Profile For millionmiler24

millionmiler24's Info

Des Moines, IA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 6 months ago

millionmiler24's Bio

Apple to the core. Need I say more?!

millionmiler24's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

How To Overcome Nervousness During CDL Testing

I said on the diary page to you; step back, evaluate, give your self a day to clear all the negative trash from your head and if possible practice.

On which page did you state that in my diary? I didn’t see the reply there? Or was this response meant for someone else? I know from this thread that I am SO glad that day is FINALLY behind me.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on newbie starting in winter

I would advise on getting started anytime. Winter is only one season, and it's probably not as bad as you may imagine in your head right now as a perspective driver. I started my driving with CRST during the winter months and survived, so you can make it, too! It can be a challenge but many days out here are a challenge all by themselves.

Personally, I prefer the cold months! Why? There's less traffic, no bugs on the windshield, no sweating, much less construction, and the scenery always looks different with snow on it.

If the weather gets too gnarly, stop and park. It's as simple as that. The company and the customer would rather have the load arrive late and intact over never and in the ditch. I have never had any pushback by anyone in dispatch after I send in a message of, "The roads/wind/traffic is getting too dangerous for me. I'll keep you updated once I'm rolling again."

^THIS for sure.^

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Anyone @Pilot in Weatherford?

No sorry Weatherford Texas

Looking for assistance if anyone can help me bleed the air out of a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica?

We have a Weatherford in Ohio; I'm not far..

That the right one??

~ Anne ~

Thats not too far from where I am from originally. I am originally from Fort Worth.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

On the road training question

I understand that after school almost all companies require students to spend some time or a certain number of miles with a trainer or finisher. I also understand the first portion of that time or mile is done as a solo truck with the trainer being awake and in the right hand seat while the student operates the truck. My question is this. I've seen some companies have a policy about occupying the upper bunk while the truck is in motion, so do they expect the trainer and student to share the lower bunk during team phase, or how does that work during training?

You are correct, but durin the solo phase, once you are done with your shift, the trainer will have you park the truck SAFELY and LEGALLY and y'all both sleep at the same time, the trainer in the lower bunk and you in the top bunk.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking About Leasing With Prime

Real Diehl

Didn't know about the new policy and that's awesome honestly. That's really all we wanted lol. Now that we know that, I don't think leasing will be something we do. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with it and I don't want to have worry about Fuel, Lumpers, repairs and a truck note. Honestly when a time does come where we outgrow company,I'd rather see if I could go through Freightliner or Peterbilt firsthand to lease.

If hometime is your main concern, why not stay with PRIME INC and see if they have a dedicated account they can put you on that will get you home more often?

Also forgot to mention: Stay COMPANY drivers.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking About Leasing With Prime

Real Diehl

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Thinking About Leasing With Prime

Hi guys. Newbie trucker here, 6 months in and me and my girlfriend have been considering leasing with PRIME INC after a year. But what concerns me is Success Leasing which kinda seems like a scam and the fact that I've heard that one of us would have to be company and one the lease operator. Any advice? Thanks alot

Stay Company drivers if you don’t want to wreck yourselves financially. ALL lease programs are scams to favor the company.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Mom died tonight

Thank you all. Had too drive 1600 miles back to prime. Cit is taking 2 days to clean out my truck... Then flying home Saturday

I have arranged most of the funeral arrangements by phone. Thanks for.your support. I received a ton of messages and emails... But I am not ready to talk to anyone. Sorry The last 6 months or so have been very trying and if disconnected from so many people because I didnt have patience enough to deal with anything. Even friendships. Sorry

No need to apologize for anything. This job has kept me disconnected from the world because I am way to darn busy all the time. Anyway my condolences and one thing I know is your mother was one lucky lady to have such an amazin daughter like you. She will always be with you in spirit.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

The Sad Loss Of Our Friend "Rickipedia" Rick Stern

rick3.jpg

Rick Stern, known fondly as "Rickipedia" here at Trucking Truth, recently passed away. Rick was an influential contributor and supporter of Trucking Truth for over ten years!

The following is a statement from his good friend:

So who was Sick Rick?

Born September 12th, 1960, passed July 6th, 2021, Rick Stern, AKA Sick Rick, was a legend in many communities.

