Comments By Papa Bear

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0052469001514115905-77104.jpg avatar
  • Papa Bear
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
  • Comments:

In Springfield at Prime Inc

So this morning started bad, but then the sun came out. My blood pressure was 140/100 this time. But good think I was told come back in the afternoon and you can lay down, relax and we see then. So because there was to many people waiting for the Prime Shuttle to the dmv, I followed some other students example. We walked to Walmart and got on the City Bus. At the dmv short wait, short time in and thanks to the high road training I passt my learners permit with tanker endorsement. So I’m happy and think to myself I want wait for the next shuttle, that was 20 min out, and already Prime Students building up. So first time using Uber, called a uber and 2 minutes later I was in a warm car. The Dude was super nice we talked about the snow and cold wheater, and he asked allot about Prime. So I came back to the campus Inn had enough time to update the team, about passing the cdl learners permit. I then still had 10min left before the next blood pressure test, but thought about what they told us her. Everything u do handle as a load, so I went in the office and waited my turn. They where super nice, gave me some place to relax and then took the measurement. And I surprised them, because it really is the stress the numbers where in the normal range and not near the limit. So far so good thank you everyone my biggest fears and stress are out the way for now, rofl till I’m in a Truck and need to control the beast.

In Springfield at Prime Inc

So long day. I did my Agility and passt it. Paperwork all done and good. Drug test no worrie there because I don’t do drugs. Only think I hope for a better result tomorrow is my blood pressure 150/90. That’s a new one for me when I got my physical at home it was fine. So I hope tomorrow gets it better. I been one water since Saturday when I left on the greyhound. I hope this is ok tomorrow. Don’t want to go because of that.

In Springfield at Prime Inc

Good luck bud. Go to sleep early and show up to orientation early. You're in for a good time. Enjoy it.

Oh, and welcome to Prime!

Thank you. I’m not sure if it was you turtle that said 30min early for me is just on time. But yes that’s me too. It’s now 5:09 and I think i got a good nights sleep, gonna get ready and then I’m of to breakfast(lol water). I’m really exited about this day.

In Springfield at Prime Inc

So I’m her at Prime Inc and I'm relaxing in my room after a 24 hour greyhound nightmare. So far I really like it here, everything seems organized and a good place for training. I want have time for a diary, but I update my thoughts her from time to time. I hope everything works out tomorrow with the dot physical and whatever else they gonna trough at us. I'm tired but I don’t want to fall asleep, because I know myself. Going to sleep now, means I’m up in 7 hours ready to roll. Wish me luck.

Pre trip

Wo im Deutschland haben Sie gewohnnen? Ich habe kurze Zeit im Saarland gewohnnt.

Tut mir leid, Mein Deutsch its sehr schlecht.

Bis Später

Viel Glück und eine gute Reise

I lived between music and Stuttgart and german is ok aslong as I can figure out what is meant

Tomorrow the journey begins

Good luck fellas. Remember anything you happen to forget can be purchased when you arrive or during training if it's a necessity.

Be safe, and keep us posted on your adventures!

Will keep posting her. The good, the bad and the ugly. I think I opened a door her for the german language, lol confused me for a second.

Tomorrow the journey begins

So tomorrow my journey begins with a 24hour Bus ride to Springfield, MO. I hope I didn’t forget anything wail packing what I think I will need. I’m not a little bit nervous, I’m more then nervous I’m terrified. I hope I come down tomorrow on the bus, and hope I didn’t forget anything and that I make it trough this. Everything is on the line, so to speak.

Pre trip

Thank you everyone. I actually printed Daniel's Version of the pre Trip and will study it on my way to Springfield. I think i just worry to much, but this is the first time in a long time that i really want a Job and know that its a Job i will/ can enjoy. I know im a good learner just my accent always gets in my way, but i guess if the Instructor has a Problem he will let me know.

Pre trip

So I’m heading to Prime this Saturday, the thing I’m most worried about is the pre Trip. So many things to remember the right name, not forgetting anything. Besides I lived in Germany 20+ years so often people don’t understand me 100% with my accent. How hard is it really to remember all the names and stuff? I downloaded the guide her and gonna study it on my 24hour journey.

Bus bound today

Best wishes, Kyle and please keep us posted. I hope to be starting my journey sometime in February.

Best Regards, Colin K.

Good luck to you, keep us updated.

2 Year On Time Delivery Award

Thanks everyone. I'm so happy i can help others such as Hammer, Reyn, and Colin. Drivers from this formum and Prime helped me immensely and I really want to extend that to others.

Love youz guyz

Matt, it probably is smaller, but i have big hands for a woman lol

You been a big part in me telling the PRIME Recruiter yes. Maybe I can say thank you in person one day.

2 Year On Time Delivery Award

Today I received my award for 2 years of On Time Delivery. The gold ring has a diamond and my initials engraved. As additional awards, they will embed additional diamonds. I am eligible for a second diamond in April. Pretty Sweet!!! Previous awards included money, jackets amd leather duffle bags.

0187545001515054154.jpg

I thought it important to point out that proper time management and trip planning can lead to constamt OTD as well as trust from dispatch. With the right attitude and communication with dispatch, OTD over long periods is absolutely doable. As with most things in trucking, it is about self discipline and personal responsibilty.Its okay to mess up, but accept it and learn from it. Why were you late and how do you prevent it next time?

