Profile For millionmiler24

millionmiler24's Info

Des Moines, IA

Experienced Driver

3 years, 11 months ago

millionmiler24's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

millionmiler24's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  4 hours, 19 minutes ago

To hazmat or not to hazmat

So, I was offered a hazmat load, but declined. I am hazmat certified, but have never done a hazmat load. My company has a hotline to guide me on which placards to place. Still, I don't feel comfortable. I earned my endorsements on the written almost two years ago. My question is, would you suggest to take a hazmat load, and freshen up on some of the requirements? Or, is it something that I should spend time with a hazmat mentor?

I’ll keep it plain and simple: If you don’t feel COMFORTABLE and SAFE then DONT DO IT.

Posted:  4 hours, 32 minutes ago

First Incident as a new Driver. Will I get fired?

Exactly. I’m not swerving out of the way for anybody. Whenever I encounter a driver like that flying through a yard when it’s tight, I’ll come to a stop. Not slam on my brakes but come to a stop and let him figure it out. And then continue on. Never let a driver rush or bully you into doing something that will make you uncomfortable.

What bumped the other guy's trailer, your truck or your trailer?

Just go through all the reporting processes: call the accident number, message dispatch, take lots of pictures.

You should be fine since you're a new driver. It could have been much worse. Next time, if you're where you should be, don't swerve out of the way.

For sure. One thing my dad always made sure I learned was never get in a big hurry because it leads to mistakes 100% of the time. He always told me: “Son, if you only learn ONE thing from me ever learn THIS: Don’t do it fast, Do it RIGHT.”

Posted:  4 hours, 39 minutes ago

Questions about local driving

Thanks, Steven. I once worked as a temporary USPS postman during the holiday season, 1995, and the local post office supervisor gave me, the newbie, the most physically-demanding walking-loop delivery routes in town. It was often challenging because sometimes I would have a different route everyday and go into unknown territory. I did not get the preferred driving-only rural/semi-rural routes much: the seniors with union representation got those cushy routes where they just sit in the delivery truck or jeep and drive up to the mailboxes.

I could probably do Regional for some time before graduating to Local then going onto a non-driving job as Dispatcher, Load Planner or Logistics Manager. Will major carriers generally require any OTR (long-haul) experience at all for hiring non-drivers as Logistics Managers?

Is Regional to Local to Logistics Manager a possible carrier path?

How about just regional directly to non-driving?

Non-driving jobs are most desirable for the natural homebodies like me. They seem like the typical 9-5 daily local commute jobs. I love the simple pleasure of hiking on the local hillside trail with a dog after work. Some here are romanced by the adventure of dieseling in a big rig all over America in many different adverse conditions. Wondering if you can pull that heavy load up a steep grade and get back down safely. Sometimes this lifestyle entails the horror of trying to find safe parking places overnight, dealing with low bridges, being in unfamiliar crime-ridden areas or getting totally lost. For me, being based in Texas and doing no greater driving ranges than Regional routes would keep me out of those congested and crime-ridden big cities of the ocean coastal areas and of the Great Lakes areas. There are seldom mountain driving, desert driving and severe winter driving conditions in the south too. This latest Texas Big Freeze in one notable exception. The warm and flat south, think Get My Kicks on Route 66, seems to be the most desirable or favorable trucking territory in Lower 48 America. I've driven to California to Georgia a couple time over Route 66 even in the dead of winter. A cake walk in a car of pickup truck with a landscaping trailer even. There were a few mountains in Flagstaff, Arizona and in New Mexico but nothing major. I doubt if a Regional driver out of Texas would ever have to drive in the Rockies of Colorado

I view the prospect of driving as an experience ticket to get to those more desirable non-driving motor carrier positions. My mother once had a real estate man would drove a fancy 1976 Cadillac Seville. He told us he drove trucks for a while then got into the real estate business. I suppose he was more financially successful as a realtor than as a truck driver back in the 1970's. He,age 45 back in 1981, had a wife and three boys.

