Profile For Dan N.

Dan N.'s Info

2 years, 4 months ago

Dan N.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

NO HIGH BEAMS!

That's what we're trying to do. That was the point of 6 String posting this topic in the first place. We're trying to teach people the proper way of doing things

Lest anyone think I was agreeing with you all on this... I wasn't. I was being facetious.

There is no "right" way. That was my point.

And noone was ever blinded by the reflection of someone's high beam in a mirror 100 feet away. That's pure exageration.

Fortune Transportation

Dan says:

For me, there is enough difference in pay from some truckload carriers to some others that I would make the change as soon as it became possible.

In a way, I agree. Did you catch the last phrase in the second post?

And my point is not to talk you in to staying with Swift. It goes for any other company that will hire drivers with less than 3 years' experience.

Many trucking companies don't want to deal with rookies, and you need 3-5 years OTR experience before they'll talk to you. And they probably do pay more. But one year on the road isn't enough for them.

I've never worked for either, but just for illustration purposes:

Overall: Swift Transportation drivers average ~ 42k vs. Crete Carriers drivers average ~55k (based on data from multiple sources)

Both will hire with 1 year experience.

At Crete: • 1 year start at $.45 per practical mile

At Swift: • 1 year start at $.40 per hmg mile

(from company websites)

What if I only want to drive locally?

Also bruce, McDonald's is always hiring. You'll be local and home every night.

...and be making more than some OTR drivers smile.gif

Fortune Transportation

If you're wondering about pay/ benefits, keep this in mind: in a competitive industry (I'm talking about getting and keeping drivers here) the differences in benefits hardly make the changing worthwhile.

I guess it depends on how much makes it worthwhile. That will vary from person to person.

Then, when you make the comparison between some of the major truckload carriers versus trucking in some other sectors (LTL, fuel hauling, and others), well, in some cases, there's really no comparison.

NO HIGH BEAMS!

The guy flashing his lights was extending courtesy to you! He had good intentions!

The guy flashing his high beams in your mirrors is a lazy jerk who knows exactly the problem he's causing other people and doesn't care. Don't even pretend staring into bright lights doesn't blind people. Just say it like it is - you're too damn selfish and lazy to do the best thing for someone else, so instead you'll do the least you possibly can because that's what's convenient for you, and then pat yourself on the back and try to convince yourself you're a helpful guy.

If you're too lazy to help someone the right way then just stay out of their way and leave them alone. Blinding someone is not helpful, and pretending that bright lights straight into someone's eyes isn't blinding them makes you sound like an idiot.

Try doing your job to professional standards. Blinding other drivers does not qualify.

Wow! I can't believe how bent out of shape some of you get about this.

"lazy jerk" ???

I don't think so. He is just a driver that learned from someone that that's the way you're supposed to do it. Fact is, this custom (flashing your brights to invite a truck back in the right lane) has a long history with truck drivers. I remember, as a kid way, seeing truckers flash their brights for this reason and others. Hell, I remember it being common for drivers to flash their brights at oncoming traffic to warn them of a cop or other hazard ahead.

Another fact. This method is still customary in other countries. When I used to go into Canada I would see this all the time.

Perhaps you can use your influence to make driver courtesy part of the established training curriculum. Then everyone will know the "right" way of doing these things.

What if I only want to drive locally?

I want to add. The local companies that hire new cdl holders that I am familiar with are very selective about who they hire. You must have a clean record (driving and criminal) and a solid work history. And, you must stand out in cdl school and get a strong reference from them.

What if I only want to drive locally?

Bruce,

It can be done, if you live in a good location for "local" driving opportunities (near a big city). However, you are going to have to take some initiative. Before you go to school, make sure that that the jobs are there for new cdl holders. Check LTL, food distributors, fuel hauling (yes, I know of one, at least). The most common way to get started is to go OTR, but "local" companies are hiring inexperienced cdl holders more and more. Some companies believe that hiring the inexperienced and then training them to do things "their way" can be better than hiring experienced guys who are set in their own ways and then trying to break them from their bad habits.

Find out who's hiring locally. Find out if they will hire and train a new cdl holder. Find out what school(s) they hire out of. Then make it happen.

NO HIGH BEAMS!

