Profile For TexanTwoStep

TexanTwoStep's Info

Lindale, TX

Company Driver In Training

1 month, 2 weeks ago

TexanTwoStep's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  11 hours, 31 minutes ago

Is four weeks really enough?

Thanks Big T. After I get out of CDL school, it's immediately followed with 6-7 weeks of training/orientation at McElroy.

Posted:  13 hours, 45 minutes ago

Is four weeks really enough?

TTS, the truck driving school will be spending four weeks preparing you to pass the CDL exam: Pre-trip, backing, and skills test (on-road driving with DOT examiner). At the end of the four weeks, after you've passed the CDL exam, received your diploma and new Class A license, you still won't know much about driving a big truck. You'll have learned the basics: shifting, backing, not taking out light poles while making a turn, but the vast majority of learning will come from McElroy as you ride with one of their trainers for several weeks and tens of thousands of miles, and then on-the-job training/learning as you evolve into a solo driver. So, don't look at it as you have to learn everything you'll need to know about truck driving in four weeks; those first four weeks are more or less an introduction. The real learning comes after. And never really stops. Don't worry, you'll do fine.

Thanks for the posts and encouragement, everyone! I do agree that I'll never stop learning! I'm excited about my new journey.

Posted:  16 hours, 12 minutes ago

Is four weeks really enough?

Hi all,

My last day of my job as a 911 dispatcher is Monday morning, and I start school at a private trucking school (Career Trucking School in Tyler, for what it's worth) Tuesday morning.

I have never even seen the inside of a tractor. I've driven a manual vehicle (all my vehicles have been manual), pulled a few trailers (boats and what not, never a 5th wheel). I have my permit and understand the gist of it, but I'm nervous that four weeks of training simply isn't going to be enough to learn.

So, ease my mind for me? I'm definitely not getting cold feet, my anxiety is just starting to rear its head because this will be the first time since I was 18 that I've been "unemployed" (I have signed on with McElroy, but it's contingent on me passing school).

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Page Turners?

I have a Kindle so I read whatever is cheap or free.

If you're a prime member, they have a whole Prime Lending Library with a bunch of really good books. I "borrowed" 1984 and didn't pay a dime!

I'm really into any interesting books. I just finished reading Into Thin Air by John Krakaeuer. It's about the 1996 expedition to Everest where six people died after getting stuck on the mountain during a blizzard.

I've been reading a lot of Grisham (finished A Painted House and The Testament recently, now reading The Brethren). After this I plan on reading The Hunt for Red October because I've seen the movie but have never read the book.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

McElroy Truck Lines Hiring Process

Congratulations! How did this develop?

I called the school and let them know about my last day of work, so he wants to start me a week early!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

McElroy Truck Lines Hiring Process

I'm now starting school on Feb 25th instead of March 4!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

McElroy Truck Lines

I drove out to Cuba and passed the agility test last week, and they are sending me to a (very local) CDL school! I'm really excited to start with them!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

McElroy Truck Lines Hiring Process

Agility test is mainly some balancing test standing on one leg, walking a 2x4 etc. then you’ll do some drills to simulate squatting and checking under a trailer and folding a tarp. On those just remember breathe slowly and maintain your heart rate. You’ll probably have to lift tarps of various sizes and place them on a shelf or trailer. That’s about it unless they’ve changed it up recently.

Appreciate the reply!

I passed, signed a student contract with them, and they're sending me to Career Trucking School in Tyler starting March 4th. I see you're from Tyler as well? If you're a driver trainer I'm hoping that I end up on your truck seeing as I'm 10 miles away from you!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Signed on with McElroy Truck Lines -- Starting School March 4th

That was a great description of the physical/agility test. Good luck!

Thank you sir! I'm going to try my best to keep notes and update with the current info for McElroy. They are a great company but don't have as much coverage as the bigger companies on the internet. The only way I heard about them was through a CDL school I had requested info on and he told me to reach out to them.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Signed on with McElroy Truck Lines -- Starting School March 4th

That's a great report - lots of details. There will definitely be people who appreciate you posting this.

I saw on another thread that you were from Chireno, TX. Welcome to trucking, neighbor!

Yessir! I live in Lindale now, but I was born and raised on the Attoyac :)

Thank you! Looking forward to starting!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

McElroy Truck Lines Hiring Process

Yeah, that's definitely not true anymore.

You're from Nacogdoches? I was born and raised in Chireno.

Small world.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Signed on with McElroy Truck Lines -- Starting School March 4th

Hey everyone,

This past week I have obtained my Texas CLP and signed on with McElroy Truck Lines with their Student Contract Program. They will be sending me to a private CDL school in Tyler, Texas, which is conveniently approx 10 minutes from my house!

