Comments By Dave (formerly known as KnowItAll)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0700582001554663769-80099.jpg avatar

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Truck driver tries a shortcut, gets snagged on building in viral video

Personally I like to make fun at Schneider with it being egg laying season and all.

0267571001554293008.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Hey there! Current Jim Palmer driver here. Been solo for 5 months now so any questions you might have, ask away.

Yes, the waiting around is to test your patience. Marc and Darwin will test your patience, nerves and willpower. Especially Marc. He'll purposefully try to get ya going. It's all to see how well you manage the stress. Even more so after you come back to test. LOL

Oh, by the way, Noodle Express is what's for lunch today. HA HA! Thursday is Costco's pizza. Friday might be Freddy's or MOD pizza.

smile.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

This is why we post/pre trip

Nope, new.

Recaps?

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

CB

After buying a GPS, my second purchase was a CB. Cobra 29LTD Classic. IMHO having a CB should be mandatory. Especially out west in the mountains. It's a safety thing.

Only place I actually turn it off is Wells NV. Anyone that's gone through there knows what I'm talking about. Just not what the radio waves should be used for.

Me and CBs go way back. My Granddad had a base station with all the bells and whistles. Amplifier, motorized directional antenna. He'd talk skip across the world! Was it legal? Nope! If the FCC would have caught him there'd been hell to pay! Call sign was KBQ9195.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

This is why we post/pre trip

Wish I'd have caught it yesterday. Would have saved me a lot of time today.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

This is why we post/pre trip

Missed this in post trip because it was hidden. (First picture) Plus I was tired and hungry (bad combination.) Luckily I caught it in pre trip. Roll forward to get a better look and picture for road assist.

What's this? 0057838001554281340.jpg

Oh, that ain't good! 0500960001554281449.jpg

Got REALLY lucky the tire didn't blow. What might have caused this you ask. The craters on I-80/I-90 turnpike in Indiana!

Now that I think about yesterday. Should have known something was up but I thought the weird vibration was just the road.

Oh yeah, front drives were just replaced mid January. Less than 30k miles on them and now this one is trashed.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Passed CDL exam today

Congratulations Driver!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

GAME: Name 2 awesome things that happened today

1. Did over 11k paid miles in March. Which kept my monthly average at 10k miles.

2. Made a really tight appointment with 20 minutes to spare!

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Question for you men.....

Oh no! My virgin eyes and delicate sensibilities! Just kidding.

Get to writing Rainy!

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Man’s world

Haha! Just for "passing wind!"

rofl-2.gif

Jrod, La-Tree. I get it. Very funny and clever. Ha ha.

I thought cab extenders were added for privacy, was I mistaken? Or were they just for passing wind?

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Walmart Dedicated

thank-you.gif

I read every word many months back G-Town. Still thinking about going that direction after spending a few years at Jim Palmer. At this point it's still just a distant thought.

This is what it’s all about...except in a different region:

A Day In the Life of a Walmart Dedicated Driver

0719243001554162613.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Man’s world

Find a tree! A.k.a, Oklahoma rest stop. (Many years ago, Oklahoma's rest area were pullouts with a tree and a picnic table. Sign showed a tree and table.)

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Walmart Dedicated

I'm guessing he'll be picking up a preloaded trailer? That's a whole different ball of wax. Easy peasy, in-n-out.

All the others from a delivery standpoint have been relatively quick and painless. This one took a long time once docked. Although, it could have been the time of day where the lumpers were loading as well as unloading. Doesn't diminish the fact that Walmart DCs are efficient.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Walmart Dedicated

McCarren, NV DC? That Walmart DC is the slowest I've been to. Took almost 7hrs to unload.

For what it's worth, I'd rather deliver to Walmart DCs than anywhere else. Fairly uniform in their ways of doing things. Big open areas that are easy to get in and out of.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Looking into new career

Jim Palmer and Prime are my suggestions. If you are wanting to drive in the western states (west of I-75) go with Jim Palmer's Advanced fleet (pull prime trailers).

Wilson Logistics, Jim Palmer's parent company, really has that small company feel but the resources of a mega. 8 months into my driving career I couldn't be happier with my first choice.

If you have any questions about working for Jim Palmer Trucking let me know.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

New Truck

Jamie, I used to like you but not so much any more...

rofl-1.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-1.gifsmile.gif

Posted:  4 weeks ago

All those O/O's making "so much money"

On a trip that pays $9.47/mile if I was a L/O O/O. Pays $644.25 on 68 miles. Sounds really awesome until you get to the rest of the story.

The trip before this one paid $61.51 on 53 miles for $1.16/mile. The trip before those was $1.17/mile. $1851.51 on 1561 miles.

$2,557.51 on 1,682 miles is a gross average of $1.52/mile. Now for a fun exercise. What's the net $ that goes into your pocket? Lets use $1250 truck payment (includes tags, permits and insurance). $0.10/mile maintenance fund ($168.20) Lastly, fuel @ $2.3642 (Prime's price). Last weeks average MPG was 7.3. So ballpatk fuel cost is $544.74.

$2557.51 - 1250.00 - $168.20 - $544.74 = $594.57 ÷ 1682 = $0.35/mile. WOW! Lease Op / Owner Op thing sure is a great deal!

I'd have lost $0.09/mile from what a company driver would have been paid AND be looking at a bill from ThermoKing to fix the APU that just took a dump!

Disclaimer; there's still 3 days left in this pay period for the potential of a lot more miles... and, I think there is local P&D money that isn't calculated in. Have to check on that one.

Being an L/O O/O sounds like a great thing until one runs the numbers on a give scenario. Then doesn't sound so good.

Now please excuse me while I put in a road assist call to have the company fix the APU and DirectTV receiver that it fried. :(

Posted:  1 month ago

Testing out to go solo

WOOT! Congratulations!!!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 month ago

Game: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

The challenge, the coffee and the MONEY.

Posted:  1 month ago

NASCAR in Fontana

The earliest dirt track race I can remember was at Dodge City KS in the late 70s. Been a fan ever since. Raced dirt track in central Kansas from 92 to 94 and even won a few times.

Remember watching Dale Senior run the old Wranglers car on TV. Finally got to see him race in Texas at TMS the year before he was died. Junior won the bush race that week.