Comments By Hobo

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/dusk.jpg avatar
  • Hobo
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 months ago

It's not my fault I failed

This is just another example of how your attitude can make a difference. I can tell you now this driver will probably never make top tier status because top tier drivers don't make excuses. When we screw up we learn and correct.

What was your student like before he tested for the upgrade? Did you have any sense before the test that there was an attitude problem?

Posted:  2 months ago

Downgrade from active company driver to only personal use CDL?

Does anyone know if I have to go to the office or can this be done online, haven't found any information on the TXDOT sites about this?

Just call them and ask. I know two people who have non-commercial Class A licenses and they both had to take a skills test. They were upgrading not downgrading but you how Texas is so just call them. My guess is you're going to have to go in to the office.

Music Time...

Any station that plays The Misfits.

Page Turners?

I have a Kindle so I read whatever is cheap or free.

CRST Exit Oppurtunities???

I'm not that kind of person however. I'm not going to drive myself home in the middle of the contract. I said I'm willing to stick it out for 10 months and I'm a man of my word. I'm college educated and plan on going to grad school after trucking. I'm a very disciplined person and feel I'm making the most intelligent decision for my life moving forward. My concern is about what to expect at the end of the 10 months not whether or not I'll make it...because I surely will.

I'm new here and am not even going to CDL training until March but...it seems to me that a Master's Degree is your goal. You should just go for that. I think your situation is one where you should consider taking on some debt to reach your goal. I don't see how trucking will help you reach that goal.

Noob question about permit

I forgot something, I wish we could edit here. This may vary by state but in Michigan I can transfer a valid CDL without taking a road test as long as I'm not upgrading or removing a restriction.

Noob question about permit

Some of the companies I am talking to wants me to have my permit ahead of time. No problem. My state, Connecticut, requires a DoT Medical Card to get permit, again no problem. So I am going to get the physical next week so if I have any surprises like high blood pressure (okay not so surpriseing) to give meds time to recertify.

Now my question is if I get my permit in CT and go to school in PA do I have to come back to CT for the skills test or does the states have to accept the skill test from state you go to school in?

Let me guess I should call the CT DMV ๐Ÿคจ

I'm in the same boat you are and I've asked a few companies this question and received different answers. Some say they want me to come back to Michigan after receiving a CDL in their state and transfer the CDL but others told me I'd have to use their business address for the CDL in their state. On that second point I am assuming I'd have to transfer the CDL to Michigan at some point in the future but according to them it didn't have to be done right away.

Detention - A problem still in search of a solution

So if you show sleeper, it has to last for a least 2 hours???????

I think what they're saying is if you go 2 hours it counts toward the 2 in the 8/2 split just like Off Duty would but you do it just in case you get to 8 hours. If you don't get to 8 no harm no foul, it's the same as Off Duty at that point. If you do get to 8 and you're Off Duty instead of Sleeper Berth you don't get the credit for the 8 hours so going sleeper berth is just hedging your bets and can't hurt at all.

Eye Candy

Ur looking at the lot lizards aren't u๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ she's a beauty ain't she...

0295326001550113900.jpg

You met Steven Tyler? Aerosmith rocks!

Detention - A problem still in search of a solution

Put yourself on Sleeper Berth when waiting at a Shipper/Receiver.

Noob question...what is the benefit to putting yourself on Sleeper Berth as opposed to Off Duty if you're not going to be on it for 8 hours?

Dry Ice?

If you carry a large picnic cooler in your truck, has anybody used dry ice instead of freezer packs? How does that work? And is dry ice hard to get?

I know you can buy dry ice at Meijer. I'll use dry ice sometimes for picnics if I need to keep something frozen but other than that I don't mess with it. It will burn you if you're not careful when handling it and the first time I used it it blew the hinges on my cooler off. If you don't want whatever is in the cooler frozen you might be better off sticking with regular ice.

Unions

Google Play didn't give me the option to rate you. I don't have the mini-player installed, maybe I need that?

That Was A Fast Response

I read that one. There are a couple of others too. There are a lot of negative things about PAM on the Internet but they tend to fall into three categories:

1. Horrible DOT safety record. I checked on this on the Internet and this isn't true, PAM does not have a horrible safety record. They don't even have a bad safety record. One guy on this site claimed that after his training PAM assigned him a truck with no side mirrors and holes, actual holes, in the windshield. He then claimed PAM refused to fix the truck and let him leave their yard with the truck in that condition. He followed that up by claiming he drove over 1,000 miles or something like that to pick up a stranded driver whose truck was in the same condition. I haven't driven professionally in 15 years and I've never driven a combination vehicle or driven OTR but I did have a CDL-B with a Hazmat endorsement for 10 years and I don't believe a word of that story. The same guy posted the same post word for word on another trucking website I won't mention and got 19 likes for that story. You know what that tells me? There are at least 19 people on that site who have never dealt with the DOT or any other law enforcement. Unless the DOT and the cops have significantly changed the way they operate since my day there is no way that truck would make it past the first cop he encountered.