Truck driving is/was a stepping stone or a way to make a living on the way to to something else for many. Many young and new celebrity rock and roll musicians did heavy road touring early on then graduated to the more comfortable home life of a recording studio or solo career later on. People can get totally burned out being on the road too long. Prolonged road life whether being a touring rock star or a long-haul trucker has been the substance-abuse death of some too. The road life can stand in the way of other human endeavors as family life or taking Rover to the local dog park after work each evening. A truck can be a rolling jail sentence for some.

As the Jody cadences we used to sing in the army, leave that toughest stuff (airborne ranger, long-haul driver) to the young and the bold.

Brah, I’m gonna be blunt here: if you are REALLY serious about this answer us one question TRUTHFULLY for once: Are you REALLY Todd Holmes? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Posted:  4 hours, 53 minutes ago

What kind of tunes yall like to listen to OTR?

Here are my satellite radio saved stations.

1. Garth brooks
13. ESPN
14. Fox Sports
15. College sports
16. NFL radio
17. MLB network
18. Live sports channel

I also listen to a lot of the stand up comedy stations.

BUMP for recent thoughts

Anyway I have recently switched to Amazon Music and Garth Brooks is at the top of my list also. I’ve also been listening to the music from the Eddie and the Cruisers movies. Those have an excellent soundtrack. I will still listen to JUST ABOUT anything with some notable exceptions: I ABSOLUTELY will NOT listen to anything sad, religious, any lullabies or anything that reminds me of a tough time in my life. 2 tunes that fit that bill are The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney and Oh My Darling Clementine. I absolutely can’t stand those 2 tunes.

The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney was playing on the radio when a family friend drove me home from the hospice center that my father was in the night my father passed on.

Oh My Darling Clementine, my Mother would play that too much and every time I heard that tune it would make me bust out crying. I don’t know why but I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE that tune. It’s the ABSOLUTE WORST tune ever conceived. My life would be better if it never existed. Sorry if me and anyone here has a difference of opinion about this but I’m set in my ways and will never change them.

Basically ANYTHING that makes me cry like a little baby or get me emotional on that level I ABSOLUTELY will NEVER listen to and that’s a NO GO. I am a man, NOT a baby. I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE crying and gettin emotional. I don’t have a problem when other people do, I just don’t want it to happen to me. There is more to life than moping around all the time. I am someone that would rather bring HAPPINESS and PEACE to the world.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Where’s everyone at what’s you 20 how’s the weather??

On weather shutdown due to Winter Conditions at the Lincoln Monument Rest Area in Laramie WY.

At least it's pretty out there~!! Stay safe & warm; I hate this weather. (And since I've got a helluva cold, doesn't help.) I plan on sleeping in tomorrow...WAY in. Let us know when you are 'out.'

On another note;

Anyone hear from Old School ??? It's been a few days since he's stopped in; wonder how the weather is, in HIS part of Texas?!?

~ Anne ~

Well we got out of that but we are now shut down again due to chain laws over Donner Pass. We are at the Loves in Fernley NV.

Never HAVE been a party to a chaining. Didn't ride w/the other half back in those days, couldn't. Kids. Dang, man.. PLEASE BE SAFE. I really do not KNOW THAT terrain / area, besides.... Google and articles. I wish y'all safe.

Sicker than shxx right now; tested NEGATIVE for the Vid. Feel like smack. Someday, I'll learn how to chain, perhaps! Couldn't even bump a dock in an auto. RN.

Please stay safe; I have a couple of people to talk to that drive myself as well.... just been toooooooo sick TO FEEL IT. No clue. Please stay safe, y'all. Woke up from a 'nap' and going to try to catch another, in the 'downbed' so as not to get the hubby sick. We usually sleep in different rooms anyway, LoL~!

'What a drag, it is, getting old.' No 'mother's little helper' meds here; just need some Pepto and Mucinex.. or more of. I'll be fine.

Be safe; getting caught up tmrw.. plan to, anyway.

~ Anne ~

I hope ya get to feelin better. I’ll certainly pray for ya. 😜

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Where’s everyone at what’s you 20 how’s the weather??

On another note;

~ Anne ~

Be safe; getting caught up tmrw.. plan to, anyway.

~ Anne ~

Got down Donner and back up again. Chain law was removed. Headin home with this load to Des Moines. Currently at Loves in Fernley NV again but this time for my mid shift break, fueling and scalin my load.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Where’s everyone at what’s you 20 how’s the weather??

