Profile For Ralph D.

Ralph D.'s Info

WA

Considering A Career

1 year, 4 months ago

Ralph D.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 days, 17 hours ago

Dry Ice?

Only good for frozen food, NOT refrigerated. It will freeze everything in the cooler. Ask me how I learned that one.... confused.gif

How did you learn that one?

Went to burning man a few years back, thought I was ahead of the game using dry ice in my cooler instead. Froze everything lol.

Posted:  3 days, 19 hours ago

Page Turners?

Rainy, Like 3 days ago I was thinking of your books for some reason and spent like half an hour trying to find you on Amazon, since searching for rainy d doesn't work! Haha

Glad you posted a link!

Posted:  3 days, 19 hours ago

Dry Ice?

Posted:  4 weeks ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

Rainy (and others), this really is a great insight into being the captain of your ship. Thanks!

I have another question though about those phone apps. Is that instead of the Qualcomm or in conjunction with it?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

5th wheel pivot point

Thanks guys. Toy truck, got it!

Errol, good video and looks like a good channel. I like that the first 2 minutes is "watch your wagon".

Good thing you say to use a broom, I'll probably have a mess to clean up after trying!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

5th wheel pivot point

I have seen multiple times where y'all have recommended getting a toy truck to get the feel of the movement and I've noticed while pulling a pallet jack behind me at work having to turn/back up around aisles and customers that it feels similar. Is that an accurate representation?

If not I'll go back to playing with the toy truck. 😀

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

I have nicknamed my FM OH Great One.

Big Scott, If you don't mind my asking what is the $0.145 line on your statement?

Posted:  5 months ago

Million pound load

Found it interesting and though I would share with y'all.

Historice Super Load Being Moved

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Hello, I need help finding cdl Training. [request from a very obnoxious dude]

. Honestly just delete my account this site has trash users.

It sure does, and they tend to show themselves in just this fashion.

Brett, did you make the addition to the post title?rofl-2.gif

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting another year...

Ralph, we don't sugarcoat this career. There's usually considerable difficulties encountered when trying to get it started. Having something to "come back to" doesn't alleviate the stress, what it typically does is provides a good reason to avoid the Commitment needed to see this through.

Dang, and here I was thinking I was ahead of the game. Also please don't ever begin to sugarcoat, the TRUTH is the best resource on this site.

I certainly have some thinking to do.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting another year...

Also Brett, please keep us up to date on your climbing experiences. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting another year...

I'm not necessarily unhappy at my job, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't stay for the money. It's also not a bridge I want to burn. I know they would take me back if I'm unsuccessful at trucking and I see many people in here getting into the industry under dire straits that I had hoped having a solid foundation and something to come back to would alleviate some of the stress while training.

If you can't tell I'm not too impulsive, I'm a planner. :)

Losing my motivation was a big concern of friends and family, but I have my eyes on the prize and as much as my bosses joke they won't be bribing me to stay again.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting another year...

So my plan had been to go to a company sponsored program this October. Due to turnover and other issues where I work they decided they can't lose me right now and offered me a considerable raise and health insurance so of course I couldn't say no.

I still have a friend moving in with me (the same that was moving in anyway, to watch the house and pets for me when I go training) so I will be making more and have my bills cut in half.

I keep telling myself that an extra year will allow me more time to train and study and also give me a chance to save money for training and pay off some debt before going.

I tell you what though, seems harder and harder to tell myself "only 14 more months".

Not sure what I'm looking for posting this, just tell me it's the right decision? Hahaha

As always, thanks again to all of you for the great resource this site has been!

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Hiring Competition / Costs of medical insurance

Health Care is a big priority in a company for me and I'm glad to hear that some plans like rainys aren't astronomical.

So if the company you work for doesn't offer or you opt out of their health plans do you just default to your "home" state's exchange or how does that work?

Posted:  9 months, 4 weeks ago

Hi there!

Rainy, I guess I was referring more to your stories of Just setting the brakes on impatient drivers while backing and smiling and waving as they go by.

I hope I'm not misremembering.

And thanks for the welcome guys!

Posted:  9 months, 4 weeks ago

Hi there!

How's it going? My name is Ralph, I've been lurking since around August soaking in all this wonderful site has to offer and have finally decided to come out of the shadows lol.

I fall under the category of "love to drive/roadtrip everywhere" and "sick of working a retail job". I have gone back and forth for years about getting my CDL and going OTR and finally decided the time is right. I'm hoping to go with a company sponsored training program and am shooting for October of this year.

Over the years I have had the misfortune of finding some of the other trucking sites and I think that's what continued to turn me off. When I found TT I had the same thought, "oh great this guy is trying to sell me a book and wants me to pay for his site". Then I realized "the book is free? And so is everything else?? Awesome!" So a BIG HUGE thank you to Brett and all the mods/regulars in the forum dishing out the truth!

I have now read the book a couple times, listened through the podcasts (Brett, you should do audiobooks!), read through most of the training material, and stumbled my way through the High Road (I gotta remember to be signed in haha).

Old School, I love the sage wisdom and even got sidetracked reading through a couple years of your other blog.

G-Town, Thank you for the no nonsense yet always factual replies and posts.

Rainy, Your "don't care" attitude is always hilarious! I mean that in the best way :)

Everyone else, A BIG BIG thank you for everything you add to the forums here. It is VERY appriciated!

Ok, I think I've been wordy enough. Back to your regularly scheduled posts :)

Posted:  10 months ago

APP for training

The problem is that offline access would eliminate the most powerful aspect of the High Road which is the review system.

Didn't realize that wouldn't be available offline and definitely would defeat the purpose. Thanks for the explanation I have wondered for awhile.

Posted:  10 months ago

APP for training

Since this is my first post I guess I need to make a thread introducing myself now but......

I agree an app of the high road would be nice for those times when you don't have service. Or is the site version available offline?