Comments By Tim H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig3.jpg avatar
  • Tim H.
  • Comments:

Local driving job types?

I'm pretty sure after my year OTR I want to find something local. I've found that I'm not as keen on the OTR lifestyle as I thought I would be. Very much enjoy home, fellowship, and some routine. Preferably with no touch freight but that's not a deal breaker. What types of local driving jobs are there? Ideally I'd like to be home at end of every day. Weekends off. No overnights.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Who loves a good steak occasionally on the road?

I was so disappointed by the steak I got at the 49er I didn't dare take the chance. I was just there last week. Maybe next time.

Rearward facing cameras for backup

Technology is a force in its own right. We are merely the instruments to manifest its evolution.

Tried rolling 70

I set my alarm for 23:30 the other night so I could roll at midnight. Alarm goes off and I half grudgingly get up. Sat with a cup of coffee while waiting for my recap. After about 20 minutes the caffeine starts to take effect and I'm ready, let's go, lets roll, been sitting since 10:00, gonna meet a repower at 05:00 170 miles away. So I'm sitting there watching the clock on my qualcomm and midnight hits and nothing happens. Then it hits me, my DOT hours are central time and I'm in eastern time zone. Damn I coulda slept another hour.

Rearward facing cameras for backup

I thought of this and figured cost was probably the reason and also as mentioned our company has thousands of trailers too and they are not treated very nice. I can see an added value as I almost hit a truck on my blindside while backing in at a truckstop. I had too many easy peezy spots lately I guess and forgot how to do it. Thankfully someone stopped me with a honk of the horn. I had just climbed back in from a GOAL and thought I was still good to go. Ended up choosing a different spot and the guy I was pulling in next to was grilling on his cat walk and I asked if he'd help me and he agreed. After I got in the hole I realized with his help where I went wrong on the other hole. I had oversteered to the left swinging too far the other way when I needed to straighten my steers. I can see a camera being beneficial in that scenario but I'd rather not rely on it and get my skills better. Next back after that one though was great. As for a magnetic cam that can be switched from trailer to trailer and take with you no way. I'd forget it at some point. What I have wondered though is why don't trailers have back up lights? And maybe a license plate like light at each curbside corner on the rear pointed down toward the tandems to better illuminate tight turns.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

I shut down and ruined my service record due to fatigue!

If you hadn't said "screw this load" you probably wouldn't be getting so much flack.

Time for Change

What is a Walmart account like? Is it DC to DC? Or stores? Or both?

Rand Mcnally tablets?

I would actually rather find software for a laptop. Like the truckers atlas but for a laptop that could be zoomed in or out. Look up bridge heights, and calculate distances between points that kinda capability. I'm not looking for gps features but atlas features. It's the map part of the tablet I'm interested in mostly. Anything like that?

Rand Mcnally tablets?

Do you need to purchase a plan of some kind or need wifi connection to use them? Interested in maybe adding a tool to assist in trip planning.

Everything Goes Wrong on Weekends

Didn't know that. Thanks. Thought they were the same since we were using it for trucking purposes. Never again then.

Everything Goes Wrong on Weekends

Diesals diesal isn't it?

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Can I take a Harley with me?

I saw what you meant Bill after I already posted. An "oh I get it" moment. I feel the same way about mt biking. After several days waiting for my broken trailer when I was in CA I was going nuts. Found one on craigslist in the area I was in. Called the guy up and he brought it to the truckstop. Strapped it to the back hand rail against my load locks with the front tire removed and put in the side box. My father says "Murphy's law says now you'll never stop rollin' ". Wait I think there's a pun in there.

Everything Goes Wrong on Weekends

I was low on fuel so I stopped at a loves 115 miles shy of my fuel stop to call dispatch for a change in my fuel stop. My card only works for reefer fuel without optistop. 1hr 15min later and no one answered the damn phone so I bought reefer fuel and put 40 gal in my tank and 8 in my reefer then on to Denver. There's another weekend joy! Traffic I-25N to Denver and then trying to find parking at 17:30.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Can I take a Harley with me?

Don't you mean left?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Front trailer axle brakes locking

They say all are adjusted as shoild be. The front axle has new drums and pads. They're gonna put new ones on rear axle and see if this helps. Beginning to think I need to make a change of address to CA. Man am I getting itchy feet. I've read six books this week.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Front trailer axle brakes locking

Anybody have an issue like this before? Trailer is empty and when I apply the brakes for normal stopping pressure such as stop light, slow manuever stops in parking lot etc. the front axle trailer brakes lock up and the trailer bounces. I didn't have any issues until I was empty. Trailer has been in the shop since Sunday. The T/A shop mechanics couldn't find anything. They say all is as should be can't find problem. Brought trailer to trailer shop 5 miles down the road and they can't see why it's behaving the way it is either.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Terminated from CR England

And still after 3 pages nothing from the OP Robin.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Game: Rookie Unrealistic Expectations

I thought I would like the solitude more than I do. I like solitude but enjoy company too.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Cb problems

Your CB handle will be firefly.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago