Profile For Bruce K.

Bruce K.'s Info

Madison, WI

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 6 months ago

Bruce K.'s Bio

I'm a 66 year old (as of 10/18) single male. Retired from a 49 year construction career and getting into driving because I've always been interested in professional driving and seeing the country.

Bruce K.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  8 hours, 20 minutes ago

Taxes

You need to talk to a CPA.

This is absolutely correct. Not a tax prep guy, a CPA. If you don’t, you are doing yourself a disservice. A good CPA will pay for themselves in savings.

Grumpy is absolutely correct. I use a CPA (no H&R Block, no no no) and she saves me much more every year than what she charges me. I wish my ex-wife had done the same.

Posted:  8 hours, 26 minutes ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

He looks way too happy to have just been knocked into. Some heat exhaustion factoring in there?

When I first saw that photo of Turtle I thought I was looking at Brett Farve. We're all Packer fans here, right? (Brett Farve: MVP. "More Vicodin Please")

And heck yes, what was the damage from that Flatbed vs. Flatbed fight???????

Posted:  19 hours, 3 minutes ago

Taxes

And Kelly, if and when you get a CPA, try to get one who has some experience with truckers/trucking. For example, the CPA I use has a lot of clients in the construction business and gives me very good advice in that area.

Posted:  1 day, 3 hours ago

Passenger seat removal

I didn't want to hijack another thread, but I'm puzzled about passenger seat removal. If you gave up your passenger seat, you also give up the opportunity to take a rider (family member) with you. Is that correct? I wanted to take my grandson with me for a few weeks but never qualified for the opportunity. But if I didn't have a passenger seat, it would have been impossible. What are the ramifications/benefits of removing the passenger seat?

Posted:  1 day, 7 hours ago

Taxes

You need to talk to a CPA.

rofl-1.gifundefined

If you are an O/O, maybe you need to talk to a bankruptcy attorney. (Just kidding)

Posted:  1 day, 10 hours ago

Taxes

So, you are an owner/operator?

Posted:  1 day, 10 hours ago

Drivers license suspended for unpaid ticket.

Michael, that's really encouraging to hear. I hope you will keep us posted about your progress. You will get tons of guidance and advice here. I know this from experience.

Posted:  1 day, 10 hours ago

Diagnosed with sleep apnea, but lost weight and quit smoking.

Rick said: "So - while you're still obviously miffed that your OSA/CPAP compliance is one of the main reasons you're off the road - to dismiss the illness as a SCAM, is kind of shortsighted - despite the fact that the trucking companies may in fact see "some financial benefit" in the deal."

Rick, I do know that people have sleep apnea, I don't dispute that. My concern is that the diagnosis is not objective because of the special interests involved. I'd be curious to know if there are any statistics that show the percentage of truck drivers diagnosed with OSA as compared to the general population. It seems to me that Schneider took a "scatter gun" approach to OSA. I would like to know how many Schneider drivers who go in for a sleep study get diagnosed with OSA? I'll bet it's 100% or close to it.

On the other hand, if and when I go back to driving, I would hope my weight loss and better BP would take me out of contention for OSA. If not, I would get another machine and stay in compliance, without hesitation. So, I'm not trying to crusade against OSA. I'm only basing what I think on my own experience. This in no way means any disrespect for your knowledge or opinion.

Posted:  1 day, 11 hours ago

Drivers license suspended for unpaid ticket.

Michael, welcome and thanks for posting your question.

Your situation is a real head scratcher. If you were a crane operator and heavy equipment operator, those are indeed positions that require great responsibility. But yet you let your driver's license get suspended?????????confused.gif

It's kind of mind boggling. Get your license back in good order and then pursue your CDL. I'm going to say that you may have one advantage from your experience. No doubt, based on what you have said, you must be very safety conscious. That won't help you get a job, but when you do get a job you will then get to demonstrate your commitment to driving safely. Good luck with going forward!

Posted:  1 day, 16 hours ago

Working for Decker right out of CDL school

Great to have another "Bruce" on the forum! I've seen many Decker trucks and they all look top notch to me. I think Decker is a solid company and you won't regret working for them.

Just keep in mind that most companies are competing for good, safe drivers. So they all have to maintain a high standard to keep those good drivers. This has increased standards in the entire industry and one of the many reasons driving a truck is a good occupation.

