Comments By Seabee-J

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0728343001562517302-83444.jpg avatar
  • Seabee-J
  • 1 year, 6 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  10 months ago

Length

Possibly were you mistaken for three 28's ? I know that is common in the western states.

Posted:  10 months ago

Length

Three 53's , in the US ? wow I didnt think that was legal myself This must've been out west Im assuming. Thats Aussie styles . Roughly 170' overall , badass !

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

What Would You Do In This Situation?

I was always taught in my Bus training to put 4 ways on then slow down to a complete stop open my doors ( if in a school bus , not Transit ) look both directions twice and listen then close door if necessary and proceed across, after crossing turn off 4 ways . I was also told by a few instructors and vet drivers to have space enough for your vehicle plus a third on the other side .

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Tractors, Class 7 and 8, never seen (or hardly ever seen) in America anymore by me.

Hey Bruce , I got a chance to operate a Scania and Hyundai while on duty and can say that the blind spots in front are much smaller if practically nil compared to any US conventional as well as much shorter wheel bases so turning radius is lot tighter. You do sit a bit higher as well which gives a nominal advantage in traffic . I drive transit buses with flat fronts as well so I'm more used to it than the curb sniffers but they are a bit on the cramped side and getting in and out is a little more difficult.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Fatality Due to Apparently Improperly Secured Flatbed Load

That's scary and sad , It goes to show how important knowing your load securment rules are and what can happen. I am impressed that he was still getting it done at 76 an age where most need help getting in and out of a car and he was flat bedding. Such a shame to go out that way .

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

100% Agree with Brett's post . I too have been to Europe, Italy and Greece in addition to Korea and the quality is superior as well as many services . They may cost a bit more and turn less profit but they still turn one and people make solid livings . I think Brett's quote that we haven't tried improving things and are so narrowly focused on the bottom dollar is why we've neglected all the other aspects to consumer services and products . Its contributes to the throw away culture we have become accustomed to where it's cheaper to just buy new instead of maintaining and replacing or repairing old . So much of what was made decades ago was built better stronger and lasted whereas today it gets tossed after a fee years or is just immediately obsolete. I find this very sad . Another great example is services . Thanks for mentioning the airline industry as this is an easy one . I've flown domestic and international airlines and the difference and standard in comparable services economy vs economy is night and day . There is a reason no US carrier is rated in the top 10 , which as ticks me off personally but it goes to show where the focus had led us . Anyway sorry to hijack the thread. I loved the Diamond Rios as well but haven't seen one in ages .

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

I feel the same way Donald , I believe we all know about practicality and dollars sense and bank accounts but if we are just talking style then I agree that today's rigs dont compare to the generations before . I was always a fan of the beefier and meaner looking rigs like a 60 Pete 281 or R model Mack myself . My pops drove an silver and blue 85 Marmon conventional and it was a beaut . I've always been a truck buff since childhood and even loved the day cab Autocars they made in the 70s . In the buisness yea you see less and less for the aforementioned reasons but at a truck shows it's a different story . The cabovers were really cool imo and had a lot of advantages. I've driven them overseas as that's all they run in Korea but here in the US once they eased up the length restrictions in the 80s people went more to conventional again as it's a more comfortable ride . They called them Kidney Crushers for reason plus if your in an accident your first on the scene . I do like the better visibility and maneuvering imo though . Got to get your fix at truck shows for them as most large carriers change over the trucks every few years so it's really only O/O or really small outfits running thr older stuff .

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Passed my CDL permit

Way to go ! I'm a bus operator myself , welcome to the SLF world glad to have another here . I drive transit and ADA buses in my local area and it can be quite a challenge at times and some hectic schedules and routes but a good gig all in all .

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

ABF Driver Development Program Opportunity, Your thoughts .

Just wanted to update this So I took a pass on this deciding while continuing my transit job and furthering my navy career besides I'd much prefer getting the OTR experience and lifestyle to start with as well as heading the sage advice of the forum for starting up a solid career foundation. After some deliberation and research I dont think I'd like being local much anyway, though I love driving the big steel it might wait for now . Want to start smart .

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

CDL School

Hey , which company did you decide to go with ? The best advice is to stay calm , try not to stress too much and just remember your speeds and rpms , you'll feel it . Take it slow and relax otherwise it's like swimming in quicksand. If you get too overwhelmed remember to stop before you make a critical error. Always remember that this is YOUR training. You got this!

