Profile For Phil

Phil 's Info

Huntingdon Valley, PA

Considering A Career

1 year, 2 months ago

Phil 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  6 days, 10 hours ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

I must thank for your feedback and direction. Western Express will work with me in spite of my history. I'll go out with a trainer for 240 hours and then be solo on a Richmond to Maine dedicated route.

My first month solo didn't go well and I was terminated by US Xpress. On my first day I was in a rush, didn't watch my trailer, and swiped the rear corner of two cars parked outside the gate at my first pickup. The same day I didn't ask for help backing into a dark dock (the type inside a garage) and ended up ripping the right trailer door off the hinges. I also got a ticket (this is only day ONE) for turning down a street with a 4 ton weight limit (I was using Google to find a Petro and made a wrong turn leading to the illegal turn). Finally, last week I hooked high and my truck hit the trailer (didn't GOAL to check 5th wheel and trailer height when backing to my trailer). I was terminated just last Wednesday.

I still want to drive but have been rejected by SWIFT and most companies want a very clean record in the past 3 years. Covenant's minimum requirements suit my case so I completed an app today. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

All you can do is apply everywhere. If you can get a hire you'd better put your game face on and make it happen this time. Otherwise you are done.

You may already be done, but hopefully someone will give you a chance.

Posted:  1 week ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

Thank you for your feedback. I have no expectations at this point but I will look at some suggested companies.

You may already be done, but hopefully someone will give you a chance.

Posted:  1 week ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

Thanks. I've had these thoughts many times myself. I don't know if this is right for me but I worked very hard to get into a truck. I'd still like to drive. No one is to blame for my actions but me.

Ok.... let us put it all on the table....

In one year you...

Quit Trainco paid by Schneider right before testing

Did a lot of complaining about manuals

Argued with us about team pay at CR England

Argued with me about Prime training pay

Got depressed

Went to Smith & Solomon, got CDL

Got sent home from Werner for meds

Went to US Express

Complained they didnt pay you and posted it on Facebook

Complained about backing the automatic

Didn't GOAL causing 2 accidents, got a ticket

Got fired

Your trainer didnt GOAL so its his fault

The truck bucked cause its an automatic so its the trucks fault

Google didnt warn you of the weight limit, so its Google fault you got the ticket

You said something when you were in Trainco.....

Some people simply don't have, and may not be able to develop, the skills for handling a truck.

Think about it.

Good Luck.

Posted:  1 week ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

I tend to rush and it causes problems. I was with my trainer for a month and all went well enough. He never once did get out and look. That example didn't serve me well.

Only thing you can do is put in applications to everybody and be prepared to hear a lot of “No’s”. Your record is abysmal in an extremely short period of time. We’re you trained at all?

Posted:  1 week ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

My trainer never did GOAL when hooking to a trailer and there was never a problem. Generally, I tend to be in too much of a hurry, trying to get there and impress everyone. It's a life long challenge to slow down and I know trucking is all about taking your time until you're due for an appt and you've got to make it.

Though I'm not a Class A myself or in the industry so take it with a grain of salt but these accidents seem to show a lack of attention to details or just no focus . The 5th wheel hit is pretty bad and acknowledging you didnt GOAL on 2 of these is telling . I trained on 48' flatbed in the Bees and was drilled on that routinely so I think it speaks more to your training than you . I feel for ya though but these were very preventable accidents and to have that many is a rough sell . Try CR England as well , they seem a bit more forgiving . Hope you find something.

Posted:  1 week ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

Thank you. I will do that.

Send applications to Jim Palmer/Wilson Logistics. Maybe, they give you a chance.

Their requirements: NO more than 2 moving violations within the last 12 months. NO more than 4 moving violations within the last 3 years. NO license suspensions for points in the last 3 years.

Those are the basic requirements of Knight Transportation: No more than 2 moving violations in last 2 years No more than 2 accidents/incidents in the last 3 years

Or you work in the warehouse for three years and then come back to trucking.

Posted:  1 week ago

Accidents and Getting a New Job

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

My first lot lizard encounter

FACT: Some of those ho's are trafficked teens.

Last night I bobtailed to a pilot in Salisbury NC at midnight. It was of course full but I made room by a tower but figured someone may wake me because they can't get out. At 2 am I'm awoken to a knocking on my door, thinking a driver can't get out I roll my window down and to my aggravation it was a lot lizard looking to make some money. Geez, now I finally understand how everyone else feels as this was my first time being woken up and first time being propositioned by a ho. You think a no lot lizards sticker would prevent it happening again and where can I get some? (Stickers not ho's..lol)

Posted:  1 month ago

Kenworth T680 Automatic in Manual Mode

I am a new driver and I always need guidance when backing other than straightline. Part of the problem is reverse on the Eaton transmission makes the truck buck like a bull. It throws me off. The other day another driver who used to be a trainer said there are slower reverse speeds in manual mode. I checked the manual in the truck and cannot find out how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

US Xpress and Getting Paid

Actually, I'm 56 and use FB daily to update friends on my new way of life. They really like hearing about it. Thanks for the advice just the same.

don't get too caught up in FB.

^^^this^^^

I am assuming you are "young", as in under 30. My advice to you is GET OFF of "social media". It is a sewer for the most part. I am shocked at some of the things that people post on these sites. That s#!t will follow you for the rest of your life. Just some advice from an "old man". You will thank me, and others in my generation, when you see the ripple effect on people down the road!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

US Xpress and Getting Paid

Deleted

So you posted on FB that your company was not paying you?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

US Xpress and Getting Paid

I know it's just human error on the payroll side. I used to handle payroll at a previous job. Data entry error must likely. I just spoke to my "new" training coordinator and she is the gal I was first assigned to. She just came back off maternity leave. She's going to straighten it all out.

