Profile For Solo

Solo's Info

Des Moines, IA

Rookie Solo Driver

7 months, 3 weeks ago

Solo's Bio

40, Single, no kids, and ready to go OTR.

Solo's Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 days, 6 hours ago

From .48¢/mile to a $1,600wk salary

I'm currently grossing 1800/wk as a company driver. I can't believe that there are O/O's making less.

That's criminal but reinforces where I'll be staying as it pertains to company vs O/O.

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Living in the Truck

Great post / question.

That is my plan as well. Being single, no kids, put all my crap in storage and ready to live life on the go.

Good luck with your plans and remember, it's all what you put into it !

I had my truck in for its first service this past weekend and took the opportunity to clean out the rest of my storage unit and made 2 deliveries to the salvation army.

After being on the road I got to thinking about how each month I'm paying for something to store stuff I clearly don't need since it would be in my truck if I did. Then got to thinking about how I would be paying for stuff I'm not using, and should I need it down the road, I'll just replace it should that time come, versus spending money each month and ultimately buying the stuff over-and-over again each month by way of paying storage fees.

Now if I could only get rid of my car. It's a lease so the dealership won't take it back early. Even offered to pay them the balance in full. Nope. They want it back in March 2021.

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Living in the Truck

Solo said: "I don't 1/2 ass anything."

Except your drivers seat!

rofl-1.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gif

Today wasn't SO bad.

I focused a lot on those above exercises more than just my usual subconscious act of doing them already, and it actually seemed to help.

But ya, I'm a small dude...something these seats weren't specifically designed to support, haha

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Future era of cab-less trucks will be the end of HOS rules

When they remove Engineers from trains and pilots from planes, I'll start to be concerned. Until then, this is all left-wing BS, imo.

Will it happen? You bet.

In my life time? No chance.

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

First Inspection

Some companies pay a “clean inspection bonus”. The higher the inspection level, the more you make for no discrepancies.

TMC pays for clean inspections and $100 per clean Hazmat inspection.

One driver got his first inspection and happened to be under a HM load. After his clean inspection, he called Safety to inform, and Safety said if he got another clean inspection, he would double the bonus, so he pulled into another weigh station and asked for an inspection since "it's my first HM load, and I want to make sure everything is correct".

Needless to say, there's a cap now on a given day.

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Falcon Transport

Was behind 1 today as well.

Posted:  5 days, 20 hours ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

They also added their "Gold Membership" for truck-specific routing stating in the forum (within their app) that Silver Members only receive car specific navigation to which I asked why on earth would people PAY to use an app called TRUCKER Path for car specific directions when google maps work JUST fine for free.

I'm still waiting for their reply.

For the predictive parking info, which is pretty much worthless.

More than just predictive parking.

You will get different navigation between free, Silver, and Gold.

Posted:  5 days, 20 hours ago

Living in the Truck

Solo, when you do something you do it all the way. I like your style!

To a fault even, I don't 1/2 ass anything.

All or nothing.

Posted:  6 days, 5 hours ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

I'm still waiting for their reply.

Posted:  6 days, 5 hours ago

Living in the Truck

I donated all of my belongings to Goodwill and Salvation Army, and have been living out of my truck full time for nearly 4 months.

I have $917/month in recurring bills and currently avg gross $1800/wk.

The truck has satellite Radio as well as Satellite TV.

I have unlimited 4g internet for my laptop and tablet.

Purchased a dometic fridge to hold heavy whipping cream for my coffee and almond milk for my cereal.

Bought a sleep number mattress and pillow and literally look forward to sleeping in this thing every night and sleep very comfortably. I literally can't even fathom going out and buying a house or renting another apartment and pay for all that unused and wasted space.

The best financial decision I've made.

Posted:  6 days, 5 hours ago

New driver legs and but are killing me!

Another thing to keep in mind when sitting for long periods of time is the risk of blood clots. Blood that pools, as in the feet, has a tendency to clot. It's a good idea to do leg exercises while you are driving every once in awhile.

This is crazy. I already do each and every one of these subconsciously, and pretty much in the order, she showed. As I was watching this video I was like..wait, I do that...ok, cool. Then the next exercise and so forth...too funny.

I also kick my legs straight out under the dash and flex/stretch them and also stand up off the seat.

As for the butt issue, I'm in the same boat. I'm about 155-160lbs, and my butt has 2 pressure points w/ this Peterbilt seat. I purchased a seat cushion from Costco hoping it would alleviate the issue, but in fact, all it did was put pressure on my hamstrings, so I tried lowering the seat as mentioned a few times above, but to no avail.

