Profile For Jamie T

Jamie T's Info

Lansing, MI

In CDL School

5 months ago

Jamie T's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  4 months ago

Why you should always check your fifth wheel.

Try it for yourself and see :-)

It will be impossible to pull ANY kingpin if it has tension on it, regardless of the brand.

I'll keep that tip in mind when I get on the road myself. Thank you!

Posted:  4 months ago

Schneider National Apprenticeship Diary (5 Week Schneider CDL Training)

Hello all, I finished my second day yesterday which was pretty straight forward. Just was a crap ton of information to take in at once! We started out by meeting who our "yard instructors" would be and then they bused us into the truck yard. While out there they laid down all the ground rules such as no use of phone being the major rule. We ran through the pre-trip a couple of times which I was awful at I was really never much of a car person so I had a bit of trouble pointing out certain parts of the engine and so on. Nothing a ton of studying and hard work can't overcome though.

I definitely feel like I'm a bit behind the curb compared to most of my class, I'm in a class of 9 (including myself, some already got the boot due to various reasons). A couple of the people in my class are previous CDL class A holders, some even holding class B cdl's. A few have parents that are truckers, and one of them grew up on a farm driving a tractor. I'm as green as you can get but I don't believe that's necessarily a disadvantage. Anyways we also uncoupled / coupled the tractor, and performed a thing that I can't remember the name of at this moment... The thing where you turn off your truck / lights etc. Then repeatedly step on your brakes to release air then let it build back up and test brakes. That thing.

Our instructor also showed us the basics for backing. We will be doing backing today ourselves.

Rest of the day they had us to online homework on the laptops in the classroom which was very boring but needed.

That is all of my eventful not-so eventful day! Thank you.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Schneider National Apprenticeship Diary (5 Week Schneider CDL Training)

Hey all, so I finished my first day of Schneider's apprenticeship program today. I'd first like to thank Professor X for his Roehl training diary that's what got me on this website, and gave the idea of making a little training diary while attending this course. Although, this one won't be nearly as well written, and detailed as his was haha.

So first day is basically what you'd expect. We did a lot of paperwork and they had us all do physicals with an in-house doctor to get our DOT medical cards (this is mandatory, even if you have one already they will make you get another one). I ended up getting a 6 month, all my vitals were good and everything but since I'm a fat boi they said I'd either need to lose weight, or get a sleep test done by 6 months, so I'll just try to lose weight to avoid that, and hopefully get a longer DOT card in the future.

I also had to do Schneider's physical ability test at the highest tier due to the job possibly involving unloading freight at certain accounts. I'm doing a dedicated national flex account so I'll basically be filling in dedicated spots for people on sick leave, or vacations and so on. Like I said earlier, I'm a fat boi (340 pounds, age 25 6 foot 4 in height) and I managed to get passed all their tests. Tests involved climbing up and down a 1 foot~ tall piece of metal for a minute then they measure your heart beat and it can't exceed a certain threshold mine being 176 beats per minute. Then they had you do various bending tasks, squatting, and doing lifting weights from the floor to a table and back 10+ times up to 50 pounds. It wasn't really that bad though, just got to remember to keep breathing while doing your tasks and take your time! You're not being timed.

After all of these tasks, physical, paper work, and so on we were provided food from Schneider's cafeteria which wasn't bad. They will provide 2 meals a day while on training grounds, and a free meal at the hotel (continental breakfast). After all of this they just gave all of us work boots / shoes whichever you prefer they're oil proof, and slip proof and given with ice cleats. The rest of the day we just worked on paper daily work logs, and were told to study pre-trip when we get back to the hotel. So far so good, seems like a good program the instructor said it's a very new program as it has only been around for a few months apparently.

Anyways, I'm going to take a nap and head back tomorrow! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I'll be happy to answer.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Schneider National Apprenticeship Diary (5 Week Schneider CDL Training)

Honestly, I don't see the 1 year commitment as a downside. They're giving me an opportunity at a new life. Paying for my CDL training, paying me while I attend training so I can still help provide for my family, paying for my room while I'm at location, and providing me with guaranteed employment as long as I do what I am supposed to, and drive safely. I couldn't be more grateful for such an incredible opportunity. Tomorrow is my last day at my desk job also woooo.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

CDL training program FAIL! the Instructor quit the job HELP

Personally I'd probably look at option 2. If they can get you in somewhere to finish your training / testing and provide employment. But again, as you said you might not be sure if that's a good company they're putting you with.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Well I made it my first year.

