Profile For Kevin L.

Kevin L.'s Info

Scranton, PA

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 2 months ago

Kevin L.'s Bio

I have held a Class A chauffeurs license prior to the CDLs. I later went to CDL school at Porter's Drive Rite at the time it was located in Glen Burnie, Maryland and earned my Class A CDL. I worked several jobs back then driving a box truck before moving to NJ and Driving a tractor trailer for a while then dump trucks. I changed careers a couple times and ended up working for a major university for the past decade or so. That job paid for my daughter to get a great education. Recently I found a need to take on a second job just to make ends meet. That pressed me to go out and get one with a School Bus company. The bus I drive is equipped with air brakes and an air seat which made me realize how much I missed driving a truck. It is a 2015 IC 3000 CE series I believe. Now that my daughter is graduating I am looking to go back into trucking to make more money until I retire. I am preparing to go to orientation at Maverick Transportation Feb 2018.

Kevin L.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  11 months ago

Truck parking during home time

I parked my truck and trailer at a local Walmart but asked permission each time just to be safe. Then took Uber or Lyft home.

Posted:  12 months ago

Giving notice

Ok well if I walk into an ER and get admitted the general consensus here is they will recover my truck prior to me getting better if I was to leave the company while on medical. Report it as abandoned and possibly charge me for it as well as kill my career. Even though their policy is to recover at 14 days not worked.

If that’s the case then so be it. I’m not seeing an alternative at this point. Despite what is said here. I believe I need to just go to hospital and keep maverick informed and see how it all works out.

Posted:  12 months ago

Giving notice

I tried to respond twice previously to this giving more details but think it was unsuccessful uploading.

That is good to know Andhe78. I actually like Maverick as a company in general. I got very upset the other day and started to notice a lot of negatives which led me to look elsewhere. I really don’t want to bash them in public. I would still recommend them to new drivers. I would say Maverick has no issues with training or retraining upon request. Personally, my main issues with Maverick all seem to be based on pay. While they have a good cpm you cannot count on the miles from week to week or the downtime waiting. I started the beginning of February in flatbed then went to tcd in August I guess it’s been 10 months so almost a year. I get it that the industry is harsh. I stay out for months at a time to maximize income. I have started watching my paychecks closely because I don’t seem to be clear on them and learning more and more about how they work. For example the 800 mile weekend guarantee is a split between Sunday to Monday and Friday through Saturday after Monday through Thursday. I never thought to ask that. I’m still not clear on the weekend mileage split entirely either as I don’t get why they can’t just pay Saturday miles on the Friday after it worked and Sunday miles the following week instead of paying it how they do with plus and minus on our checks. Anyhow, I guess I will need to figure out what to do and if they try to hit me with abandonment while I have a dr telling me I can’t drive till I recover I will simply dispute it and get a lawyer who works on a percentage to look through my records.

Posted:  12 months ago

Giving notice

Ok I lost my first attempt to reply so I will try and give more info so it’s clear. Really just wanted to know how to deal with the notice thing and getting everything taken care of.

When I first started with them I signed up for medical and short term disability. I later was informed I have a medical issue that has been getting progressively worse over time. Then i got a low paycheck before Thanksgiving and I took a few days off for the thanksgiving holiday and got real sick for two days when I was supposed to return. Ok so I expected the check for that week to be horrible but then when I came back they were unable to get me a load for another two days and when they did the appointment times changed from Friday to Monday for pickup which ruined any chance of working over the weekend. So the next check was horrible. When I got notification of how low it was I called and was really upset to find out their explanation. While I was in my downtime I looked for another job. And knowing I need the surgery I want to get it done prior to going to a new place as it’s been getting much worse lately. While I was talking to them very upset I asked about short term disability and was told I would not be paid at all till I was out 30 or more days. And there policy is to reassign trucks inactive for 14 days. While asking the questions they basically told me that because I was upset and not happy with there policies they accepted my resignation effective immediately and my surgical consult was set for two days after that notice. So I’m thinking of going to the hospital while I’m still covered.

If they want to try and spin that as abandonment then I think I should get the lawyers involved as well as dispute it on DAC if need be as even DAC is governed by the fair credit reporting act if I’m not mistaken.

I actually thought of returning the truck while I am recovering but not sure of the legalities of that as well. Like mentioned prior if there is complicationrecovery may be over a month.