You should contact payroll and ask for an advance on your pay. I'm sure it is not common, but sometimes there can be glitches in the system. If you deal with it calmly, and in a professional manner, I'm sure they will straighten it out. A Company the size of US Express is not purposely "not paying you". As far as the backing goes, it will eventually come. Practice, Practice, Practice! Good luck

smile.gif

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

US Xpress and Getting Paid

In a student driver in my 4th week if OTR training. I'm not feeling the love from the organization. You'd think I read the first student driver they've ever had. From my FB post: NOT GETTING PAID. US Xpress is not thrilling me with their organization. Second week in a row I did not get paid. Last week my training coordinator said Payroll should have entered it and both weeks Payroll said the training coordinator had to enter it. BEST PART? I have a new training coordinator since last Monday and no one told me!

Otherwise, my training is going well but, as with so many new drivers, 45 degree backing is a challenge even though I KNOW what to do. I see it's all about the set up, the right angle and distance to the lane. I tend to hold the wheel too long.

When I go to upgrade this week I'll have to do 45, 90 and blindside but my trainer tells me he's never shown anyone how to do a 90. He said they, Kinda walk you through it." He told me how to do a blindside but hasn't shown me.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Hired by US Xpress

I take the antidepressant Nortriptyline. It can cause drowsiness but I take it before bed with a medication FOR SLEEP. It was Werner, but the way.

If it's not too personal to ask - which med did Schnieder DQ you for?

I ask - so we can tell potential candidates for that company.

Companies will not disclose their "prohibited meds list" (aside from the ones obviously prohibited by FMCSA regs) for fear of a discrimination lawsuit from an applicant that is denied due to a non-disqualifying health condition (or one that is covered under the ADA). They'll get you all the way up there, and then send you home.

For the most part - any med that says "may cause drowsiness", is going to be disqualifying due to the risk of lingering effects creating an unsafe driver.

Congrats on your hire - best of luck to you.

Rick

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Hired by US Xpress

I'm not training on the account my recruiter said I would. This guy is OTR hauling whatever.

Congratulations. Are you going to be hauling rolls of paper on that account?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Hired by US Xpress

A medication I take was on Werner's list of prohibited meds. I take it before going to bed si it didn't affect my driving but it's prohibited.

Why did you get sent home??

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Hired by US Xpress

Got my first job today. After being sent home three weeks ago by Werner I contacted US Xpress and came to Shippensburg, PA for orientation. Today I was assigned a good trainer: Benjamin is an owner/operator with 17 years diving, 7 years as a trainer and trained over 100 people. He trained 3 members of the same family. His rules: keep the truck clean, showers every other day, respect my stuff and I'll respect yours. I don't smoke and neither does he. I couldn't be happier because I know two people who said their Werner trainers stank. (One was a classmate of my from Smith & Solomon in Phila. She said she got off the guy's truck because "I was tired of spraying Lysol.)

I'm learning that communication in this industry isn't always great. I completed the Online W4 and I9 but someone kept assigning it to me, twice. My recruiter told me I'd train on the Quad Graphics regional account, 12-14 days out, 72 hours home. The training coordinator found the nearest trainer but he's OTR. USX training is 175 hours. So I'll be out 3-4 weeks starting tomorrow.

Let the adventure begin.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

New Company Round .

So, Werner sent me home last Wednesday because one of my meds is prohibited. Today I signed on with US Xpress for a job similar to the Werner regional. Same pay, same out 2 wk home 2 days, dedicated to Quad Graphic ink and paper, no touch. Very pleased. I was up front with the recruiter and sent her the meds I take. She said it's up to the company doc. I am having the VA provide a medical release form so I should be ok. Starts May 1.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Best Fleets to Drive for 2018 in Commercial Carrier Journal

I just today signed on with US Xpress. The lane I'll be driving is almost the same as the Home Depot I would have driven for Werner. Two weeks out, two days home, east of the Mississippi. Same 41cpm. There equipent is 2016-2018. Not bad and all automatic. I have an automatic restriction. The big carriers are going automatic. According to Werner they use less gas.

Anyway, thanks for the tip and I will keep them in mind. I'm going to go get some experience for 3-6 months and then we'll see.

I just accepted an offer to drive for Nuusbaum Transportation starting in their finishing program as a new driver after I complete my CDL training in June. I spent the afternoon with them yesterday and was very impressed with their company. They gave me a guided tour of their facility, let me operate a tractor trailer in the yard, and introduced me to the operations/maintenance folks. To say I'm excited about starting my professional driving career with such great company would be an understatement. Give Nuusbaum a call If you're looking for a company with a rich history, an outstanding training program, great pay/benefits and an award winning reputation.

Posted:  3 months ago

Best Fleets to Drive for 2018 in Commercial Carrier Journal

I was reading reviews of Veriha Trucking – Marinette, Wis. and on their home page they have a "Best Fleets to Drive For" emblem. So I checked that out. Sure enough, according to Commercial Carrier Journal they are the 20th of 20 "Best Fleets to Drive For.

I don't see any of the major carriers (JB Hunt, Werner, Schneider, etc.) listed. In fact, I only recognize 3 or 4 names. That is a surprise to me but, then again, I haven't started my career yet.