Profile For Yuriy K.

Yuriy K.'s Info

Cleveland, OH

Preparing For School

3 months, 2 weeks ago

Yuriy K.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Is 50 too old to start with pro-driver career?

Well, here is another update:

Got my CLP (Permit) and coming Monday, June 3rd, starting with SWIFT Academy training in Columbus, OH. Hopefully, their school is using manual transmission trucks. I really would like to learn to operate manual.

I decided to pay their tuition myself, to keep my options open. This should give me a freedom to leave without debt hanging over my shoulder, just in case it doesn't work out after a fair try - let's say 6 months or so.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Is 50 too old to start with pro-driver career?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have obtained my DOT card for 1 year from a local "driver friendly" physician. This Friday I am taking my first 3 tests for CLP - general knowledge, air brakes and combination vehicles. Monday have Hazmat endorsement exam scheduled with local DMW.

Meanwhile, I also talked to SWIFT. They have a very friendly recruiter who educated me on their options. Their pay rate for solo dry van rookie is $.37/mi, which seems to be slightly lower; however, their base is in Columbus, which is only 2 hrs drive time from my house.

I would appreciate your advice or any info you guys can help me with on SWIFT.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Is 50 too old to start with pro-driver career?

PackRat, that's exactly how I feel about this decision. It shall be my last adventure as well.

I am off to study for my CDL permit, and find "trucker friendly" doctor to do my physical test.

Thank you very much for information and words of encouragement! Bruce K, Donna M, PackRat, Old School, Bobcat Bob, Don, you replies helped me a lot!

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Is 50 too old to start with pro-driver career?

Weight might be an issue. If you are over a certain size you are almost certain to be tested for sleep apnea.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for words of encouragement. But I must ask, is sleep apnea something that would prevent me from getting through physical?

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Is 50 too old to start with pro-driver career?

Hello Ladies and Gents,

For many years I have been interested in trucking career, now life gives me an opportunity to step up and follow my desire. However, I am not a young lad anymore. I managed to get some extra weight and diabetes in those wonderful 50 that have gone by. In my research I've found 2 companies that offer paid CDL training. One is Prime, and another one is Roehl. Which one would you recommend for an older guy such as myself, who may need some extra patience from trainers, and has some health issues? Or is it too late for me?