Profile For Greg M.

Greg M.'s Info

Milford, OH

Experienced Driver

2 years, 1 month ago

Greg M.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Greg M.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

My satanic fifth wheel

Just a thought, but I wonder if the PB Blaster may be part of the problem. PBB is a very thin, light weight lubricant. Things like fifth wheels need heavy duty lubrication that stays in place, hence thick nasty fifth wheel grease. I wonder if the PBB may be flushing out the grease and allowing things to bind?

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

My satanic fifth wheel

How in the hell did that happen the Dolly's got cranked up that high?

When the trailer is way too high or low that usually means the lot has high and low spots and the yard switcher did not adjust the legs after moving the trailer. We have a row in our yard where the legs come down in a drainage depression. If the yard guy did not adjust them you can not even get the tires under the trailer. Thats when I flag one of them down and ask them to lift it so I can crank them down with the weight off.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

My satanic fifth wheel

Just a couple thoughts:

1) Before you push the automatic release button you must be in neutral with the tractor brakes set. 2) You have to keep the button pushed until you hear the fifth wheel release. I always roll down my window and listen for it. 3) On my Freightliner a dash message pops up telling you that the fifth wheel is released, are you seeing any indications on the dash that anything has happened? 4)After I hear it release I always put it into gear before releasing the parking brake.

Posted:  1 month ago

Storage in New Cascadia

I thought it was just me with the closet. I have a pair of jeans and a rain jacket hanging up and a couple towels on the bottom and it is stuffed full.

Guessing you have those overhead storage bins? The ladder.. took me several months to stop thinking any day I was going to have a skull fracture.

Those bins are larger than you might think but seriously difficult to organize effectively. I use 2 different sizes of sterilite brand totes in mine with not much success. The closet is smaller than the one in the 2016 too.. I've given up on hanging anything in it and squeeze a large duffel on end in there. Sad, I know.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

CMV Weight Issues

My first job out of college in 1984 was as a dispatcher with an old LTL company McLean Trucking. They used to do this with LTL freight!! Even had a long straight away in the back of the yard nicknamed "The Drag Strip". Thing looked like an airport runway with all the skid marks from locking up the pre ABS rigs.

Hate to see what things looked like at the other end when they unloaded. Probably also explains the huge fenced in Over/Short/Damaged cage they had in the middle of the dock.

You could just try a few hard stops. That ought to take care of it. smile.gif

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

VA Slow Roll Sat. 3/2: I-95 Doswell Truck Stop to Downtown Richmond at 11 a.m.

If you combined the IQ's of this group of idiots, you couldn't come up with the number for the legal and safe air pressure for 1 steer tire.

confused.gif

Now that is some funny stuff right there.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

VA Slow Roll Sat. 3/2: I-95 Doswell Truck Stop to Downtown Richmond at 11 a.m.

I got stuck in the "slow roll" around Indy last week. Supposedly they made 2 laps around 465. Mainly O/Os the trucks having all the stereotypical chrome, lights and train whistle horns that they kept blowing.

Law enforcement was out in force and they had several large groups pulled over. They did pretty much stick to the right lane but it still made for a mess.

What I find ironic is that they claim to be this fiercely independent group, yet some of their major complaints are to have shippers, brokers, oil companies, etc treat them better. They basically are asking others to support their inefficient and financially ill concieved business model.

If they would just admit to themselves that they are hobbyists, and not the major players in the transportation industry they think they are, maybe the truth wouldn't hurt so much.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Don't think, just do as I say

I agree as well. I had one trainer tell me I was being "To cautious" in an unfamiliar truck stop. My second one went ballistic when I put a few gallons more fuel in one tank then the other.

I eventually decided the OTR training was not working for me. I told the training director that both those guys were nutcases and he basically agreed with me. He tried to talk me into staying but I was done. I do not recommend the course I took but my circumstances were a little different then most folks going through company training.

After 14 months solo with zero incidents, a quarterly safety award and numerous customer compliments phoned into the office, I don't think I was the problem.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CDL B DRIVER GOING FOR CLASS A

You may want to look at Dayton Freight. They are a very good company and I know that they hire Class B drivers and operate in your area. One of their recruiters calls me to check in about once a month so they definitely have a need for drivers.

I want to do exactly what your cousin did but haven't found a company to offer that in the Chicago area yet.

If your class B is current, you have recent experience, and a clean record, look for local companies that operate both box trucks and semis. Apply for a class B job driving the straight truck and there is a very good chance they will upgrade you if you express an interest and have shown a good work record.

I have a cousin who is the safety manager at a 50+ truck expediting company and he has a program he calls B to A. He gets a lot of drivers by hiring dump truck, school bus and other class B drivers and putting them through the program after they have been successful with the box truck.

