Comments By Dave S (formerly known as KnowItAll)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0832774001569340122-80099.jpg avatar

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Questions About Prime PSD Training

My current (and first student) come on my truck broke. Needless to say, I've kept him fed. If a few dollars here and there keeps their stress down it makes for a safer environment. If you want, call it cost of doing business.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Questions About Prime PSD Training

Without a refrigerator? Ouch! A broke student needs a fridge for lunch meat and whatnot.

Before bobtailing anywhere (like to Walmart for things), lay down the ground rules. Like what you and they should and shouldn't expect. Next, ask questions to find out their level of knowledge. If the student doesn't know the difference between a tire and rim you'll know quickly that you have some work todo.

Like you, I have a family history of teachers. It's a stressful challenge with rewards.

Good luck and drive safe!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

The Life Of A Dedicated Driver

During the week (5 days) I was on the Walmart dedicated run. There was only one 10 hour break that wasn't taken out on the road some where. All runs were less then 550 miles round trip with no back hauls. If I would have lived around Loveland and decided to stay on the Walmart account I could have been home most weekends for a 34 reset.

Technically speaking, I'm regional. Ohio west. But that doesn't mean I haven't been or won't go east of there. Pennsylvania, Maryland and North Carolina are all states I've had stops in since going solo October 28, 2018. Probably spent the most time in Pacific northwest and California with trips to the midwest then back out west.

Since picking up my new truck in Springfield on 9/12 my stops have been; Springfield, Cheyenne, Loveland, Great Falls, Missoula (stopped to pickup student), Twin Falls, Denver, Manison NE, Seattle, Quincy WA and heading back to Seattle today.

Point being, I'm OTR but not a super big region. One could almost say, regional. Meat west, potatoes and onions (sometimes fruit) east as I like to say.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Almost got rear ended driving training truck

Had a 4 wheeler riding me like a dirty diaper the other day. Flat and level running about 62, 10 of my dot bumper. Slow down to 55, still didn't pass. So I come to a steep grade and gravity works it's magic. At 45 hit the flashers and he is still back there. Finally at 32 he gets the hint and passes. The under whelming mental acuity of some folks still to this day astounds me.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Recruiters

I'm sure G-Town can give you way more and better info then I can. G-Town has a post here about the day in the life of a dedicated Walmart driver. Very good read.

I'll attempt to throw a few more pennies out. Once again from the experience I had. Day to day you'll answer to Walmart's dispatch. Pay attention to the directions given on the trip sheets for getting in and out of stores. There might be a file with google maps printed out that show directional info on how to get in and out of each store.

Good luck and stay safe!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Recruiters

Congratulations!!!

The Crete dedicated Wal-Mart run is a good one if you ask me. I had the opportunity to run on Walmart dedicated for a week out of Loveland CO. It was an excellent experience but not my cup of tea. I prefer the OTR driving way more. If I, for some reason, needed that type of run I would go back to it.

Just my two cents.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

6 months in the bag.

Definitely congratulations!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Unwritten Trucker Pro-Tips (Feat. Kearsey)

If you can time it correctly, go through metropolitan areas in the early mornings.

Some examples: LA is a breeze @ 02:00. Same with Las Vegas, Salt Lake City (including Provo & Ogden), Kansas City (both sides), Denver, Boise and Omaha.

A little advanced trip planning can save hours by not setting in a jam.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

It's good to hear you're still at it. Those miles will add up quickly once you've off hometime.

Maybe you'll catch me in SPRIMO some time. Look for #11492.

Good luck and stay safe.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Tyson - Rochelle Illinois

Ran across a few Tyson facilities and others with tightly packed drop yards. Those are the ones that you learn new skills!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Game for Newbies: Why Do You Think Trucking Will Be a Good Fit For You?

While I'm not necessarily a noobie. I am, according to the old timers, still wet behind the ears green horn snot nosed kid.

What makes trucking right for me? Freedom of the open road, being able exercising my problem solving skills, not being micro managed and driving. I love to drive! That's just the short list.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Game: Why do you love trucking?

Adventure and good pay.

This is a big country with some amazing sites to see. From sea to shining sea. The Cascades, the Sierras and the Rocks are all so beautiful. Although, treacherous during the winter, they just as breathe taking as in the summer. The southwest has it beauty too. One of the few places on the mainland US where you can find lava fields that were active less than 1000 years ago. The Grand Canyon is stunning beyond words. Even some crazy place like Wisconsin has awesome beauty.

I'm on target to make well over 50k this year. While to some this may not be that good. But, for me come from a bass-ackwards state, it's a step up. Even coming out of the IT field.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Chain season is upon us.

I picked up the chains once. that was enough lol

Rainy, what do you use those chains for now?????? Lol

shocked.pngrofl-3.gifsmile.gif

Inquiring minds want to know things that shouldn't be known.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Chain season is upon us.

Chains to pull 4 wheelers out of the ditches? Just kidding!

You are required to carry chains in many states. Although, that doesn't mean you have to use them (depending on company you work for). Simple message to dispatch like "chains up on Donner. Forcasting 10 feet of new snow. Unsafe, staying put at Sacramento 49er. Let ya know when rolling to get new appt time."

No freight is worth your life and those around you.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Starting with Wilson Logistics

Congratulations Driver!

Welcome to the Wilson Logistics family!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Need to work

Word of wisdom, be 110% honest about everything. Failing to disclose those details will hurt your chances.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Heartland buys Millis

I trained with a guy that was with Jim Palmer when Palmer still owned it (one of the last 3 remaining original drivers). Before the Russian?/Ukrainian? group bought it.

He loved it when Palmer stilled owned the company but was days from walking out when the Wilsons bought the company from the Russian?/Ukrainian? group. They had just about driven it into the ground. His words, he is glad he stayed on with the Wilson family. Everything changed for the better.

Have hope! I heard from a long time Jim Palmer driver that when Wilson logistics took over, things actually got better. You'll just have to wait and see, not much use in speculating and worrying.

Posted:  5 months ago

Working for Decker right out of CDL school

Decker also has a terminal in Missoula MT.

Posted:  5 months ago

Best 3 trucking companies to work for in SW Missouri

My personal preference is Wilson Logistics (Wil-Trans/Jim Palmer). But I'm a little biased in that regards.

Posted:  5 months ago

Some Random Questions

Took some flying lessons a number of years ago. Had it memorized back then.

Ha! Nautical mile is 6076.115 feet!

(Thanks Google!)

Just in case... 1 mile = 5280 feet.

shocked.png