Posted:  12 months ago

Giving notice

Honestly I want to do the right thing which in my head is return the truck to them on my own. However knowing they will simply pick up the truck while in recovering from surgery as it is their policy would save me a few hundred dollars in travel expenses getting home from what ever terminal they say as the closest terminal is about 600 miles away.

Honestly, I wish they would have told us prior to hire if we leave the company our medical insurance expires at midnight last day of work.

Posted:  1 year ago

Giving notice

Honestly, I think it is in my best interest to just see the surgeon and get it done. As I don’t want to lose medical coverage. I guess turning it in prior to surgery is an option if there is time between the consult and the surgery itself. I am uncertain if there will be. It is to the point where my primary dr told me if I have an attack lasting more than 15 mins go to ER immediately and it will be done.i want to earn as much as I can before I go. If they are going to reassign the truck after 14 days either way why would they be put off. Honestly they pay for you to get in the truck but if you decide to leave them it shouldn’t cost you hundreds of dollars and a significant amount of time to resign. They don’t even pay the ride home from returning their truck if they are taking it out of your pay. Maybe they can give me a deadhead order to their terminal and like you saidI should find my way home. Then just give notice just prior to completing recovery

Posted:  1 year ago

Giving notice

Ok so I want to know what you guys would do. I have decided to leave my current job after the holidays. I have a lot of reasons why which really don’t matter that much. I applied for another driving job and can go to orientation whenever I’m ready they said. I have an appointment with a surgeon on the 21 to discuss getting my appendix out and I’m thinking the recovery will be more than 14 days. The company takes their truck back if your out sick more than 14 days. I don’t know how long my medical coverage lasts after you leave the company. I believe though it would be in my best interest to simply clean out my truck prior to the surgery then giving notice after the surgery as they will recover my truck if I’m not ready to roll in 14 days. That way I can work up to a day or two prior to surgery and would not have to deal with the added trip home and associated expense of it as they only offer bus trip home from the terminal they choose to have the truck returned and that ticket cost is deducted from your final check.

I’m afraid if I do this they may try and twist it as truck abandonment but also know if I’m on medical they can’t fire me. If I give notice on medical leave then they have notice as well as their truck

Posted:  1 year ago

Carlile Transportation Systems, Inc

I read this post and was immediately confused when I saw you say it was out of Alaska. I was thinking about Carlisle carrier Corp which is based out of Pennsylvania. The previous posting that spoke of not likely anyone on here having history with the company in Alaska May be accurate. Wish Icould help. I did some research on the PA company but not the Alaska one

Posted:  1 year ago

CB Question(s)

I can tell you I see the cb as an integral part of trucking. Mine has saved me many times in the past year or so already. I don’t want to speak of particular companies but I can tell you I have talked with some drivers that that were not from a mega carrier company that said they were not allowed to operate a cb while operating the truck. Those companies indicate they see it as distracted driving. One in particular I was told about had inward facing cameras that were used to enforce this and other company rules. The concept of not being allowed to use cell phones without a headset is understandable to me. If the dot wants to be that tough they better outlaw 2way radios for business, ham ,municipal uses as well. In fact they should not allow any distracting messaging devices at all including eld devices with messaging or sound.

Today’s generation is all about their cellphones, game systems, tablets. The cb allows you to communicate with drivers near you without needing their phone number or social media I’d

Far as good cb or higher end ham radio modified for 11 meter (cb) goes the choice is yours the law says you can only transmit 4 watts on 11 meter band but you can find cb shops that will convert 10 meter ham radios to work on cb ant they can output hundreds of watts. More wattage gets you more distance when correctly paired with a decent antenna.

Posted:  1 year ago

How do inverters work?

I got a friend that works for western express and from what they told me they don’t have APU or ePub or even a power inverter in their truck at all. Also despite what their website says all their newer trucks no longer have satellite tv in them either. His new truck did not come equipped with a refrigerator either.

Kat, I appreciate the response, however Western Express doesn't have APUs on their trucks.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Renting a truck to get CDL

When I read this the first thing that came to mind was when I went to get my school bus endorsement I had to retest in a school bus. The company I was going to work for happened to be a state authorized testing center as well. They offer for a fee the use of their bus or tractor trailer for an additional fee as well as give you the test. Your state may have similar testing agencies as well.

