Profile For Eric G.

Eric G.'s Info

Austin, TX

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 9 months ago

Eric G.'s Bio

Former video game industry professional. Now I'm looking to travel in a truck across this great land back and forth, delivering whichever load they need me to. My family has been in the industry my whole life, but I chose to follow a passion, now I'm following another. Back in the 60s-very early 90s my grandfather ran CCMX (Chicago and Coastal Motor Express) he headquartered in Salinas, CA Cleveland, OH and Gaffney, SC. at most he had over 100 trucks. then in the early 90s he and my grandmother started G and G trucking and went out on their own. My dad has been a driver all his life for as long as I have known him. my mom and grandmother worked in the office as dispatchers and running the books for the company.

Eric G.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 year ago

Unsafe backing and Leaving truck and load at Terminal

So I may not be a crowd favorite for the decisions I have made in the past with my career, and some I may make in the future. But I have been in this situation sort of (only my FM never told me to deliver no matter what). I delivered to a brand new facility in NE once building had been open for maybe 2 weeks, no images on google nothing for me to go off of. same sort of set up like the guy had here 3 or 4 docks mostly ok to get into the last one though right on the edge of a 10 foot drop off. probably looked worse than it did, what made it difficult was there was still a huge construction dumpster right in front of the spot so I could not get straight in front of the spot I had to do the blindside back. and it had been raining for the last day so the ground around the place was soaked and I was hoping I didn't get stuck. it took me some time I did about 100 G.O.A.L.s and got in there. My point being that every situation is adaptable, you just have to slow down, think it through logically, and if it means go slow then go slow.

Secondly I was making a run back to SLC one time for two drops in one day. well I made a huge mistake stopped for coffee and a snacks ad to wake up I was doing one of those drive through the night runs. and I locked my keys in the truck. so 3 hours off later I'm back in the truck, and I lost those three hours so I could not make the second delivery. I think I might have been able to if it was a 8/2 split. but I cant remember. told my FM he was not happy wanted to know why I told him I made a bonehead mistake. and he told me just to bring it in. they repowered the load.

I tell you all of this to make this point. I was an ok driver. Nothing great I had to have a handful of delivery dates adjusted, some for maintenance, some for weather, or other things outside of my control like when Breyers entire company had their network go down and could not print out any BOL. so every truck was stuck for about 15 hours. they wouldn't even put us in the doors until they could confirm the system was going to come back up. But I always owned up to my bad decisions. None of them ever came back to bite me in the butt, I may have been getting less miles, who knows, but they never held it over my head or talked to me in a combative way. Just like with shippers and receivers treat your dispatch with the golden rule. Everyone has a bad day maybe that was his/hers.

Posted:  1 year ago

Expert Advice

First I’d like to say thank you for the responses. My intent is never to upset anyone.

I know now (hindsight being 20/20) that me leaving was a bad decision. I made an emotional decision to leave Prime a year ago. I also am not 100% decided in the lease thing. I have been monitoring freight rates, for the past 2-3 months for various mile lengths, and taking the average to get an idea.

I know I will have to go back hay in hand. And I am prepared to make a deal to make my previous contract right. I’m hoping since I didn’t leave to just run off to another driving job that will carry some weight.

I have kept my CDL active. I need to swap it over to Texas but that’s it.

I definitely know I’m not the best driver, and have a million things more to learn. Unfortunately I have always been one to learn through making a mistake first. And leaving was my mistake. I was doing well at least that’s what it looked like on my W2 I was on track to make around 55k the first full 12 months solo. If I recall that’s net not gross. ( I ran the numbers a few months back)

I’m just rambling on here. I again want to say thank you, and I appreciate the advice.

Posted:  1 year ago

Expert Advice

So about 2 years a go I started with Prime, and completed their CDL training, went on the road solo for about 6 more months. I had an opportunity to get back into the line of work I was coming from. It would allow me to be home every night, and offered to me what I thought was a better life. However 12 months later i'm itching to get back out on the road. but this time I want to go lease, and eventually start my own company. I left Prime in good standing, I put in a two weeks notice, and completed the driving for two weeks that they needed for me to do.

