Comments By Kori M.

https://s61.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fh62%2FKorilee21%2FIMG_1550_zpsuvtaxzhe.jpg avatar
  • Kori M.
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Yes I still got paid for those days and got reimbursed my hotel and uber fees as well.

Do you get paid for the days when you're in the the hotel when your truck is broke down?

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

My CDL Training Diary With Prime Inc

Woooo have fun! Hopefully you find someone else on there headed here it helps the time go by. I'm here right now heading out in a couple hours to finish this load. Will be back in about a week and a half to upgrade.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

My CDL Training Diary With Prime Inc

That's actually a great thing to do. That was a hard part for me getting used to reading all the signs. I wasn't used to it. So that's wonderful that you are doing that to get used to it. And that awesome you get to prime so early on Sunday. That extra time will come in clutch the first day. It's a long one and everyone is exhausted from the trip.

I know it doesn't sound like much but I'm conditioning myself to read every sign I see, even while in my car, and today I drove over a railroad track that I've driven over countless times before and for the first time I saw the "exempt" sign , and I knew what it meant.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

No not everyone has to do it. They go off of a few things. BMI, neck size and breathing issues. When you got get your physical the first day of orientation they will tell you if you need a sleep study or not.

Does everyone have to have a sleep study? I do snore, and are a bit overweight but I calculated my bmi at 31 222LBS at 5-11. I read somewhere their threshold is a BMI of 39. I am virtually certain I do not have apnea. I am a very sound sleeper and are always well rested when I wake up.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

They wouldn't let me leave on TNT until I got it done. That sucked too lol. I don't have it but still have to pay for the test. At least I know I don't have it now.

Yea waiting six. I lost a week when I had the sleep study, but it prevented me from losing a second week. (I did it while my trainer was on hometime.) I'm at about 12-13k right now almost halfway there.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Ok after 5 days in a hotel the truck should be ready today! The hotel was nice the first night then it was just boring and frustrating. I'm so close to finishing my miles for TNT and this put me a week behind. It was the SCR sensor I guess. So hopefully they call soon so we can hit the road again. I'm ready to bang out these last 10,000 miles.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Ok another update. My trainer returned to the truck after seeing her family around 1100 today. I go to pull out of the truck stop.... no power. 1000 RPMs in 2nd gear fully accelerated... then it shifted (it's an automatic) to 3rd gear dropped to 700. Wouldn't go faster than 5mph. So parked it again. We had more power in reverse than drive. Contacted road assist. Said that we had to get repowered and then after we got repowered they would send a tow truck to take us to the shop. They said it sounds like we are "derating" something to do with the DEF system I guess. Shop closed Saturday and Sunday so we are stuck here for the weekend in Phoenix AZ. It's 106 degrees... so hot! Too hot! Lol so I get to experience my first tow!! Sucks for my miles this weeks but I will welcome this little break In a hotel with open arms!

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Sorry guys! I know it's been a while. It's been so busy out here and once I'm done driving I tend to just want to pass out. Currently I am in Phoenix heading out tomorrow morning to Ontario. Once this load is done I will only need about 9,000 miles to complete my training period. Can't wait for my own truck. And I'm even more excited to have my dog with me. Last week I was able to see my sisters, my dad, nieces and newphews for a couple hours while I was in CA. And they brought my dog I was so so excited! It was sad to only get a couple of hours with them and then have to leave again but it was very nice to get to see them. Everything is going pretty well. I'm learning a lot! Every day seems like something new happens. I did get to drive through the snow for the first time in Wyoming last week.... so crazy! Now I'm in Arizona in 100 degree weather. So hot! I still can't believe I've been all over this country already! Nervous to see it on my own, but extremely excited as well. But anyways I'm still out here rolling! I'll try to be better about keeping you all posted before I fall asleep!