Rick was a recovering member of AA, sober for 20 years on December 7th, 2020. While that should be enough to give tribute to a person, it's fair to say he excelled at anything he put his mind to.

If you needed a computer fixed or had a tech question, Rick was the guy you went to. He has forgotten more than most of the so-called experts can remember.

Rick was into guns and wanted them to be PERFECT. So he learned gunsmithing.Again, he forgot more than most gunsmiths know.

After twenty-plus years in the tech field fixing computers and network problems, Rick was ready to hang it up. His goal was to drive trucks cross country. So he studied, and he studied some more and got his CDL.

Rick became an expert in the trucking community ( having never gotten that trucker's job ). He learned driving skills, laws, and regulations. He did what he typically did in Sick Rick fashion….. He got involved in the community to help and passed his knowledge on to others. I know that his personality could be …. rather harsh. But he was there to help, for free and for fun. He put his ego aside… he was here to help and assist every person on this board.

Love him or hate him, Rick Stern was a brilliant and articulate human being. He called you out on your **** when he had to but helped you through your problems whenever he could.

Rest in peace, my brother.

Your friend Huck (Gravedigger)

Rick was truly one of a kind. He can not be replaced.

I am especially fond of Rick because he believed, as I do, in giving people the cold, hard facts and unfiltered opinions they need to make the best decisions for themselves. You may not like the answer and you may not like the straight-shooting style, but you could always count on getting the very best information Rick had, and his best effort every time.

Rick is a legend at Trucking Truth. Rick put in so much hard work to help our community for so many years. He volunteered his time because he wanted to be part of the community, and because he cared. I will forever be grateful to him for that.

The last exchange I had with Rick was an enjoyable and spirited conversation about the government, the schools, and today's society, followed by several pictures of his incredible collection of firearms. I laugh about that now with fondness, knowing it was classic Rick and an appropriate ending to his last chapter with us.

Thanks, Rick, for everything. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

Sadly and sincerely,

Brett Aquila
Owner and founder of Trucking Truth

rick1.jpg

I’m in total shock here. Rick was one of the most LEGENDARY (Caps in his honor) Members/Moderators on here. His extreme wealth of knowledge was totally unmatched by anyone in this industry. Now my anniversary day with CRST will live in TT infamy. He will be truly missed anywhere on here. One thing though, he will always still be with us in spirit.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Need Suggestions

Hello, I no longer drive but I am case manager at homeless shelter in Las Vegas. I have some guys with clean DL looking to drive. We run into problems since some have not worked in a few years, so companies will not hire them. Can you suggest companies that may take them on and train to get there CDL? Even with limited work history.

Thanks and as always, stay safe! Mike

Not sure but have them give CRST a shot.

Posted:  6 months ago

Does your license come in the mail?

@Millionmiler24 ... HOW DID YOU DO IT ?!?!

Thanks, ~ Anne ~

ps: A HUGE success story .. started at CRST ... homeless; now quite the established citizen out yonder. Look him UP on here!

07/06/2017:

I got to sleep in til 0800 to be at class for the Final day of orientation. We went through a couple more videos and then we went to meet our driver managers and my lead driver is now in PA and will be down here within the next 36 hrs to get me. I am to follow up with my student coordinator and my sub for my driver manager since she is on vacation until 07/17/2017 (wow thats a lot of 7's....I think I need a load to Vegas now. rofl-1.gif ). Anyway, I got my new CRST hat today and I love this thing. I am SO glad to be a part of CRST now. Best of all now after almost 10 MONTHS without a good job, I am now EMPLOYED again. I owe you all a lot for this. Thanks SO MUCH!!!!! I love you all.

smile.gifthank-you.gifthank-you-2.gif1499387108.5347.jpg

CRST and NADTA has been SO AWESOME throughout this entire process. I thought today I wouldn't be able to receive my Hard Copy CDL because I found out that the shelter won't forward my license to CRST. I explained to them the gravity of the situation, however the shelter don't care that that license is a $15,000 piece of plastic that I NEED to drive. I let my recruiter know about this yesterday and today, she told me that I could get a P. O. Box and then convert that to a PHYSICAL address to put on your CDL as long as you DON'T tell the DMV that the PHYSICAL address is also your P. O. Box. Well, CRST advanced me the money and now I have a legitimate address here in Cedar Rapids about a block and a half from the terminal! I so love this. In case you are wondering how to put a po box on your license set up like a PHYSICAL address, look at the following example:

