Profile For Mr. Curmudgeon

Mr. Curmudgeon's Info

Plainfield, IL

Experienced Driver

4 months ago

Mr. Curmudgeon's Bio

I joined this profession after 28 years in another profession. Knew it was getting time to retire, and started a skills assessment. What did I do daily that I could do when I grew up? Well, sarcasm isn't a marketable skill in the private sector, but DRIVING? That I could do. Didn't hurt that I had a brother doing this for over a decade that said "Hey, you could always drive a truck. I mean, if I can do it... "

Worked about a year and a half doing OTR regional, home every weekend. Learned, a lot. Missed my family, a lot. Got paid by the mile, NOT a lot. Ended up finding a gig with a company that hired me for local driving, home every day, paid by the hour, tractor and trailer shop on site for prompt and effective repairs. Jumped at the chance and haven't looked back. After two years of local work, I climbed back into a sleeper, and am running OTR Regional Midwest pulling intermodal and dry van loads. Happy as a clam again.

I do dabble a bit in training drivers that come over to our company, as a polisher / finisher for folks that need some extra one on one training time to get them fully smoothed out and ready for solo.

Mr. Curmudgeon's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 day, 23 hours ago

Packed and ready to head out to Wolding.

Go git 'em, Grumpy! Best wishes for success and rapid acclimation as you, truly, embark on your new career!!

Posted:  4 days, 17 hours ago

Route 30 shutdown in both directions

Than rt 16 back to Huntington.

Idade! That grocery warehouse, south of town? Manny's a 10-hour break was spent in the dock waiting for the lopers to finish unloading and sorting the stuff I took their.. So glad we do not do grocery loads with my new outfit.

I was fortunate today, in that I went to Grand Rapids, and ran right between the two storm sections. Just a little bit of flurry activity early this morning. Stay safe this weekend to haul who are driving in the midwest, promises to be quite interesting.

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

Questions on getting on with a company sponsored driving school

It is, indeed, a walker Bulldog, m-41A3 I believe. The photo was taken at the first Division Museum, at Cantigny Park, in Wheaton Illinois. It was at my son's first professional orchestral performance, seated as assistant first horn. Quite a grand evening. Sitting in a wooded park area on a beautiful summer evening, surrounded by the conflicting concepts of classical music and Implements of Destruction. Very Germanic and quite Wagnerian...

If you are ever in the western suburbs of Chicago, and have several hours, I highly recommend that you oober over to the first Division Museum. It was put together by Robert McCormick, a first-division veteran of the first world war. It is a moving display. The Gardens are amazing as well!

Posted:  5 days, 1 hour ago

Questions on getting on with a company sponsored driving school

Ok. How do you deal with and control your self?

I recommend a book called "Verbal Judo" by Dr. George Thompson. The concepts are valuable in ANY career. They served me well for 25 years (the first few I wandered, lost in the desert of angst) in my previous career, and they are GOLD in this one

Posted:  5 days, 2 hours ago

Questions on getting on with a company sponsored driving school

"Idiot drivers"?

You only worry about things YOU can control, that's the best way to work through this career (and, if you'll allow me a moment of #NotesFromTheRoad philosophical mumbojumbo) and life in general. You will become the pilot of an 80k vessel capable of destuction and mayhem on a massive scale. YOU control that. Every second you are in that seat. Following distance. Lane position. Constant mirror checks. Speed management. And a daily dose of humility pills.

Nothing they do should rattle your composure or diminsh your professionalism. YOU are the professional driver. Demonstrate that to all.

THAT'S how you deal with idiot drivers...

My opinion only... good-luck.gifgood-luck.gifgood-luck.gif

Posted:  5 days, 18 hours ago

Lot Lizards.

". There are some exit ramps that I swear the same guy has been there for a few years, with the same cardboard sign: "Help Please! Need gas money".

Ya, for his 2018 Caddi Escalade parked around behind the adult video store...

Posted:  5 days, 18 hours ago

Questions on getting on with a company sponsored driving school

Sorry if i sounded harsh, but that is how companies will see it.

check out this article

Nope, not harsh. Blunt and realistic.

Posted:  5 days, 18 hours ago

Questions on getting on with a company sponsored driving school

David, you do have a bit of a hot mess of a background and work history. Like Rainy said, there are issues that you'll have to overcome.

