Comments By Kevin K

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0300588001568910989-74810.jpg avatar
  • Kevin K
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Trailer Socket and Pigtail

I pulled a trailer last night with a loose cover for the trailer socket. I assume it was a bad spring. The pigtail would not stay connected. I wedged a little something in between the plug and the socket and it stayed put until I got to my destination but I was worried it was going to pop out again. I was constantly checking my mirrors to catch a glimpse of a trailer light. Is there an good and easy fix for a loose cover like that?

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

I bet you wont click... 1st time posting.

Thumbs up on the tech school. Just some tips if you don't know:

Ask your instructors which companies hire right out of school. Some recruiters from those companies might visit your class.

Apply before you graduate if you find a couple you like.

Concentrate on getting a high GPA. Some companies ask about it on their job applications.

LTLs like Old Dominion hire students too if you want to stay local.

You might be surprised at how the doors will open for you. Good luck.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Returning to work after worker comp injury

In order to prepare for my company's orientation physical, I purchased 80 lbs. of hand weights from a sporting goods store, put them in a milk crate, and practiced lifting it. When the day came I knew I was ready.

Try to mimic the physical as much as possible on your own time. Have a friend spot you if you're worried. Be safe and good luck.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Truck Stop Trailer Swap Etiquette

I'm a linehaul driver. I do a meet and turn with another driver at a small truck stop that has become a popular place to swap trailers. By the time we get there, the place is pretty much full up with trucks parked for the night and R+L, UPS doubles, Averitt (that's me), etc. doing their meets. A few random four-wheelers pull in before they know what they're getting into.

It's something of a mess. The word cluster**** comes to mind, but after my fellow driver used the vulgar, hilarious, and completely appropriate term "circle j***" to describe it I can't think of it any other way. It's also unsafe and rude in my opinion to the owners of the business. I doubt many of us go in to patronize the convenience store and the fuel isles are usually vacant.

The safest and easiest way to drop my trailer is at the fuel isle. I only do it when at least two other lanes are still available. Sometimes the other driver will drop his there too. We make the switch, I run in to use the restroom, come back out to do my pre-trip, and get out of Dodge. I feel like a dink though. I'll buy a soda and a candy bar or a bag of chips once in a while but still none of this feels right to me.

I could make this my new fuel stop to justify my presence and ease my guilt but I prefer to fuel at the end of my run. Any experienced drivers who could chime in with some do's and don'ts for this situation would be appreciated.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Can You Spot The Impostor?

I'm a rookie driver who still struggles with backing. Thankfully, I'm a linehaul driver who only has to do it once or twice a day. If I want to get some backing practice in, I can always volunteer to switch trailers for an hour before my scheduled run.

It isn't just the ability to back into a tight spot like a pro that makes one a "real" truck driver. It's also the skills that aren't always so easy to spot, like always using the Smith System, doing a proper pre-trip, showing common courtesy to other drivers around you, etc.

The backing will get better with time. For now, I take pride in being a safe and efficient driver who respects my company's equipment, the customer's freight, and my fellow drivers.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Help! I’m the worst in my class at the reverse lane change!

As Susan said, the offset is basically two steps with minor adjustments. It may help to GOAL a couple times to see where your trailer is pointing in relation to the lane you are backing into. If the angle of the trailer looks too extreme you are oversteering.

If your tractor has power mirrors, back slowly and adjust the mirror so you can keep an eye on your trailer tandems. This might help you get a better perspective on where that trailer is pointing and heading.

If you've only been at it two days that's nothing. Don't lose confidence in yourself.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Merch?

...I always forget the "GO!"

0990058001526954407.jpg

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Merch?

I thought this was the logo?

It would look sharp on black caps and shirts....

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

I need some advice, please!

1. Recruiters are known for ad-libbing stuff just to get you in the door - that's kind of their job.

2. Backing is one of those things that develops over several months and maybe years for some of us.

3. Expect to feel rushed. Expect to feel stressed. Expect to be nervous. But also expect to succeed.

1. I learned this the hard way.

2. I am STILL learning this the hard way.

3. I hope I NEVER stop learning this.

Thanks, Old School

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Burning Bridges

I wish you well in your new position

Thank you.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Burning Bridges

Well that phone call I just had with him was certainly short and to the point lol. He didn't seem too happy. I can't blame him. I just wasted four weeks of the company's time.