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Youtube videos

Got to agree wholeheartedly with Gtown here . Operating a piece of Equipment be it a rig , dozer , grader , crane , airplane cant really be learned from a video . I've trained and operated most and all videos give you are an idea what to expect and what the cockpit and instrumentsor controls do . Dont get a false sense of confidence in thinking your ahead of the game because you watched it . This is one of those skills and trades that must be done hands on and repeatedly to build up the foundation. I watch videos on tips to landing airplanes but again it's for when I'm in the cockpit but I certainly didnt think I had or have any leg up so to speak . The same goes for operating a semi as well you can watch till your eyes bleed and when you get in that seat it amounts to almost nothing because you need to get the feel and sense of how to react to what is happening. Take tips for what they are worth but dont go in feeling like you have it together . A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Mechanics shortage equals driver shortage in intensity

Don't know how practical or what the logistics of it would be but perhaps the larger carriers could have some sort of training program or apprenticeship for people who may be interested in becoming a mechanic with their company similar to the CDL training contracts paralleling the structure. One could apply with some of the basic qualifications and then if accepted sign a contract for x months or year and start with basic assistance and tasks while working up to more complex tasks all while learning ins and outs of the particular company and its SOPs . The company in turn would have their own specifically trained mechanics . I've seen this in some other industries and it does work. It might incentivize nee and younger folks to get into the field as so many high school have eliminated their trades programs and only seem to push for students to go to college. I believe quite a few young men and women have no idea these options are viable and aren't being steered towards them.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Crap Companies

Hi Cecelia, I know that channel myself, I don't care much for it really, mostly negative and dissuading info for anyone looking to start out in the field . I'm always on the hunt for a good YouTube channel that is relevant to the the field but his channel is pretty much much a nonstop whinefest about most parts of the job and doesn't really help you find a way to get off to a solid start . Most of these guys are angry about a lot of stuff that really shouldn't matter to you right now so take what they say with a grain of salt . The more I've looked into it and been around this site is that you will get what you put in , No industry is perfect but remember any Yahoo can get a YouTube channel . I've had a solid Navy career so far and have lots of positive things to say but there's a ton of youtubers saying how the military screws you over . I see a lot of parallels with the trucking industry. Anyway good luck to you and keep the shiny side up . Dont let negative people mess you up.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Tow or Fuel or cement - part time

Hi Art , SLF means Self Loading Frieght . Just a little joke with bus drivers . 19a cert is for any passenger carrying vehicle in a municipality like a school bus or ADA bus , Transit . When you sign on with a particular company you need to qualify in that vehicle by taking a road test , it's not to difficult. You would do this in a 10 25 44 or 60 passenger vehicle. If you take it in a 60 you qualify for anything smaller similar to having a A license let's you drive B class vehicles. You take this even if you'd already earned your S and P endorsements and DMV tracks this . A 19a examiner in the company would check you out .

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

CRST Expedited Trucking School and training program Cedar Rapids, IA. A (re) training diary by millionmiler24

Thanks , How do you guys plan/ coordinate your home time ? Or if someone has an emergency and needs to get back . I.E . One partner needs to get home time to see famliy but other partner would like to stay out or has no family and wants home time out on the road . Curious how you handle the tricky situations.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Tow or Fuel or cement - part time

You could look into transit/bus or home fuel delivery if you have or H/X . I drive transit and its pretty good for my area if you dont mind SLF . It's not toolabor heavy but there is a lot of extra safety involved as well as certain unique regulations to learn and get your 19a certification . Local home fuel is a lot of stop and go and hauling hoses into backyard areas as well as carrying and handling cash in many instances but can pay decently though it is light in the summer months. Towing is intensive on labor and can be demanding on the body but can pay well . You'll need a W endorsement if your from NY . I dont know about other states .

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Podcast: The Road Home - Do You Know Your Limits?

Yes to all the above questions. Class A full road test and you will need training. I'm a Class B myself. I'm sure a few of the veteran members here will be able to give you all the solid answers you need . In short though A is different experience than B .

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

ABF Driver Development Program Opportunity, Your thoughts .

It's a Long Island position , Suffolk county . I've had some experience backing 48' flatbeds with the Navy and lived and driven here my whole life to this point but I figured it would be more difficult. As for the union I've been in them for some time and know the in and out good and bad . Starting out always sucks and yea it could be awhile which is something I'm not sure I want to deal with again especially if I'm doing well but again if you're the low man it doesn't help too much . I'm just trying to prep myself if this does come to the table .

Posted:  11 months, 4 weeks ago

ABF Driver Development Program Opportunity, Your thoughts .

Hey TT , I just came across this job opportunity and decided to apply and wanted to get some feedback. The position requires a class A permit with tanker , doubles/Triples endorsement and ability to obtain a hazmat . I already have the TWIC and medical for my transit job , Anyway ABF would send you to school for 4 weeks and then train for approximately 4 more I believe . So you would then go into a P/D position. It's an hourly job and the yard is about 20min from my home , I know that they are a union outfit as well and I've heard some good things . Its seems like a decent opportunity and could balance it with my reserve commitment . I dont know if I'll even hear back but they were strongly considering applicants with some military background so I figured why not apply . I would love some of your guys advice if I do happen to get a call .

Posted:  12 months ago

When it comes to finding a partner , How does that work ? Does CRST help drivers in need of one find each other or do you ask around throughout the ranks ? I'd figure that since it's a team company that they would have some sort of system for this .