Profile For Steve K.

Steve K.'s Info

Richmond, VA

Rookie Solo Driver

6 years ago

Steve K.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Swift pay

for new drivers as well? This confirmed? Do you guys sweat your asses off in the summer without an APU and no idling? what about winter and heat?

Yes. It is an attemp to keep the new drivers. No APU isn't all that bad, but I like the heat. My idle time is only 8%. They will allow 25% before saying anything. But a buddy of mine is at 49% and no one has jumped on him for it.

Swift pay

From what I understand...Swift went from one of the lowest paying companies to one of the highest with an 8 cent per mile increase for company drives. I don't have all the details yet but they are making an attempt to retain drivers. Good news for me as I just got a raise of $200 - 250 per week.

Status change

What terminal are you out of? I run out of Denver. It would be ni e to meet up with someone from TT at a Swift terminal Congrats on finishing training!

I am out of Richmond, VA. Looks like I will be running on a dedicated Walmart account out of PA. I hope that is a good way to start my career. They are screaming for more drivers so that is why I am being placed there. Home every weekend unless I want to keep running.

Status change

After 41 days with a trainer, I am now officially a rookie solo driver for Swift. Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. I ended up spending a total of 9 nights in a hotel, 3 nights straight and 6 nights straight, and 5 straight nights at home due to my trainer/truck issues. Otherwise I would have finished in 26 days. I still have a ton to learn and hope to continue to get advice from the many helpful people on Trucking Truth. I have been promoting this site since day one. By the way, Swift Transport recently changed their training hours from 240 to 200. Of course that was the week after I started so no break there.

I have met many wonderful and helpful truckers on the road and feel good that there are many willing out to help a fellow trucker out if needed.

Met my mentor today and he already lied to me

Thanks everyone. I will absorb all the wisdom and knowledge he has to give me. I always respect anyone who is trying to teach me new things.

Met my mentor today and he already lied to me

He told me he is going to PAY for my showers. My understanding is that when you fuel, both drivers get free shower credits. He is an O/O so is this something different I should let pass? Or should I let him know I have done my research and he is not being as generous as he says? I don't want to start off wrong, but I do want him to know I am not an idiot.

Passed CDL test...on to orientation on Monday.

Thanks Brett, he will be sick of answering questions when I am done. I met an awesome mentor today but he picked up a student before I was going to be ready. In fact, the one he got switched because he couldn't get along with his current mentor. I have heard the horror stories out there. Swift allows me to get 50 hours in the 1st seat before we begin running as a team for the next 190 hours. Should take 4-6 weeks according to them.

Passed CDL test...on to orientation on Monday.

Then the fun begins. Some may remember that I started Swift Driving Academy on 3/24. It has been the longest 3 1/2 weeks I can recall. They only teach you the backing maneuvers you need to know to pass the state test so being in Virginia, I learned very little as we have not gone to the standardized test yet. My poor Mentor will have his hands full. Hope he has plenty of patience. At least my shifting has vastly improved since you guys gave me good suggestions.

Thanks to all for your help and encouragement during this stressful time. I expect to have many more trying times over the upcoming months and I will turn to you professionals for advice.

Passed the road test

It has been a long grueling 3 weeks which at times I was unsure if I would make it through. But today I passed my road test for Swift Transport only getting dinged a few times for my shifting and once for only going 6 mph under the posted speed on an offramp. Swift wants to see at least 10 miles under the posted speed.

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice and encouragement. I take my DMV test next Wednesday and then on to orientation the following Monday.

Shifting is really hard!

First off you need to play with the free play in the clutch while your sitting still that way you can get used to how far the clutch needs to go in which is typically only and inch. Also play with the shifter. Rock it between the walls (where it stops to slide into neutral/ 1st and where it slides into 4th/5th). Once you get comfortable with where everything is it will be easier for you.

