Profile For Eggman

Eggman's Info

Somewhere, MD

In CDL School

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Eggman's Bio

As I inspect my air hoses- I will check to make sure they are not worn, torn, or frayed. I will make sure there are no leaks, and that my air hoses are mounted securely. The air hoses are connected to the brake chamber- I will inspect the brake chamber to ensure it is not cracked, bent, or broke. I will also insure it’s not leaking and that it is mounted securely.

The brake chamber is connect to the push rod and clevis hanger. I will ensure the push rod and clevis hanger are not cracked, bent, or broken, and that they are mounted securely. Attached to the clevis hanger is the slack adjuster with pins and cotter keys. I will check to make sure my slack adjust is not cracked, bent, or broken and that it is mount securely.

If I wanted to manually check my slack adjuster- I would park my truck on level ground, chock the wheels, set the brakes, and tug on my slack adjuster. It should not move more than an inch. The slack adjuster is connected to the s-cam shaft. I will check to make sure the s-cam shaft is not cracked, bent, or broken, and that it is mounted securely.

The s-cam shaft enters the brake drum. I will inspect the brake drum to ensure it is not cracked, bent, or broken, and that it is free of debris, grease, and oil- as well and ensure that it is mounted securely. I will also check my brake pads- to ensure that they are not worn dangerously thin- no less than a fourth of an inch thick.

Posted:  12 hours, 29 minutes ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Hey everyone! So- I wanted to go ahead and report my updates on this school. I took my cdl exam Wednesday and passed! It was nerve wrecking- I even stalled the truck to a dead stop once near the ending. The state trooper was very kind and understanding and that helped a lot with the test.

I am excited to say that I have a job lined up with Foodliner. Hopefully I will get started within a couple of weeks.

In regards to the school- I was more or less disappointed. I was expecting a more structured approach to the learning materials- rather than just handing out a packet to read. Five months was a long time and I spent most of it twiddling my thumb day dreaming. I feel it could had been more beneficial if my instructors cared more about the classroom time than the drive time.

Fortunately I was able to clear up all issues on my MVR - which was the main reason I decided to pick a five month course. Idk how many of you actually attempted to contest stuff on your driving record- but it took me 4 months.

I had a ton of issues with finance and so on- but outside of that- it was nice to spend three hours a day for five months practicing ore trip and maneuvers as well as shifting.

Could I had learned all this in four weeks? Yes. However- I’m grateful for the five months. It also showed me how much I didn’t know. How easy it is to make a mistake. I also made some good friends. I’m grateful.

Maybe I’ll start a thread with my Foodliner training if anyone is curious.

I hope everyone is doing well- and thank you for all your input!

-Jesse

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

I'm starting with Schneider myself next week they seem pretty promising as a starter company.

Schneider is probably where I’m gonna start once I have my CDL- as I can transfer into the tanker division once I have some experience without switching companies.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Hola,

I’ve been in Mod2 for the past two weeks. The six hour days are split, three hours classroom and three hours application. We did bob tail straight backing for a week, then did straight backing with a trailer this entire week. Next week is driver side off set. The classroom portion has been a joke, to say the least. Lots of “down time” for one reason or another. We are not allowed to pretrip when we are out on the field because that time is “scheduled for maneuvers only” but they have been failing to let us pre trip during classroom time on a truck. Sure- we did in cab with a picture projected on the screen, some practice is better than none.

Fortunately, since I’m on the afternoon scheadule, I only have one other student training with me and we challenge each other on the pre trips every 30 mins. One time he challenged me to do the in cab backwards. Gotta have fun, right?

I also have some updates on my MVR, aparantly Washington State issued two people (myself and another bloke) the same ID number- and we have been sharing records for a few years now. They are “investigating” further and trying to take off the items that will prevent me from getting hired and some companies (Maverick already told me they wouldn’t even bring me to orientation till I fixed it). It’s been tedious as I’ve been trying to get this fixed for two months now. Thankfully, I still have a few months left of school to sort that jazz out so I’m not just sitting around with a CDL I can’t use.

All in all, it’s a slow, snail paced process. I take it for what it is, and enjoy my home time while I can. I enjoy being able to focus on maneuvers a bit longer.

I’m excited to start my career next spring.