As far as a 160 hour certificate goes I am unfamiliar with it. I can tell you there are some companies out here that will hire you and train more than that in house between time in orientation, classroom and driving time prior to you going solo. Actual driving is where you will see most improvements.

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Working For Maverick

Yes they sure are governed to 65 mph. I was playing around with the 8/2 split and crossed the midnight threshold as well as a timeline that day. I also remember I had to do a safe haven move and the closest safe place happened to be the receiver but here’s an image of the Qualcomm that covered my high day.

I just wish all the OTR loads were 700-1000 plus miles and regional or dedicated ran the short runs. This company seems to give out a lot of runs under 800 miles to people out for weeks or months at a time.

0955533001533986661.jpg

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Working For Maverick

Yes thank you for asking. I still love being in this division. I drive whatever is left on my 70. I have gotten only one reset since I started. I’m not seeing any shortage of miles. I am still averaging over 300 take home pay more than when when I was in USA flatbed.

However, they just gave a raise to flatbed and had I stayed it may have made a difference. Either way I’m regularly clearing more than the gauranteed gross weekly pay.

My high mileage day here in tcd is 759.6 not bad for one day from a rookie. We all have good days but I didn’t think that many miles in a day but now my goal is to break 800

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Working For Maverick

I was not done with the post but I will continue here. There seems to be very few people on this forum from Maverick. Of the ones I know of they all have multiple years experience in trucking and likely from other companies as well.

When a new person came on here asking about what to expect when they got to North Little Rock and how they could excel in training there I honestly thought that the best person to reply would be by someone who recently lived the experience. Not someone who may have a decade or two experience with other companies that may have entirely different ideas of how to train a person to drive.

I really do not want to press any issues about earnings potential between types of trucking. I can and did express my personal experience and felt like I was called incompetent because I pointed out that I make substantially more since I switched divisions and several people load and unload my truck while We both get paid to get it unloaded me to back up and open doors them to load and secure. It leaves me all that time to drive instead of burning up my clock

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Working For Maverick

First the good news six months ago today I was offered a job at Maverick Transportation. I survived.

It has been a few weeks since I posted on here. To be honest I was not sure If I should even remain a member of this site. I believe in being honest and stating things clearly. I realize I’m not even close to having the level of experience many on here have. I understand that the mega carriers are good at business. I know that I’m still learning a lot of basic things other drivers may take for granted.

HOWEVER, I have noticed on this forum that there are only a very small handful of drivers that work ofor Maverick.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

I'm confused, need an answer

If you are driving a modern school bus many of them are equipped with air brakes. You may already be able to drive that with a class b dsl. However like Brett said if you want to upgrade to class a to drive a class a bus such as the ones big cities use that bend in the middle. Many states consider them class a. Every state I know of requires to take the road and skills test in a vehicle that is the type you wish to be licensed for. If you looking to drive tractor trailer you would need to do the pretrial skills and road tests in a tractor trailer. In my state anyhow I had my class a prior to getting school bus and passenger endorsements and was still required to retest kin a school bus and if it did not bend in the middle They put a restriction against driving a class a bus on my cdl It may sound confusing but it is different in each state.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

I've been accepted to Maverick! Any other Mavericks with opinions?

That’s an interesting perspective about none paying more than another. Could you then explain how as a company driver getting paid the exact same cpm and detention, breakdown pay in flatbed or tcd. Financially I’m only seeing two differences bettween the division that is stop pay and tarp pay. When you look at the amount of work required of a flatbed driver especially in the first year and compare it to the work expected from a tcd driver that does very little other than drive. Which if you get paid by the mile and detention pay at the same rate seems to me that the tcd driver would make more.

Keep in mind the flatbed driver does a lot of work when they arrive at a shipper or consignee that a tcd driver can pretty much open the doors back up to a dock and go in sleeper berth till the phone rings telling him to come get his paperwork. Then put in an empty call and go to the next shipper and repeat. All the time a flatbed driver spends loading unloading and tarping are hours off his 14/70 hour clocks limiting his hour to drive and be paid.

Granted there are people that can get loaded secured and tarred well under the 2 hour detention threshold and who can do it fast enough to still get good miles in but that is not what most rookies experience.