With that said, read the resources available on this site recommended by Erroll and others, related to felons, and just general Preparatory information on what the lifestyle of OTR is. Once you have invested that time and if you are still considering this as a career path, get a job. Keep that job. And start applying to places that have shown a willingness to hire on people with your background.

Make sure it is a place that will employ and train you through the CDL training process. That way you are not spending your limited financial resources on getting a CDL that may or may not do you good in the future. If a company takes you in and pays for you to get your cdl, you'll be well on your way to a new and worthwhile career. If you get turned down due lack of verifiable employment history, take that to heart and keep working and marking the time until you have sufficient work history. Use THAT time to study

High Road CDL Training Program and

Good luck!!

Posted:  5 days, 19 hours ago

Training Starts Monday At McElroy. I Need Advice!

Don't know anything about the company, but the advice I would give you going forward is like others have said, plus unlearn anything you thought you knew specific, except for the basics inspection, hours of service, and driving tactics. Embrace their culture, and give them 110%. It will pay off after the first few months. Wear a hat or a bandana when backing, it keeps the sweat from running into your eyes. Have a flashlight, amazing how many times you are going to need it, even in broad daylight. If you're uncertain, ask. Don't presume to know, that's why they have a training process.

Good luck! You will enjoy it, or you won't, and that's okay too. Sometimes the only way to discover whether you like, or can live, this lifestyle is to immerse yourself into it. And, immersion is the key for the first six to eight months.

Posted:  5 days, 19 hours ago

Passed my CDL

Congratulations, Grumpy!

I was going to take a video of me doing the happy Slappy Dance like the bananas and the dogs and everything else, like everyone else on here has already done, but opted to Simply say congrats, good luck, keep on being safe!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

What are some hobbies you do?

Turtle, thanks. Never thought about doing cache hunts, I used to do that with my son when he was younger. We were Old School, actually using a Magellan Handheld. Im told that people now use their devices... what a change in the world as we know it. I first learned the skill in BSA as " Orienteering" followed up by Land Nav and grid coordinates courtesy of Uncle (lensatic compass with the radioactive logo anyone?).

It would be a great way to occupy sometime, and get in those steps that I otherwise might not... Thank you!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

And now, for something COMPLETELY different!

Thursday afternoon, at the end of my work week (Sun - Thurs) got my Sunday dispatch, a rail chassis witn equipment type "FR" going to Ames, IA. I have never seen that abbreviation, it's not on the preload equip types in our peoplenet, so had to hook up and pretrip the pretrip.

It's a "flat rack" - sort of an IM container without sidewalls, or a flatbed that mount to the top of a container chassis using the pin and twist lock securement method. Very odd, but strangely cool looking apparatus. Just wanted to share the image.

The second photo was taken inside the shop, where it was moved to several issues. The load was 30k, gross puts me about 62k. The front axleslack adjusters were at different angles, right side badly overstroke, right side not up to 90 degree. The DVIR on this rail owned chassis was, lets just say, robust...

Never presume, or assume, that because it was dropped by an experienced driver it is good to go

0213844001547384489.jpg0319968001547384554.jpg0258158001547384614.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Decided to shutdown

Good, no, EXCELLENT call, Stephanie! I70, I72 and I74 thru lower Illinois are in the ice belt, as is I65 thru Indiana around Lafayette. If the prediction is for ice , believe it. In spades. Do you have the road condition web addresses and phone numbers saved in your device? Most states are automated, voice recog, and updated regularly.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

What are some hobbies you do?

I am going to bump this up. It's a couple years old, but still a valid question.

Me? I have taken up the penny whistle, have a book and cd that is used in my laptop during longer my 10's. On my 34, at home, i enjoy time with Mrs.Curmudgeon (the woman who rescued me from myself 30 years ago) and our rescue pocketpittie Miss Melody.

I also try to walk 1.5 miles a day at the end of my drive day. I have found that deliveries or loads into small town America are great for that, if the load or unload is going to be a slow one. I try to snap photos on my phone which capture the tone, and post them for family to see.

How about y'all?

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Truckers Against Trafficking

All of our outit's power units (day cab and sleeper) have the TAT sticker on the driver side vent window, with a text link listed. Not sure how many times, if any, my truck has been involved in helping someone out. One driver peeled it out, and was promptly rebuked. By other drivers. THAT, i thought, was sign that there is still humanity in our profession...

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

There was a robust discussion about that video, if memory serves, on this site. It seemed like the driver was working to create drama for the sake of YouTube.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Got To Get A Sleep Study Done

Mr Groves/Todd Holmes/Ravenswood says:

The key to beating sleep apnea is not being overweight or obese. Being fat is the major cause of needing a CPAP.

Yeah and you can weigh 100 pounds and have genetic apnea.

If i get a breast reduction, i could 50 pounds overnight...but i dont think it is worth it.

rofl-2.gif

Mrs Cumudgeon offered to help me lose 25# of ugly fat. I was excited! Then she pulled out the machete and said "we're going to have to cut off your head..."

My enthusiasm, as you could guess, waned rapidly...

Jamie, I'm glad to hear it's working out for you. You have already noted an improvement, the more you use it, the more comfortable it will become.

I may have misspoken, I use the nasal mask, not the nasal pillows. I tried the pillows, they made me nuts. It is the Comfort gel mask, that only covers my nose.

0505999001547094632.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

The "55 hours a week" is only the time that was actually logged on duty. The company required me to work off the clock illegally, and also commute daily. The total time I was required to be awake was between 85 and 90 hours. Even if the daily commute is removed from that figure, the company was still requiring me to falsify my logs to make it look like I wasn't violating the 70 hour rule, which exists for good reason. I suppose I still won't "get any sympathy", seeing how everyone in this industry is always trying rationalize breaking the law in the name of profit.

Here's where i have to drop the congenial and conciliatory, and throw the Curmudgeonly BooglyShtinky Flag. *NO ONE* made you violate the law. No one made you falsify logs. No one *required* you to do anything illegally.

I don't know in which state you received your CDL, nor what introductory training you received, nor what orientation training you received. I guarantee you, however, that at least once in your training, you were told that no one can coerce you or force you to violate the law. I am certain that is a required component of the standardized curriculum promulgated by thr fmcsa for accredited training programs. Maybe you missed it during the course... Were you encouraged, possibly through peer pressure, to kite the logs? Maybe. But forced? Nah doesn't cut it.

If that were the case, your attorney, you know, the one that told you not to say anything that would make you seem guilty, would have jumped all over that opportunity to extract a hefty price. From the evil commercial entity which trampled on you. Fact of the matter is, you made the choice to do that. I get really aggravated when people blame their criminality, or bad choices, on being forced to do it by someone else. You probably went thru a DARE program in your younger years.. or have heard of one. Just say No? Call 911?

I can put myself in your shoes as a new driver, and the whole paper log thing. If you were on paper logs when this happened, and you went along with the program, knowing it was illegal, then shame on you. Not shame on your company. Shame on you.

I quit an outfit because I did not want to bend space and time the way many others there did. YOU had options, you just chose not to take them.

There is no excuse, there is no rationalization, there is no they forced me.

Sorry for the vent, but 28 years of listening to people with the same line of hooey finally rose up like bile.

I've got a 10 hr break to finish.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

Thank you g town! I was starting to wonder if this was another "Todd" post... It like a train wreck. You know you should watch it, but goldurn it, it's just riveting... dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

Starting to sound the the Gurnee, IL thing from a year or so ago....

Ian, if you dont know the signs of fatigue then, yes, i agree with your decision to seek a new career path. Dont look to law enforcement, fire / ems, or the military as they all *also* require a high level of attentiveness when on duty. I've done all three, and speak from experience. I watched as a young man torpedoed a promising career by claiming his wreck came as s result of avoiding a deer crossing the road in front of him.

Further, since you claim to have been fatigued but didnt know it, you may need to explore the possibility that you have a medical condition causing microsleep episodes. Sleep apnea? Take the online confidential assessment. Neuro issues? Glycemia issues? Maybe a full on medical workup would be in order.

Or, your 'unexpected rapid onset fatigue episode' could have been a deer crossing the road in front of a young man's minivan. A seemingly viable explanation. In any event, good fortune to you as you move forward.