Agreed, absolutely hate this with a passion. I refuse to flash my marker lights as a thank you because to me its more rude than polite.

1: I dont need you to tell me where the back of my trailer is. I have mirrors.

2: Its absolutely blinding and they always flash their high beams conveniently at the worst time; right when I'm looking directly at them.

3: If you're going to do it fine, blink your low beams.

I get blinded and say " Gee thanks, I have 8 more hours of night shift to go and my eyes hurt already now."

Someone here recently remarked about how whiny truck drivers can be... this thread is becoming exhibit A.

"It's absolutely blinding..." , "...my eyes hurt already now."

What? Do you have your gaze locked on that mirror? Ever heard of taking quick glances? Using your peripheral vision?

If there is no traffic behind the passing truck then I do not signal in any way and I expect that he will stay in the left lane until he is at least a couple truck lengths past me. What I find annoying as hell are these guys that think they need to get back in the right lane just as soon as their trailer clears the front of my truck. Unless you’ve got traffic bearing down on you, stay the hell in the left lane until you have established a safe following distance between us. I like to be able to see what’s in front of me down the road… I don’t want to be staring at the back of your trailer all the while it takes for you to pull away.

That said, if the passing truck has traffic behind him then he has good reason to get back over in the right lane as soon as possible. If he doesn’t, impatient 4-wheelers will start passing him on the right. In this case I will flash my fog lights to signal that it’s okay with me if he comes back over. (By the way, Daniel, it’s not a matter of me thinking that you don’t “know where the back of your trailer is.” It’s a matter of courtesy, me saying ‘I know you want to get over asap, I don’t mind if you cut back over in front of me now.” That’s how I see it.)

I think the high-beam flash has certain advantages. For one, unlike the low-beam dimmer, a high beam flash is unmistakable. I will notice it, even if not looking at my mirror. Other types of signaling require that you give more (maybe too much) attention to your mirror. This allows me to focus more on what is in front of me.

What I really don't get is statements like this:

" I refuse to flash my marker lights as a thank you."

You're being a crybaby. "My eyes hurt, sniff, sniff."

And a jerk. "I refuse to thank him, blah, blah."

NO HIGH BEAMS!

Reminder to fellow drivers and rookies....

Use your light cancellation button, or whatever you wanna call it, just don't flick your HIGH BEAMS when signalling to another driving to pass. It's blinding, annoying, and against common sense. In the short time I've been out here, it seems to be getting more prevalent. When somebody is eyeballing their mirrors, why would he/she wanna see high beams flashing? Think about it. I've seen this posted in other forums over the years. I'm posting it here because this is primarily a place for rookies. Don't flash your high beams - be a thoughtful driver.

Jeez..... You think somebody would really have to explain this ...

No offense, but I think this is awfully petty.

I regularly have vehicles approach me from behind with their high beams left on (I'm sure you encounter this too) and I've never been "blinded" by taking quick glances in my mirror. Annoyed, for sure, but "blinded"? Come on.

A quick high beam flash is even less problematic.

Toughen up buttercupsmile.gif .

Courtesy between drivers seems to have dwindled over the years. Any I can get is much appreciated... even a high-beam flash! Keep 'em coming drivers.

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

Cruise control in traffic, meaning cars are slower and closer together, varying speed is useless. Adaptive CC is useful in light traffic because it keeps your interval farther back, but usually farther back then you prefer.

I drove one of our newer trucks recently, has adaptive CC. I found it very annoying. That and the lane departure warning. I don't need the truck thinking for me.

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

We're talking more than milliseconds and it could certainly make a difference in some situations

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

Dan's in control:

My brain is about to explode: A driver who considers milliseconds important! When the brakes are punched, the cruise control shuts off faster than anything you can do.

unless you're driving with your foot on the brake, my way is quicker. As soon as I take my foot off the throttle, the truck starts to slow.

A year of Per Diem pay - the results

Dan considers:

Well, what's the point of this exercise then?

People want to know, when it's all said an done, if it's better to take the per diem.

You make it look like taking the per diem was a huge ($1700) bonus. That's not the case, all things considered.

You haven't been on this forum long enough, and have not searched back on all the per diem talk.