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

I'm heading to prime

I'm in the TNT phase of training where you team with your trainer for 30,000 miles before you get your own truck. I love it so far. I'm about 10,000 miles away from my own truck. The training I have recieved has been wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone. Orientation week goes by super fast so be ready. But everyone was very helpful and knowledgeable.

I am looking for a school about 20 people say go to Prime. How was it for you honestly?

How are things going lisa? I'm headed to prime next month. Interested in hearing about your experiences.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Haha you probably did! I was in PA for 2 days. Yay for 10,000 1/3 down! I had to do the sleep test too. It sucked lol. But I don't have it so I guess it's good to know. After we drop this load in Las Vegas and CA I will be at 14,289 getting closer! This load is going to be a little more than an hour from my house. I think my family is going to try to stop by for a few and being my dog. I miss him terribly! Almost half way done then I can grab him up once I get my own truck.

I'm about 10k into TNT, I have probably passed you three times in the last few days. I have crossed PA so much. I have to hit Sprimo soon for the sleep test.

My CDL Training Diary With Prime Inc

If nothing else take the 30 days to some what prepare yourself for oh so joyous greyhound ride haha. No amount of studying helped me through that journey. It was however motivation to make sure I was going back home in my own truck and not stepping foot on another greyhound ever again. Good luck with everything! Looks like you will keep us updated. Looking forward to reading all about your prime journey.

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

It was a very busy week!! This week doesn't look like we will get that many. Running a little low on hours now. We've done 3 repowered so far for Only about 1000 miles. Thor load That was going to put us at 6500 we had to give to someone else because we had to repower is load and he didn't get the trip scanned in soon enough to be on this check so it was only 5700 instead of the 6700 it would've been we have it to him with about 150 miles left so that's why I was calculating around 6500. It would've been nice but I still got good miles last week with 5700 and those miles will end up helping this weeks miles so it's all going to the same pot anyways so it's all good! Still here in PA this time on the eastern side waiting to get unloaded. Then it's time for some much needed sleep!

Awesome! All I can say is damn, that's a good week. I can't wait to hit the road soon again. If my TNT phase here at Jim Palmer can go like that with 6500 I should be done in a month or a little less.

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Yes TNT takes a while to get used to. It was so hard to fall asleep when we first started I wasn't used to sleeping while it's moving. Now I'm just so tired after my shift I fall right to sleep lol. We are in PA right now. We repowered a load for a solo driver and we are about to repower another load once we are done getting unloaded. We killed it this week though. We will have over 6500 miles on this pay check. Pretty excited! Getting closer and closer to my own truck! Hope all is going well with you!

I'm still with ya. Dreading the whole TNT thing but I know in the end there is a HOLY GRAIL. I'm driving a manual which I've never done till I got to Prime and when I'm on city streets my anxiety is at a high but I'm still in it to win it. Very sleep deprived on these leftover winter roads from hell. I was at home for a week and realized how much I'm needed there so my goal is to eventually land a job with more home time. When I'm done TNT and upgrade to a phat ride, my girlfriend should be coming along. I hope she can handle this. I'm mostly doing this for her. Wishing you the best. Safe travels. We'll be done quicker than we know it.

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Yes it's a great company. You won't find a company sponsored program that pays more cpm. Starting out once I'm on my own truck for the reefer division you start out at 41cpm for a full size truck if you get a lightweight truck you get an extra 5 cpm. As far as the miles I can't really answer that because I'm not on my own yet. I'm still in training and we are running as a team for this phase so we are rolling like crazy. I will Get over 5,000 miles this week. But my trainers miles count towards that as well. But you will get miles, they don't make money if you aren't under a load so they want to keep you moving.

Kori, Once again Congrats on passing your exam trifecta. I am extremely happy for you and all of your accomplishments! I have a question for you because Prime is one of my options for obtaining my cdl because I've heard from almost everyone how good they are about training. I've also heard starting out you shouldn't worry about the pay and just the experience you gain. But I would like to know what can a new driver expect working at prime. I hear they have one of the best starting cpm rate for a company sponsored training program do you agree? how many miles do you average a week? Please let me know if you can thank you and salute!