Hope everyone is staying warm. -Eggman

Posted:  4 months ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Sorry I haven’t posted In a couple days. Tho not much to say , I had a few highlights of the tandem days.

Studied pre trip on equipment we won’t be tested on, and we will have to learn pretrip on another truck, of a separate brand and motor.

(We’re in the process of transitioning trucks -old to new-, a down fall of a 5 month program.)

Bright side? This way will allow me to recognize parts rather than patterns. (I am not mechanically Inclined. )

I got to drive a bobtail KW. Learning how to double clutch. Circled the yard with a team, restricted to 15mph (Tho the instructor’s 15 whas our 10. “Mission first, Saftey always!” He’d bellow).

I’ll tell ya. I’ve never learned how to drive a clutch. I literally Killed the engine first clutch attempt. I progressively got better through the rounds, and something kept nagging at me.

*Even tho I’ve studied it- that means nothing without application.

Continuing:

I finally got my permit! (Yay!)

I procrastinated on my HAZMAT Final and had to sit my practice time out to answer each question and provide the page number in the cdl handguide, even tho I passed the hazmat with a 92 for the permit. This basically reduced my practice time to 2 hours. (Moral of the story? Don’t procrastinate kids- or you’ll have to play catch-up.)

Over all- not a bad couple days. I’ve been reconsidering my rookie year company. Should I really do dry van/reefer my first year, or could I accomplish the necessary experience safely in a flat bed? Because specializing in a load helps narrow down prospect companies (Whicn they all typically carry dry van. A smaller selection helps prevent being overwhelmed by all the possible choices available to start my first year).

With that being said- next week starts Mode 2.

Happy Thanksgiving! -Eggman

Posted:  4 months ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Began Pretrip today. Not being mechanically inclined, it was head scratching reading it and doing it initially. I have always heard of the alternator- but never knew what it looked like until today.

Since it’s a short week- it looks like we will be doing this for three days.

I’ll keep ya posted.

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Thank you for you advice, Old School.

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months ago

G-Town

Thanks for that thread. I appreciate the advice.

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months ago

-sigh-

It always feels like I’m getting friction from you guys.

I was already enrolled in this course before you guys “advised” me not to do it.

I chose this five month course because it gives me five months to get my arrangements in order- and also- don’t forget that it’s actually FREE. I get paid 1k a month to attend there as well. This scenario is better for me.

In regards to the tanking aspect- I asked for some insight- to get different opinions and point of views- but it seems we are still hung up on this cdl school decision I made.

I’ve read EVERY link shared. I’ve done tons of research- I am aware of the risks involved.

Here is the mentality it feels you guys are pushing. I’m gonna give you an example- but please don’t take this like I’m comparing apples to oranges, as I’m sure that will come up.

I’ve worked in kitchens for 13 years. 6 of which being in the Army (I’ve got tons of experience driving trucks there, btw). There is something Chefs usually like doing to new hires, especially if they are inexperienced. We toss them in the dish pit. That’s where the totem poll starts. In this case- it’s like-able to dry van. You have to learn the feel of the industry, learn the terminologies, learn how to approach people i.e. servers, customers, management, fellow cooks (disparchers, suppliers, cops, fellow truckers in the trucking world), and learn how to build up your stamina. It takes different levels of experience to handle certain equipment and cook certain foods (like driving certain equipment and certain loads).

I get it.

This is the first time I’ve actually asked for advise I believe- but disregard it. I’ll Continue to post my experiences here- not for you guys who seem to critique my words and dissect my actions, but for myself. I wanna document my experiences somewhere- and I figured Trucking Truth would be a great outlet for this.

If someone reads this and it helps them in some way- then great. If not, then great.

This isn’t intended to get anyone riled up- of offend anyone- or be disrespectful or come off as arrogant. It is, simply, what it is. My documented experiences of the choices I made- discussing my intents for the future. We all know that I am not the only person who is choosing this path.

However- I have taken your concerns to heart. I still have plenty of time to decide what company to pursue. Tons of research to be done- and lots of personal feelings to set aside. I certainly don’t wanna rush things- and kill someone. Until next time-

Eggman

Posted:  4 months ago

CDL Training at a Local College Truck Driving Academy

I can imagine how the simulator could be a bit annoying. I’ve seen pictures of how small they tend to be. Interesting to hear someone give an honest review of it.