I then purchased a double-sided purple seat cushion and it actually made things worse as it wasn't big enough to fit the dimensions of these large truck seats and rolled my legs inward and caused groin discomfort.

So THEN I purchased the super-duper-deluxe purple seat cushion as it was large enough to cover the entire truck seat....only to not provide any relief of 2 pressure points I get when just sitting in the seat w/ no cushion at all. All I can deduce as it pertains to the purple seat cushions is if you're a bigger person, then you might have enough weight to get proper support cushion...and that aside, it's so dang slippery that it slides all around the seat, especially as you exit the truck.

So $300 in seat cushions and I'm no closer to being comfortable than I was day one.

Back to the drawing board.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

How do I get something mailed to me while I'm otr

I have a mail forwarding service set-up out of South Dakota, and have both my moms and dads homes addresses set-up, so should I plan to take a 34 at either of their places, I have have the mail fwd'ing service send my mail there. If I know I'm going to either address and order something from amazon or the like, then I'll just have it shipped to my moms or dads.

I also set-up a PO Box right down the street from my main Termainl in Iowa. So for instance, I'm here now for service, and swung by my PO Box this morning and collected my Amazon (UPS), and FedEx pacakages, as well as regular first class mail.

Cost of course to have both a PO Box and Mail forwarding service, but well worth my time in exchange of the cost incurred.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Hazmat fingerprints

My results for both my TWIC and HM took ~2 hours.

I opted to call the 800#, instead of waiting ~1-2 weeks for the paper notification, and the lady was really nice and informed me that both had been reviewed and granted and that the following day my DMV would have the results transmitted.

Years past you would have to wait for the letter to arrive in the mail and then deliver that letter in person to your DMV to obtain the HM endorsement on your CDL.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Backing Problem With AutoShift Trans

This is about the ONLY thing I like about my auto-shift...it's smooth backing.

It backs just fine in normal operation, but there are times that I will turn the Hill Assist feature off, and I can feather the truck back as needed.

But lurching (in rev) is something it has never done loaded, empty, or bobtail.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

TMC CDL (in-house) training day 1

Another 3 loads, another $2k.

0004939001556877281.jpg

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

TMC CDL (in-house) training day 1

Wanted to give an update w/ regards to pay. Everyone ultimately isn't trying to work for free/peanuts.

This week's gross is $1812.45 and that was only 3 loads.

This current week (paid next Friday) will be over $2k gross and again only 3 loads.

These are based on 32% pay, and I should be going up to 33% for May, so a 1% raise.

26% my 1st month

32% my 2nd month

33% my 3rd month (we'll see)

Between March and April, I've driven 21,447 miles @ combined $.57cpm (not including tarp or bounce/deadhead pay)

Posted:  1 month ago

Fringe financial benefits of trucking

I went from paying $23k/yr in rent + utilities to $0/yr moving into my tractor. My insurance on my car dropped by 50% since I never drive it and placed it into "storage" for insurance purposes (It just stays parked at the terminal)

Posted:  1 month ago

First week...are all companies schedules this tight?

I'm avg 3300mi/week w/ TMC Transportation thus far and we're planned off a 58mph avg with trucks governed at 62mph, which means you had better get efficient at your securement/tear down really quick and hope you're not stuck at sucksville, Silver Grove, or Wire Mesh (or the like) for 8 hours+.

That being said, TMC's policy is not assigned time-sensitive loads to rookie drivers for at least their first 6 months.

There have been loads where the miles and truck avg of 62mph + Atlanta Traffic simply equaled not making an appointment. I've macro'd my FM and has not been a problem changing the appt time.

Where it DOES become a problem is when you running off and doing you're own thing (take 12 hour reset instead of 10, or whatever the case may be) and show-up late and not involving your FM and creating a chargeable ETA change.

Point being, involve your FM sooner, rather than later.

Posted:  1 month ago

Weather today!

I have to be in Grand Rapids and drove through that mess as well, but I pushed through at 55mph. I told my trainer yesterday that I've not seen wind or rain like that in quite some time, and I'm born/raised in Florida. It was pretty gnarly stuff.

Thankfully I made it to Charleston, MV and SHOULD make my con Sunday night.

Posted:  1 month ago

Hey old school or other flatbedders

I'm paid off percentage, so I don't really worry about my length of haul with regards to pay, but clock mgmt (will I be able to make it to my consignee at night, so I can start my clock AFTER I've been unloaded).

BUT, in the spirit of answering the question, my avg run currently: 814mi.