Comments By Mike B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0092116001524874933-78142.jpg avatar
  • Mike B.
  • Comments:

My Daily Experience With Crete Carriers

I really look forward to reading this and keeping up with the updates! I really enjoyed the one you had on Eastern Freightways.

Hey Icecold. Glad you hopped over here to follow along. Hopefully I have some good stuff.

My Daily Experience With Crete Carriers

Did more than I had to do for my road test, literally just did a walk around, pointed out that one of the marker lights were out, checked the tires, king pin and that's about it besides a 3-4 mile trip. Maybe it would've been different if I didnt notice the marker light, might have been a test? Not sure. Some of the other folks had to do a partial pre-trip, a full blown one and even had to show they could back.

So not sure how they decide who has to do what.

Nonetheless, you're going to love it at Crete. Been here a few months now, and have been having a blast. Always keeping me busy.

I was wondering the same. I think it really just depends on who you have for a road tester. My guy was cool. Old school no BS tell it like it is style which I appreciate. During the pre-trip he was like "yea you know what you're doing lets move on. Coming from doing local with tight turns and small streets I was expecting something of the same. Turns down here are actually made for trucks, which is nice.

My Daily Experience With Crete Carriers

Crete's hiring process seemed to take a little longer than others. From the 1st phone call to the actual pre-hire was a little over a week. They gathered all necessary documentation then passed it along to safety to verify several things and see what, if anything was needed for me. I.E. A trainer, camera etc.

They put me in a rental to drive down instead of a bus ticket, put us up at the Quality Inn (typical 2-3 star hotel) Breakfast is provided at the hotel, Lunch is ordered out at the terminal, a salad or sub and a dinner certificate for the Middlesex Dinner, which is right behind the hotel.

Day 1 was your typical orientation. Paperwork, Drug test, Paperwork, Hair Follicle test, Paperwork, Physical, Videos and a road test which consisted of a pre-trip, couple and uncouple, road test and backing into a hole on the lot. I came into this a little nervous about the backing since I've been in a day cab for the last 18 months but nailed my setup and slide it in with no pull ups. More videos. Everyone that works at Crete has been very helpful and pleasant so far. Current drivers acknowledge you instead of snubbing you.

I believe we were done by 15:30-16:00. Back to the room, got some dinner, watched the remaining 16 laps of the race (which took about an hour) Crazy wreck at the end. Hope Newman is ok.

Back to the terminal at 7:00 tomorrow for a full day of classroom stuff. It's almost like a vacation because when I was driving local I was getting about 5 hours of sleep a night and was up at 2am. HaHa

My Daily Experience With Crete Carriers

Welcome back to all that have followed my old thread almost 18 months ago when I was with EFW's and to anyone new coming upon this thread looking for a true day by day, Buckle up... OK that was a little dramatic. Here is the link to my old thread My Day by Day Experience with Eastern Freightways

Back in July of 2018 I left EFW's flatbed division to take a local job with Palmer Dedicated Logistics. At that time period in my life it was needed. I enjoyed most of it. Physically I think it was harder than flatbed at we touched 99% of each carton on every pallet, delivering to well known clothing stores as well as a few other miscellaneous sores.

Anyways, this is about Crete. I can get into why at some point but the timing was right. I spent the last 2 month researching, calling, talking with drivers etc. trying to figure out exactly which way I wanted to go. Lease purchase, purchase, company driver.... In the end I decided the best path was with Crete.

So here I am in Mechanicsville, PA sitting in the hotel at 5:30 am getting ready to starting over. We have to be at the terminal for 7:30 to drop of our rental car and start the day.

I will do a review of the day either tonight or tomorrow morning. Again, thank you for following along with my journey.

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

It would be nice if you would take the time, when available, to point out your highs and lows from your previous gig. Might help some folks out :)

I will do so. Thank you

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

Hey all. OP here. Yes I went/took a local job for the last 18 months. There wasn't much to post, well, maybe there was. It has been an interesting time with a few ups and downs. The job I had became very repetitive with the same stories day after day. Some good as well as some bad..... I enjoyed my time being local but have decided that this is a good time for me to come back to the North East dedicated Dry van route. As of this writing it is Saturday night and I am heading for orientation tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to picking up where I left off 18 months ago. Tomorrow night I will create the thread and start the journey. I'm hoping you all will come back and follow the day by day experience. I enjoyed chatting with you all and learning from each of you. It helps to keep the mind busy. So till then......

Posted:  4 years ago

Mike

Hope the new gig works well.

Chris

Thank you Chris. I believe it's a step in the right direction for this period of my life.