No longer your issue, brother! You acted like a stand-up guy (very telling for your character that you were concerned about this) and you took appropriate action. However he took it, you did what you were supposed to do. And if it didn't go over well, that's just more proof that you made the correct decision with the company you chose. You deserve a kick-ass weekend, hope you have it!

Thank you. I've got a good 20+ years left in this industry. I hope this new job is my last job and I won't even care about switching.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Burning Bridges

Email is also good, however keep it short and to the point. Trust me Kevko, they are used to this.

Good luck!

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Burning Bridges

Calling them back to inform them of your decision is not only appropriate but a very easy step to take.

I thought a phone call would seem like taking the easy way out and an email would be more formal. I prefer email because it allows me make several points and say exactly what I want to say in the way I want to say it.

I just tried calling the TM but he was out of the office...

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Burning Bridges

Surely you didn't attend orientation and training at both...

I attended a three day orientation for the company at which I will be working. The company I turned down interviewed me, checked my background, and gave me a road test. They then asked me to give them a start date.

Both companies were aware that I had other offers on the table.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Burning Bridges

I just went through the hiring process at two well-known LTL companies, all the way through to the start date. I made my decision as to which one I wanted to work for and I am starting Monday. I sent a professionally-worded email to the terminal manager of the company that I turned down. I didn't receive an email or phone call back.

Did I handle this the right way? Should I call the terminal manager to make sure he received the email? I don't want to burn any bridges with this company. They would be at the top of my list if things don't work out at my new job.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Student in a private CDL school

I just got a call from a recruiter and was offered OTR at .66 cents a mile and after 6 months I could switch to a dedicated Family Dollar account or Dollar General account in the Midwest and be home every weekend.

What company is this? I haven't heard of anyone who would offer a driver fresh out of school .66 cpm for OTR. I would be wary of this.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Snow and Ice on Fifth Wheel

I have heard people say that packed snow kept the jaws from engaging properly, but that's something that you should always confirm before driving away anyway.

This was my concern. Don't need to drop a trailer my first year. Or ever, for that matter.

Thanks guys.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Snow and Ice on Fifth Wheel

Got in to work today and there was a few good inches of snow and ice on the fifth wheel. I managed to clean it off okay without taking off too much grease, but is there a proper way this should be done? It didn't seem right just leaving it. Or when you couple, does the trailer apron do all the work for you?

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Averitt vs. Old Dominion

I've been with Old Dominion running linehaul out of Chicago West for 7 months now they basically hired me right out of school as I only had 2 months driving with another company, and I would highly recommend going with OD as they are a great company to work for, my dad has been working for them for almost 2 years as a shop manager after 28 years at Con-way and loves it as well . Every terminal is a little different on how they handle things and how they train but I know our P&D trainees spend a month training with a couple different trainers so you can get different perspectives. We have great equipment compared to most other LTL companies we have 1k new trucks and countless new trailers and dollies coming in. Personally I would check and see if they have any linehaul openings but if you don't mind doing P&D it wouldn't be a bad way to get your foot in the door.

I don't see if taking years to get a linehaul spot as we are putting students right out of school on linehaul in the Chicago area and they are expecting a huge boom in freight in the region.

If you have any other questions I will try to answer them if possible.

Did you do a strength test before they hired you? I think it's the only other thing they might require of me, everything else seems squared away. If so, what did they have you do?

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Averitt vs. Old Dominion

At OD, you can move from P&D to linehaul but there is no firm timeline. It could be years. I have thought about risking a chat with the terminal manger at OD, who seems accessible and reasonable, about my anxiety over P&D and my desire for a linehaul position instead. Worst case, he says it's P&D or nothing and I have a nice shuttle job at AE waiting for me.

Yes I'm from Milwaukee. The south side near the airport is busting with LTLs. I've considered all of them and have applied at a few. They all interviewed me and conditionally offered me jobs. I can't imagine there being a better time to be job hunting as a rookie driver.