It’d be awesome if Walmart actually did show up. You should post some pictures If they do. At my school- we had Tristate high security, Schneider, transland, RBX inc, us xpresss, and DOT so far. All very interesting, but all spouting similar dialogues. In the end tho- it’s good to gain experience talking with recruiters- as it makes it easier to ask the important questions rather than getting caught up in the glamor.

Hope your short week goes well! Peace out, Eggman.

Posted:  4 months ago

Hello everyone.

I wanted to give an update of the ending of last week. Thursday we studied Hazmat- then took the test on Friday. I passed with a 92. They gave me a piece of paper stating that I now need to pay 90 bucks for a TSA background check. I asked my school if this is an expense that they would pay (as I’m dropping almost 10k for the class) and come to find out- they don’t. Now gotta save some money for that.

Next week is a short week due to Turkey Day. Three days of pre-trip inspections. I’m Gonna make it a goal to try to have most of it memorized before thanks giving- and hopefully all of it memorized by the time I return to class the following Monday.

I believe I have made a decision on which company I wanna pursue once I have my CDL. I know it’s not recommended- but Schneider has (from what I’ve researched) one of the best tanker training out there for experienced and inexperienced drivers alike. Tanking is a serious interest of mine- and there is a specific job position I’m looking to snag in Washington State once I have at least 15 months of experience.

If anyone has any thoughts on Schneider- or maybe recommends on another company to train me on pulling a tank that could prove to be a better experience- I’m all ears. I do know that it’s recommended for new drivers to start with dry van. What can I say tho- I’m not following that recommendation if a company will allow me to start on a tank.

I want to also note: I finished Brett’s Book last night. It was a great read. I certainly have more concerns now than I did before. I also feel more at ease too. Nothing really surprised me when I was reading it, except maybe the cheating the log books part.

I definitely have some specific questions to ask Doug (my recruiter) and try to get some things in writing.

Anyways, I hope everyone’s weekend is going swell. Until next time- Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

CDL Training at a Local College Truck Driving Academy

This school sounds awesome! Sounds like your doing great. Thanks for posting your experiences!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Took and passed my tanker and double/triples with a 100 on each. Today class was let out early. Went in for about 1.5 hours to watch a video on YouTube about slack adjusters (how to replace). I suppose this was to give us a better understanding of how it works. The video was only 10 min. The rest of the time was self study.

Then I went home after passing the tests at the DOL.

Tomorrow is Hazmat.

See you then. -Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

After a long weeked - Tuesday came and gone. We studied doubles/triples as well as tanker from the cdl handbook. Watched a couple videos about roll overs and attaching a dolly. Today was slow- and all the teachers seemed a bit worried as some big wigs came in to evaluate the school to see if they should maintain their accreditation, which I suppose is something that happens every five years. Of my six logged “classroom” hours- maybe 3.5 was used for instruction. Another hour for self study on Trucking truth and cdl study budy. 1.5 hour of sitting around lolly gagging.

Sure is slow paced... It baffles me a bit that we don’t use every minute available, but I am not the professor. What’s even crazier- is there are students who try to leave early and skip class. I just want my monies worth of education.

Tomorrow I take the tanker and double/triple endorsements exams. Then we begin hazmat. I’m truly exited for the hazmat - as I’m fascinated by the idea of hauling hazardous materials.

Until tomorrow- -Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Mcelroy vs maverick pay

Tyler, you are brand new at this, and I understand where you are coming from wanting to make sure you are going to be getting lots of miles and making the best pay you can, but you are probably a little nervous about those things because of what you've read online or heard other students talking about.

Here's the deal on how it works in the real world of driving trucks. Any and all of the fairly large carriers, and I would include both McElroy, and Maverick in that group, hove got tons of freight, which means they can give you all the miles that you can handle. The key to your success lies in your approach to the job. I emboldened that last statement because I'm hoping you will see the importance in it. I drove the first sixteen months of my career for Western Express, a company that has had nothing but slanderous lies and ridiculous accusations railed against it on the internet. I loved it over there, made some really good money, and received accolades and rewards for being a "top performer." I would probably still be over there, had I not received a very generous offer from Knight Transportation to participate in a new dedicated flat-bed program they were getting into. You simply cannot measure your success in "cents per mile" or average miles weekly. I never wanted to know how many miles do the other guys average. Here is what I looked for in my job: I wanted to make sure that I was one of the guys who was up at the top keeping those averages as high as they could be. Because let me warn you there are a lot of slackers in this business who do nothing but complain that they are not getting their share of the miles.