It also shows people who claim mega carriers do not care about their drivers and treat us as just numbers are wrong. I always feel appreciated and like family.Its amazing that 18 years at the USPS, I never got anything like this. I usually didnt even get a thank you and often had to argue with management to process the mail correctly. what a change

So hang in there and learn that trip planning

good-luck.gif

Congratulations.

And here we go

I don't get that cause I was told any division would work fine cause company would let you take truck home I think tanker was only division that was limited

Man it was really close between prime and cfi and I mean super close so close I hope I picked wisely

Best of luck to you! I'm not far behind you. I'm heading to train with CFI on Saturday. I am nervous and excited as well.

Alright it's time this Saturday I'm taking the famous bus ride to Springfield, MO for my prime orientation beyond nervous got my BP naturally down to under 140/90 heart rate back down and I'm beyond nervous but yet excited all at the same time I think reality is setting in about being away from my wife and kids but I'm pushing on I know what division im wanting and my plans with prime are in my head.

Woooooo!!!! Here we go

I'm sure you did! I looked at Prime too but was limited to flatbed because of where I live and wanted to start with dry van. The other good thing is that there is more than one good choice.

So i needed to reschedule my appointment because of the Company I'm working at now. So i have another week getting things ready before heading to Springfield.

And here we go

Where you leaving from I am leaving from Tennessee

Woooooo!!!! Here we go

Now isnt that awesome. If you look i posted just about a hour ago. I got the Ok from Prime to take the Bus Ride Saturday Night. And yes beyond nervous hits the nail, so to speak.

Im going from South Carolina.

And here we go

Woooooo!!!! Here we go

Now that changes everything

So after thinking i was all set, now this call and Email changes everything. I'm not sure if I'm happy, scared or everything at ones. So what happened? I just got a call from Prime INC telling me i was accepted and can start on the 8th. I'm so nervous now, because after waiting so long i thought Prime was out of the picture. I know we have allot of proud Prime drivers her, so every information is appreciated. I know i need to decide now there is not much time, to make my decision. A really anxious Papa Bear.

Driving in bad weather

So i came along this you tube Video

Personally, I think you will save yourself a lot of trouble and worry by "just saying no" to Youtube during your time of preparation for this career. I get it, and understand completely why people dig through all that stuff, but my personal experience with starting this career was that 99% of what you're going to be seeing on their is a complete waste of time.

Oh i should cleared this up oldschool, you tube is not my source of information for any of this. The only thing i use you tube for is Entertainment. If i have questions or there is something in my way to this new career, the only source of information are the people her. And i have to say even her in the Forums i learned to sort people in and out, like you for a instance i know that your information comes from heart and is to the best of your knowledge. So what I'm trying to say is. when you tell me something i know to listen, i hope that gets over what I'm trying to say.

This youtube Video i watched just reminded me that i wanted to ask about the bad weather advice you guys have. Because going slow and look ahead, or if in doubt stop, in a safe place to do so. Just saying this because her in the south people think if there is a snowflake the best thing to do is stop on a street and go home, like if the roads where just a parking place during snow/ice. If you cant make it yes i would stop and let the company know the Road is at the moment not safe, so the load will be there as soon as i can drive safe.

So yes in basic i know what to do, but i was wondering what other advice experienced people have on the topic in my first post. Because this happened to me in my car. I went up a hill and no problem till a car in front of me hit his breaks, for what reason ever i don't know. This left me stranded in the middle of a hill, in my car no problem, a little scary but no Problem. When my car started to slide backwards, i just made sure nobody was behind me. Then i went with the slide by just making sure i keep control of the situation, till the car got traction again. Because i new i couldn't make it up this small hill without having enough momentum in the start, i turned the car in a drive way and used another road home.

In a 18 wheeler we are talking in a complete unknown situation for me, so i just wondered. What stories, information and Tips the Truckers have on this.

Driving in bad weather

So i came along this you tube Video. You Tube Video

I lived in Germany for a long, long time. So driving in Snow and Ice isn't new to me. I was just wondering and couldn't find any answers to this, what you gonna do if you get stuck on a hill? I mean there can be a million reasons for this, another vehicle in front of you does something stupid and doesn't make it up the hill. Then you lose your momentum, just one of many examples i could think of. So the Truck, if your lucky stands on the hill(worst case it starts sliding back), what you gonna do if you cant get it moving or if the worst case happens?

I told you i gonna come up with some stuff over time, wail I'm learning to get in to this new World.

CDL permit testing !

Congrats Curtis !! After getting my permit it feels so surreal. It’s like this is it. I’m actually doing it !

Congratulations

Starting with Swift

Papa bear...keep in mind that Roehl has a couple of recruiters who deal only with the GYCDL program. The one I dealt with was Kim Calhoun. She was very professional and everything she said was correct. Maybe Brad passed you on to someone else.

Good luck. I start back with Roehl on 1/22 and am looking forward to seeing how things turnout.

I still hope that my Recruiter maybe just took some vacation over Christmas, but still needing info and can’t get it is hard.