Comments By Keith G.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0605857001520213658-76089.jpg avatar
  • Keith G.
  • 2 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Should Drivers Refuse To Work For Companies With Forced Dispatch?

Not sure how every company works. But our loads are supposed to be no touch. One time I had to manually unload 40,000lbs I called my dispatch, updated them, and continued my work. I had a nice welcome bonus in my check the next week, courtesy of the receiver who's staff was "supposed" to unload.

Granted, the only time I could see refusing to unload is if you are physically unable to do so. I know a few drivers that agreed to no touch contracts because they've got a bad knee or something. They'd literally be unable to move 40,000lbs without causing themselves injury. For that, I understand. Besides that, the faster you unload the faster you get another load.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Backing Practice - Walmart/SAM'S #1

Keith the satellite image is rather deceiving...most of the access road from the front of the Club winding around to the rear typically have trailers parallel parked lining the path.

Many of the Sam's are like a drop kit.

I think I'll let yall handle these fun little locations! I'm having enough fun between Atlanta and Detroit on a regular basis ha!

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Backing Practice - Walmart/SAM'S #1

Possible to just back all around the building if you make sure no trucks would be incoming? I have a couple regular pickup/drop locations that require me to back up nearly 2 1/2 blocks up a hill and around 2 buildings to nearly blind dock.

Depending on how busy the north side was I would honestly consider backing and finishing with an alley dock.

I would not recommend that, no. Too busy, plus you'd need to back from the front of the store to the dock, with next to no lighting.

Ah got cha. Looked pretty lit, but likely other trucks making that illusion. For sure a interesting location.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Backing Practice - Walmart/SAM'S #1

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Overpass Clearance

Driven under 13'6" too. Just dropped the bags lol! Trucks thankfully don't grow taller with weight.

Rookie considering a lease

Maybe just me. But I smell a troll. 40-100 grand a year off interest means home boy has between 2.5 - 5 million in the bank. Based off his 2% interest growth he mentioned. If he's got so much money banked why even bother with working for a couple hundred bucks a week. Why even bother asking folks about a lease if he's so well off. Should talk with his financial advisor instead lol

That's about all I'm gonna add to this non-nonsensical post.

Nasty shower

I've not paid for a shower since I started driving and I shower daily. My reward card is maxed out and I add 1-2 per day lol

I route plan pretty well, if I know I won't be shutdown at a TA/Petro I take my mandatory 30 after fueling and shower off.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Guidance or Thoughts your choice. Veteran Specific.

I'll pass off my 0.2c as another fellow Vet of 8 years and my own assortment of baggage.

First, Keith G., I went to college down there in FL. Nice to see a Floridian. Thank you for your service brother. I don't disagree with anything you have said, and I thank you. Yes I haven't gotten "VA" treatment, but I have used the VA's resources to self-educate and "treat" myself, but I am not against taking your advice. You have actually said exactly what my plan was going to be.

My thoughts: begin revisiting the VA getting treatments and getting things restarted with VA in order to know I have somewhere to fall when I slip or guidance when it is needed as well as continued treatment. Get the IU and P&T removed and go back to trucking just a bit of time after everything is in place.

I can only do so much by myself, and I have done great, but I will need that support system, or at least continued treatment established before I ever go back to work.

That's the correct attitude brother.

From my own experience it's very hard for the VA to reduce your rating. Think about how much ass pain it was for them to figure out the rating the first time..and then they've gotta do it again? HA!

I don't know about other locations. But the new facility in Orlando is great and my Daytona Out patient clinic in my home town does a pretty outstanding job getting me into a doc within a week or two for none critical issues. So get that treatment and get yourself ready.

You sound hungry for the road, so get yourself mentally and physically fit so you can feed that beast.

Night time lonliness

I was just wondering the same thing. What if you can't sleep, and only have 8 hours? I am not a trucker yet, but I like to watch my health.

Recently, on 1/24/2018, Coast to Coast AM had the excellent depression researcher Johann Hari, who says depression is not a chemical imbalance, it's a sign of personal needs not being met. Maybe someone will upload the C2C interview onto youtube.

"Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression | Johann Hari | RSA Replay" https://youtu.be/k-MgYy2hfaU

General health tip, just sent to me by my buddy -A simple 30 min walk a day- "23 and 1/2 hours: What is the single best thing we can do for our health?" https://youtu.be/aUaInS6HIGo

As silly as it sounds, you just gotta find a way to sleep to be safe. Being an Army vet I learned very quickly how to sleep when able, even when my mind and body said "I Don't wanna sleep!". Turn off any lights, stay away from phone screens, TV's etc. The blue light tricks the mind into thinking it's not sleep time.

Find your triggers that keep you awake and try to avoid them. Hell, I still jump up throughout the night cause my truck decides 3am is a great time to regen...Grrr..

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Guidance or Thoughts your choice. Veteran Specific.

First off, I highly encourage you to fully through with what the doctors are prescribing you for medication and treatment. Why even bother draining the limited VA appointments and treatment options if you are not even going to use it correctly? Yea medication sucks, you spent your career as a rough and tough infantry. That looked at those who went to sick-call as wimps or pogs whichever term you selected. Nothing wrong with wanting to tough something out, but if you've need and sought treatment I encourage you to follow through with it.