2. Have to drive Team your first 6 months. This used to be true but no longer is. My problem with this complaint is those drivers were told up front they had to drive team for 6 months and agreed to do it. The Driver Solutions recruiter was honest with me about this, she told me straight up that I don't have to drive team but PAM does still prefer teams so when I first start after my training at first I might not get the "good" loads because the teams will receive preferential treatment, at least at first. I'm ok with that.

3. Not enough money. This I believe. Slugs and new drivers aren't top of the pecking order.

Almost all of the driver complaints I've read online about PAM are from drivers who didn't even make it 6 months with the company and many of them couldn't even finish training with their trainer. This is basically people who mistakenly believe that driving is easy and all you have to do is sit on your rear end all day and make huge bank. That's not how it works which is why a lot of these people seem to be gung-ho during training but then quit once they get a sniff of the real world. I don't blame any one for quitting the job, it's one of those jobs that's outside of the societal norm and there's no way to really understand it until you do it, if it's not for you it's not for you. I do blame people for online rants where their failure to adapt is made to look like someone else's fault.

I've spoken on the phone with recruiters from 9 companies now and all of them except for two used words like "you could earn" or "you could probably be home"...things like that. WilTrans and Driver Solutions/PAM are the only two who didn't do that which was a big reason why I decided to go with PAM and as long as the contract I sign says what the recruiter says it will say then I'm good to go.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Unions

Just gonna put this here for everyone sorry if it's a bit ugly but I believe it applies in this case.

Don't get drawn into an argument with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience.

Not sure if that is a quote by someone prominent or who ever said it to begin with, but it is something that has stuck with me for years.

I heard it a different way: If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get muddy and only the pig will be happy.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Another Accident Thread

You weren't determined to be at fault, correct? I don't think it will affect your chances however, talk to a recruiter(s) and let them determine that before you even have your CDL. They will pull your records and be able to tell you yes or no within a day or two. Goodluck and glad you and your wife are ok!

Thank you for the well wishes. My insurance company has me not at fault. The Accident report doesn't claim anybody is at fault (I'm assuming for civil reasons), but they unofficially have the other driver at fault. It says she made a negligent turn and she received a citation for it. I'll reach out to my Swift recruiter to see what he says and I'll reach out to some others to test the waters.

Test the waters? Do you want to do it or not?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

That Was A Fast Response

Hobo

There are a few diaries from students at PAM. I would definitely read them. I can't for the life of me remember who they were but I think you can search for them. Best of luck. My son, just got picked up by his trainer last night. He is with WIL-TRANS....so happy for him.

Chris

I've read everything on this site about PAM which was easy because there's not a lot of it. I guess I'll have to do a training diary just to get a little bit more about the company out there for people in the future who may be considering them.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Unions

There's nothing complicated about this, Kip is exactly what he looks like...a social marxist. He can dress it up with some industry specific comments from time to time as they all do but overall what is he talking about?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Unions

If you find that your agenda leaves you consistently taking the position of supporting the mega carriers, you should ask yourself who benefits from that support. If you believe that you personally benefit from such positions at the expense of regular working people of all professions, crony is the only apt name for you.

We all get it, your screeds have made your position very clear...proletariat good bourgeoisie bad. Since you saw fit to necro a thread that's over 5 years old perhaps comment on the actual topic of the thread? Unions...what do you think of them? I'd rather not be represented by a union again because in my experience they've never been anything but destructive.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

LTL DAY CAB meals

I used to take MREs that I bought at an Army/Navy surplus store, some dehydrated fruit and some mixed nuts. I also had a styrofoam cooler with bottled water and some V-8 juice and maybe some pop and I kept cheese cubes in there too sometimes.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Isn't regulation a good thing?

The way I see it, the freight has to be moved either way. If we are limited to 11 hours a day driving, it allows for a better schedule and more rest. Maybe freight is moving slower because of regulations? But wouldn't that drive the demand up therefore increasing the revenue in the industry and money in drivers pockets? Why are these people striking? Why would they want to risk their lives and others by driving tired? Isn't it smarter all around to have regulations in the industry? Enlighten me.

What you're talking about doing by enforcing an artificial handicap on hours is handicapping supply. The better schedule you mentioned is based on your needs not the needs of the market.