My question here though is. I was sent a piece of mail a few months back looking for the re-imbursement for their training, and I can say I have not done anything with it at the moment. I don't know anyone that has $5k handy to just a pay a bill. Do you think that Prime would allow me to come back? would I need to pay the training money back first? etc. im not sure if anyone has been through this.

Posted:  1 year ago

Prime CDL training

Yes, Students in Salt Lake City will need to have their permit before they start orientation. You will do 4-5 days of orientation, mostly waiting for your drug screening to return. but you do have some videos and paperwork to do, plus they will want their approved doctors to do their med exam for a med card.

you may be there more than 7 days before you start training, all depends on how many students in class, and how many trainers they can line up.

most averaged 10-12 days for the CDL training, then about a day or two at the terminal to actually practice the test. then you will be out for TnT for about 8-10 weeks, all depends on your trainer, if they take home time in the middle of your training, and if they feel your ready to go out on your own.

13'6" Bridges

Two things here. One I was told in training the marked pass means that’s the highest a vehicle can be to safely clear the overhang.

Two, this was from my grandfather years ago so it may not be true today. The signs posted state a safe height, but that’s not the true height. I can’t remember exactly but I think it’s something 4-6 more inches of clearance over the posted height. This also could just be a northeast thing as we were in Connecticut and New York when he was teaching me this.

Reefer help newbie

In my very limited experience only some of the customers actually check your reefer temp when you arrive.

Unless the product is leaking, or grossly not held near the temp, then I think your fine.

Again I have very limited experience, and have never had an issue with my temps... knock on wood.

I did have an issue with a load before I ever left the shipper once. I was told the temp on the digital screen is not always the temp if the product in the box. Fir example this load I picked up was supposed to be 20 degrees I think a meat load. The trailer ran out of fuel before I could pick it up. It then had issues getting started once they added fuel. It say fir about 5-6 hours before it got trans loaded to another trailer. (Maybe longer, I’ve tried to forget this load) the digital screen read it was in the 50s, but when checked the product was still frozen solid. Has to do something with all that product at one temp, even if the box starts to heat up it would take a lot of time or a really high heat to change the products temp real quick.

Reefer help newbie

At Prime we get a temp for the load on each assignment. Once we get the bills we check the temp on that. During our load call and Qualcomm message we indicate the temp on the bills. Usually the temp will be updated in our system to match the bills.

My trainer always told me to keep it set to what Prime tells us, until you get a message about it changing.

My opinion, always go by the bills. The sales person or dispatcher, may not be aware of any changes in the transportation of what your hauling. The company loading the product knows how to keep it fresh fir the transportation.

Amazed he got as far as he did without being stopped!

The drivers unidentified company.... lol. I think it's right there on the side of the trailer.

Prime tanker looking to do team

I believe Prim does 54 cents per mile teaming and the team decides the split. They do miles as a team. If not specified I think prime splits it 50/50.

Fir example as a team we run 6800 miles in one week. Tat would be 6800 mikes at 27 cents a mile per person plus any bonuses.

Not really sure if this is the way it's done, or if it equals more money.

Being Proactive

I'll admit I only read some of the posts on this thread so if I repeat anything, sorry.

My two cents is you would have been fine either way you did it. In my experience the truck stops start opening spots around 2/3 am. Those drivers who like to be fine by dinner time.

However getting in early and out early is always a good move. So in this situation I see no wrong way to go here.

Hurricane Irma

Same goes fir Georgia and the Carolinas. Supplies are already running out.

Coming up on a yr and thinkin local

I've been thinking once my year is up doing the same thing. I think if I was in my 20s or married I would not mind the OTR lifestyle so much. But trying to do this and still meet someone seem to be like oils and vinegar. They just don't mix.

HOS violation question

The safe haven rule was told to me by Prime dispatch. Sorry fir passing on wrong info, I thought it was right.

