Profile For millionmiler24

millionmiler24's Info

millionmiler24's Bio

Became homeless in 2016 and looking to get back into trucking to get myself out of this situation. I figured this site is by far the best route to get myself out of this situation and back into making some good money so I can buy me a house, a car, and have a better life where I can finally be alone. As of June 9th 2017, I have been accepted to restart my CDL training with CRST Expedited Trucking out of what is now going to be my new hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA (at least for BARE MINIMUM 1 year). As of June 30th, 2017 I have now REACQUIRED my Class A Iowa CDL through NADTA (North American Driver Training Academy) and CRST. Also as of 01/04/2018, I have now been approved through CRST's Safety Department to become a Lead Driver which is our version of a trainer. I have now as of 04:00PM CST on January 12, 2018 been officially certified as a Lead Driver. I thank everyone here at this site for their support that they have given me to restart my journey. I have prayed to God and he has answered my prayers. Maybe when I save up enough cash to buy a home, I want to move to Louisville, KY and have a reasonably nice home, nothing too extravagant.

millionmiler24's Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 days, 17 hours ago

A Summary of My 1st Year in Trucking And Why I Returned - article by MillionMiler24

My first year summary over the road:

"OHGODWHATDOIDOWHATDOIDO?!?"

Good write up.

Lol Thanks. 😁 Much appreciated.

Posted:  1 week ago

I am so proud of you Million Miler. I do indeed remember your ordeal in trying to help the 2 roommates and what a predicament it put your whole life in.

You worked your way out of an abyss and you're an inspiration. You show that it is possible to get second chances and be a successful top tier driver. One of these days when you're in Cedar Rapids, I'd really like to meet up with you.

I would love that as well. I would also love to buy you lunch. There are several great restaurants there in Cedar Rapids that if you haven't tried, I am sure you would love.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Milllionmiler24

I have to be honest, I have only been on this site for a few months, and reading all your advice and replies, I would have never guessed how you to from where you were, to where you are. I am very impressed with your drive and commitment. You always help others, as your wrote (and I summarize) to pay it forward.

Congrats on your first year with CRST, and many more years of windshield time.

Safe Travels Chris

Much appreciated and thanks for your service. 😁

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Great article. As the others have already stated, your story is truly the gold standard of inspirational. Your success is well deserved. May you travel many more miles safely.

Drive Safe and God Speed

Thanks Patrick, much appreciated. I sure intend to.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Old School, I sure hope the 1st time we ever meet will be under much better circumstances than what you mentioned here above. I still would love to meet you someday and buy you the best lunch you ever had. Thanks so much for always bein there for me and for bein such a legendary inspiration for me over the last 15 months that I have been a member here.

G-Town, I have said it before and I am goin to say it again: If it wasn't for your legendary advice when I was goin through NADTA, I would not be here now. I don't know if CRST does any Walmart loads or not but if I ever get a load up there to your DC I so would love to meet you also. I still owe ya a steak. 😁

Jeremy I am so glad my words inspired you to pull the trigger on this and start a great career with CRST. You sir are one of the reasons I am still alive. If I get to help people like I have done with you, that is what motivates me to keep on truckin and livin.

Brett, thanks so much for everything over the last 15 mos. As I stated in my article if it wasn't for TT I wouldn't be on the right path now. I owe yall more than I could ever possibly imagine. If I am ever up there in your area, I would love to meet you also. I just hope my advice I have tried to give people since I have been a forum member here has been useful to everyone. I know it's been inspirational and I am so glad to do it. I don't know how to live in any other way.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

When Written Directions & GPS unit BOTH fail?

Check every stop on Google maps, satellite view. Make sure you know how to get in. Run directions on Google maps. Look at the route from the highway. Compare to GPS. Make sure GPS is taking you to the right address. In the case of the exit, go to the next one where you can get off and back on in the other direction. Use all tools you have available.

Yes, sir. I also need to compare them with my written notes. Trip planning is starting rank much higher on my priority list than what my trainer has shown me.

We newbs are in for some edjumication in the coming months, aren't we Jeremy?

Brother, that's an understatement!

rofl-3.gif

See, I want to learn everything - just dont want to learn any of it the hard way. If only I could figure out the formula for that...