Posted:  4 years ago

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

Good luck with the new position. I hope it works out as well as you're hoping

Thank you Rob. So do I. I really wanted to keep my Class A experience going and not have to go or start with B

Posted:  4 years ago

Mike

So if I follow your posts, assuming today is your day 40? They are going to have your truck until Monday at the earliest? Did they give you a loner? If my math is correct, that 5 days of not turning any wheels? Reminder, lol, its gonna be brutal up here the next few days, welcome NASCAR!! Woohoo

Chris

Hey Chris.

Sorry day 40 was last weds. the 11th. They has nothing planned for me on Thursday the 12th and the windshield needed to be replaced so I was down Thursday and Off on Friday and would of been down this past Monday unless they had a loaner in Concord and I'm not sure if there was one kicking around or not. I did see that it was Nascar weekend. I used to watch but haven't had the chance over the last 2 years so I've fallen behind on where they are and when. I've been a few times and it has always been a crazy time

Posted:  4 years ago

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

UPDATE

So as I've mentioned in the past I've been having some thoughts about being out here. After talking to a couple of other drivers it seems that they are starting to push Saturdays and I like my weekends and after the week they wanted me to work Saturday and changed it for me, last week all of my runs were min runs under 300 miles. A small punishment for not wanting to do Saturdays? Maybe, Maybe not. Another driver was going through the same thing so...

Anyways I've been looking for something local which is tough to get into with only 4 months experience and I live in a pretty small area so there are not many options but after several applications the calls started coming in. I talked with 1 company and set up an interview and road test for last Friday. Everything went great except for backing. LOL going from a sleeper and a split tandem flatbed to a day cab and 53' box proved to be a bit of a challenge. Did the drug test and got my MVR. I had things lined up in case this doesn't work out and had given my notice last Thursday. They left it up to me as far as when I wanted to get done.

I decided Friday afternoon that I was done. I went down Saturday to clean out my truck and the windshield was not done so I would have had to sit Monday anyways if not Monday and Tuesday reaffirming that I had made the right decision.

I got the call Monday! Offered a driving position. Local, dedicated, M-F, home every night and weekends, $21 hr, 45-55 hours a week, overtime after 8 hours, smaller company 45 trucks. I'll be covering the West Lebanon, NH to Burlington, VT routes. and I start Monday the 23rd. I call that a win.

So unfortunately this thread will be ending and I'm not sure if there is any interest in a local gig thread or not. I'd like to do an unedited overall summary of working for Eastern Freight ways. The good and the bad.

Posted:  4 years ago

Day 40

Last night I was able to shut down pretty early, run to the truckstop to fuel and get a shower in. Also bought another coffee pot. Got an early start and was in W. Springfield by 6:00 Untarped while waiting for another truck to get unloaded. Was able to get out of there pretty quick and headed to Rockland. had a 45 minute delay on 90w but other than that it was a good ride. Get to the receiver, get unloaded and get my next plan. Up to Newington, NH again headed to Williston, VT. Already know it's going to be a live load as my last 3 times there were.

Yup live load but this time there are only a few trucks in front of me. While waiting I did some planning and this was going to be a 23:00 delivery appt. I figured if I was loaded soon enough I could get there and park and they could unload me at 23:00. I call dispatch and filled them in and at that time I learned that it was for Thursday night at 23:00 and not Weds night. So let me get this straight. You want me to sit in Williston, VT for 29 hours before I can get unloaded? Yeaaaaa that's not happening. I had asked dispatch for either Friday or Monday off whichever was easier and they said Friday. I now understand why. I would have been home Friday morning at 4:00 after working all night..

So I get to Williston at 18:00 go in and find someone who has some knowledge of receiving and they tell me just park up front, get unstrapped, and have the tarps ready for a 22:00 unload. Long story short the guy comes out to unload me and says did you know this was/is a Thursday night appt. ? Umm no, really?

Get unloaded by 12:00 and head over to our Williston terminal to shut down. Absolute ghost town at the terminal but a huge parking area. I sent an empty call at midnight and never got anything back. hmmm I get up the next morning and send another empty call this time I get a message back saying "cannot empty, unit 41015 not dispatched" Well at this point I had a rock that had hit my windshield on the way to Williston it left a 1/2 dollar sized chip/crack and the truck was overdue for a PM. So I head back to the Concord terminal. The shop said maybe Monday by the earliest to get everything done.. ehh

Posted:  4 years ago

Day 39

Get up early so I can Run to Dunkin Donuts up the road before my clock starts. Go back and get hooked up to my load and pre-trip. 91s was good but as soon as I hit 95s it was a mess. A very slow ride to Stamford, CT. It was pretty tight getting to the receiver, narrow turns and roads. Pull in and one of the guys helps me untarp and fold them. Really saved some time. Get unloaded and have to blindside back to get turned around. One of the guys helps me with this and off to Avenel, NJ I go.