Your Name

1234 Anywhere Lane # 6789

New York, NY, 12345-6789

^^^^^PUT THIS ON YOUR CDL. DON'T TELL THE DMV ITS A PO BOX.^^^^^

And for a MAILING address:

Your Name

P. O. Box 6789

New York, NY, 12345-6789

If they have to have a MAILING address that is NOT a PHYSICAL address to send your HARD COPY to, use the MAILING address format above.

At least here in Iowa, how it works is you use the PHYSICAL address of the BUILDING the POST OFFICE is in followed by the # sign, then your PO Box number, then City, State and the Zip code of your PO box and then the last 4 AFTER the dash is your PO box number also.

For the Mailing address, just like ANY PO box you write a letter to. Its the same everywhere. Anyway, I finally have gotten over EVERY hurdle I was worried about now. Anyway I am so thankful for CRST I sure hope I stay with them the next 10 years MINIMUM. After everything they have done for me, I OWE them so much. They WILL be paid back BIG TIME. Anyway, thank you all so much also for leading me this direction. Thank God, those 2 churches and the homeless outreach center I was with in Stuart, FL, my BEST friend there that is the Director of Client Services that all helped me get here to Iowa to restart my journey. ANY way I can pay you all back, Please let me know. I would be MORE than glad to do so. Updates on here will be scarce until I can get my first hometime here at the terminal here in C. R. so If I am not on here as often as I want to be, I will update you all on my first hometime which should be after my 28 days is up, then I come back to CR, get my hard copy license, then I upgrade, then I go with my Co Driver for 2 weeks and then I get routed BACK to CR for 5 days off. THAT will be when my next update is on here. I will try to keep a log of everything that goes on here and then transfer the daily updates to here on my hometime. Until then, PLEASE stay SAFE out there at ALL TIMES and remember: millionmiler24 loves you ALL!!!!!

smile.gifthank-you.gifthank-you-2.gif

Page 9 of my diary.

Check out both of those. If the copy and paste didn't work or is illegible then click that link to go to Page 9 of my training diary and you will find the answer you seek.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS PRE-COVID so this way MAY NOT still work.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Just wanted to say thanks

Good luck and best wishes for success.

Use the search bar to locate the CRST posts by Millionmiler. He has had a very positive experience with CRST and will be very helpful as you take this journey.

Safe travels.

G-Town is 100% correct here. I am glad to help any way I can.

My trainin diary albeit a bit outdated (2017)

There is a link to my diary. Just to let you know I am a VERY BUSY driver but will do what I can to answer any questions you may have about CRST. 😜

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

Hey millionmiler! Congrats on the apartment! It sounds like everything is going great for ya!

Make sure you're having plenty of fun out there! Weird advice, right? I say that because I know you're working hard and you're dedicated to your company and your profession. You're serious about being the best you can be.

So the biggest risk for a guy like you is burnout. Run hard enough, but not too hard. Take time off, enjoy that apartment.

Oh....and don't get caught up in all the glitz and glamour of Des Moines!!

Awesome hearing from ya man. Your story is one of my favorite.

Hey Brett I sent you an email. Please let me know when you receive it. Thanks.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Game: What are your goals?

A.) Get MY CDL A when my son turns 18 and takes off for the Air Force (his latest choice....!) 1/28/2022...thereabouts.

b.) Keep this little house (home) on the hill, with too much to mow . . . and enjoy the great outdoors; had a blast hiking yesterday.

c.) This ^^^^ .. I really wanna join the ranks.

ps: Oh yeah, d.) Meet Todd Holmes, TomCougar, Purple Preston, et al~!

~ Anne ~

If you do the ps part of this post make sure to bring backup. Y’all will need it I’m sure.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

What kind of tunes yall like to listen to OTR?

Here are my satellite radio saved stations.

1. Garth brooks
13. ESPN
14. Fox Sports
15. College sports
16. NFL radio
17. MLB network
18. Live sports channel

I also listen to a lot of the stand up comedy stations.