Indeed.com is a good place to look.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CDL B DRIVER GOING FOR CLASS A

Indeed.com is a good place to look.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

W2 information

Just to be clear you did go through orientation with both companies and actually received paychecks?

Many times you are not an actual employee until later in the process depending upon what kind of training program you are in.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

CDL AUTOMATIC RESTRICTION

In her case you have 2 state bureaucracies involved so it is very possible the lack of a restriction made it through the process. She basically got lucky.

I would not try and use this as a work around to avoid the restriction because it likely won't work a second time.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

What State Are We In?

I have a motorcycle buddy who never knows where we are on trips. We ride a lot in the mountains of TN,NC,GA,SC,WV,VA and may be in several different states between stops. We will stop and he will ask "Are we still in KY? No Bob we are in GA." Also never remembers our route plans or where we are stopping for the night.

He also is very technology challenged. Except for Bob we all have satellite based GPS units. Bob just uses his phone and in the mountains there is often no cell service for miles. If we ever get mad at him and decide to ditch him it will take him a week to find his way home.

Don't be like Bob.

PS: That is me in the middle. Bob is on the right with the red bike.

0420668001551050241.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

LTL DAY CAB meals

My first sleeper did not have a fridge or inverter so I used one of the 12v coolers. On Mondays I would load it up with 3-4 frozen water bottles along with the rest of my food. That really helped it maintain temperature. I would leave it in the truck all week and toss it a couple more frozen ones on nights I made it home.

So I’m curious if their are any other extra board driver from an LTL carrier who run extrabord or don’t have a dedicated home daily route who have advice about meals on the road. We don’t many options and I want to eat healither are their any good fridges that fill in a day can currently have the Coleman cooler for drinks. If so any advice would be helpful wanting to eat healthier.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Was it something I said?

Seems like I may have come across as the drivers lounge bully but that was not my intention. I just thought I "made a funny."

What actually happened was that this guy "jumped line" by driving past all of us waiting our turn to turn left into the facility by going to the end of the street turning around and coming back and turning right ahead of us. He was bobtail while most everyone else in line had trailers.

Everyone saw what happened and by the time I dropped my trailer and got to the office he was getting called out on it by some of the other drivers. To lighten the mood I made the comment about the parade float going by. Everyone laughed and went about their business. Did not mean to offend anyone.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Was it something I said?

There are a couple guys like this that work out of our facility. I drive a Cascadia sleeper and I have enough room between rows to approach my spot on my right, go past it then start to execute a 180 to the left and get pretty much lined up for a straight in back. These guys have to jockey around for ever because they have so little room in front of them.

Personally I think stretched rigs with nothing over the overstretched frame is just silly looking. What is even more hilarious is many of them have tiny coffin sleepers on them. They have totally destroyed the turning radius of their truck over what? Nothing is gained. It just looks silly. If they stretched it and put a motorcycle lift back there, I would be like awesome. But, just a lot of empty space for no reason. And it does NOT look cool. Maybe in 1980 it was; then again, people thought fake wood pannelling on station wagons looked cool too.

Just my opinion, I am sure there are a people out there who thinks it looks cool. I’m a practical person.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Was it something I said?

He cutoff 4 of us and jumped ahead in the check in line. I think mine was the kindest comment he got.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Was it something I said?

Yesterday I referred to an owner operators ridiculously over-stretched and over chromed old KW as a "high school homecoming parade float." The look he gave me makes me think I may have crossed some sort of line.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Ice storm warning Chicago

I'm leaving Cincinnati tomorrow morning at 5 AM for an 11 AM delivery in Aurora, Ill. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Got a new truck this week

Got a call Monday morning to come in a little early because I was getting assigned a new truck. My old 2015 Cascadia was approaching 500K and had been in the shop several times recently.

Walked into shop and was handed the keys to this 2019 Cascadia. 1600 miles but I don't think it had ever been hooked to a trailer. It may look like a rental but I actually work for Ryder and this was ordered by my account. It is mine exclusively, until someone decides it isn't. Had my old truck about 7 months and no one else drove it except for the shop.

0069228001549128753.jpg0829113001549128786.jpg

My old truck was pretty bare bones and had I believe a 60 inch sleeper where this one has the full 72 inch. I can't believe how much difference that makes in the room you have inside.

I am only out 2-3 nights a week so I don't need all the bells and whistles but this does have a built in refrigerator and a 1800W pure sine inverter. It does not however have a bunk heater or an APU. That became an issue as I was getting ready to leave because the shop did not want to remove the idle restriction feature. They said it is bad for the truck, I said true but I am heading for Chicago and -25 degrees is bad for me! They finally agreed to remove it but it sounds like they are going to be adding at least a bunk heater.

Not sure what was behind the decision to give me the new one. My old truck has already been reassigned to someone who has been there a lot longer then my 10 months but I am not complaining.