Comments By Dave (formerly known as KnowItAll)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0700582001554663769-80099.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Are Drop And Hooks Really Any Better Than Live Loads? - article by Rainy

My longest wait times have all been drop and hooks. All Tyson related facilities. Beef and chicken. Worst offenders, Noel Missouri (over 24hrs) and Amarillo Texas (20 something hrs). Easiest/fastest D & H is Cargil/Excel in Dodge City Kansas. It's just about as fast as my fastest live unload at Costco (under 30 minutes from gate to gate!)

Going from a shiny new trailer to an older trailer always makes me sad. Had one trailer for about 6 weeks. One of the newer ones. Lost it to a d&h 2 weeks ago. I'll always miss you 200288.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

I'll second Matthew's point on the vetting process. It's pretty thorough. They will contact you partner to make sure the separation won't become an issue. Being out from 4 to 9 weeks is common for an OTR driver. For a regional driver, depending on routes and your home location, you could be home every few weeks.

With the small employment gap in mind. It won't be a big deal as long as it is documented (dates and reasons for all gaps). Be 100% truthful!

In regards to being female. Doesn't matter. You'll be shown the same professionalism and respect as your counterparts. In my honest opinion, Wilson Logistics ( Jim Palmer / Wil-Trans) is an excellent choice for anyone. I'll spare you all the anecdotal stories and just say, you'll be fine.

Trying trying to get some information or a female perspective from Jim Palmer. I have wanted to go to the school since they opened. What I'm trying to find out is the requirements. I have a really squeaky clean record both criminal and driving. I have all my paperwork ready. I am really ready to take my permit test again. (Did this once before at another company). Going back three years I only had one small employment gap. And that was because we were moving out of state. I am 46 married with no kids. And I am so ready to do this! Any direction I should go should I just call them.

Day 3 04/03/2019

Van picked us up at 7am. This morning. So funny to arrive at 7:10 and still be sitting here an hour later... but it'll only be 20 minutes more. Haha. Ok, more time to review pretrip.

We signed our CDL school contract. Simply put, the cost is $3500 and at no time will $ be deducted from your pay. At 6 months $1750 is forgiven. At 12 months the remaining $1750 is forgiven. So stick around for a year and no cost to you. Even if you were to leave after 6 months, you'll only pay 1/2. Really very fair and one of the best agreements out there in my opinion, and a more than fair price for training when compared to others.

Overall so far, I am impressed. I like the small feel making it more personalized, you are you and not a number. Everyone is very friendly and encouraging.

The Wilson's (Father and son) we are told are very approachable and we are encouraged to stop in and say hi if they are here as they like to know there drivers.

More later as the day progresses.

About 1pm Darwin took us out for a pre-trip run through then into the truck to pull forward and straight back, then out to a 45 degree angle to back. Also had a student pull out to show the angle you'll want to take a picture of in your mind for the 90 degree back. I did all right as he helped me and wow, what a thrill! Oh yeah, the 2 students that had to still pass their permit test did it. We are still a group of 5.

And that concluded our day. Tomorrow out on the roads driving Cheers!

Give them a call, or ask some questions here. I am not sure exactly what you are looking for with "From a female perspective." I can tell you however that I see women go through our training here at Wil-Trans all the time with no issues. That doesn't necessarily make the company right for you, you need to do the research to make sure that the company you go to meets your own personal criteria. However I will say this, these guys do try and sort out bad picks, given that you are married they will want to talk with your husband as well to make sure he will be able to handle being separated from you for long periods of time. Remember you will be gone for a minimum of 30 days before you can return home and see your husband so they will want to make sure that BOTH of you are ok with this and ready to deal with it. OTR trucking is hard on relationships, I hope you keep that in mind in your journey. I am not trying to scare you away, I just want to make sure you're aware of everything here. Anyhow, feel free to ask away on questions you may have, I'll be happy to do my best to answer. However I haven't been to Jim Palmers terminal, nor did I go through their training, I went to Wil-Trans' terminal and training course so there may be some questions specific to Jim Palmer I can't answer.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Pilot in Lamar Colorado

I was thinking it had the "pj fresh" stuff too. Been awhile since I've stopped there. Last time through Lamar the road was still a mess.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Pilot in Lamar Colorado

When going down 287 I'll stop at that Pilot or the Loves in Eads. So happy they finished the road work in Lamar.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

I might complain and whine about running California and the Pacific northwest but I'll take it over going to the northeast any day!