This for sure. As Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge: "You improvise, overcome, and adapt." That is what you're 1st year in truckin is about. 😁

I wish I felt that confident right now. Your examples got me here. And you're one of the few experienced drivers I've met in real life who isn't arrogant or complacent about the job. So, I'm hoping to have your attitude after I pass the one-year mark.

(Is it arrogant to just proclaim that I'll see the one-year mark? I hope not, because that's nothing but stubborn determination making that claim.)

Just keep up the great attitude you have now and you will still have it when you get to the end of your 1st year. 😁

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

When Written Directions & GPS unit BOTH fail?

Jeremy my advice to you is don’t sweat the Small Stuff. You know yourself, true, but I also know that if you apply all kinds of added pressure; you run the risk of burn-out.

Even keel Brother. Even keel.

Exactly this. It is easy to get caught up, and every little mistake seems that much bigger. Eventually becoming a distraction, and potential big mistake. To me, it seems like you are trying to "measure up," to Gtown, Old school, and the other vets. Stop! The only person you need to measure up to, is yourself.

You can plan out your arse, every mile, every turn, but Mr Murphy will sometimes throw a wrench into things. Don't beat yourself up, because something out of your control sent you on a scenic detour. You adapted, and overcame. You won! You just went into extra innings. 😊

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Can You Spot The Impostor?

Hey Heavy C...I was hoping to amuse with that!

Yeah that one I shot is the Baby Pool version. There are others with 5 points and two lanes. Pennington 202&206 is fun during rush hour. My favorite (tongue-in-cheek) is on 322 through Rowan University. Impossible to get through it without running on the sidewalk. Lots of fun on a Saturday morning in the spring.

I’d like to see some of your spots. We too have stores where a 48’ Wagon is recommended...that’s as far as it gets. The WM 48’ vans are for running NYSTW doubles. I’ve only been under them 6x in over 5 years.

I’ll send the second set of video tomorrow. Thanks for commenting.

I am now subscribed to ya on YouTube, G-Town. 😁

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Is it appropriate to give your fleet manager a gift

I've bought mine pizza from Papa Johns when I was on the yard.

Hes a genuinely nice guy, so I don't mind at all taking care of him; he takes care of me.

I have taken my FM to lunch before when I have been on hometime in Cedar Rapids.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Happy 4th of July

Amen to this. I sure hope yall all had a very happy 4th.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY AND THANKS TO ALL VETERANS AND DRIVERS FOR YALLS SERVICE TO OUR WONDERFUL COUNTRY.

Sorry about all the caps however I love this day so much. 😁

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Watching The Fireworks

I caught a few fireworks last night when we were fueling at the Kwik Star on I380 Exit 13 in Cedar Rapids.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Just curious to know what's goin on.....

No, you did nothing wrong. It was just that one conversation I set for moderation. Everyone, even myself believe it or not, has to have their comments approved. Of course I'm approving them manually so I laugh when I have to moderate my own comments. But that was the case this time - it was that lease conversation that was moderated.

Ok, thanks so much. As I stated earlier, I was worried for a second there but now I can be relieved. Anyway did you get my e-mails about that article? If so did you read it? What did you think?

I did get it but I haven't read it yet. I'll get back to you later tonight on that.

Cool. Thanks so much. When it comes to articles I don't have yall's talent as a writer, however I wanted to take a shot at it and see if the newbies here could learn from it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Just curious to know what's goin on.....

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Just curious to know what's goin on.....

Sometimes, certain topics get flagged, because of the potential for, shall we say, heated discussions.

Myself, I had a rough period, where I was moderated, and rightfully so.

I wouldn't worry about it. You be solid.

Likely the Lease OP thread

Ok, thats kinda what I thought. I was worried I had done something wrong. I love yall to much to make yall mad. I just wanted to be sure.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Not a standard Lease purchase

However from my searching I believe I’ve come across a lease/purchase company that is different.

Welcome James. I had to laugh when I read that because that's always the core theory behind every decision for anyone that has ever become an owner operator or lease operator. They all think they found that one magic opportunity that's different than the 99.9% of the opportunities out there. Somehow it's that one diamond in the rough that's going to mean fantastic success.