On another note;

~ Anne ~

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Where’s everyone at what’s you 20 how’s the weather??

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

0426670001613395623.jpg

Kearney NE Archway Monument a few min ago today at sunrise. It’s off of I-80 Exit 275. I wanted to always stop off there and check it out but I’m not sure if they have truck parking or not.

Yes, there is parking there, but a ways to walk though. Too cold for that today!

Yup during my shift last night it got down to -27. That’s the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

0426670001613395623.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

CRST - Can’t Run, Shutdown Today CRST- Can’t Run, Shutdown Tomorrow

Is that YOU, atm... MM'ler?

~ Anne ~

It’s been me some but not at this moment.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

CRST - Can’t Run, Shutdown Today CRST- Can’t Run, Shutdown Tomorrow

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

Whoa!! All I can say is hugs an kisses!

So glad to see to you. Congrats on the apartment

Thanks. Much appreciated Rainy or do I call ya Kearsey now? My God it’s been a long time. Are you still with Prime training people or have you moved on to other things now?

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Where are they now?

Mik D.?

I'll get on it. Have his full name somewhere, LoL.

Sent a message to Ruck. No luck on Jeramy (yet.)

Simon D. (Grandpa) ?!?!?

Guyjax, Starcar, Ernie the old salty dog, just to name a few more. Anyway and I just thought one of the biggest regrets I have leavin Cedar Rapids is I never got to meet Susan D. It’s been a while from her. I wonder if she’s still workin for West Side. She was the very first person to ever respond to me on here.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

Hey millionmiler! Congrats on the apartment! It sounds like everything is going great for ya!

Make sure you're having plenty of fun out there! Weird advice, right? I say that because I know you're working hard and you're dedicated to your company and your profession. You're serious about being the best you can be.

So the biggest risk for a guy like you is burnout. Run hard enough, but not too hard. Take time off, enjoy that apartment.

Oh....and don't get caught up in all the glitz and glamour of Des Moines!!

Awesome hearing from ya man. Your story is one of my favorite.

Thanks Brett that means a lot especially comin from a livin legend such as yourself. The ironic thing is I’ve gotten so serious now about my job that it’s not fun anymore. I do this to survive and help this wonderful country. This job as I told OS is my TOP priority. If I ever got more than a reset at home then I could maybe have some fun on Hometime once everything is fully set up. But now Hometime all I do is clean up and mostly try to get rest. Anyway I sure hope everything has been great with you also. Runnin this site isn’t an easy job and if I’d had more technical experience I’d love to work out of my apartment in Des Moines as your assistant. That I’d be honored to do and then Anne and everyone else would get their wish: havin my loveable self around every day.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

To see that you showed up and started a post.. brought tears to my eyes.

You are a legend, in MY mind.

If I could meet ONE person on TT... it'd be you. I've said that before.

Thank you for stopping in... that's HUGE.

CONTINUED success on your journey, man. You've impacted MANY people, many lives. You've put your time in training.. it's about YOU now!!

Kudos on the apartment, as well! You still got that 'hottie' of a truck, sitting out front ?!?!?!?

I'm in lala land, haha! So glad you stopped IN.

~ Anne ~

That means a lot. I’m not up there with the likes of the Moderators here because they are the legends here. I’m just another run of the mill driver tryin to survive and help others in this messed up world we live in today. As I have said before helpin others is my mission in life. That’s the only purpose I serve. I’m usually the one that calls y’all legends. I’ve never been called that in my life and it means a lot. The unfortunate thing about my route is I don’t get as Far East as Ohio anymore but if you are ever in Des Moines let me know and if I’m on Hometime then we can meet up if ya want. Yes I still have the pickup. I’m thinking about maybe gettin a Toyota for more reliability but I’m not sure there yet.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

MM... Dude... awesome you checked-in and updated us. Congratulations!!!

Don’t be a stranger... your story can definitely help the Newbies passing through.

Yours is one of top TT success stories. All the best MM!

Thanks G-Town. You are one of the reasons I’m where I’m at today. Without you helpin me wake up in CDL school I wouldn’t be here now. How has everything been for you? Are you still with Swift and doin Walmart Dedicated?