I perhaps get and understand the mindset, trust me I've been there and still have months of rough patches. But when I feel the slip I make sure to get the help and follow through with what's instructed.

As for Trucking, it may not be as stressful as the sandbox, patrols, or whatever else you may have experienced in the service. But it comes with it's own stress factors that you may not be ready for till you get things in order. Your highly focused for 11-14 hours a day, you sleep in tight confines, solitude, tight timelines, and other factors that can greatly wear down even hardened individuals.

My honest and short answer. Is complete the treatment you've started, get your medical issues settled or under control and take a honest look inside yourself. Is spending weeks or months out on the road really what you want? If you are looking to make some side cash plenty of other career fields that might better mesh with your skill set and education.

Swift training day 1

Nice! Go slow and take your time. Nothing about trucking should be "fast"

Food cost

Depends where you buy food. I tend to eat in my truck 2/3 meals a day with dinner being my hot treat. Breakfast I have cereal, granola bars, or microwave biscuits, and coffee from K-cups. I can make 100$ last a week easily, but if I wanted to be frugal that could get as low as 50$ if I didn't eat heavily and skipped any truck stop delights.

Night time lonliness

I've found uhh creative ways to enjoy myself. Like building a semi mini custom PC to fit into the locker (sorta). I have around 50-60 games installed that I can pick from depending on having good internet or not. I also have a metric ton of movies I can pick from to watch.

All about making the most of your new found home!

0247484001517194167.jpg

My truck must look like something Fred Flintstone would drive compared to all that tech!

It's alright Pete, I spent a couple years of my life living like the flintstones overseas. I made sure I setup my home on wheels with whatever creature comforts could realistically fit without posing a safety risk.

Funny enough, I listen to a wide range of Audio books for most of the day I'm out. My library grows by 2-3 books every couple days. Books are not a bad way to spend time.

Night time lonliness

All about making the most of your new found home!

0247484001517194167.jpg

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any info on driving for Dominos Pizza Supply Chain?

As a rookie, I'd strongly advise passing on this. Visit some of your local Dominos franchises and imagine yourself maneuvering and backing a semi in those tight spaces.

I sometimes forget I'm not a traditional rookie. I'm a great devils advocate sometimes though lol!

On-Topic, if I'd never driven before and this was my first gig, I would not want to try delivering to any of my home town locations..they all are tight as hell and leave little room for forgiveness.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any info on driving for Dominos Pizza Supply Chain?

I've got a friend who's father has driven for them for years in Washington State. He's making some real good $$. He relays that work is tough but consistent for his routes. So consider all options and pick what you feel is best for you and your development.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

How much hours of sleep we should get to operate safely?

I spent years in the Army, so early mornings are nothing terrible. I normally wake up fully alert and mentally functional to conduct job functions within a few minutes. As for sleeping, I average about 6-8. I carry a little bottle of Zzquil and take a sip if I'm completely unable to sleep. I also have my phone tied into the trucks Bluetooth speakers to blast me awake as needed..lol

I absolutely love the dream water I buy at the truck stops. Knocks me out quick with no side effects the next morning. Also our Qualcomm has an alarm clock that will wake the dead.

I've seen that stuff more frequently these days. Honestly not tried it. Maybe when my bottle runs out I'll snag a bottle to compare.

CDL School bad experience

In an industry rife with mostly men and traditionally not a job women do you are to be commended for staying focused despite that jackasses actions. Waiting until you finish school is completely understandable unfortunately, the police require you, as far as i am aware to report an incident sooner than later but perhaps you could report it AND continue your schooling? Either way its YOUR decision, you have to choose what YOU want to do.

Since I have not graduated yet I am concerned that there would be repercussions if I go to the police.

I will be going to school on monday even though the police are involved. I am not sure why they haven't sent me to test yet. I nailed my pretrip. Almost 100 percent. I can straight back offset and parelle. They don't let me drive every day so getting the downshifting right has been hard. Keep forgetting to rev. Once I start getting it they normally say switch drivers so I never really get it.

I'm glad to see that they will be investigating and hope that scumbag gets what's coming.

Are you within a 3 week program? I know for my CDL program there was a required amount of hours we needed after getting our permit before they'd be legally allowed to test us. I honestly forget that required time. Maybe one of the trainers here can provide a bit more context to that timeline.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

How much hours of sleep we should get to operate safely?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Dash cam Videos! (Viewer discression is advised)

Tbh that's unwatchable. The audio is extremely loud and obnoxious.

Suggestions

1: Mute audio 2: Cut to good parts. Give 3-5 seconds of before footage and a couple seconds after.

Appreciate someone sharing their experiences, but with some free software you can edit that and maybe make a few bucks off ad revenue.

Will do, oh to bad my Chanel no longer qualify to get as rev huh?

You got 30 days to qualify! Only 4k subs and 4200 hours of content viewed! Such a easy mile stone to reach *sarcasm*