No, this is different because:

• I'm going to pay cash for my truck so I won't be in debt
  • I'm going to book my own loads
  • I'm going to do my own mechanical work
  • I'm working for a company without any company drivers
  • I'm only going to haul in one particular region of the country
  • I'm not going to lease the truck from the company I'm hauling for

........and on and on. Everyone has that one idea that's just way better than the rest.

I’ve read a lot of negatives and I understand all of them

To be honest, you're still thinking about leasing a truck so you don't understand all of them just yet.

The bottom line has been the same for almost 40 years, maybe more. The average profit margin in trucking is 3%. Over time that's what you can expect if things go really well for you. You'll make 3% more than you would as a company driver. Of course for at least half of the people out there it doesn't even go that well, and for many they wind up in a complete financial mess.

There's just very little upside and a huge downside to it. Stick with being a company driver. If you want to own your own business don't choose a commodity industry like trucking or farming or convenience stores. You have to find something where you can really differentiate yourself. Trucking just isn't it.

Now our policy is not to talk about leasing or owning trucks because it turns into a big fight every time. So we're going to end this conversation right here. Do a search in the search box at the top of the page for "leasing a truck" or "owning a truck" and you'll find tons and tons of conversations about it.

Basically my advice is to keep doing your research until you've determined that buying or leasing a truck just isn't a good business opportunity. Then you'll know you understand the situation well enough.

Hey Brett, just curious: did you get my e-mails?

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Just curious to know what's goin on.....

Hey Brett, question for ya: why has the last 2 times I have commented on a post been flagged for moderation? Have I done something wrong here or is this just somethin new you are testin with TT? I am not mad or anything, just curious what's goin on.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Not a standard Lease purchase

No, this is different because:

• I'm going to pay cash for my truck so I won't be in debt
  • I'm going to book my own loads
  • I'm going to do my own mechanical work
  • I'm working for a company without any company drivers
  • I'm only going to haul in one particular region of the country
  • I'm not going to lease the truck from the company I'm hauling for

I’ve read a lot of negatives and I understand all of them

Agree here totally 100%. BTW Brett, did you get my e-mail? Anyway never go lease. I have myself learned the hard way that it's not worth it so please don't do it. You have to be Stone Cold lucky to even have the same profit margins that Brett is mentioning here. Also if you're truck breaks down your screwed because the company doesn't pay for repairs, you do.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Put your phone down and help!

I've never wanted help. Though if someone has offered it I just go with it and give them a thankful nod.

And I've been on both sides of the "helping" discussion. When I was with my first company I literally got in this woman's truck and put it In the door for her. Now hind sight being 20/20 I wouldn't do that again. However at the time my warehouse guy's begged me to do it because she had been trying for damn near an hour and they wanted to get a move on wwith unloading. And she directly asked me if I would because she just couldn't figure it out. Stupid move on my part because had something happened I would've been screwed. Now fast forward to this last year when I was doing jockey work. I sat and watched countless drivers back Into our docks. Many many time blocking driveways. And so many of those times they've asked if I could either assist or put the trailer in the door for them. My only answer now is nope. Two reasons. One my company has a policy against such things. And two, when I think back to that woman I helped before, what did she learn by me doing that? Nothing. New drivers need to learn. I'll make sure they don't screw up my equipment next to them, but helping I just won't do anymore.

But your spot on about the ones recording it to post on YouTube if something happens. It's ignorant and childish.

Hey Brett, can we get a "Like" button on here for this response? I agree here 100%.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Is it appropriate to give your fleet manager a gift

What kind of gift would be appropriate? Could I go all out for a gift or could I keep it simple?

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Kudos to Swift

Not just at Swift, G-Town. You have made lifelong friends here on TT also. Myself for sure. I still haven't forgotten. If it wasn't for your advice, I would not be where I am at today. 😁 I owe you more than I could ever repay.

I agree, I have made many lifelong friends here. Thank you, I appreciate that.

MillionMiler you are teaching new drivers the "right way" to conduct their business. "Priceless" and we all thank you for that and your continued commitment to safety and excellence.

It certainly is an honor to continue to be of great service on here and to this industry and country. You are so welcome my friend. 😁