BUMP for recent thoughts

Anyway I have recently switched to Amazon Music and Garth Brooks is at the top of my list also. I’ve also been listening to the music from the Eddie and the Cruisers movies. Those have an excellent soundtrack. I will still listen to JUST ABOUT anything with some notable exceptions: I ABSOLUTELY will NOT listen to anything sad, religious, any lullabies or anything that reminds me of a tough time in my life. 2 tunes that fit that bill are The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney and Oh My Darling Clementine. I absolutely can’t stand those 2 tunes.

The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney was playing on the radio when a family friend drove me home from the hospice center that my father was in the night my father passed on.

Oh My Darling Clementine, my Mother would play that too much and every time I heard that tune it would make me bust out crying. I don’t know why but I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE that tune. It’s the ABSOLUTE WORST tune ever conceived. My life would be better if it never existed. Sorry if me and anyone here has a difference of opinion about this but I’m set in my ways and will never change them.

Basically ANYTHING that makes me cry like a little baby or get me emotional on that level I ABSOLUTELY will NEVER listen to and that’s a NO GO. I am a man, NOT a baby. I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE crying and gettin emotional. I don’t have a problem when other people do, I just don’t want it to happen to me. There is more to life than moping around all the time. I am someone that would rather bring HAPPINESS and PEACE to the world.

Here are my satellite radio saved stations.

1. Garth brooks
13. ESPN
14. Fox Sports
15. College sports
16. NFL radio
17. MLB network
18. Live sports channel

I also listen to a lot of the stand up comedy stations.

MM, I actually have a 'cache' of Y/T videos that MAKE me cry.. and sometimes I just wanna.

Laura, I love your taste; as well!!!

~ Anne ~

ps: due to my 'age' ... a LOT of 80's dance tunes make me smile!! << Then again, I'm driving a PC still; not a rig, LoL!!

Eddie and the Cruisers atw.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

To hazmat or not to hazmat

So, I was offered a hazmat load, but declined. I am hazmat certified, but have never done a hazmat load. My company has a hotline to guide me on which placards to place. Still, I don't feel comfortable. I earned my endorsements on the written almost two years ago. My question is, would you suggest to take a hazmat load, and freshen up on some of the requirements? Or, is it something that I should spend time with a hazmat mentor?

I’ll keep it plain and simple: If you don’t feel COMFORTABLE and SAFE then DONT DO IT.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

First Incident as a new Driver. Will I get fired?

Exactly. I’m not swerving out of the way for anybody. Whenever I encounter a driver like that flying through a yard when it’s tight, I’ll come to a stop. Not slam on my brakes but come to a stop and let him figure it out. And then continue on. Never let a driver rush or bully you into doing something that will make you uncomfortable.

What bumped the other guy's trailer, your truck or your trailer?

Just go through all the reporting processes: call the accident number, message dispatch, take lots of pictures.

You should be fine since you're a new driver. It could have been much worse. Next time, if you're where you should be, don't swerve out of the way.

For sure. One thing my dad always made sure I learned was never get in a big hurry because it leads to mistakes 100% of the time. He always told me: “Son, if you only learn ONE thing from me ever learn THIS: Don’t do it fast, Do it RIGHT.”

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Questions about local driving

Thanks, Steven. I once worked as a temporary USPS postman during the holiday season, 1995, and the local post office supervisor gave me, the newbie, the most physically-demanding walking-loop delivery routes in town. It was often challenging because sometimes I would have a different route everyday and go into unknown territory. I did not get the preferred driving-only rural/semi-rural routes much: the seniors with union representation got those cushy routes where they just sit in the delivery truck or jeep and drive up to the mailboxes.

I could probably do Regional for some time before graduating to Local then going onto a non-driving job as Dispatcher, Load Planner or Logistics Manager. Will major carriers generally require any OTR (long-haul) experience at all for hiring non-drivers as Logistics Managers?

Is Regional to Local to Logistics Manager a possible carrier path?

How about just regional directly to non-driving?

