Comments By ID Mtn Gal

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0670462001708905013-69571.jpg avatar
  • ID Mtn Gal
  • Comments:

Previous Page Next Page

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Dot preventable. Making it tough to get jobs.

I'm confused.

Is the dropped trailer the only accident you had? How long had you been driving when that happened? Is that your first company? What type of company was it and how big?

Have you gotten a copy of your DAC record? You can request a free one at this link:

Hireright DAC

Give us some more information and we can help you better. You do have to realize that the economy has tanked and it's going to be hard to get another driving job.

Laura

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Can you let me know where you got your training?

Are you serious? I was specifically looking for something that was in demand and from everything I looked at it definitely looked like there's a huge demand for truckers. OMG....I don't know whst to do now.

I spent 2 months trying to get another job in the IT after I was laid off without notice and found out the job market is overcrowded with people looking for the same thing I was looking for. Recent grads with a ton more current education than I have. That's when I thought that I needed to change gears. I saw a number of articles stating that truckers drivers were in demand, there's a big shortage of drivers, etc. I thought that would be perfect. I've loved driving as it is.

Now I see this.

Jesus.

There's absolutely nothing where I live but a bunch of stores.

I'm totally screwed.

I don't know what to do.

Yes, he was serious. There truly is not a demand for drivers. You have an incident, many companies in the past would give you a chance and keep you on with a warning. Now you are fired. Look for another job and you struggle to find one. I'm not talking about major accidents, just incidents. Since freight has seriously slowed down and freight rates have tanked, my company has let several people go for having an incident along with an attitude. I was running really steady (2500-2800 mi) until 3 weeks ago when my runs slowed tremendously. In that time, I have sat 48 to 72 hours three different times and have only done 5,500 miles in that 3 weeks. My company is trying to spread the wealth among their good drivers.

When I came out on the road in September 2014, the reporting at that time was that there was a shortage of 50,000 drivers. The reasons were the same as what you read. I never saw a shortage of drivers. It is cyclical and there may be times when there was a shortage....supposedly there was during covid but I didn't see it then either and they pushed hiring at many companies. I worked at two different ones that leased their trucks and had many sitting empty on the lots. They pushed to hire more people and went around saying they were short drivers. However, if they hadn't leased those extra trucks, they wouldn't have needed more drivers. They were just wanting part of the pie of hauling more freight.

As for what you are going to do? I don't have a clue. If you want this bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to get through a school and get a company to take you on.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Is there any company I can work for ?

So I got my CDL on the 7th March this year. Unfortunately in my first week of CDL school I got a speeding ticket going to the DOT doc. He was rushing me saying he’s not waiting and I wanted to get my permit that Friday. Big mistake, ticket 20+ over.

Reckless driving...more than likely that has done you in for any company out there. I won't be as kind as Old School was in his comment, you should not have a CDL until you have driven at least a year in our country and you learn the rules better.

Same week I scraped my personal car on the wall, turning into the gym parking.

Good grief! How in the world did you do that?

After CDL school by a week maybe I hit a parked car doing a three point turn.

UK English isn't much different than American English, so how did you maybe hit a parked car? Either you did or you didn't, there is no maybe.

All this and I only got my class C in October having moved from the U.K. This all makes me look like a horrible driver, I guess I was a little burned out learning. The reverse off set that same week idk. Every company has turned me down and often without hearing about the ticket and claims-just based on not having had my class C a year. Western exp had said a class C for 6 months is ok. I have an orientation with them in 3:4 weeks, however they don’t know about my ticket or claims as I left those out the application.

Insurance companies say who the companies can take on or not hire. Many of the big companies are self-insured, and Western Express may be one of those. However, when they hear of your lying on your application, and this is a federal job, you can forget about being hired by them or anyone else.

I have heard Western X are a second chance company , is there anyway they’d take me on?