I used​ my earnings numbers to a certain extent, and added a generic tax rate. I am not a tax professional, so I can't talk about anyone else's situation. But with all the talk that's been posted here on Trucking Truth, I made a point to put out some realistic experience here. You're welcome.

Your mileage will certainly vary.

Okay then. thank-you-2.gif

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

I never use cruise control. I don't find it tedious at all to keep my foot in it.

You might not be aware of it, but you probably **** off other drivers on a regular basis.

It's very annoying to be driving with your cruise set at 60 and be near someone that's fluctuating between 59 and 61, or thereabout.

Can't understand why anyone would choose not to use the CC on an open highway (barring weather/traffic concerns).

Trust me Dan, 6-String is very aware of what he is doing.

Besides he drives for Old Dominion...you needn't worry about being held up by him unless he is lugging up a hill. He's likely cruising by you at 65-67.

Yeah, in that case (running up against the governor) I understand. I do the same, in fact. I feel a little more in control that way... a little quicker reaction time should I need to slow down fast. But when the speed limit is below 65 I use the CC.

Around here, it seems like those OD guys are set at about 64. Our trucks are set at 65-66 on cruise and that's usually a wee bit faster than the OD guys.

A year of Per Diem pay - the results

I did not include any adjustment for per diem in any way with the "no per diem" side. Be honest, just how many drivers keep track for per diem purposes? My number represent the company's effect on a driver's payroll, and the driver can do whatever after he/she gets their check.

Well, what's the point of this exercise then?

N00b Questions You (Probably) Have But Were Afraid To Ask!

A year of Per Diem pay - the results

This site has a useful article on the subject of per diem pay.

I think Errol, in calculating his "no per-diem" taxes, forgot to factor in the standard meal allowance of $63/day. That would have reduced his "no per-diem" tax liability significantly. I think the "$1700 the better" claim is way off. Not to mention the fact that taking the per diem cost him about a 20% reduction in his (company paid) social security contributions.

I started a Per Diem deduction with Swift in January last year, with the plans of publishing the results on Trucking Truth.

Well, here's the results. The gross pay was taken from my 2016 W2s, the miles are from my paychecks – I keep a spreadsheet of them all. (Yes, it's part of my OCD)

The bottom line, with Per Diem, over the year, I ended up with about $1,700 extra cash in my pocket. This is not part of a tax refund, this is the result of taking the Per Diem offer from Swift.

I used TurboTax to do my taxes. I ended up with itemized deductions, but there is nothing in the “Job Expenses” section at all. I did a search for “Per Diem” in Turbo Tax, and got almost no results. My taxes have been sent in and accepted by the IRS.

Here's my information. The tax rate is a national average, everybody's is different. Yes, there is a $0.08 difference between Per Diem and non-Per Diem CPM pay, but I still come out ahead.

2016 With Per Diem

0.00

Net + Per Diem paid

35,790.30

34,037.51

Extra cash in pocket

$1,752.79

Need advice about written guarantee

Evening to all, from NJ anyhow. So I received two invitations to CDL training school. TMC transport. CRST transport. Here is where I need advice from you experienced folk. I asked the recruiters from both schools if they would email a guarantee of schooling with my felony record being known. I was informed that a letter of pre-hire is customary.

My concern is that I will get to Iowa and be in school, only to be told to go home because of a reconsideration or something came up? I have disclosed all, with proper paperwork as well in regards to my criminal history, MVC, employment history etc. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but I have to cover all my basis. What do you fine folks think about this?

-Lance

Guarantees? LOL? There are none for drivers in relation to their company.

With your record, you will probably get a little extra scrutiny from those observing when you get there. But you're probably used to that by now. Like others have said, the orientation and training period are your interview. Maintain honest, straightforward, positive attitude throughout. Be prepared to have to deal with some real a*holes that could mess things up for you. They might even intentionally "test" your temperament by putting you in some "situations."

How shady is the industry really? (Multiple logbooks and unplugging GPS trackers?)

Oh yeah, and the trite popcorn, "jokes" that are plastered all over various trucking forums are seriously inane.

Ryan, I think they are smart and funny, sometimes. Such as when the thread features a troll that's just there to jerk some chains, or someones sock-puppet created to be a foil for the enlightened ones. Which are you?

Rejected by Prime