Ended up with a live load again. About 3 hours later I get loaded. This load is going to W. Springfield, MA and then over to Rockland, MA. Best place to shut down again will be Meriden, CT.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Day 38

Finally fall asleep last night and get woken up to a bear trying to get to the bird feeder outside the window. Dogs freaking out. Ehhhh. Slept 30 minutes past my alarm. Monday, Monday..

Head out of the terminal on my way to the 1st stop in Worcester, MA Traffic was fairly light and an easy stop to get to. Get unloaded and head to Shrewsbury, Ma A quick ride down the road. Another fairly quick unload.

Get my next load assignment. Newington, NH to Stamford, CT. Being a Monday and the fact that I had 2 live loads there last week I was assuming this was going to be as well and it was. Better organized traffic this time. The live load line was about 10 trucks deep, 5 of those were TMC, so I settled in, had some lunch and surfed the web. 3 hours to get loaded and only about 30 minutes to strap and fix the bungee situation. Better than I thought it was going to be.

With 4 hours left on my clock I headed out to my 2nd home for the night. The Meriden, CT terminal. Pulled in with about 30 minutes left. 495s was a mess most of the way. 290, 90, 84 and 91 were pretty good. Was hoping to get an early start but after post-tripping I shut down at 20:20. So I'll deal with some rush hour traffic down 95 in the morning.

My road master 12v coffee pot finally died after 9 weeks. It's been blowing fuses and me being cheap i've been limping it along. Well for $27 it has saved me an estimated $150 just in buying coffee at a truck stop. Not to mention the down time it takes to stop and grab one and I really dislike store coffee. I prefer a darker roast like Peet's or Starbucks.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Day 37

Head out around 7:30 I believe it was. Hoping to miss most of the NYC rush hour. It wasn't bad at all. Just get on the GW and dispatch called. They are switching my loads to try and get me home tonight. Dropping my current load in the Elizabeth, NJ terminal, getting an emissions test done and going to Avenel, NJ to do a drop and hook (hopefully) and headed home. Sweet! 2 hours later the emissions is done and I'm on my way. I see 2 trailers loaded. I write them down and head inside. Mine was going to be a live load after the yard dog came back from lunch. So I ask about the other 2 trailers. 1 going to Worcester, Ma and 1 to Rochester, NY. Mine was going to Chelsea, MA. Hmm I call dispatch and ask to be switched to the Worcester, MA load since it's loaded and ready to go. 10 minutes later I'm switched. Fix it and head for home. After a 7 hour non-stop trip I pull into the terminal with 1 hour left on my clock. With the live load I would have probably been about 50 miles short of making it.

Now as mad as I was about the whole Baltimore thing, Dispatch went out of their way to accommodate me and my plans. I definitely appreciated it and don't take it lightly. I'm still wondering though. Funny thing is I had 2 calls during yesterdays 5 hour wait time, Both were offers.

I was home for the weekend, enjoyed my time and heading out tomorrow to MA for a 2 stop delivery.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Day 36

Started latter than usual today due to it being the day after the 4th. Headed to Roxbury, MA and the traffic was light. Get off and proceed down Mass Ave. I just realized the GPS is sending me around the street I need to go down. It's Boston so I'm thinking there has to be a reason. After going through some tight turns, heavy traffic and people everywhere 2 times. Yes I missed my turn into the receiver. LOL

Get unloaded pretty quick and noticed a message on my tablet. It was a pre-plan picking up in Newington, NH going to Baltimore for a Friday delivery. But I already had a pre-plan picking up in Newington going to Limerick, PA. Which would just get me home Friday night. I call dispatch to try and figure out wth is going on. Well they switched my loads for whatever reason and the pre-plan behind that was Baltimore to Danville, PA to home. Well that would put me home Saturday afternoon. I had already made plans for Saturday and I might have been a little ****ed off at this point to say the least. I know, I know things happen and things change all the time out here. I'm starting to learn not to make plans and am now wondering if maybe I jumped the gun going on the road. Maybe a local gig for now and then back out here in a couple of years... Hmmmmm

I get to Newinton and it's a mess. Trucks all over the place, no loads available, security gaurd trying to play traffic patrol is freaking out. It was a little comical. As I assumed it was a live load due to being a day after the holiday. Most of the loads that day here were going to be live. Long story short and 5 hours later I'm loaded, strapped and ready to go. Errrr. I'm only going to be able to make it to our Meriden, CT terminal before i'm out of hours which will cost me 5 hours of my clock tomorrow. leaving me 6 hours of driving left.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

Thanks for the update, Mike. I love hearing about your daily adventures.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Day 35

Start the day off at 80* and humid. Arrived at the receiver in Valley Cottage, NY at 7:07. Made really good time down 95s. Park off to the side of the road and go check in. They said it will be a little while because they like to get their trucks loaded and sent out first, which is typical for most of these smaller receivers. Their was 1 driver in front of me with a load of shingles. I do the ole' Fold the tarps on top of the load trick. (I actually think it is easier to fold them this way.) I'm already drenched from the extreme humidity but have a goal to get home at a decent time. My AC in the truck has been cranking and it was ice cold.