Non-driving jobs are most desirable for the natural homebodies like me. They seem like the typical 9-5 daily local commute jobs. I love the simple pleasure of hiking on the local hillside trail with a dog after work. Some here are romanced by the adventure of dieseling in a big rig all over America in many different adverse conditions. Wondering if you can pull that heavy load up a steep grade and get back down safely. Sometimes this lifestyle entails the horror of trying to find safe parking places overnight, dealing with low bridges, being in unfamiliar crime-ridden areas or getting totally lost. For me, being based in Texas and doing no greater driving ranges than Regional routes would keep me out of those congested and crime-ridden big cities of the ocean coastal areas and of the Great Lakes areas. There are seldom mountain driving, desert driving and severe winter driving conditions in the south too. This latest Texas Big Freeze in one notable exception. The warm and flat south, think Get My Kicks on Route 66, seems to be the most desirable or favorable trucking territory in Lower 48 America. I've driven to California to Georgia a couple time over Route 66 even in the dead of winter. A cake walk in a car of pickup truck with a landscaping trailer even. There were a few mountains in Flagstaff, Arizona and in New Mexico but nothing major. I doubt if a Regional driver out of Texas would ever have to drive in the Rockies of Colorado

I view the prospect of driving as an experience ticket to get to those more desirable non-driving motor carrier positions. My mother once had a real estate man would drove a fancy 1976 Cadillac Seville. He told us he drove trucks for a while then got into the real estate business. I suppose he was more financially successful as a realtor than as a truck driver back in the 1970's. He,age 45 back in 1981, had a wife and three boys.

Truck driving is/was a stepping stone or a way to make a living on the way to to something else for many. Many young and new celebrity rock and roll musicians did heavy road touring early on then graduated to the more comfortable home life of a recording studio or solo career later on. People can get totally burned out being on the road too long. Prolonged road life whether being a touring rock star or a long-haul trucker has been the substance-abuse death of some too. The road life can stand in the way of other human endeavors as family life or taking Rover to the local dog park after work each evening. A truck can be a rolling jail sentence for some.

As the Jody cadences we used to sing in the army, leave that toughest stuff (airborne ranger, long-haul driver) to the young and the bold.

Brah, I’m gonna be blunt here: if you are REALLY serious about this answer us one question TRUTHFULLY for once: Are you REALLY Todd Holmes? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

What kind of tunes yall like to listen to OTR?

Here are my satellite radio saved stations.

1. Garth brooks
13. ESPN
14. Fox Sports
15. College sports
16. NFL radio
17. MLB network
18. Live sports channel

I also listen to a lot of the stand up comedy stations.

BUMP for recent thoughts

Posted:  8 months ago

Where’s everyone at what’s you 20 how’s the weather??

On weather shutdown due to Winter Conditions at the Lincoln Monument Rest Area in Laramie WY.

At least it's pretty out there~!! Stay safe & warm; I hate this weather. (And since I've got a helluva cold, doesn't help.) I plan on sleeping in tomorrow...WAY in. Let us know when you are 'out.'

On another note;

Anyone hear from Old School ??? It's been a few days since he's stopped in; wonder how the weather is, in HIS part of Texas?!?

~ Anne ~

Well we got out of that but we are now shut down again due to chain laws over Donner Pass. We are at the Loves in Fernley NV.

Never HAVE been a party to a chaining. Didn't ride w/the other half back in those days, couldn't. Kids. Dang, man.. PLEASE BE SAFE. I really do not KNOW THAT terrain / area, besides.... Google and articles. I wish y'all safe.

Sicker than shxx right now; tested NEGATIVE for the Vid. Feel like smack. Someday, I'll learn how to chain, perhaps! Couldn't even bump a dock in an auto. RN.

Please stay safe; I have a couple of people to talk to that drive myself as well.... just been toooooooo sick TO FEEL IT. No clue. Please stay safe, y'all. Woke up from a 'nap' and going to try to catch another, in the 'downbed' so as not to get the hubby sick. We usually sleep in different rooms anyway, LoL~!

'What a drag, it is, getting old.' No 'mother's little helper' meds here; just need some Pepto and Mucinex.. or more of. I'll be fine.

Be safe; getting caught up tmrw.. plan to, anyway.

~ Anne ~

I hope ya get to feelin better. I’ll certainly pray for ya. 😜