At this time, I would not pursue a driving job until you have been driving under a Class C for at least one year, but with the 20+ speeding ticket, you need at least 3 years under your belt when it will drop off. In a year, you may be able to find a Class B job, but with your incidents and that speeding ticket, that could be iffy also. So many drivers out there with good records are having a hard time getting on and getting training.

As Old School said, learn to take responsibilities for your actions and not make excuses. In this business, that will get you let go from many companies. Eating humble pie, which is taking responsibility for your actions, will get you further ahead in the long run.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Hello and Drug testing question

You don't have to worry about the Vicodin prescription medicine. That will be out of your system and won't show in any hair follicle test. Your name being slightly misspelled is not anything to be concerned about. You need to be more worried about your illegal drug that you took. We tell people to wait a full year because everybody's metabolism gets rid of it at different time frames. However, Errol says it takes only 3 months.

Here are some links for you to look at:

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Decisions, Decisions…load type question

You are putting the cart before the horse.

Here's some links that you should read up on first:

I have to head out with my load in just a little bit. When I park for the night, I'll see if anybody has responded and give some insight then, if nobody has.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Tornado on I 80 Nebraska

PackRat got hold of me and said that an EF2 touched down in Lincoln Nebraska. I was on I-70 in MO and IL driving in hard pouring rain with high winds and only 8,900 lb in the box. That was fun!

Laura

Posted:  1 month ago

Is a TWIC card worth it?

Depends on what the company pays. I had my TWIC card and ran the Port of Oakland every week for a company 5 years ago and they were paying .49 cpm....slightly below average. Other container companies were in the same ballpark as the one I was driving for.

I left them and drove 3.5 years for another company and went back to running containers to the Port of Oakland. I ran 18 months for them and that company started me out at 52 cents and when I left the day before this past Thanksgiving, I was making 54 cents. Took winter off and started 1 Feb driving dry van and am making .57 cpm.

Stick with Melton for another year or two and become a top-tier driver to make more money. You can change companies all the time to make more money, but in reality you are starting pretty much at the bottom at the new company and you have to work you're way up to make better money.

Laura

Posted:  1 month ago

Trying to find a SMALL carrier

Go on LinkedIn, Indeed.com and any other websites that do applications to a massive amount of companies. If you have no accidents on your DAC record, you might get a hit that way. Otherwise, check Craigslist to see what might be there for your area.

It has been tough and getting tougher to find driving jobs in this economy. Many companies are laying off and small mom and pop companies are closing down.

Good luck

Posted:  1 month ago

Is it better to work for bigger companies or smaller companies

Every small company I have worked for and there has been five of them, don't pay as well as the bigger companies with 250+ trucks. For me, being a widow, and making more money than I have ever made in my life, I can accept the lower cpm.

As for fewer rules to follow, I about blew tea through my nose! HAHAHA It doesn't matter the size of the company, everybody has the same FMCSA rules to follow. I have a friend that worked for Swift for 13 years until his division was closed down where he was at. So he went to the company I was at hauling fresh beef and fresh pork in containers to the Port of Oakland every week. Old School started out with Western Express and did very well there but then moved to flatbed with Knight. He's been there quite a long time and does very well. There are a number of other drivers here that have stayed with their company for many years. That's what you need to do with Melton.

Most old timers that I know want to go back to the old days...no ELDs and no HOS. Life progresses and as drivers we have to stay up with the changes. I used to build computers, I like having an ELD. After my one small company got shut down by DOT back in February 2017, I vowed I would never drive for a company that didn't have electronic logs. Actually I run better with electronic logs and make better money than I did running illegal.

It doesn't matter what the name of the company is on the door, it's how well you work with that company.

Laura

Posted:  1 month ago

Restroom issues. Women Need You!

I watched your video. I really did not know that it was a law that locks have to be on bathroom doors. Even old people can learn new things 😉

I agree with you though. Even though I'm "one of the guys" out here, I'm still a female and don't want to have anyone walk in on me.

Laura