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

LOW FREIGHT---IS THIS TRUE?

Only slowdowns I've had were because of maintenance issues...

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

I expressed my displeasure to my FM. His reply, we send you because we know you can handle them. *sigh* What did I do to deserve this kind of torture!

There is a Smith's DC (Kroger again) in Layton UT that has about the same spacing. BUT, fortunately they have drivers decouple and park in a bobtail area.

Oh, eff both of those places. 😂

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Just wanna drive!

Stale CDL makes a difference. Although, I have no clue what time frame it takes for a CDL to be considered stale.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Castleton on Hudson Pilot. Tight parking

Tight? Had a live unload at a the Ralph's DC in Compton CA. There is less then 50' from tractor to the wall. Best method was to have the person to the left decouple and move out of the way.

Here's a Google Earth picture with measurements.

0828271001559045166.jpg

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Just wanna drive!

I find that strange about Jim Palmer (Wilson Logistics) having you down grade to a CLP. Do you have the air breaks and combination vehicle endorsements? Is there an autoshift restriction?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Only one I know for sure is Montana. If you fail the pretrip or backing portion you can retest the next day schedule permitting. Fail the driving part and it's a long agonizing 7 day wait to retest.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Awesome play by play! Think ya might have a winner here!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Jim Palmer home time for driver from California

1 day off per 7 on. Max is 5 days off in a row. Way it works is one would call their FM and make a request a few weeks in advance. Before ya know it, you're home! If you sign on with the regional fleet you can het home often.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Sold on Leasing... no, Lease Purchase!

Haha! I'm still here!

rofl-3.gifsmile.gif

How come the know it alls never come confused.gif back?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Prime PSD training, from a trainer's perspective.

Turtle, really like reading about the trainer's perspective. I thought about doing Wilson Logistics version of PSD, D-Seat, but I'm a horrible passenger! Therefore I give you proper respect for being able to do student training!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

No flatbed. Just regional dry van (western 11), north western heavy haul and advanced fleet (Prime reefer).

Hello,

I also have a question, that I couldn't find on the website does JP have flatbed driving opportunities?

Thanks

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Best and Worst looking Tractor Fleets?

I'm a little partial to the Wilson Logistics (Jim Palmer and Wil-Trans) fleet.

smile.gif

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Reefer Question

In most cases it will defrost eventually. I have yet let a trailer dry out before setting to below freezing.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

'Bug' permits now required for four eastern states

The Prime video reminds me of Starship Troopers propaganda scenes. Swat, Smash and Scrape those bugs! We're at war with the bugs! Kill'm All!!

Apologies, momentary laps there.

rofl-3.gif

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Question for downhill driving with an automatic?

On my 2016 Peterbilt the brake lights DO NOT come on when the jake is active. The early 2018 Peterbilt I did my team training in did however.

For me on down grades, it's highly dependent on several factors. How heavy am I? Slow speed limits? Lots of curves? And lastly, but certainly the most important, what grade am I dealing with?

I'll use east bound Montana I-80 Homestake pass as an example with 79,000 lbs. 7th gear all the way up. First crest I'll go to 9th. Second crest is where it gets interesting. Down to 7th through the twisties then 8th for the last few. After the last curve I'll go to 9th to the bottom.

Used that pass because it has speed limits for trucks and it is rather technical. 25 mph at the top then goes to 35 mph then 45 mph back to 65 mph.