Profile For Jaybird

Jaybird's Info

scranton, PA

Rookie Solo Driver

5 years, 3 months ago

Jaybird's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

My Day is Shot

So chef... do you catch any hell for going out of route from Jill? And is it ok if you go out of route and the route you take has tolls? Thanks!

First month update

Well...one full month as a solo driver. Some of you may have read my previous post how I was otr for two weeks and decided that wasn't for me. This last week I drove on my new dedicated route and is a much better fit! I start on Monday mornings at about 0200 and get done on Fridays about 1300.

Also, I am so much more comfortable out there! My first two weeks I was a nervous wreck . My shifting has improved emensly. Because my shifting has improved so has all the other aspects of it. Like recognising my space needed to make turns and backing, also reading and understanding my navigation system has improved as well. Using and understanding my qualcomm is becoming second nature.

I am really starting to enjoy this new career. If your new and having trouble keep plugging away and don't quit! It gets easier! Thanks! Jaybird

My Day is Shot

Hey chef and unholy, this may be the wrong thread to do this but not sure how to do private messages. Couple questions about schneider. I been solo driving with them for three weeks.

was wondering if its ok to go my own way at times instead of following there nav? The other day they took me right through richmond va and near dc. I wanted to take 64 to 81 but it seemed way out of the way but my gut told me it would be a way better route. Sure enough I ended up sitting in traffic for about three hrs!!

Also if I take a different route and it has tolls how does that work? I know my ezzy pass will work but will they be upset with the tolls?

Thanks guys! Jaybird

Posted:  5 years ago

Schneider, so far so awesome

Some of you may have read my post earlier about how i did two whole weeks of otr and was done. Well...my truck needed a pm and while i was there they talked to me about it. I told them my reasons why i wanted to switch and they were totally understanding! They went over some options of where i could get home on weekends. I was having trouble choosing so they said "We'll just put you on each one for a week and you can see which one fits best for you. I thought that was really cool of them. I know they don't want to lose me after investing all that time in me but they could have handled it like jerks and they didn't. I'll keep ya updated!

Quitting otr

Also, when they say weekends, that means home on the weekend for a day and a half. Say home on fri night back out sunday afternoon. Be nice if they gave ya the whole weekend.

Quitting otr

I'll keep ya updated bud, i have a feeling this may happen a lot. They probably have more people that just quit before trying anything else. They were more then happy to move me. In fact they went over several options, no local just different accounts that would get me home weekly. Hoping to go local after a year, just wanted to get experience first.

Quitting otr

Thanks old school, it started to hit me when i was out with my trainer. He is a regional driver and has been doing it for 20 years and has a stay at home wife. I was asking him about the historic snow storm we had in march. He always leaves out on a mon afternoon and the storm was hitting that night. He said he left as usual and left his wife to deal with the storm. He was saying how he bought her a snowblower 20 years ago to deal with the snow lol. He said he talked to her while it was going on and she said she just couldnt keep up with it. He was idling at a truck stop for a day and a half while she was battling the storm. It broke my heart while he was tottally fine with it. He was 50 so im not sure how old his wife is. But hey...it works for them and there relationship so im not gonna knock it. For me i wanna be there for my women, not just financially but mentally physically and spiritually. Newbies think about, and do alot of research here. Like i said this is a good gig, your on your own doing your thing with no one breathing down your back. Like every job it has good and bad. This is definitely a job to be proud of!! And a skill!

Quitting otr

Well its been two whole weeks and have decided otr ain't for me. Honestly I like the life style, living in the truck doing my thing.what I wasn't ready for is the guilt I feel leaving my wife to take care of everything around the house. Before I came home, she said to me " I didn't get a chance to cut the yard i just been to busy" it are me up. My wife is a teacher and works her ass off, then I'm gonna leave and ask her to do everything to run the house? I knew what otr was when I signed up but I guess it got real the first time I came home and she had a list for me and she seemed overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done around the house. Luckily I work for Schneider and they have np letting me go regional. I'll be home on weekends know to lend a hand around here. I wanted to come here and let everyone know where I was at. I am enjoying this new adventure otherwise!!

Question about Freightliners

I also had to spend the night in Kearny, not the nicest place. But I was glad I had a place to park, only had 20 min left!

Question about Freightliners

Got a 10 speed, was hoping for Auto :(

Question about Freightliners

Hey chef! Things are going ok, theres a problem wit my truck that cant seem to get right. My on guard messes up and then alot of my gages malfunction, including my speed gage! Gonna see if i can switch out trucks today. Othereise its been pretty good, they did send mr to clifton nj which wad a nightmate! But i managed to not hit anything :). Im figure it out slowly but surely.

Question about Freightliners

Hey chef, how did it work out for ya? Just started with Schneider and finished up my first week. I can tell some hot night are on the way and am a bit worried about it. Thanks!

Posted:  5 years ago

Frickin war zone out there!!

Well... It's been 4 days out there and I gotta say this stuff is tuff! Cruzin on down the highway is the easy part but when I get off at those ramps... It's on! Had to go onto Clifton nj today and was freckin out! I can't believe I didn't hit anything! Or get shot because I was goin so slow! Between all the computer stuff and the loads I barley have time to poop!! Also I have a fault in my truck that makes my speed gauge not work ! (Going to oc to get fixed) I'm a rookie I still need that to know when to shift! All kidding aside I knew it would be hard as hell at first and would get easier with time. Even tho it's been crazy I am enjoying it! I keep ya updated and am sure I'll need your help! Thanks

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Schneider first week orientation

Hey Jaybird i congrats on finishing your first week of orientation! I see from another post that you have the same TE I had just two weeks ago. Mark is very informative but a quiet fellow enjoy your time. Ask questions as well. Stay safe.

Thanks bud! yeah, I could tell on the phone he was the quiet type. I will for sure be asking a ton of questions!

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Officially in the drivers seat

I'm meeting my te mon at the tunkannuk yard at noon. His name is Mark Nett I believe. He has over a million miles. Talked to him last night and seems like a nice guy. I'm pumped!

What are you running? otr, regional, dedicated ?

I'm going otr. I wanna do that for a year and see where I stand after that. Thats the plan anyway. :)

Where are you headed for your week for your TE? And do you know who it is yet?

I'm at carlisle as well, we probably bumped into each other there, :)

Congrats bud! I just finished my first week at orientation and will be heading out with my te on mon!

Thats awesome congrats, I just left Carlilse OC with my truck today. Which OC did you go to?

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Officially in the drivers seat

I'm at carlisle as well, we probably bumped into each other there, :)

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Schneider first week orientation

this site has helped me alot so I thought i'd do my part and talk about my first week at schneider. I picked schneider for many reasons, one reason was because of all the good things i have heard about there training program. After there first week they have not disappointed me. They are very professional and organized, everything they do has a reason for what there doing. I have learned more in a week there then I did during cdl school. There very good at explaining things and then showing you how to do it , then they will explain it again. All the instuctors were professional and patient.

I'll be going out with my te for the next week and report back! any questions feel free to ask! Thanks

Posted:  5 years, 1 month ago

Officially in the drivers seat

Regional or otr, decisions decisions

I believe I'm going to go with schneider. When they invited me to oreintation I was very excited. I'm going to go with my initial reaction.

I also like that there a big company and you can move around there. If and when I'm ready for flatbed its good to know maverick will give me a shot!

Regional or otr, decisions decisions

My god! after I wrote my last reply maverick called and invited me to oreintation as well!