Thanks Redgator. It is getting better. I am used to pushing the clutch to the floor. It doesn't help that I rotate between 4 trucks and they all have a different sweet spot. I am getting better but not where I thought I would be. Have driven on the highway for 45 minutes so far and it is a thrill and a heart attack at the same time. I didn't realize the words "Student driver" meant hurry up and cut him off. There are some really rude drivers out there.

Shifting is really hard!

Thanks everyone. I will try harder today and see if it sinks in better. Or maybe I will not think it out so much and see what happens. I will update tonight with my results.

Shifting is really hard!

So, I have completed day 9 of school and we have finally started shifting. After about 45 minutes of shifting practice I still have many problems changing gears. Maybe it is because I have driven a manual transmission for the past 15 years and have developed a lot of bad habits. Maybe it is because I have no rythym. I keep grinding gears whether I go fast or slow, push in the clutch all the way or only a few inches. If I don't get it soon I may have to consider becoming an o/o so I can drive an automatic. Just kidding.

On a bright note, I passed my pre-trip inspection and air brake test today so now I can give my full attention to learning to shift. Backing in Virginia is very easy with just a straight line and a curve to do in order to test at DMV. I hear my mentor with teach me the other maneuvers.

Going to sleep on it and dream about backing now.

Deciding on going into trucking comments and help please

Is the info in the free or nearly free cdl training are up to date for 2013 or 2014

I just finished day 2 at Swift in Richmond, VA. Most of the information is correct...except, there are no more 2 week schools, and you don't need $150 down on day one. We started with 8 people in the class and lost 2 the first hour due to not having a hard copy of their learner's permit. The exception is PA which doesn't issue a hard copy. One of our guys is from north of Harrisburg. Three of our guys had to pay for a new physical due to not going to an approved facility. We had so much fun sitting for a couple of hours waiting on them. Even the instructor said today not to lease for at least a year and he was an o/o. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Done stalking

And by the way, nice thread title. When I read that I instantly thought Old School made the thread. I don't know why, but the thing that came to my mind first when I read your title was Old School. Funny how that happened..

Thanks. I think it was from Old School that I got the idea when he called us out about a month ago for hiding.

Done stalking

I have been reading every word on this site for months in order to make the right decisions for my future. Thanks to all of you who have unknowingly helped me. After thinking I was finally ready to take the cdl test I made an appt. to get my DOT physical. After waiting over a week, today was the day. Easily passed all phases except for bp. I have never had a problem before in my 53 years. The nice doctor told me to relax, I was getting passed and it was just a matter of for how long. I sat in the exam room and when the Tech came back and retook my bp her only comment was..."I don't know what you did, but congrats". I walked out with a 2 year cert. Then on to my local DMV to test there. My DMV closes at 5pm and when I checked in at 3:15 and told the clerk what test I wanted to take she gave me a funny look. At 4pm I found out why when I was called up to the counter to go over paperwork and have my picture taken (which I thought was a bit premature). I was taking general knowledge, combination, air brakes, tanker, and doubles/triples. This woman consulted with her boss and agreed I would have until 6pm to finish. Now I was really worried if I had underestimated these tests and now the pressure was on.After sitting down at the computer station, I took a deep breath and jumped in. Silly me, at 4:35 I was done and had passed all sections. I can do this...so far. I will begin training at the Swift Training Academy location here in Richmond on the 24th of this month if nothing changes.

Again, thanks for all of the encouraging posts and helpful information. If only I could get through the Hours Of Service(HOS) section in the High Road Training Program on this site. But, ignorance is bliss and I will keep plugging along. Brett, please reset my score on that section so I at least feel smarter. lol.

Getting Ready for school.

I too am new here. I have wanted to make this transition for over 10 years but have not been in an ideal situation to do it. I have taken most of the online course but am failing miserably at log times. I plan to start at Swift in Richmond, VA in 2 weeks. Very nervous about backing and hitting someone in a curve. Just want to make sure this is a good fit for me.