Profile For Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob's Info

Saratoga, NY

Company Driver In Training

6 months, 3 weeks ago

Adirondack Bob's Bio

Retired computer analyst after 31+ years.

At 61: Got class B, Drove school buses for 3 years.

At 64: Passed Class A Road Test, started OTR training at RIST Transport, in Latham, NY.

Drive a '17 Harley Road Glide Special when not getting paid to drive.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

School bus to truck 160 Academy in Illinois with Swift

Errol V said:

I taught two experienced Greyhound drivers how to do the straight line backup. (Note, this wasn't an assignment, just luck of the draw.)

Both did their best. Couldn't make the grade. I don't say it can't be done. But in my observation of two motor coach drivers, I recommend that other bus drivers take extra care over the motor skills they already possess.

Errol, our trainer at RIST also had two coach drivers who couldn't back up. In my group all three of us were school bus drivers. None of us had any issues. And a new trainee, also trained at the same school as two of us, is having no backing issues. Maybe because there is some backing of school buses, tho minimal.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

School bus to truck 160 Academy in Illinois with Swift

You're saying I'm arrogant because I said it's not the same. Then you say it's not the same... If you say so lol.

Your experience is your experience. You can't tell something it'll be a head start for them because you felt it was for you. That also sounds pretty arrogant.

No. You, and others, are saying what I'm saying is wrong. I said I expected my school bus experience to be a plus and it was. Other "experienced" drivers said it wouldn't be. Once I went thru the training I saw that it did help, immensely. Yet some of you still want to stroke your trucking egos and claim I'm wrong. Yes, it was "my" experience and I would think it would also help others for all the same reasons.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

School bus to truck 160 Academy in Illinois with Swift

Read my lips. I did not say they were the same. I said it helped me. Just as having driven a standard "helped me" when I had to learn to double clutch. I feel I had a bit of a head start when it came time to learn how to double clutch. I'm talking about MY experience. For you, or anyone, to tell me I'm wrong is the epitome of arrogance.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

School bus to truck 160 Academy in Illinois with Swift

Hi Tina!

Some will say there’s no comparison. That’s rubbish or ego.

So there you go again, Bob, discounting the facts put forth by drivers much more experienced driving buses and tractor trailers.wtf.gif

I'm discounting them as much as they're discounting me, and others. No more. No less.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

School bus to truck 160 Academy in Illinois with Swift

Hi Tina!

I’ve driven school buses for the last 3 years and am taking my class A road test Tuesday, 9/3. This company has seen several coach bus drivers fail miserably but, coaches are never allowed to back up. We had to back up our school buses at least twice a day, many times routes required it. I, and a fellow school bus driver who went thru the same class A training, found huge benefits from our school bus driving experiences. Some will say there’s no comparison. That’s rubbish or ego. The best advise I got on here about the transition was that while driving and backing a semi you have to turn that steering wheel much faster. And man was he right on!

Keep your eyes on those mirrors while turning and good luck to ya!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Going from a school bus driver to a tractor trailer driver

Well this may be the only area where I can offer a little help. I, too, transitioned from school bus to tractor. For me, the hardest thing was getting the backing down. The length, wide turns, and all are basically the same just a little wider and longer. My bus was an automatic but I fussed all the time wanting a manual. So the manual part for me was a breeze. Just take your time and take as much room as possible. Best advise given to me when training; take all that you can when turning because you can give a little but if you take too little you can’t take anymore once you have committed.

More good points, Brian! Wider turns. Check! Also, somebody mentioned how the steering wheel must be faster than on a bus. Check!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Going from a school bus driver to a tractor trailer driver

Yes, no comparison to driving a car. But similarities between buses and tractor trailers. Wide turns, sitting up high, very large vehicle, pre/post trips, height concerns, much longer stopping distances, scheduled routes, navigating new routes, etc. Granted there's a lot of differences but, I see some similarities.

Testing/learning the pre-trip alone puts you far ahead. Navigating a large vehicle and dealing with tail swing will help too. You know a lot of what to look for over the guy who just drives a Pinto.

Yes Auggie69, more excellent points. I agree I know what to look for, granted trucks are bigger and more complicated. Thanx!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Going from a school bus driver to a tractor trailer driver

Maybe. I think it will be an easier transition going from a bus than from a car. Anywho, we shall see.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Going from a school bus driver to a tractor trailer driver

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Going from a school bus driver to a tractor trailer driver

Some great comments. Granted school buses and 18 wheelers are different but, compared to driving a car I see several similarities. I start Orientation with Rist/Wadhams in upstate NY on the 10th. Got my permit, will get tanker endorsement next week, haz mat during training.

I selected to do the NE Regional run, pretty much by eliminating petroleum tankers, milk tanker, local. It will be 5 days out, home every weekend. Get paid during training, no contract to work off training cost. From all I've read and heard, they're a good company.

So, I'll be back with more newbie questions.

Thanks for helping me to answer my questions.

- Bob

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Ok to run with no brake lights or turn signal on trailer.

My first thought is how a pretrip might have been beneficial in this case, would have circumvented the whole nightmare.

Wow a pretrip what a great idea I should have thought about that. I did do a pretrip that is how I got green lights through every scale house from California to Florida. I do my pretrips and enroutes like i'm supposed to. This problem was not able to be picked up on a pretrip.

I had a headlight go out two days in a row, on my school bus, and it was caught by the same driver each day. Both worked during pretrip. Things blow and usually not when it's convenient.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm going off to Roehl 'cause I need to train!

EllieMae, If you come to the Marshfield location on may 6th, look for the scrawny bald guy in the funny hat and yellow hoodie. Hoody? Hūdē. Hootie and the Blowfish? I dunno. But that's me.

Soooo, did you pass? The suspense is killing me.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Going from a school bus driver to a tractor trailer driver

I’ve been a school bus driver, in upstate New York, for several years. Now I’m thinking of getting my CDL-A. If I attend a company sponsored training program, will the training be any shorter/easier since I already have a CDL-B?

Thanx,