To say that the only reason a person makes less with one type of freight than another is because they are underperforming at one is rediculas. The two different types of freight have different responsibilities. More work is expected of a flatbed driver then a tcd driver.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

I've been accepted to Maverick! Any other Mavericks with opinions?

You guys are correct I am still a rookie. That is why a new driver should be able to relate to my experience with the company. I would like to know if there are any other drivers on here that have less than 6 months experience and work for Maverick are getting 2800-3000miles avg per week on USA flatbed. During our orientation we were told things like the average driver will make 60-85k their first year. From what I saw in the driver portal a few weeks ago those numbers are more along the top drivers numbers and I did not see any of those listed as being under a yr exp.

I do believe good money can be made in all forms of trucking. I also believe companies are out to make money. There is a lot of truth in the statement if the wheels ain’t turning you ain’t earning. I’m all for drivers improving their driving skills and making more money because of it. My problem was all the work that is not paid for that burns up your 14 hour clock. The idea that even if you can setup, get loaded, secure, and tarp every load in under 2 hours you make 12.50 an hr if it goes 3 or more hours it’s sub minimum wage.

You are all correct there is no universal form of trucking for everyone in fact trucking is not for everyone. One rookie to another I would say ask the questions you need in orientation. I have stayed in touch with a few drivers from my graduation we started feb 4 and all that are in flatbed are tracking for about 34k this year.

I came to trucking to get out of debt and make a better life I want to do it as fast as I can. My first full week in TCD I made more than any regular work week in flatbed. My weekly miles was just under double what I was doing in flatbed. For me it was the right choice. Also in tcd I’m not cooking the e logs or working 80-95 hours a week either. I get plenty of rest in fact often It’s hard for me to wait to start driving again.

Maverick is a great company to work for. As with any job though you need to determine what is the best fit for you. The training for tcd is only two days. Always Thursday and Friday. You will be assigned a different truck then flatbed.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

I've been accepted to Maverick! Any other Mavericks with opinions?

I drive for Maverick. I’m pretty new to it. I went flatbed about five months before switching to tcd. I have found tcd suits me better personally. It’s really a personal choice. I started there as a student. I have had my cdl class a for a long time but no recent verifiable experience. When I switched from flatbed USA to tcd I’m receiving exactly the same pay per mile. The main difference for me is with tcd I get a lot more miles because I don’t spend as much time loading securing and tarping . Flatbed got paid tarp pay of $25 and $30 for stop pay you also will be paid detention time over 2 hours if multi stop TCD pays the same on detention but only 20 stop pay. Tcd is far less work than flatbed. I may not be the best example but my first week in TCD I did 2618 miles which is more Than I was getting in flatbed. Also if you got flatbed USA expect to work primarily in the region you live in.

To be prepared get a motor carriers deluxe atlas, a hand calculator, dry erase marker fine point, straight edge or small ruler, minimal items and clothing to get by on about 2weeks. A set of twin sheets or sleeping bag, some cash for food after lunch or Walmart trips. Practice Trip planning, try and get familiar with HOS and FMCSR mainly relating to hos. Pay close attention to the instructors ask questions for clarity. Always try and be about 15-30 minutes early. Don’t bring anything that might be seen as offensive or dangerous. No alcohol, we had one guy sent home because his shirt had skulls on it but I think he was warned and did it twice.

For me it was about 2 weeks orientation and securement then 3 1/2 weeks in a trainer truck then on my own. Once your on your own you will want to make you truck as much like home as you can without modifying their truck. Trust me it can add up fast.

Working at Maverick my not be perfect but they will work with you and you can learn a lot. Be safe hope to see you out here

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Old School, Turtle, and all youz Flatbedders out there....

I was told the lumber tarps are 170 lbs and the steel tarps are 140 but the canvas tarps feel more like 40 lbs. I did see a girl the was probably 95 pounds soaking wet put a lumber tarp on the bed of a truck. Keep in mind you still have to throw straps and use chains and bungee the tarps down as well. Stretching out 150 -200 bungees is a workout in itself. It’s not just the tarps though proper setup and secure meant are time consuming. I know where there is a will there is a way. I’m a large man of 6’ 1” 230 lbs and just switched from flatbed to temp control because the work was so intense I didn’t have enough time to drive and make the money I wanted. Good luck either way be safe.