Here's an example my dispatcher shared with me last week. He told me he had a couple of drivers who were complaining about not getting enough miles. He asked me if I wouldn't mind running a few trips into some different areas than I am usually assigned, while he let them try running some of the loads that I usually handle up into the North East areas like Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York. I told him it made no difference to me, I might enjoy a change in scenery and I knew I could still get just as many miles because I'm gonna hustle on each load and get it in there early enough so that I can move on to the next load. Just a few days later he dispatches me to Connecticut, so I inquire "what happened to running me in some other parts of the country?" Well, he said "those two guys were more specifically complaining that they heard some rumors that you were doing 3,200+ miles a week, and they thought they were getting cheated, but when I tried to send them to New Jersey, and New York, they started saying Oh No, we're not going up there." You see, they were exactly right about the kind of miles I run, but when the reality of how I do that stuff was presented to them they didn't want any part of it!

Tyler, find a company that you seem to think will fit with your personality and go with it. Realize that for at least a year you are going to be in a huge learning curve - seriously it will take almost that long to get to where you will have enough understanding about the job so that you can out perform the other drivers. Performance - your performance, is what it is all about. The folks who prove themselves and make stuff happen out here on the road are the ones who get the most miles and make the best money. You will never be satisfied if you are continually looking for the best paying company, or the company that you think treats their drivers the best. The best drivers are treated the best - that's a simple truth that most people never understand. Jump in there and do your best, and you will soon discover that what I'm telling you is the "Trucking Truth."

This comment tho! Even tho I’m not the OP- I will be taking this comment to heart and carry it with me.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Thanks G-Town, and to be frank- I honestly didn’t notice that either until after I had enrolled. (Silly me)

I certainly hope the “remedial training” will have more behind the wheel action. There are only four of us in this class at this time- and am hoping due to the small number, I can get some actual hands on time. I have no idea how to drive a stick and they claimed to teach me.

I will go through this articles- thanks for the links, I am glad to have a place such as this for resources. I will be sure to keep a good update on this progress. It’ll be interesting to see how this goes myself.

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Thanks and thank you for your service to our country. I mean it. Veteran's Day isn't just about days off and discounts. :-)

Thank you for the kind words.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

Yes. This is true. Fortunately- my MVR is good. I’m just waiting for a call back from the department of licensing.

I would like to note tho- the school I’m attending made me do a drug test and print out my MVR as well as get a DOT medical card prior to enrollment. I had to explain and prove that these items on my MVR wasn’t mine. I was fortunate they required me to print one out- because I would had never known about the misinformation being reflected.

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

I want to add a correction to a comment I made:

I have not read Brett's book yet. This is something I am just now starting.

:D

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

I have been asked to share the curriculum for this course I am attending. I wanted to upload a picture of the module highlights, but I can't seem to find the paperwork just yet. Once I do, I will upload that Picture. However, I was able to get a basic outline from the school's website, which I'll share now:

Weeks 1-4: • CDL permit test preparation • CDL endorsement preparation (doubles/triples and tankers) • Vehicle inspection for daily operation and safe practices • Hazardous material (hazmat) training

Weeks 5-12: • Vehicle inspection for daily operation and safe practices • Read and identify instrument control systems • Basic control of the truck • Coupling and uncoupling • Range maneuvers • Road training • Hours of service/logging • Trip planning/map reading • Communication • Shipping and receiving • Wellness • Defensive driving • Hazard awareness • Extreme driving conditions

Weeks 13-20: • Vehicle inspection • Forklift training • Load securement/cargo handling • Preventative maintenance • FMCSA rules and regulations • Weigh stations • Transportation security • ELDT (entry-level driver training) • Company speakers • Resume building • Life on the road • Professionalism/soft skills • Preparation for state range and drive test

300 clock hours classroom 24 clock hours range and observation 24 clock hours over the road 252 clock hours remedial Total: 600 clock hours.