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Where are they now?

Check out this post if y’all want updates from me:

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Where are they now?

JuiceBox,

I thought about you the other day. I'm traveling up to Clarksville next week to help my daughter and son-in-law move. He is retiring from the US Army as a Blackhawk pilot after 22 years from Ft. Campbell. Glad to see that you are still trucking hard and hope everything is working out for you.

If ya want a good mechanic in that area seek out Scotty Kilmer.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

Congratulations. Glad to hear from you. What happened in Dallas or is that old news?

From my last response Big Scott, it is old news.

I’m so glad you are back with CFI and doin amazingly well. Keep up the legendary work.

Congratulations on an apartment! That's a huge milestone after all you've endured.

dancing-dog.gif dancing-dog.gif dancing-dog.gif

Seriously, what's with all the secret agent/man of mystery stuff? I have really enjoyed your posts and continuing contributions on here for the past several years, but you drive-by-post on here, then leave us all hanging for months wondering if you exist. Many of us wish you could stick around with us a bit more. Possible?

What happened with this latest, "almost murdered in Dallas" experience?

I can try but can’t promise anything. I usually am WAY too busy when I’m over the road. Y’all have always said to be successful in this industry that you have to be a top performer, well this job is my TOP priority. I really only have time to myself when I am on LEGIT Hometime. Not to worry I still exist and won’t stop drivin trucks ever unless something happens to where I can’t anymore. The drive by posting is really when something that I deem noteworthy happens. That’s when I usually post. Nothing noteworthy or that I deem worthy of postin has happened until yesterday morning when I signed the lease on my apartment.

BTW PackRat how’s the new heart been treating you? Your saga about having to endure a transplant is way more amazing to me than anything I could ever endure. Much respect to you and your LEGENDARY courage.

Hello Millionmiler! It is great to hear from you!

Are you still driving? Fill us in with a few details.

When you say...

I’m gonna try to keep it short here:

You are serious about it. When an old friend pops in on us unexpectedly, we love to hear what's been going on. When you get the chance, fill us in on the details. Congratulations on the apartment! I know it means a lot to you.

OS, please forgive me for being blunt but I have to stay serious about my job to be the top performer y’all like havin here and even more so that I LOVE being. The fun in this job is gone to me. ALL I care about now is being serious and successful at this job. Don’t get me wrong I still love helping others. It’s still my mission in life but I’ve done that for 35 years now. It’s time I started taking care of myself because if I don’t take care of myself then I won’t be around anymore to help others which is something I can’t have. If I can’t serve this country by driving a truck then I have no purpose in life. Yes I’m still driving and I’m still with CRST but I no longer train. I am on a dedicated loop now with CRST that gives me consistent miles and income which helped me BIG time to obtain my apartment.

Btw OS how have you been doin? I read on here you have been sidelined due to a detached retina?! My God you sure are tougher than I am that’s for sure.

Woohoo! It appears nothing can stop you from reaching your goals. Your story continues to be one of my favorites I've read on this forum. You've overcame obstacles and worked your butt off to land back on your feet, all while doing so at a company that people are so quick to trash talk online.

My students trash talking CRST is one of the reasons I stopped training drivers on a permanent basis now. Also they kept pairing me with students that don’t speak English so it’s a wonder how they got around the FMCSA regulations and obtained a CDL when they can’t speak English. Rule #1 with me is if you want to codrive with me you MUST be able to read, write and speak FLUENT ENGLISH. If not I have no place for ya on my truck. I already have enough to deal with without a language barrier on top of everything else. CRST has been SUPER LEGENDARY to me. If it weren’t for y’all here and CRST I wouldn’t have what I have nor would I be as successful as I am. Y’all and CRST are like Johnny Gilbert and Alex Trebek on Jeopardy! Ken Jennings has done an amazing job hostin the show but he’s no Alex Trebek but he sure comes close. Also no one could ever replace Johnny Gilbert as announcer.

I think I’ve answered all of the above questions. If y’all need further clarification please let me know. Anyway I still love y’all and CRST and because I don’t post much anymore don’t mean I’m not thinking about y’all and lovin y’all and wishin y’all the VERY BEST. Y’all are all in my prayers every night.