways the cop was cool and I was polite with him and kept a postive attitude (VERY IMPORTANT). He did the level 2 (no citation) and nothing else was wrong with my truck.

After he let me go ( He had me for about 30minutes )I grabbed the load and went to the nearest petro (they had a freightliner dealer there) and I grabbed 2 new bulbs and replaced both of them myself.

Oh and even after being a day late picking up the load, getting a stuck trailer brake and getting pulled over, i still made my appointment with the reciever with 2 hours to spare.

Happy trucking!

Passing the Time

When I can find the time, I usually play a game on my laptop, watch a movie, surf the internet or make music on fl studio. I have books to read and I usually talk to my family almost daily. If I'm not doing that, catching up on some sleep isn't half bad either.