Overkill, I am sure. I will be posting my honest opinions about the course as it goes. I am already discovering there is a lot of downtime when we could be focusing on something productive. However, the material we have gone over is really clear in my head, with no questions. We do 6 hour days, Monday through Friday. I can honestly say, I wouldn't be able to afford this approach without my GI Bill, but is a luxury I'm enjoying. If the classes where 8 hours a day we could shorten the training by one month. I can certainly feel how it's constructed to benefit those teaching it ($$). However, I actually did read through every article that has been posted here on my thread about a month or so ago, weeks before I started my training. I feel I understood there would be no real gains, but I liked the idea of taking this on in a slower approach. It also gives me time to resolve some issues with my MVR as well.

I discovered that there was a driver in another state I live previously who shares my same birthday and same license number. Needless to say, I've already been turned down from most companies I am interested in because of this dilemma and was told to call back once I've resolved it.

Anyways, back to enjoying my day off school before work starts in a couple hours.

-Eggman

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

I've had some time to sit and think about some of the responses on this thread. I've determined that there has been some miscommunication. You call me arrogant. You've simply shut me down on all avenues. This thread was supposed to be a unique one, in regards that it actually has some insight on a school CDL program, rather than a company sponsored program. In regards to "career advise"- it wasn't so. However, I suppose I can see how it could be interpreted as advice, because my dad always advises me that you should always do what YOU want to do in life, for you. Never for anyone else, or someone else's purpose. This probably doesn't translate well in the trucking industry, and shouldn't be taken seriously if your making a life-altering decision. My thoughts though is if you would rather desire a school program, for whatever reasonings, you shouldn't let anyone talk you out of it. Just like you shouldn't let anyone talk you into it, because- as it's been made well aware- the "tangible benefits" are not greater. Like you guys also said, you're still going to have to do company training once you get with them too, as most companies it seems to require mandatory 30-40k miles with a trainer. This is where (I'm assuming) you guys are referring to where the REAL learning comes in, and anything prior is a waste of time beyond a couple weeks.

I guess I should follow that up with a question, as I really am here to learn. Is there really any negatives to pursuing an artificially lengthened program? What I mean is does it really matter? Won't I come out of this class exactly the same as anyone opting for a 4-week program? The only difference I can see is that unlike sponsored programs that put you right with a trainer once you have your license and start your 40k ish miles of training, I will have to find a job with a company willing to hire me to do this. Yes, I have read the article that clearly defines the reasoning why it's better to sign a contract, as the company put an investment in you and will be less willing to let you go, and that you will want to stay with your first company for a year anyway. I also acknowledge the fact that someone who begins driving sooner, makes more money sooner. I simply mean, besides the obvious negatives of doing a private school, before actually doing any OJT training with a company, and if your fine with investing your personal time, Will you be any less prepared as someone who just did a four-week CDL class and got their license?

I want to move on and add a formal apology. It seems I have made an offense with this "old dogs" comment. What was meant to be a flavor text has turned into a weapon against me. It wasn't intended to be interpreted as an insult, and I am sorry. This site has an invaluable combined wealth of knowledge and experience- and there is tons of respect for that.

I certainly hope this can now begin to be more of a conversation, rather than what feels like a trial. I am not here to argue, cause problems, and certainly not feel less about myself in any way.

In regards to how my class went today, I passed my combination portion of my exams. I now have general knowledge, air brakes, and combination done. WOOT! Next week we begin studying our endorsements. Department of Transportation came out and spoke with us on the range (where the training trucks are). He boasted family-oriented environment, 60k salary starting out, and 80k for drivers after a couple years. He stated that DOT (from this region) only recruits from this school, due to the reputation it holds in the area. I have heard this a couple of times, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there is more to it than that. He did bring us subway for lunch, so that was nice of him. He talked about having uniforms, and that they work with food freight mostly. Benefits and Decent home time was boasted too. He did claimed to have a 12 percent turn over rate, compared to 90 percent in the industry? I keep hearing these numbers, but am not sure what is fluff or not.

Now to enjoy my weekend off- and practice the air brake pre-trip. Ta Ta -Eggman