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

I will stay with reefer I think. And I like OTR for now at least hahaha. I'm getting to see all over the place. I will say it was very nice being in CA again. I think once I'm OTR for a couple years I will think about going regional or something in the west. Really I'm up for anything right now. I just want to learn as much as possible out here.

Kori, I love hearing about your accomplishments. So, looking ahead, what kind of truck would you like to do? Do you have a region you'd like to focus on or try to hit all over the place?

4/10/2017

Got my second load done! We went from PA and had to dead head to MI and drop off in CA only 2 hours from my home! It feels so nice to be on road I actually know. Not just looking for mile markers and exit signs I know where I am haha. The other night I drove 599 miles in my shift! Let's just say I slept a very well that night haha. And I got some pretty high winds in wyomming thankfully we got through before they shut down I-80 to trucks. One of my friends from orientation I keep in contact with him and his trainer often his trainer called me yesterday and said they got shut down right before elk mountain so I'm glad we got through it already. Last night I did donner pass and my trainer said she was going to stay up until I was out of it but shortly after we began she said "ok you got this I'm going to bed" so yay!!! I've driven that road a bunch of times in a car. I had no idea that one day o would be on a big rig driving that mountain. So cool! Well we are over here near the Bay Area in CA getting unloaded and our next pick up is tonight in Santa Rosa headed to Illinois. Getting those miles in folks! I keep you updated when I can. Stay safe out there.

4/7/2017

First load is almost under my belt! We are here in Harmony PA, snowy, windy and cold lol. I did 490 miles before my trainer had me stop, I still had an hour left on my clock but she wanted to stop for showers while we could still find a spot to park. I drove in some pretty heavy rain and wind but muntrainer was snoring away in the back the whole time so I think I did alright. I now have 819 miles completed towards my 30,000 miles. Woooo! Still waiting on the next load assignment we are both hoping for something warmer haha.

I will say it was way different driving somewhat alone. Since she was sleeping in the back I felt like I was by myself. It got boring at times but I really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to make it out here.

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Yes!! Sorry ladies and gents! There hasn't been anything exciting to post on here just yet. I've been waiting around to get my sleep study done so I haven't hit the road yet. I got the all clear today, no sleep apnea thank goodness. So hopefully I'm heading out tomorrow. My trainer said if it's ok with me she would rather not take any hometime so I can get into my own truck faster. As much as I miss my family and my dog I agreed I'd much rather be in my own truck when I go see them. Ready to get this show on the road! Oh khbtrainer surprised me with a brand new blueparrot headset today for my trifecta present. Super excited about that! They are expensive so I was going to have to wait a few weeks before I got a set so I am very thankful! But other than that no news to report just yet. Soon though!

Knock, knock......You still there??

I want my CDL but feel intimidated by the horror tales

I'm thinking your fianc├ęs stepdad does flatbed. Which does require tie downs and things like that. But there are many divisions you can get into. I am currently going through training at prime inc for their reefer division (refrigerated) we do not load the product into the trailer so you wouldn't have to worry about anything like that. They also have simulators to train on to teach you how to shift before you get in that big ol truck. My trainer is female and has been driver for 11 years she doesn't really have any horror stories either. So as far as horror stories I can't really help with those since I don't have any. But loading and unloading, it all depends which division you go into. And what company you are working for. There is a lot of information in this site about lots of company's and their training processes. So you've found the right site to get some answers.

Prime inc Springfield CDL training 3/6/2017 female student

Thank you!! It's definitely an amazing feeling. I still can't believe I'm CDL holder now! So crazy! Next step my own truck! How is life on the road with your own show?

Kori, that is just so freakin awesome! We've watched you progress up to this point, and it's incredibly exciting to see your success!

Congratulations driver!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif