Profile For Jason R. (Ruck)

Jason R. (Ruck)'s Info

Clendenin, WV

Company Driver In Training

Jason R. (Ruck) On The Web

8 months ago

Jason R. (Ruck)'s Bio

Finally following my dreams. I have wanted to get into the industry since I was a kid and just never had the support. I do now and I am gonna take full advantage of it. I have not started school yet but will be soon. I have been in the emergency medical field for over 20 years and am ready to follow my dreams.

Jason R. (Ruck)'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 day, 21 hours ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Hey everyone, I have a week of training left and then will do my evaluation and get my own truck! Been a busy few weeks, and eventful ones also! I’d like to thank everyone for their support and thank Brett for creating trucking truth. It helped me in so many ways! From helping me decide whether trucking is for me to helping me decide on CDL sponsorship with Maverick and finally helping me study for my CDL! Thanks to everyone else also for your support and wishes of good luck. I am hoping that the feeling I get of brotherhood in trucking is true. It sure seems that way!! My last career was like that. Sure we competed with each other but in the end if someone needed help then we were all family amd helped each other. I’ll keep everyone posted. Stay safe out there!!!!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

I want to start by saying that i alpreciate everyone who has given me support on here. I am so glad that i found TruckingTruth.com amd read Brett’s book. Also I am very glad that I did the High Road to CDL course. Everything that I did here helped me achieve my goal and my dream! So since the last time I posted I have passed the driving/skills test and gotten my Class A, I was officially hired at Maverick and finished securement training. I am waiting to hear from my driver trainer in the next couple days. Then I will go out on the road with him for 3 - 5 weeks before I do my final eval at Maverick. Then, if all goes well, I will get my own truck!!! I am doing some videos on youtube to vlog my journey. If you like, check them out and subscribe to my channel. Everyone have a great day and stay safe!!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Hey everyone, sorry it’s been a while. Been doin the cdl schoolin thing. I passed my written two weeks ago and been training for the pre-trip amd skills/road tests. I will test next week sometime. Been a great experience so far. Never thought I would get that damn 90°, but I am kicking it in the teeth every time now!! Keep ya posted. Fingers crossed!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Continued update for 1-10-19. After doing the written test and passing, those of us that did had to go to the DMV (revenue office) and get our plastic permits. Then when we got back we went out on the road woth an instructor. It was awesome! Two students to a truck and we (at least my truck) drove about 12 miles each student. Y’all stay safe! Keep ya posted

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Hahha. True!

Congratulations Sir! See there, being built like an old Cadillac hasn't hurt you yet!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

UPDATE 1-10-19. PASSED MY WRITTEN! More to come later this evening.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Hey everyone!! Sorry for the delay in posting. Here is a step by step on my orientation. *Day 1. Which will be a Sunday: 06:30 - Arrive at Maverick’s student lounge. 07:00 - Class begins. You meet your instructors and they begin to go over expectations and the Maverick way. I am gonna put this the best way I can. Do not go there expecting to be a slacker or be in an unstructured environment! They have rules and thise rules will be followed. That may sound mean or harsh, but it is not a bad thing at all. I thrive in that type of environment! ABSOLUTELY DO NOT be late! Period! Do not be rude. These are very important to the Maverick Way. Think about this....who do the customers (shippers and recievers) enteract with the most?...US, the driver. So if you can’t be on time for class and you are rude to the instructors, how can they trust that you will make deliveries on time and be polite to customers? Between 07:00 and 11:00 - Filling out paperwork for work 11:00 - Lunch 11:30 - Back from Lunch and continue working on paperwork. Also some lessons in map reading and trip planning. They want to ensure that if something happens to modern technology (if your gps and omnitrax break), that you can get where you need to get. It isn’t too hard once you get the hang of it. 16:15 - Q/A time I will not put an end of day time because it varies from day to day. *Day 2. Monday (no breakfast today) 06:00 Class starts. Today is DOT Physical and Maverick Physical Abilities testing day. They usually take about 6 back at a time. The ones still in the classroom do work on the conputer (different videos and evaluations on those videos). This goes on until everyone is done with everything. Lunch is served in there somewhere! I want to tell anyone who is thinking about going to Maverick and are worried about the abilities test. Do not give up on an ability. Keep trying until you are physically unable to go on. And THINK OUSIDE THE BOX on the climbing obstacle, do not be afraid to ask if you can re-stack or re-arrange something that is there to help you. *Day 3. Tuesday If you make it to this point CONGRATS!! (Just so you know, no one failed the abilities in my class. Even this old Cadillac!!) 06:30 - Breakfast 07:00 - Class starts. This is where things will differ for other classes. My class fell on a holiday so it made things different. Do not misunderstand, you WILL have class even on holidays as far as I know. We sure did. But it is because there is so much that has to be done. 11:00 - Lunch 11:30 - back to class and more mapping and videos and evaluations. *Day 4. Wednesday 06:30 - Breakfast 07:00 - Class starts. At some point through the week you will meet with HR and go over their benifits. *Day 5. Thursday If you are in the ASUN program you will be going to Newport Arkansas. Not sure what happens if you are in the MDA (Macerick Driving Academy)