Posted:  1 day, 17 hours ago

FMCSA publishes proposed HOS rule changes

I certainly agree with everyone that the "not able to pause" 14 hour clock rule is one of the dumbest rules ever in the history of dumb.

The new changes are just "proposed changes", correct? When will they go into effect?????

Posted:  1 day, 19 hours ago

CDL School

Cecelia, just relax. You stated that you are getting trained to get your CDL. That means you will have to go on a road test with an examiner. These examiners don't expect you to be perfect with your shifting, especially with down-shifting. You can grind some gears and still pass. When I did my road test, my shifting was perfect on the upshift, but not perfect on the downshift. But I still passed and got my CDL. It really didn't matter because I got an AMT when I went solo. So don't stress out about it.

Posted:  1 day, 20 hours ago

Intermodal in Houston TX

Brett said: ""I like to say that a person who tries to keep one foot on each side of a fence gets their balls ripped off. Get on one side of the fence and focus on being great at one thing.

Brett, I had a good laugh at that comment! So true, no man can serve two masters and be successful with both.

Posted:  2 days, 5 hours ago

What was hardest for you to get used to?

The MOST challenging thing for me was BACKING. Whenever I had a delay, I practiced backing. Set ups, reference points. And I got pretty confident at it because: I practiced in low pressure situations. Meaning: Nobody watching. Worked wonders for me.

Posted:  2 days, 6 hours ago

Youtube videos

Rob T. I fully appreciate all the time you guys take to respond and i know you are passionate and very helpful . That topic went way off base. I was thinking more about fundamentals rather then skills. Like I've said before im a truck loader not a truck driver just trying to learn. Years back the union( yes I'm a Teamsters know alot of you dont like that, but its where i work) was going to offer CDL training but it never happened. So im looking to get educated.

Joe S : I recently posted a comment about my difficulties of backing a lawn tractor with a garden trailer behind. LOL I could back my tractor and trailer much more accurately. But that was a completely different level of responsibility. Like all the experienced drivers have said, it takes time and practice to be good at backing. The key is to not get discouraged and to become adept at learning your reference points and turning points. It takes most drivers at least a year to get really good.

Posted:  2 days, 6 hours ago

Truck Inspections

G-Town and Old School, I totally agree with you guys. The responsibility is on the driver to inspect the entire rig and inform the company of any defects. There were several times I had trailer defects that I reported to the company and then I was assigned to another trailer. (both times a flat trailer tire ) I was just saying that this was rare because Schneider always responded to the DVIR, if there was a problem they would get it fixed. I think most companies rely on their drivers to report defects, and then they arrange to get them fixed. My point is that the trucking industry in general is very concerned about vehicle maintenance, and doesn't want to have a DOT impoundment of their equipment. I'm sorry if I misspoke.

Posted:  2 days, 13 hours ago

Truck Inspections

Jason, my experience is limited, but I never feared an inspection when I drove for Schneider because their preventative maintenance program was so good. I think all the major carries have similar policies. There will always be a few trucks and trailers out there that won't pass an inspection, but I think the big majority would pass.

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Pass My Annual Review With Schneider

I'm sorry Bruce, it does look like he's describing a road test. sorry.gif

Old School, no problem at all. I really respect Jamie for his one year milestone. I never made mine, although I would have been excited to attain it if circumstances were different. In fact, I know that if I'd gotten that far, I would have been proud to go on a road test with an instructor and show off my skills. (And very embarrassed if I made any mistakes).

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Medical card - Lesson learned

Try natural sweeteners from the stevia plant. I use Truvia sweetener for coffee. Tastes just like sugar and all-natural, zero calories.

PackRat is right about Stevia. I buy Stevia from the health food store in one pound containers. I think the brand is NOW I am still unpacking from my recent move, but will post better info when I find my Stevia. Stevia is 300 times sweeter than sugar, but the body does not metabolize Stevia like sugar. From my understanding, pure Stevia can be used by diabetics safely. I never use sugar; it's like poison. If you use Stevia, at first it tastes like artificial sweetener, but you will soon become accustomed to it. Because Stevia is so much more sweeter than sugar, you only need to use a tiny bit of it to sweeten your coffee or tea. If you like tea, buy unsweetened tea and add a little Stevia. Thanks to Mr. PackRat for bringing this up. Stevia is a hidden gem to those who want to break the sugar addiction.

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Youtube videos

Learning to drive/back a tractor trailer through YouTube videos is like my grandson telling me he could win the Indy 500 because he's so good at the video game.