Comments By Jeramy H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0811742001534642738-73226.jpg avatar
  • Jeramy H.
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Thanks guys! Thursday our class heads back to the Maverick campus in Little Rock and start load securement training for those that are going flatbed.

I spent today going through the pretrip with people still waiting to be tested. Just trying to help where I can until Thursday.

Still having fun and learning all I can.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

I very much appreciate it! I can honestly say I have not had thoughts of throwing in the towell yet. I have enjoyed everything so far. I tell myself often that this beats sitting in a cubicle anyday!!

I will read that commencement speach now.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

I appreciate it! Will be cool to get back to the Maverick campus and get my official job offer on Thursday.

I can honestly say the training here has been top knotch. As everyone has said, they train you just enough to get the CDL, and that is absolutely true. Still a ton to learn, but ready to soak up the knowledge like a sponge from wherever I can get it.

This is just one step in the process, but it feels great to have successfully completed it.

I will continue to update this diary all the way up to getting my own truck at least. I know the learning doesnt stop there by any means.

BIG shoutout to everyone that contributes to this site! All of the articles, the training information, just everything here has helped me a ton during this entire process so far. Hopefully me documenting my experiences here helps cintribute back to this community at least a little bit.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Training: First step complete... Many next steps to come...

Thank you! I just wrapped up testing. I PASSED!

Weight off my shoulders for sure!

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Just finished testing....

I PASSED!!

I will sleep good tonight!

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Stuck between prime or maverick

You can check on whay Maverick has available for you by going to maverickusa.com click on hiring map then put in your zipcode. That will show you what they have for your area.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Stuck between prime or maverick

Maverick sponsors us through Arkansas State University Newport campus. They have a house here that you stay in for free, breakfast and lunch provided during the week. It is a 4 week program. I start week 4 tomorrow, I am testing for my CDL tomorrow. The school has been good, thet teach the permit stuff, have a range to practice the backing maneuvers, and have road instructors to take you out on the road after you get your permit on Thursday that first week.

After school I will go back to the Maverick campus for a week of securement training since I am going flatbed. Then a paid week at home to transfer my CDL to my home state. Then 21 days out with a trainer, minimum 21 days, but that training can be longer if you or the trainer feel you need additional training. Then I get my truck.

They gave us a 50 dollar prepaid card in orientation (week before CDL school) then a 520 dollar prepaid card for CDL school. Pay after school is 600 a week until you get your truck as long as you are available to work.

All has been good so far for me.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Stuck between prime or maverick

I am currtntly in CDL school with Maverick. I did attend a week of orientation before school. That is all that I have experienced so far. If you have any questions just ask, I will answer with the limited knowledge I have so far.

I have a training diary going in the diary area of these forums. Might give some perspective of the process so far.

Both companies were on my short list as well. Both are awesome companies. For me it was the hometime that had me choose Maverick. I live about 30 miles south of Kansas City, Mavericks midwest regional was available to me which is a home most weekends account.

Tough choice for sure, both treat Veterans well (I am a Vet as well). Just find what works for you.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Training: First step complete... Many next steps to come...

Congrats!! I am currently in CDL school and scheduled to test on Monday. I have had all of the same thoughts you have had. Certainly much more to learn, but celebrate this big step as well. Simply knowing that there is a ton more to learn is a huge strength in our development.

So huge congrats to you, and I wish you the best as you continue your journey!

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

I appreciate it Joe! I cant wait to summon the dancing bananas!! :)

I am confident, but not ****y. I feel the school has done a good job getting us prepared.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Just me and one other guy are testing Monday. The rest of the class will be tested by Thursday they are saying. And yes, tomorrow is the end of week 3.

Fun thing is remnants of Hurricane Gordon is expected to bring lots of rain through Monday. Hoping to get a break on Monday to get a good pretrip inspection in without getting soaked.

Seems like this is your 3rd week, are you testing out early? Is the rest of the class testing Monday?

Good luck!

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Well said OS. That is how I look at it. I definitely dont want to be earning minimum money.

From what we have been told, the driver has to be available to drive the whole week. It is there for cases like a truck breakdown that prevents you from driving a few days. Situations like that.