And that is orientation week. Once at Newport you go to the college and get registered. Friday is DMV day to get your license switched to an Arkansas Drivers license.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

David L, Here’s how it works. They will pay for a Greyhound ticket for you. But if you are like me...I did not really want to apend 23-1/2 hours on a bus when I could drive it in 11-1/2. So they gave me that option amd they WILL re-imburse you up to the cost of what the greyhound ticket would cost. However, you won’t get your re-imbursement money until your first “paycheck” with them. If you are doing the CDL sponsorship program then that means no pay check until AFTER CDL school. But they do give you a pre-paid credit card when you go to CDL school. Look below for my post on Orientation week. Hope this helps. And good luck!!!

Hey Ruck, I've been reading through your thread due to you going to Maverick paid CDL Training, I sent the application in and am going to be calling a Recruiter soon. Looking forward to reading more from your experiences in their training. Did you pay your way to Training School, or did they pay your way?, just wondered, and how did you get there bus,plane train?

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Hey everyone, I am in North Little Rock and start orientation tomorrow. I’m excited and scared. I’m a bit nervous Bout the agility test. I’m built like an old cadilac....low to the ground and pretty heavy. Anyway, I’ll try to keep up my posts on here. If I make it through orientation, I go straight into CDL school.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Andhe78, I sure will say hi! And the “higher miles” thing is mainly because I know absolutely nothing about miles when it comes to trucking. It sounded like a lot of miles to me but I am currently piled up in an ambulance and usually put about 200 miles a shift (12 hours) on the truck (which is a lot by our standards). So when it said like up to 2600 miles a week I was thinking that was a lot. I know a lot of things depend on the miles. And not gonna get upset for the first few weeks when I don't make good miles. Man, I am just so excited to be getting to do what i have always wanted. Be safe out there!!!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

I report to Maverick on December 30th. I am so excited and scared to death at the same time.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Andhe78, Thanks for the response. That is exactly why I said “in someone’s eyes”. Because everyone knows it is NEVER the complainer’s fault....(TOTAL SARCASM THERE). You are right about the division, however I am going Atlantic Regional not USA. When I watched that ONE video...and yeah there was only one person that *****ed about not getting miles or making money at Maverick. And I kinda figured it had something to do with work ethic. lol!! I have a friend that drives for them and he and I just had this conversation today. I am changing my career for two reasons....one personal and one financial. So if my ass is going to be away from my family, I am damn sure going to be busting it to make money!! I am not going to be lolly-gagging around and not trying my hardest to make a good living. I hope to meet you some day and maybe get some of your “game strategies”.

Old School, You all don’t realize how much you help a newbie....or a wish-to-be like me. This site, all you experienced guys and the experiences you share is awesome! I totally get what you both are saying. It is what you make it to be! If you are a lazy ****, then you are gonna make **** pay, if you are a professional, you are gonna make professional pay!! (I sum things up in some weird ways I know). I have my own flaw of sorts. If I am not the best I can be at whatever I am doing, then I can’t stand myself! I have done things to get my current company out of a pinch, and have no problem with it. It is what I think “being a team player means”.

Again, thanks for all the comments and keep em coming. I love the knowledge.

Wow, you have been the victim of some very erroneous information.