The process of getting this offer has been a lengthy one, but I'll try to describe it as best I can:

I first reached out to a recruiter, which was very nice and explained to me everything I needed to know. I probably have called her 10+ times during this whole thing. I've never driven/did not have my CDL, so she told me to put in an app. I did, and they called me back the next week to ask if I could drive to Cuba, AL to get my medical card, take a drug test, and take an agility test.

They put me up in an AMAZING hotel room (seriously, it was bigger than my apartment when I lived in NYC) the night before, and I arrived at the terminal the next morning not sure of what exactly to expect. We were taken to Meridian, MS (there were about 15 - 20 of us) to the hospital to get our medical clearance.

After that (it took about 2.5-3 hours for all of us), we drove back to the terminal, where they requested a urine and hair sample for the urine and drug test. They are serious about this, so if you've done anything illegal in the past 90-120 days, don't waste your time or theirs. Due to a "snow storm" that day (lol, there was a dusting of snow), there was a lot of down time while we waited for the people who performed the agility test. During this time, we were provided a hot lunch and had the opportunity to ask questions of some of the driver mentors that were at the terminal that day. All were very knowledgeable about their jobs and happy to answer any questions that I had.

After lunch, we went and took the agility test, four at a time. Now, I'm not in the best shape (I'm 6'1, approx 250 pounds), but this test isn't for the feint of heart. I was told that if my heart rate rose above 200 or my blood pressure was above 180/90, the test would immediately cease and I would not be eligible for hire.

For the agility test, the doc checks your joints for proper movement and range of motion first, takes your blood pressure and heart rate at rest. Then, you perform a "step-up" test for three minutes at a set tempo. After the three minutes, they take your HR again, and you do this two more times.

Then, you walk around the area for a minute for a cooldown, and your HR is taken again. Then you move on to the next station where you are required to lift boxes of varying weight chest high (25/50/75 pounds, if I recall correctly). You are required to lift them the correct way, and they demonstrate how to do this.

After you passed that, you are required to climb onto the trailer from the rear three times, using three points of contact at all time getting on and off the trailer. Then, for two minutes, you sort nuts and bolts on the back of the trailer while you stand on the ground, then do the same thing while kneeling on the ground for two minutes.

Finally, you are required to lift a rolled tarp from the ground, onto your shoulder, and onto the back of the trailer, then let it fall and do it again. These tarps weigh over 100 pounds and do not have handles, so this is pretty hard if you do not work out/have the right form. Finally, they take your HR and BP again, and you either pass or fail.

After your agility test, the "contract" applicants were taken with the recruiters and given our contracts to sign. For a one year contract, they will pay for my CDL school and I will become a McElroy employee after I complete school and the first week of orientation.

Hope this helps someone!

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Mcelroy truck lines agility test

Talked to the recruiter today and she said that they did away with that portion of the test. Proceeding forward with orientation starting Monday! Wish me luck

Hi Mark,

How did it go? I'm on my way to Cuba for testing on Tuesday.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

McElroy Truck Lines Hiring Process

Hey all,

I'm going to Alabama on Tuesday to do my paperwork/agility test/DOT testing for McElroy. I had a few questions for you veterans/people that work for McElroy.

What does the agility test include? I'm not too worried about it, I just like to be prepared.

Have any of you been a part of their student driver training program? My recruiter told me that I would be in Tucsaloosa for school for approximately 3 weeks, then onto a driver mentor for another 6 weeks. I have no experience driving trucks, but I'm willing to learn and excited about the opportunity.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

McElroy Truck Lines

Have yall heard if they accept people without CDLs? I've been in contact with a recruiter and they're trying to get me into training in Tyler for Feb 1 or in Cuba, AL for Feb 11th. I currently only have a class C out of Texas but they said "they would train me". It seems like a great company to start out with and work for, but I'm a little leery about turning in my two weeks at my current job unless it's a "for sure" thing.

If they know you do not have a CDL and are willing to train you then they hire those without CDL.

But there is no "sure thing" you be sent home for a number of reasons. Unfortunately you have to either fully commit or you will be permanently on the side lines.

Thanks for the info! I've gotten on board with the recruiter and I'm driving out to Cuba to get my DOT physical/agility test on Jan 28th. Shooting to start school in Tuscaloosa in March.

Believe me, I'll be fully committed once I have everything set in stone. It's just the "fear of the unknown" that's getting to me. I know I'm making the right decision changing careers.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago