Profile For Taco Samuelson

Taco Samuelson's Info

Seattle, WA

Considering A Career

1 year, 10 months ago

Taco Samuelson's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  6 months ago

Boil it down -- what do you LOVE about trucking?

I've been a busy bee today, taking notes and doing a little studying (considering the career). I'm wondering from y'all on the road -- what do you LOVE about the job? What keeps you coming back after your resets and home time? Is it just saving for retirement? Habit? Naa, there's gotta be that ______. What is that for you?

Posted:  6 months ago

You cant makey money saying no

I dont generally say no. Even when I don't have the hours or I'm heading for home. What I will do is contact my DM and see what the plan is. A lot of times they will have me pick up the load and then get it repowered.

Usually when I get sent a screwed up load my DM hasn't seen it yet. When she does she will decline it.

I get that, like be willing to assume the best ("home is west and you're sending me east????") but also check in and state your needs ("I put in for home-time a week ago")

@Errol V, lol, 3 of your 4 situations are being a lazy bum. I love that you still made it four and not two, to really get at the point. I appreciate there is the "home time put in" exception for not so much saying "no.", as much as it is having a direct conversation.

Posted:  6 months ago

How to pull my civilian driving record?

Thanks! That got me pointed in the right direction.

Turns out the speeding ticket was 5 years ago in January, so I should be good on that for the companies I've been looking that. My only concern is I did neglect to pay that ticket on time which suspended my license until July 2017, aka not-quite 3 years ago. . . I'll see if I can get a recruiter on the phone, but I wonder if that'll hose me until July. It wasn't suspended for points (poor driving) but for being irresponsible financially.

Posted:  6 months ago

You cant makey money saying no

Spoonerist said...

mix of local and regional.

How'd you pull that off? I think I read you're with one of the big carriers too, right? Dang man, I like your attitude about local => better backing ; ). Right now, you are my trucking spirit animal, whatever that means, lol.

Big T said...

You can't make money saying no

I guess my question is when is an appropriate time to say no? I can only imagine in my desk job saying yes to everything would burn me out quick. . . same in trucking, or? (I'm considering the career)

Posted:  6 months ago

How to pull my civilian driving record?

Howdy folks, The long-short of it is I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row... lay it all out on my parent's big ol' table that's used only at Thanksgiving and Xmas. . . and then decide one way or the other (for now) about trucking. Since my first road trip to the Grand Canyon at age 7, there's been a fascination in me with life on the road. I've been to college, I've had desk jobs, I've had people jobs, I've had grunt jobs. I've tried to apply Mr Aquila's (Brett's) advice about "stick to it for a year" to my current non-trucking job, and alas, I feel like I keep trying to cram myself into this "everybody box" when maybe something outside that box is more in order.

How do I pull my "civilian" driving record, as in, how can I see what a trucking company would see when they're looking to make a hiring decision? I've had some speeding tickets in the past... I thiiiiink they were over 3 years ago but my remember-er can be faulty when it wants to be. Wilson Logistics, for example, looks 3 years back it seems (from their website).

I've got time. I'm employed, etc. I got this far a year and change ago but I opted for this new gig I've got going now. Well, a year later and I'm still yearning for that "weird" life on the road. . . idk. . . I'm just doing my due diligence before I take the plunge. Y'all are the best, and please, lay into me if you see something I'm missing, I want to be tested. Y'all as a community seem to be in high gear about personal responsibility, so please, let me know how to prepare!!!

Thanks for the rant. For now, reading your messages (esp the diaries) keep me hopeful that maybe my situation will improve, whether its through a career change into the trucking industry or something else. Hard to explain, but thanks. -BWH

Posted:  6 months ago

Griffin CDL Diary- Wilson Logistics

Thanks for the updates! Wilson is one of the companies I'd consider my first year with if/when I make the plunge into trucking, so thanks for all the info!

Posted:  6 months ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

Last night I re-read my thread. Holy Moly! I can’t believe it’s only been 2 months. The amount of chaos and learning I’ve done since November is staggering. Things that were stressful during my OTR trip are just routine now.

As someone who is considering the industry, how did you muscle through that first OTR trip? I suppose all jobs have a ~3-6 month curve of hard-learning/learning-the-hard-way... so if you're feeling routine after 2 months that sounds promising! But yeah, was it just kinda a "breathe" and keep positive? Any tips?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

My trainer kept apologizing to me because of the lack of room and available storage. I threw my duffle bag and back up on the top bunk spread out a blanket and realize that little cramp space was going to be my mini studio apartment. About two weeks in I was getting down the top bunk and my elbow hit this latch and this storage door popped open. Because the top mattress generally covered the handle /latch it looked like one solid unit. We ended up using it to store gifts I got for the family and ballcaps

That's awesome. thank-you-2.gif

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Living in the cab, what is that like?

Lol! Ahhhh, its so funny to get all the responses that resonate. When I talk with non-truckers or non-trucking-enthusiasts, its like "You're gonna clean your plates in the shower!" in a bad way. Whereas here, its like, "You're gonna clean your plates in the shower!" in a . . . funky-in-a-good-way sense.

I'm 33, shoutout to andhe78. . .

If/when I choose to enter this industry as a worker (still a dreamer too, but. . . worker), I definitely will not have the resume of a "stereotypical" trucker. Aaaaand, at least here, I have yet to online-meet one, single, stereotypical, trucker. And the vlogs of people entering then quitting, you know, they aren't the stereotypes either. The freedom of trucking is almost, and essentially, the freedom to be a trucker. To sign up for all the BS of the lifestyle because you there is something pulling you.

"Living in a cab is an adventure," not some sort of shameful horrible thing that only shameful horrible people find fun/comfortable!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

FREE ebooks Sept 30 to Oct 2

I'm an audio-book guy for a story. I'm good at reading manuals and that non-fiction kinda "learn the info" with my eyes, but a story is better in the ear. To my tremendous excitement, Rainy D.'s stories are also published in audio!!! There's a "sample" available too, to make sure you jive with the narrators voice.

I'm thinking on the "young adult leaving their hometown, stepping on boat. . . " story or the "evil, murdering spirit returns" one.

I used to have an Audible account in like 2010, and apparently I've been gone long enough to get the free trial again, and it looks like both of those books are eligible for the "first book is free" coupon. I didn't look too deeply into this, ymmv.

That's so cool, though. . . I'll post back once I have some relevant comments to one of your publications!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Living in the cab, what is that like?

Question: How do you manage living in such a small apartment? Or, what is like to have access to 1000's of showers, but they're long miles apart. Old school truckers prolly will laugh, but whats the screen-situation like? Just my phone, or room for a TV? Wifi? Cell reception? Satellite radio? What do you like, dislike and wish you had. . .

I've got a follow-up question brewing about life outside-the-cab, so just "in the cab," for now!

Sorry, lots of questions there! But yeah, life in the cab. . . whats it like, good and bad?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Hello Fall

Today is my Friday (still in an office job). . . and I live in CO. . . thanks for the inspiration to get out there with my camera and enjoy my current situation! Trucking calls, but hell, you do what you can to enjoy the moments we're offered!

Superb photo!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Prospective trucker asks, "Isolation and loneliness. What is your experience?"

Here is an excerpt from the notes I have made on the subject…

Dang, G-Town, those are solid notes! What I got out of it was sort of. . . pointing the microscope on my daily habits, especially the ones I don't notice (because they're habits, kinda the point is to not notice them!). Those "unnoticed things that will change as a trucker" are important to how I understand a value like Freedom. . . so if we accept that the value doesn't change, but our interaction with it. . . what happens when you're 2000 miles away from your destination with more-or-less time to get it done? GPS helps, and there are rules and e-logs by which you gotta obey... otherwise, its your job, your responsibility, your reputation in this career. I guess the "hidden" factor, for me, at least, is just enjoying that personal feeling of a job well done. I'm no saint, I just think it feels better to be noticed as "gets it done" when you aren't expecting to be noticed for doing your damn job.

Very thought provoking, G-Town, thanks!

this is the probably one of the top three jobs in the world

I'm still learning this forum, so hopefully you'll see this, Mr. Curmudgeon. . . What would you say the other two jobs are on that list? LOL, maybe I don't want to know, as it could just be a distraction from checking "100k+ miles in a big rig" off of my bucket list. For me, it'd be owner of a company (doing whatever, the principle being it was mine) or. . . dang. . . yeah, I guess trucking is a top job if you want the lifestyle. Seriously. . . what other job in the USA offers good coin for the ability/requirement to be a traveler? A professional migrant.

------------------ Satellite radio has been brought up. What is cell phone coverage like? Well, non-roaming coverage. I was living in upstate NY when an older couple died in the winter on I-87 in the Adirondaks when their car broke down. They had a cell phone, but no coverage. It was a thing, and afterwards my hiking buddies were stoked that the whole interstate was given poor, but passable, cell-phone coverage through and through. I'm guessing this isn't always the case??

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Prospective trucker asks, "Isolation and loneliness. What is your experience?"

Awesome, thanks for the replies. What y'all said is kinda my theory about how I'd handle it... I've got family (blood or not) spread throughout the country and if I'm trucking, my relationship with them is no different (all over a cable in one form or another)... and if I'm trucking, hell, I could maybe arrange some "home-time" with them instead of my "home" listed on my forms and tax returns. Like... "Once a decade we get to touch flesh and laugh like you do with old friends? F' that, I'm coming to you!"

I'm also drawn into the notion of being kinda "anonymous." I currently work phones... its a fine job at a fine company (hard work and looking out for each other is valued), its just my lifestyle that I'm disappointed in. Anyway, from working phones I have spent a few units-of-time thinking about how to build trust with strangers. I guess I like it, the thrill of meeting strangers and seeking out that conversation. Nothing ventured nothing gained... venture and nothing lost, even if it ends poorly... sometimes free things cost you something, I guess!!!

I feel like I live in a city (and I pay city rent + city taxes)... but my nature is to travel and be aloof yet very warm. My friends are either people I've known for a short time... or a very long time... and you know, every once in a while one of those short-term friends sticks around and they become family, but yeah... I think this quality of mine is something that would be in my pocket on the road.

Thanks for my rants and your replies!!! I'm gonna push myself and tomorrow answer this thread (if its still alive) and post in another one. Thanks again!

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Prospective trucker asks, "Isolation and loneliness. What is your experience?"

**The ice-breaker question: Trucking appeals to a sense of freedom. What about the loneliness? In my desk-job, I have people that I can go to, and I have people that just kinda... look after me. As a prospective trucker, I have a worry that I'll be "too free." Too isolated. Too lonely.

From the podcasts and some of the posts I've read, one of the "warnings" or ... "romance is fun, but its a job and career" ... I've heard about isolation. Freedom is what I imagine it feels like on those sunny days. But I've seen the winter before (only to see spring again!), and I'm just wondering what y'alls experience with isolation and loneliness (aka winter) is when you're operating that truck for that company, and you're days away from family. ------------------------------------ First post!

I'm considering the career. Over the past year or so, I've listened to all of Brett's podcasts. Some a few times, like reading that dusty comic book under a box of old toys. And I've chilled with some vlogs. And I've been on some deep, internet rabbit-hole, explorations. Trucking has been on the brain since I was in middle-school, on a family vacation to and through the 4-corner states. My hometown (back then) of Dallas just got a lot, freaking, bigger.

I've had a lot of dreams in my life. Trucking has been there since I first made a list, and while the list hasn't gotten shorter... trucking is getting towards the top.

Whats it like??? I'm ~6mo out from a decision point... no rash decisions is a lesson I learned the hard way... so I'm deciding to try to strike up a chat!