TL;DR- any Maverick driver not getting the miles, odds are it's the driver's fault.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Old School, G Town, Thank you both. I was going to go to private achool. But I started thinking after I joined this site amd did some reading, if I spend money out of my own pocket to do that, I still am not guaranteed that I will get a job right out of school....Ok, so truck drivers are in high demand (according to the private school couselor...which is a recruiter in their own way), but I didn’t feel that was enough of a guarantee. Then I looked at all of those companies that Brett (and whomever else helped) put reviews of the paid training. That along with the following is how I made my decision.... 1. My schooling can be paid for with a small commitment to that company. 2. That small commitment may be one to two years....you all recommend staying at least one year with your first company anyway. 3. And this is probably the MOST important thing....I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB, I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW CAREER!! So I am not looking for someone to pay for my training just so I can company hop. I want someone who I feel will be the best fit for me.

**Disclaimer** I am not accusing anyone of doing the above stated. I am simply giving MY personal feelings and thoughts/rationale in making my decision.

I will let everyone know when I get a spot in the school. Maverick is in the process of starting theor own CDL Training program and I am excited for this!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Thanks Bruce K. I have checked out Maverick pretty extensively. I am the type to be overly cautious. I have talked to drivers themselves because I feel that no one knows better than the enployees of how a company treats people. I have heard nothing but good things....well, for the most part. Every company has it’s flaws in someone’s eyes. Mostly it was the miles...but it was the division that they chose that caused the shortage of miles. My particular division is the higher mile (harder work/physically demanding) division. But I accept that and I have never had a position anywhere that wasn’t the most physical demanding for that field (Paramedic and Firefighter). I do appreciate you giving me advise and to tell you the truth, I am kinda getting discouraged. It has been 2 months and I still don’t have a spot in school yet. I KNEW THIS GOING IN and was never lied to about it being a waiting game. My discouragement comes from being totally mentally burnt out from 20 years of seeing other people’s worst day and a lot of times last day of their life. I can’t leave there until I am secured into having a spot at the other company. Didn’t mean to ramble on, just trying to keep myself inspired. Lol. I’m a goober like that. Be safe! Good luck! And feel free to comment, post, update us as much as you want!

Good luck Jason. And before you accept a job, consult with as many unbiased people as possible. I've been able to do this because I'm going to an independent school without ties to any one company. All the company recruiting presentations are interesting, but we all need objective advice before make the big decision.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Maverick posts their “graduates” on their Facebook page. I have trued to keep an eye out for him (someone named Jeremy and a Last name starting with an H) but haven’t seen anyone like that. Problem is, Jeremy could be his middle name or something amd I may have missed him. I will keep an eye out. I am anxious to hear from him. On another note, Maverick is starting their own CDL training program and I am still waiting to go to either Ark U or their new training program.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Illinois: Automatic Restriction removal

Thanks for creating this thread.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

I will try to keep a good joirnal of my experiance at school and then once I get out there on my own I will try to be one of those youtubing truckers. I will try to keep focused on providing educational content though. I have learned a lot from some of those videos (Dale Clay, Craig Ryan, CDL College) and I want to pay it forward.

Stay safe out there! Ruck

Also, I wanted to make sure that this is known to anyone wanting to get there CDL..... This site, Trucking Truth has been such a great resource!!! And I HIGHLY recommend the “High Road CDL Training Program”, it has been wonderful! I have finished all of the sections I need for my CDL + endorsements and am going through it a second time! AWESOME TRAINING MATERIAL!!!!!! And the Pre-Trip guide is amazing as well!!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Thanks Han Solo! I have wanted to drive truck all my life, well since I was a kid. I could say I wish I had done it when I was younger but I would not trade that for my daughter for that. And I would not have her if I had not taken the path that I did. I have over 20 years in emergency services (fire and ems) and like you it isn’t that I don’t love what I do now, it’s just that I have seen enough, dealt with enough of other people’s tragedy and I am fortunate enough that I can lock in my retirement at the 20 year mark at my company. I also want to be able to give my family a better life financially.

Stay safe out there! Ruck

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Waiting list for Maverick’s CDL Sponsorship

Good mornong everyone! I got a call from my recruiter yesterday evening. Still don’t have a spot in class yet. But he did say that the actual Maverick CDL training program is getting closer to rolling out and once that happens they will be able to take more people at a time. I’m not upset, they were totally upfront and told me that there was a 1-2 month waiting period. I am just anxious to get started!! It is getting tougher and tougher to go in to my current job everyday. I didn’t realize how long two months was I suppose! Lol I’ll post an update when I get my notice that I have a spot in class. Stay safe out there everyone!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Roehl 2018 Training: My Blog, by Professor X

Thanks for sharing your journey Professor X.