I've learned that sometimes you may do all that you can but others tend to have different plans. I finally get into the tight unloading area 2 hours later. As the forklift driver is casually eating a donutt and drinking coffee he takes my paperwork and heads inside. 15 minutes later he appears and slowly begins to unload. An hour later I am unloaded. Yea of course today is the day I get a slow receiver.. LOL

I get headed out of there and head down 87s to 95s. #### GW Bridge. They're working on the exit 7s7n which brings you up and around to the entrance of the GW. I've been through there a few times and it is usually a cluster. Today was no different minus it moved a little quicker. I still wonder to this day why they have trucks coming up the on ramp do an extreme merge to the left side across traffic. This is what I believe creates the jam. I really need to study the NYC,NJ interstate system to find better routes.

Hammered down to Avenel and only 1 of our trailers was loaded.. (please be mine, Please) i'm saying to myself. I go inside and it's not but they are just strapping mine and it was ready in 10 minutes. Do a quick fix of the tarping job and head for home. Hit another jam on the GW heading North about a 30 minute delay but once I hit the CT line it was smooth sailing until the 495n RT 3 interchange. Stop and go. I had 11 minutes to spare on my clock. I'm watching my clock and GPS eta the whole time. Lost 12 minutes in that area. I'm now down a minute. I make up 2 minutes through Nashua then the toll booth merges I end up breaking even. I'll leave some stuff out here but lets just say I safely made it to my terminal with 0 time left.

Made it home in time to change and play in my old teams softball game. 1st hit of the year for me and I was about 5 feet short of putting it over. Now I can retire. LOL

Heading out Thursday to Boston (ehhh) for a delivery Enjoy you 4th everyone!!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Mike

I drive right by your concord terminal daily, do you drive for North Eastern Motor Freight?

Chris

Hey Chris. I drive for Eastern Freight Ways which is the sister company of NEMF. Owned by the Shevell group. Mike Shevell I believe his name is. We use their services and park at their terminals.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Day 34

So my sons car is still broke down. Something to do with the Electronic Throttle Control. They replaced it but can't seem to get it right. I don't know it's at the garage that he had bought it at. Probably time for a dealership to look into it. Anyways, He is still dropping me off and picking me up every week which is requiring a little more planning on my part.

Got to the terminal at 7:00 this morning like I was told. Loaded up the truck and called dispatch to figure out where I was going. "We're still working on that we'll call you back in 10 minutes" Yeaaaaa, I've learned what that means. Start pre-tripping and noticed that one of the hoses to the coolant reservoir was leaking. Assumed it was the clamp so Took it over to the shop and had them tighten it. Luckily that's what it was. Finish up Pre-tripping, fuel up and park off to the side of the terminal. After about an hour passed I called dispatch again. After being put on hold I get a plan. Going to the Scarborough terminal to pick up a loaded trailer and delivering it 8 miles down the road. Hmmmm Someone missed a delivery for some reason.

Get to the terminal, hook to the load and make sure everything is good to go. Drive the 8 miles up the road and get unloaded. Get an E-mail of where I'm headed next instead of the usual pre-plan. Down to Newington, NH. Well come to find out I was still locked into the return that I did on Friday and was unable to be dispatched the correct way. (Helpful information if I had had it sooner. LOL)

Get to Newington which is generally a drop and hook. 30 minutes tops. Nope, not this time. Live load it is. that 30 minutes just turned into 3 hours. Luckily it didn't affect me to much time wise. Planned on shutting down in Meriden, CT anyways since i'm headed to Valley Cottage, NY (just on the other side of the Tappan Z) in the morning to deliver. Parking between Meriden and there usually consists of on the side of the interstate and it was 18:00 when I got here so I assumed everything was going to be full.

Tomorrow will be a race against my clock I believe. 2 hours to Valley Cottage, should be there by 7:30 Get unloaded, drive to Avenel, NJ, Drop and hook, Then 6+ hours back to the Concord terminal so I can be Home for the 4th. I'm already having nightmares of traffic coming up 95...

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

My Day By Day Experience At Eastern Freightways Flatbed Division

Mike B, I love reading your posts. You are short, right to the details and so interesting that I read every word. I am so familiar with the areas you run it brings back memories. Keep up the good work and learning process and you will be one of the better drivers out there today.

Thank you Harry H. I'm glad you are enjoying reading my posts. You used to run up here? I'm aspiring to be a good, safe on time driver. It can be tough at times.