Heck yeah congrats

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Passed My CDL Test

Heck yeah congratulations, I hear Melton isn't bad at all!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Schneider National Apprenticeship Diary (5 Week Schneider CDL Training)

Hello all. This will be my introduction, and diary. I will begin my journey of training for my Class A CDL Monday. 12/17/2018 with Schneider. For the past few years I've been working in a call center for an insurance company that does roadside assistance. I will be leaving my job 12/15/2018 and I couldn't be happier it's just very dull, and boring. I'll be leaving behind my wife, my 2 year old son and probably miss my wife giving birth to our daughter in February. My wife is very supportive of this decision though and pushed me to go through with it. I'm mainly just happy if everything works out I'll make enough money to support my family and have a job that I'll enjoy. Can't wait to update you all next week. If you got any questions about the program or anything I'll be glad to answer.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Five Month Professional Driver Program??

The 6 month schooling sounds a bit long stretched for a license that typically takes 5 weeks of training and studying to receive. But I'm sure it has its benefits, and if the scheduling and class structure works for you keep at it. I'll keep reading your updates as I've never heard of a CDL school like this. I'm starting with Schneider myself next week they seem pretty promising as a starter company.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

(Late) Introduction!

Welcome, this site has all the tools you'll ever need. I studied with the High Road program and got my CDL permit easily. I'm starting my class in a couple weeks and I feel this site is giving me a lot of info which will be helpful when I start. Good luck.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

My Experience So Far With Schneider And Going Forward

How are you liking Schneider? I'm starting with them in 12 days. (Yes I'm counting the days because I'm excited as ****). I'm starting with them doing a National Dedicated position so I'll be doing some manual labor once in awhile unloading trucks which will be nice. I'm mainly worried about whether I'm going to suck ass at driving a truck or not, but only time will tell cause I've never driven a big rig before. Sounds like they work with you though which is nice. Keep it up.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Truck Driver for 21 months, 1 Preventable, need help finding A company.

You could try some local jobs, lots of people looking for drivers with 6 months - 1 years experience. Or some mega's would prolly take you like Swift / CR England among others you could try. Just call recruiters and get as much info as you can and they'll usually work with you I believe.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Absolutely drained, but ready for Prime

You realize these responses are literally proving everybody's point? You need to take a chill pill bruh

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Past mistakes, should I move forward and get My CDL A?

Your best option would most likely be to speak to recruiters directly, and they'll be able to tell you what you'll need to do, and when you'd be eligible to work for them and so on.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Questions about job offer I received, how does the pay stand up to other places?

I applied for their apprenticeship program to get a CDL. They said open positions are either this one or team driving. I said I'd prefer to run solo.

Out of curiosity were they pushing for this or was it something you just came across? I asked around about this when I was going through orientation but at that time it was a new position at that time. Was never able to get much info on it. But I believe that in addition to other accounts the second Schneider picks up a new one you will be heading that way. I know this doesn't help at all. But do as much research as you can on it. And also take into account what old school said about the "performance based pay"

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Is that a Dollar Store account?

Not specifically, they will have me doing a lot of different businesses they said including Walmart, Dollar Store etc. I'll post a link to the job description it will prolly explain it better than me. https://schneiderjobs.com/search-driving-opportunities/details/180858?src=JB-10139

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

So I'm starting with Schneider on 12/17/2018. I will doing a dedicated national position. I will be out a minimum of 14 days at a time. Base pay is a FLAT rate of $140 per day, for as far as I know all the days I'm available to work / not at home? SO this works out to be about $960 a week, working 7 days a week. Am I getting myself into a mess, or should I be happy about this being my first CDL job? It's a lot more than I currently make, so I'm not complaining about the pay just curious how this compares to other jobs like it.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Schneider requiring me to get a chauffeur license?

So just a quick update would like to get your guys thoughts I passed my permit test and officially got a job offer with Schneider. I will be out a minimum of two weeks at a time and be paid a flat rate of $140 a day pretty much going to about $1,000 a week. This will be for a dedicated National position which will include Dollar Store which I heard can be a pain. That sounds like a decent deal to me what do you guys think?

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Schneider requiring me to get a chauffeur license?

In order to get a valid chauffeurs license, many states require completion of a criminal background check. It’s possibly Schneiders way of backchecking your history without spending any of their money.

This license will also allow you to drive a company van loaded with passengers and further legitimize operation of any Schneider commercial vehicle less than 26,000 pounds gross weight and/or in combination with a trailer with a gross weight less than 10,000 pounds.

That said, overall it might be an insurance requirement as part of the program. If you are so inclined, please try to keep us posted on your progress.

I certainly will keep you all posted. I'm planning on making a training diary when I start.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Schneider requiring me to get a chauffeur license?

I'm being hired for a apprenticeship program for class a cdl otr position. Recruiter is asking me to get a chauffeur license when i get my clp . never heard of this before any idea why?