Profile For Bruce K.

Bruce K.'s Info

Madison, WI

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 8 months ago

Bruce K.'s Bio

I'm a 66 year old (as of 10/18) single male. Retired from a 49 year construction career and getting into driving because I've always been interested in professional driving and seeing the country.

Bruce K.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

You think you have it bad, here's a story about China's OTR drivers

Errol, I read the article and it was a interesting piece. The HOS regulations here are a real contrast to what the China regulations are. I guess we should count our blessings, but I believe the 14 hour rule could use a makeover.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

The Big Dog

Thanks for the input from you guys. I'm facing a dilemma about my dog. I'd like to resume driving this winter, but it's not feasible or humane to leave my dog behind in some sort of foster care. But I know it's very hard to take a big dog on the road. I've seen many drivers with dogs, but they are always small dogs so I get the picture.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

The Big Dog

Hey Bruce K

How many pounds of dog food do you buy? 25, 50 or 75 pound bag? The next time you buy one of the big bags, bring it in the truck with you. The carrying that bag, turn a complete 360 between the seats. Then ask yourself about that big an a final would be comfortable for the both of you. Not trying to be a jerk, just being practical. He is a magnificent looking dog. I'm a animal lover and I think all the time of bringing an animal with me . But I prefer big dogs and with the limited space it's not practical. Cause remember you have food and water to store besides having a 100 lbs which would take up most of your trucks floor space. IMHO.

Good luck Bruce

Raptor

Robert, good advice. I know bringing a 100 pound dog on the truck is not very practical. Plus you make a good point about dog food. I buy it in 50 pound bags, so between the dog and the food and the food and water pans, that's a lot of space taken up in the cab. And him using the top bunk is not an option, Lol.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Hit the Driver Appreciation cookout Trifecta.

I think I may of perhaps beaten your record. I delivered into Bolingbrook, IL, attended the account cookout, was told by my safety director that I needed to get new tires, so went to the shop and attended the cookout at Channahon, IL while they replaced 9 out of 10 tractor tires. Went up to the Chicago terminal (cookout) to look for a trailer. Failing to find one, I went back to Bolingbrook to try another DC (Cookout) and not finding one there either, I drove up to Aurora, IL and attended a cookout and found an empty!

Obviously, the "empty" you found was not your stomach. Lol.

I think some tech wiz needs to create an app that shows drivers where free food is being served.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

The Big Dog

I have a big dog. Just over 100 lbs. Do any companies allow a driver to take a dog that big with them? I have the ability to build a ramp for him to get in and out on. I would need a ramp because I wouldn't be able to lift him up into the cab. I know he would love the lifestyle because he loves riding in vehicles. But I wonder how practical it would be. Has anybody here taken a dog that big out on the road? And no, I'm not interested in becoming an O/O or L/O just to take my dog.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Thinking About Leaving Schneider

This dedicated account has me doing flatbed work, but the type of loads/orders we haul aren't very secured since these stores don't do a great job doing it, and I don't want to mess around and have something fall off my truck, or worse onto a car or something. So I wasn't interested in doing this long term.

You, as the driver, are responsible for securing your load. If you can't control the securement, or if you don't know how to do securement properly, then what will be different with another company????? Besides, wouldn't you have to take a pay cut after you doubled your pay with Schneider?

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Irritating weekend.

Bummer. What company do you drive for? Sounds like a perfect storm of mistakes. Was it all screwed up by your dispatch?

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Safety Concerns

There's nothing like having a great foundation under you. Of course you know that already, being that you are working in construction right now.

rofl-3.gif

Bruce you got competition!

Rob, haha. Competition is not my problem. My biggest issue is finding people to work. Subcontractors are so backed up that it really slows up the construction process for us small independent construction guys.