From talking to experienced guys here, it is not hard to gross more than 1000 a week, even on the regional accounts.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Been practicing the 90 degree dock and offset back and getting road time all this week. I am feeling comfortable with all of the maneuvers. Been practicing the pretrip hard as well, and feeling confident. They asked me if I will be ready to test on Monday, and I said yes, so sounds like that is the plan.

I am still learning a ton and enjoying everything so far. Ready to get this CDL and move on to the next phase which will be load securement training since I am going flatbed. That starts next Thursday and will go 7 straight days. After that I have to go through orientation again since I missed a couple of days the first time with a family emergency. After that I go home for a week to transfer my CDL to my home state. Then 21 days out with a trainer. If all of that goes well I will get my truck after that.

I get my official job offer next Thursday after I graduate CDL school. I will get paid 600 a week while in training, and get reimbursed about 200 since I drove my personal vehicle instead of taking the greyhound. That 200 is the cost of a bus ticket. Once I get my truck I will be paid 52 cents a mile plus 2 cents for an intruductory performance bonus. That can go up to 6 cents based on the performance of the previous quarter. I get bumped to 54 cents a mile (plus up to 6 cpm of performance bonus) after 6 months.

Hope this helps someone out there, if you have any questions just ask.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

We have both at the school (Aeksnsas State University Newport). We are using 48 foot boxes with the tandems together and slid all the way back, and 2 flatbed trailers with split axels. Surprised me on how much longer it takes the split axles to turn. Good to have some variety.

I’m curious, are you training with a van trailer or a spread axle?

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

We should see our first paycheck one week after school.

Great to hear the info is helpful. I am learning a ton and really enjoying everything so far.

Enjoying the updates Jeramy. My recruiter called earlier this week informed me I should be ready to go around the end of September.

BTW did you get your orientation pay yet? or do they hold that till after CDL school?

Enjoy your weekend!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Its FRIDAY!! Another productive week almost in the rear view mirror. This week we practiced that 90 degree alley dock, pretrip, and had some time out on the road. I feel good about the alley dock and pretrip. The road time is very cool, but I need to work on smoothing out my shifting. These things shift very differently than a car. Hitting the throttle while trying to slow down and downshift just does not come natural, but I am getting better. I hope to have some road time today to get more practice on that.

Last night we got a nice surprise. One of the recruiters came out and took all 20 of us in school to dinner. Newport Arkansas is a small town, but El Puente here has some real good Mexican food.

Maverick continues to deliver on their promises, and even a few pleasant surprises.

I am heading home for the weekend after class today. We are having class on Monday, so I will be coming back down here Sunday afternoon. All good, I am sure the extra practice won't hurt anything at all.

You all have a great weekend!

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Today was the start of week 2 in CDL school at Arkansas State University (ASUN). Today I got to go out on the road for the morning. I am doing better shifying, but still need work on the downshifting. All Maverick trucks are automatic, so hopefully I dont lose these skills I am learning. My afternoon had me on the range practicing the 90 degree alley dock. Tough maneuver, but I am getting better. We will be practicing that move the rest of the week if we are not out on the road.

All is going well! I went home this past weekend, and hope for Labor day off for a few days home this coming weekend. But if not, thats trucking.

I hope this info is helping those that may be considering Maverick. Any questions just let me know.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

I chose to wait. For me I really liked the "home most weekends" and the higher starting pay ($.52 a mile for flatbed). But my circumstances allowed me to wait. Might be different for others. I can say thay I am completely happy with Maverick so far.

Been really looking at maverick and roehl are my main two that i am looking at have read your thread and was just wantong to know if you think it js worth waiting for training from maverick or go somewhere j can get in quicker

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Truth!!

To Tim, the original poster of this thread:

You can look on the bright side bro. Training at any company is far easier than following this thread. Sorry you got hijacked.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Thanks!

Yesterday they introduced the 90 degree docking maneuver to us and we had a couple of hours to practice that. Tough one with the small area you have to work. Will be practicing that on the range or getting "on the road" time all week next week.

I am really enjoying everything so far! I definitely enjoy this far more than sitting in my old cubicle staring at computer screens all day.

I drove home for the weekend. Good to see the family. I live about 6 hours away from Newport Arkansas where the CDL school is, not too bad of a drive.

I hope this info is helpful. If anyone has any questions just let me know. You all enjoy your weekend!