HOS violation question

If it's to get to a safe place there is an amendment to the law called the Safe Haven law or something like that. The DOT allows drivers out of time, to get to a safe place to park. Primes log department will cover that with you.

If your trying to make a stop, your fm should be going over time management with you.

If you are stopped in the next 7-8 days it will show up on your logs. If your log department isn't aware then it appears as if you just ran over hours. If they are aware they can put a note on it firvthe DOT to see when they get a copy.

What a day...

We all have these from time to time. So yesterday I got a load assignment to reposed a load from the SLC terminal and my preload plan for after that load.

I left at 11:30 last night to make my 0030 appt time today. 7 hours later I'm getting the bills, and took my time to get the 8/2 split so I could run some more today.

With 4 hours left in my pick up window, I rush to get a washout and learn that my next load is ready but the trailer is out of fuel so I need to hurry and get there to take it to the nearest fuel spot.

I arrive to find out another Prime driver has picked it up to take it to get fuel. He is leaving as I am arriving. They actually don't let him leave since the product has no fuel to run the reefer, so they fuel him up in the spot.

He drops the trainer I hook up, but they need to inspect the load first to make sure it's still ok to send out. (Meat load) everything is good the reefer starts right up after its pre trip is done.

In my way out reefer is off. It wasn't far from being in temp so I thought nothing of it. Even when I checked the temp it didn't register with me it should be running. Pre trip passed no issues.

So security can't let me leave the reefer won't turn in and the product is over temp. So I pull back on lot and talk with RA and dispatch. Let everyone know what's going on. With RAs help I spend 2 hours trying to prime the fuel pump, or lines I'm not sure maybe both. No go, the reefer cranks but doesn't turn over.

RA gets a mechanic out here he drains some of the fuel out, puts his own desire in the unit starts up but cuts out after about 2 minutes. We notice it's out of coolant. We top that off, but the unit won't start up and run smoothly or stay running.

So short story is it's been a 17 hour day so far I have driven 80-85 miles, and I'm now awaiting fir the load to be transponder and fir the office to print new bills in a holiday. Looks like I'm not going anywhere for a while.

Hard Lesson Learned

My trainer told me to count all holes open or not. For example if I want 6 I start at the first hole and count six. Usually our 2-4 is the stop bar, but we count that hole as well.

Self destruct button? LOL

Supposedly it's the alert everyone alarm. It sends signals to dispatch and safety, then dispatches fire and rescue as well as police.

That's what my trainer told me.

Public service announcement!!!

This is more fir the rookies like myself. Its Sept. 1st that means chains must be in your truck for I70 at least west of Denver. (I forgot the exact mile marker posts). And starting next month all those winters stayes will begin their months when you must have them in the truck. Not all states start in October some in November. Some don't have month ranges they just expect you to have them if the weather requires them.

This has been your public service announcement....

State chain laws

My CDL Training Diary With Prime Inc

Paul I think it's 1year before you can be experienced driver, but don't quote me on that.

As for the backing, I was very bad at it in training. To this day I still have mess ups out there. Once I went solo and it was on me to do all maneuvers it just got better. Like practice makes perfect. Plus all the stress and pressure we put on ourselves in training to learn fast and safe but to get out there and make money for whatever reason we have also plays s part in why we suck in training. At least that's how it was fir me.

Dispatch wants me to take a 34 hr reset in a loading dock?!

My two cents, trying not to repeat others here. I would have first seen if I could get to the shipper get loaded and then get to a nearby truckstop. I know some have good on their trucks, but that's not always the case for everyone. I have food once I get out of a terminal and in about 10 days it's gone. As a rookie I have a fear of Walmart lots after almost getting stuck in two since I have been solo.

Anyways back to my point don't reject the load right away, try and find a solution that gets you what you need and the carrier what they need. They need you on that load and you need amenities when you stop. Maybe you would have to take a 10 or longer to get hours back after midnight. Then do your 34 as soon as you can safely park. Just always try and find a way to fit both in. If you can't just know your job is to haul freight. That will always be first.