Just to relate that to trucking, there is soooooo much road/highway construction going on, the big road contractors are gobbling up workers and still looking for more workers. There's always laid off workers in the winter, but that doesn't help me now. However, it was a big thrill to get a flatbed delivery to the job site last week from a supplier on a direct ship arranged by the lumber company. The truck was a day cab, but it was fun to chat with the driver. And to all you flatbedders out there, we dropped everything we were doing and got him unloaded promptly. We got good service, he got good service. He was only stopped for 45 minutes, including our conversation.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

D is for Diesel

The company I drove for always had my fuel stops pre-planned. Maybe all companies don't do this. Only a couple of times did I have to find an alternative place to fuel.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Hit the Driver Appreciation cookout Trifecta.

I once got a free Whopper because the Whopper I ordered came with all the condiments but no hamburger. How is it possible to forget the hamburger?????? Other than that, free food is hard to come by for me unless I go dumpster diving.

Posted:  1 month ago

Driving for Prime

Omgosh thank you for sharing Donna!!! I can relate with so much of what you said. I just need to get the confidence in myself that I can do it. I've also read about a few horror stories regarding bad situations with trainers which is another concern of mine if we're going to be spending alot of time together... can you tell me what your experience was like. Do I get any input of who I get?

I think most companies will let you request a non-smoking trainer. Maybe even a female trainer for road training after CDL training. Trainers are carefully selected by companies, in my opinion. No company wants legal trouble because of a trainer who misbehaves with the student.

It sounds to me that you are really struggling with this idea of becoming a driver. Sitting on the fence, fretting over which side to go to, will get you nowhere. Nobody here knows you well enough to advise you what to do. You need to get sound advice from someone who knows you and your circumstances and abilities. Have you consulted with any experienced drivers? It would be to your benefit to really do your due diligence before committing to a career in trucking.

Posted:  1 month ago

Well crap, got a ticket.

Don, what a bummer. If I were you, I'd fight that citation. Sounds like you got caught in something similar to a local "speed trap". What was the cop's name? Barney Fife?

Posted:  1 month ago

Missing OTR

I remember you saying you would make double your pay going to flatbed dedicated. So, are you going to cut your income in half by going OTR again?

Posted:  1 month ago

Southern Dad Joins the Fray

Southern Dad, you are a nice addition to the forum. I like your style. Yeah, truck driving will be a good fit for you.

Posted:  1 month ago

Now they're talking about "smart" trailers

I think it would he handy to have rear facing cameras to monitor while backing, but my fear is that drivers would then not do GOAL's. Cameras or not, doing the GOAL's is imperative.

Technology is good, but it will never replace the good old human brain if that brain has common sense.

Posted:  1 month ago

Marc, One week into training?

Tell us about your first week.

Posted:  1 month ago

Hello, two new members here

Hello Greg and Sara! You have come to the right place. Personally, I have benefited immensely by being on this forum. You will find sound guidance and advice here. All the experienced drivers will give you trustworthy info.

Posted:  1 month ago

Can anyone tell me if the Knob you add to the Steering Wheel is illegal

I agree with Susan and PackRat, totally unnecessary. I never even thought about that because "why"??????????

Posted:  1 month ago

Jake Brake?

Yes using the Jake in wet and slick conditions increases the chance of a jackknife. Think about what a jackknife is: the trailer is moving faster than the tractor and basically pushes the truck out of the way.

What does the Jake do? It slows the truck from the tractor back using the engine against itself. Thus slowing the tractor first and creating a situation where the trailer is going faster than the tractor. Wet conditions make it much more likely to break traction and end up jacking.

Using the service brakes to descend a grade is fairly simple. First make sure you are in the proper gear for the safe speed of decent. When you reach that speed brake until you are 5 to 10 mph below it and then let off the brakes. Rinse and repeat until you get to the bottom.

Remember prior to the late 50s trucks didn't have Jake's, but still had mountains.

Big T, that is really great info. Especially the comment on what causes a jackknife . I learned from that, thank you.

Posted:  1 month ago

Question of which job I should take!?

$175 per day and no benefits?????? McDonalds is looking like a better career opportunity for you, especially if you can make it up to assistant manager.