Profile For Brad K.

Brad K.'s Info

Cape Coral, FL

Considering A Career

8 months ago

Brad K.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  6 months ago

Background Check

Thank you. Im really looking forward to this career change!

Posted:  6 months ago

Background Check

Hello everyone,

I am 51 years old and I am trying to bring back my past life as a teenager, lol. I know I got a DUI as a teen. I got my Colorado DMV history and shows no traffic incidents or tickets. I bought a Colorado Bureau of Investigations criminal report and it came back clean. They stated that sealed records and juvenile records are not available to the public. Is this different for trucking companies? I am thinking I will still disclose my DUI as a juvenile to be safe but am just curious if trucking companies can go back that deep and get juvenile records like the military does?

Thank you in advance for your replies

Brad

Posted:  7 months ago

CDL Residence

Thank you! Greatly appreciated

No, you will only pay a state income tax for your state of residence. Most of the larger carriers can even handle the state income tax withholding for you.

Posted:  7 months ago

CDL Residence

My next question would be: If I continue to claim FL as my residence, am I correct in assuming that I will file tax returns in both Florida and the state the Trucking co. will be paying me from since I will probably have state income tax deducted from the trucking companys state of business?

Posted:  7 months ago

CDL Residence

Thank you!

Now for my question: Once I have my CDL with the address of the home I am selling, after the house sells can I change my address to a mail forwarding service (popular with full time RV'ers) in the state of Florida with just a cell phone bill and CCW permit without any CDL issues? That being said, what if down the road I wanted to transfer my Florida CDL to a South Dakota mail forwarding service?

Hey Brad, good question. I am currently a full-time RV'er looking to start CDL training in Jan 2019. We use a mailing service called "Escapees" right now (I'm guessing it might be the one you are referring to) with TX as our state of residence. Although we don't spend much time in Texas we do several things to justify it as our domicile: Driver's Licenses, Concealed Carry Permits, Voting, Updated Wills, Jury Duty (though amazingly easy to defer when I was away from the state and got the summons), Bank Account, etc. Although TX has no state income tax, paying tax to a state will certainly help solidify your legal residence. Money talks!

I recommend you go the the Escapees website and search for "domicile." The club/site are supported (owned?) by a legal firm that specializes in issues of domicile. Besides that, their mail service is awesome! They toss out all my junk mail and scan the other envelopes so I can decide if I want them forwarded, tossed, or opened and the contents scanned. **BTW, I receive NO compensation or reward for mentioning Escapees. Just a happy customer.**

Hope this helps, Mike

Posted:  7 months ago

CDL Residence

Hello Everyone,

I am slowly putting together my plan for my career change and have found a hurdle that I haven't been able to find any exact answers on:

I am currently a home owner in Florida. I am going to get my CDL through Suncoast Trucking Academy here in SW Florida. During my 10 weekend course my house will be on the market to hopefully sell by years end. I am kind of planning on graduation, home sale and out of state company OTR training to fall into reasonably close timelines.

I am single, 51 years old with hopefully 15 years of work life remaining, my daughter is grown and living in Ohio, I love driving, I consider myself a loner and have very strong work ethic. I just want to drive and bank roll my retirment. It's just my dog and I so my plan is to be a full time trucker living in the truck.

Once my home sells and I have my Florida state CDL I do not plan on buying or renting another home.

I've read some threads here on TT but all are a few years old and it's my understanding that laws have change a bit so I'm hoping that someone has some urrent accurate info on the subject.

Thank you all in advance for your replies. Brad

Posted:  8 months ago

CDL Residence

My other question regarding the topic, I know you need a physical address to get the CDL, but do I need it for any other reason after I get my CDL or can I just open a PO Box and lose the physical address?

Posted:  8 months ago

CDL Residence

Hello again everyone,

Has anyone out there gone the route of selling their home or have decided not to rent, but rather, buy an RV for your full time residence outside of the truck? If so, I would love to hear about any pro's/cons when combined with the trucking lifestyle. I am looking at all options when it comes to cutting costs, as this well needed career change will be a bit of a salary cut for me for a few years, from what I've heard and read.

Posted:  8 months ago

School, OTR Training and Pets

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the site and I am seriously starting to put together a plan to get out of restaurants and into trucking. I'm not necessarily ready to start talking to recruiters at this point unless I really have to. Just gathering info, researching and preparing myself to be 100% ready to jump into the deep end. One of the things kind of holding me back at this point is my dog. I am divorced and kids are grown and into their own lives. The rest of my family lives 2000 miles away and close friends are limited. I live alone with my dog who is not getting any younger. He might have a year or two left. Leaving him with friends or family isn't in the cards and leaving him in a kennel for 3 months is just not an option. I have pretty much narrowed my training companies down to Millis and Stevens for school due to my dog situation and residence in SW Florida because I can commute to Tampa and one week in GA with Millis I can work out pet wise. 8 weeks of OTR training out of state on the other hand is another story. Can anyone here tell me whether or not either of these companies, or any company for that matter, allow for pets during OTR training? Or I am I pretty much in the situation of having to accept the fact that my career change isn't going to happen until my best bud(dog) passes? :-(

Thank you all in advance for your replies,

Brad